‘It was done in cold blood’ – Keane’s assault on Haaland’s dad, 20 years on - The Athletic

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
I'd love to see a showdown between Erling Haaland and Roy Keane.

I'd frame it like an old Japanese Samurai movie where Erling avengers his father against Shogun Keane-Sama
RZA doing the score :drool:

Paxi

Bunch of pompous cnuts write for Athletic.

Paxi

What a daft twat. I can think of about a dozen worse incidents on the football pitch.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
Well the guy I quoted actually did. Or what would you call it?
I wasn’t defending it. I was saying he wasn’t trying to end his career/seriously injure him which is what the post I was replying to WRONGLY stated. I was correcting the typical hyperbole you get around the incident. It was a bad tackle. But to be perfectly honest the tackle is ridiculously overhyped as seen by the fact we have articles about it 20 fecking years later. Worse things are done every season on a football pitch that get swept under the carpet (Carragher on Nani springs to mind which actually resulted in Nani missing games) and get completely ignored. However, because a) It’s United b) It’s Roy Keane and c) He was honest and actually admitted he wanted to hurt him out of some twisted revenge for a previous incident - something which has happened in football since football began - here we all are still banging on about it.

Champagne Football

Yeah I get all that, I was around back then. Players like Ruddock, Wise, Keane etc.. are partly the reason the rules have been changed to protect players.

But I like Keane and for all his faults I generally think (though I'm clearly biased) he's an honourable guy. I'd still expect him to be able to hold his hands up and apologise, especially after his career had finished.

His claim he tried to hurt him but not injure him is horse-shit, honestly. Sure, he definitely could've done more damage if he'd tried to snap his leg. But the ferocity of that challenge could have easily buggerred up his knee for life.
It was a horror tackle indeed, but the fact that Utd had dominated the league for so long back then, meant the reaction from opposing fans and media was always going to be a little over the top when one of our players was involved.

Stuart Pearce was slightly before that period, but whenever he did a leg-breaker on someone, it was almost celebrated as he was playing at teams that were not dominating, was an English hero and was not a hate figure at most clubs.

On top of that I think Keane was probably the most hated player outside Man Utd, and one of the most loved at Utd, because he was the guy to go in hard against opposition players, if we were in a violent war with another team. So anything involving Keane was gonna get extra attention.

Heavy tackles were often celebrated and admired in that period, as much as a brilliant piece of skill. If your player could hurt an opposing player but make it look like an honest tackle, then it was often applauded.

Anyways no justifying it at all, but that particular tackle gets a lot more scrutiny and attention then similar horror tackles during the same period, but having a hatchet-man in your team was very much part of the game back then - Viera, Ruddock, Gattuso, Duncan Ferguson, Julian Dicks and then Stuart Pearce and Vinny Jones a little before then etc

Fingeredmouse

To be honest, it's the worst thing I've ever seen in any context not just on a football pitch. The sheer visceral horror of it means that whenever I close my eyes I see the full ghastly scenario played out in slow motion and I'll never escape this mental rotoscope of trauma.

Now, you might well say that there are worse tackles and worse incidents on football pitches across the World on a regular basis but my own subjective reaction to this most heinous of acts, this vile desecration of the sacred brotherhood of humanity, makes all these objectively worse and regular incidents pale into insignificance. We all know that this career ending tackle, irrespective of the fact that it wasn't a career ending tackle, is the single worst incident in the history of the sport of football ever and it is only our one eyed Man Utd bias that prevents us from admitting this.

Why are we even talking about Keane? It's the victims like Bernstein, who have to live with this abomination seared into their retina, and who are left with only the rending of their garments and the cold solace of alcohol as they attempt to mend the shattered remains of their lives and heal their scarred minds, that we should be thinking of.

DoomSlayer

To be honest, it's the worst thing I've ever seen in any context not just on a football pitch. The sheer visceral horror of it means that whenever I close my eyes I see the full ghastly scenario played out in slow motion and I'll never escape this mental rotoscope of trauma.

Now, you might well say that there are worse tackles and worse incidents on football pitches across the World on a regular basis but my own subjective reaction to this most heinous of acts, this vile desecration of the sacred brotherhood of humanity, makes all these objectively worse and regular incidents pale into insignificance. We all know that this career ending tackle, irrespective of the fact that it wasn't a career ending tackle, is the single worst incident in the history of the sport of football ever and it is only our one eyed Man Utd bias that prevents us from admitting this.

Why are we even talking about Keane? It's the victims like Bernstein, who have to live with this abomination seared into their retina, and who are left with only the rending of their garments and the cold solace of alcohol as they attempt to mend the shattered remains of their lives and heal their scarred minds, that we should be thinking of.
Nice. :lol:

Greck

He used hyperbolic language for sure but I don't know if that's enough to strawman the entire discussion.

Hughie77

Why bring this up now, it was dealt with 20 years ago, Keane got his ban, and deserved it, lets just move on, havent heard much about Cantona and his kung fu kick as they called it. And there been loads of others as well. I'm thinking theres and alterior motive behind this article and pointless.

90 + 5min

Good feature in The Athletic this week on the Haaland / Keane tackle.

Although this quote got me;

Apparently, he missed Ben Thatcher assaulting Pedro Mendes while he was playing for City or perhaps Michael Brown stamping on Ronaldo as he lay on the floor. What a ridiculous, hyperbole comment.
That was not even ner top of incidents that happened on the football pitch through history. Just one ugly high tackle on the knee. People are overreacting as always and making it bigger then it was. Similar ugly tackles happens about 50 times a season and nobody mentions it.

Zen

Why bring it up now? Because Keane and (not Alife) Haaland are popular at the moment....

Utd fans basically play it down, everyone else doesn't... same cycle.

cruseofried

Of course I can and I'm sure there are plenty of people that can show other challenges they feel are worse than the ones you're posting. Doesn’t make your opinion hyperbolic, the same way Bernstein saying, in his opinion, its the worse challenge he's seen.
I'd be inclined to ask Bernstein if it's comfortable under the rock where he lives. It's a wanton act of shit stirring.

snk123

Anyone else didn’t know before this thread that it was Haalands father or am i the only clueless one? :/

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I can't help but think about Cyril Rool's average game, these type of tackles were perfectly normal for him. Now of course the caf may not know him because he played in France only about once a month between suspensions but still, he owns the majority of horror tackles made in football history.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I can't help but think about Cyril Rool's average game, these type of tackles were perfectly normal for him. Now of course the caf may not know him because he played in France only about once a month between suspensions but still, he owns the majority of horror tackles made in football history.
Just googled him and holy moly those tackles.:eek:

Idxomer

Pointless journalism that only aims at creating fake outrage.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Haaland was supposed to be a right tosser and had wound Keane up a few years earlier. He should have expected something back, picking out Keane. Maybe he got more than he deserved but the article says it wasn’t actually Keane who ended his career.

Incidentally, I think Erling comes across as a bit of a tosser, too. I can’t see him signing for United, given his dad holds a grudge...

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
It was a horrible incident, but I've always thought if you're utterly insane enough to stand over Keane spewing abuse in his face when he's completely wrecked his knee, you know you're going to get some major retribution later on.

The "had to retire" myth has always been surprising, as Haaland played the next game.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
It was a horrible incident, but I've always thought if you're utterly insane enough to stand over Keane spewing abuse in his face when he's completely wrecked his knee, you know you're going to get some major retribution later on.

The "had to retire" myth has always been surprising, as Haaland played the next game.
I liked the bit about him winding up Collymore and getting sparked out. He comes across as a right weapon, as does Erling.

Cardboard elk

Supports
Rosenborg
Haaland was supposed to be a right tosser and had wound Keane up a few years earlier. He should have expected something back, picking out Keane. Maybe he got more than he deserved but the article says it wasn’t actually Keane who ended his career.

Incidentally, I think Erling comes across as a bit of a tosser, too. I can’t see him signing for United, given his dad holds a grudge...
You sound more like a tosser in your post than Erling Haaland or his father does imo. But Ive seen them both a lot in interviews in Norway. And I doubt either Haaland sr or Jr gives a shit about that tackle today. They will pick a club that is right for Erling, and will not even consider that tackle, it is media made stuff.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
You sound more like a tosser in your post than Erling Haaland or his father does imo. But Ive seen them both a lot in interviews in Norway. And I doubt either Haaland sr or Jr gives a shit about that tackle today. They will pick a club that is right for Erling, and will not even consider that tackle, it is media made stuff.
Exactly this.
Alfie Haaland won't hold a grudge against United, and certainly won't stop his son joining us if that's his best option.
Keane isn't connected to the club now, so even less reason.

Time heals old wounds as well. You have Southgate joking on panels about Keane stamping on him and suchlike.

Offsideagain

Bernstein is a joke. He was crap at the FA where he made up a rule to ban players for swearing on TV so he could ban Rooney from the FA cup semi against, let me see oh yes his former club Manchester City. We could all remember tackles that Kompany made and the nutter Balotelli but one that was on a par with Keane’s tackle was City player Ben Thatcher on Pedro Mendez of Portsmouth. That tackle was just sheer thuggery, at least Keane had a reason for his tackle and to be fair, if someone had spat at me and accused me of cheating whilst I was holding a ruptured knee, I think I would have done the same. City fans delight in saying it ended Haaland career which is untrue as usual. Bernstein turns the tv off if Keane is on, I turn it off if City are on, cannot stand the cheating, smug, spoiled twats.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Exactly this.
Alfie Haaland won't hold a grudge against United, and certainly won't stop his son joining us if that's his best option.
Keane isn't connected to the club now, so even less reason.

Time heals old wounds as well. You have Southgate joking on panels about Keane stamping on him and suchlike.
Did you read the interview? Alfie definitely was holding a grudge a few years after the events and it was specifically against United as well as Keane. Saying they’re an arrogant club and it’s no wonder so many people don’t like them. It doesn’t matter anyway as United probably aren’t his best option unless they get a top coach in.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Did you read the interview? Alfie definitely was holding a grudge a few years after the events and it was specifically against United as well as Keane. Saying they’re an arrogant club and it’s no wonder so many people don’t like them. It doesn’t matter anyway as United probably aren’t his best option unless they get a top coach in.
A few years isn't 20 years on though is it.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
It's strange this still bothers him as a City fan while his team have a huge lead, have a couple dozen matches in a row and will win their 5th league title and third in title in 4 seasons.

Moreover this incident involves someone who isn't even at the club.

But I hope City do what's right and thump United 8-0 in honour of the late Alf Haaland.

Roy Keane should be in Guantánamo Bay.

simplyared

This for me is one of the worst tackles I've seen. Doesn't look that bad maybe but it's well disguised and had devistating effect on Shaw's career. And to think the culprit didn't even walk!

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Anyone know what Haaland said to Keane, while he was on lying injured on the Elland Road pitch ?

MongeySpangle

Supports
Manchester City
Anyone know what Haaland said to Keane, while he was on lying injured on the Elland Road pitch ?
I think it was something along the lines of “get up, stop faking it”, but I could be wrong.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
He went for the ball and mistimed his tackle, the only thing that ended that day was Haaland's acting career.

Maticmaker

Noel Cantwell challenge on Dave Mackay in 1963.

The resulting incident more or less started a string of recurring problems for Mackay (out of the game for nearly two years mid 60's) that eventually ended his playing career.

At the time the tale was told that Cantwell was seeking revenge for a Mackay 'stamp' on Harry Gregg in a goal line incident that dislocated his shoulder. Think it was a Cup Winners 2nd round return leg at OT.

Giggsy13

This for me is one of the worst tackles I've seen. Doesn't look that bad maybe but it's well disguised and had devistating effect on Shaw's career. And to think the culprit didn't even walk!
I still shudder watching that footage. That shithouse scrub from PSG didn’t even get supplemental discipline from my understanding. At least Shaw is finally living up to his potential but both the physical and psychological toll he went thru must have been devastating for someone so young.

Skizzo

Tell me 3, if you can...
Luis Resto and Billy Collins (ended with prison time)
Jack Tatum on Stingley (ended with paralysis and no apology)
Kermit Washington on Tomjanovich (ended with a broken face and spinal fluid leaking into his mouth)
Tonya Harding
Todd Bertuzzi on Steve Moore (sucker punch and smashed his face into the ice)
Bill Romanowski on Marcus Williams (attacked his TEAMMATE in PRESEASON SCRIMMAGE and broke his eye socket and ended his career)

Thats boxing, ice hockey, American football and basketball covered.

Havent gotten to Marguerito, Malice at the Palace, Tyson, McSorley

also haven’t gone over any other football incidents, Thatcher, Ruddock etc.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.

Absolutely this, if you are dumb enough to stand over a nutter who is in absolute agony and wind him up, knowing full well he can’t do anything don’t be surprised when he recovers and comes looking for you.

Suedesi

And there’s teams players wouldn’t go near either even if they are a better side, if it’s me choosing between City or United a team my dad played for or a bitter rival that this happened to my dad, I think it would come into consideration.
“My impression is that Alfie and the team around Erling Haaland have one main interest and that is Erling Haaland,” says Dag Langerod, the Norway-based chief editor for United’s Scandinavian supporters’ club. “Everyone I have talked to, who knows or has talked to people who know Alfie, accept that Roy and Alfie will never be best friends, but not one of these people believe the Keane-Alfie incident will affect Erling’s club choice.”

Suedesi

:lol: :lol: :lol: