‘It was done in cold blood’ – Keane’s assault on Haaland’s dad, 20 years on - The Athletic

Deery

Dreary
“My impression is that Alfie and the team around Erling Haaland have one main interest and that is Erling Haaland,” says Dag Langerod, the Norway-based chief editor for United’s Scandinavian supporters’ club. “Everyone I have talked to, who knows or has talked to people who know Alfie, accept that Roy and Alfie will never be best friends, but not one of these people believe the Keane-Alfie incident will affect Erling’s club choice.”
I guess we’ll just have to wait and see, I’m not saying it the deciding factor but you can see that if people are even talking that way then it’s still at the back of the mind.

Rampant Red Rodriguez

Scared of women, so hates them.
Why do they need to bring up this information and do a whole write up about it when we're trying to get the cnut?. I hope we never deal with them again because of this insubordination towards us. Wankers.

Deery

Dreary
Why do they need to bring up this information and do a whole write up about it when we're trying to get the cnut?. I hope we never deal with them again because of this insubordination towards us. Wankers.
It’s because United sell papers, we’re the big draw and controversial sells.

MU655

What is the point of arguing what is worse? What is worse depends on what happens to you. Keane's foul could have completely destroyed Haaland's knee. It was dangerous enough to stop a person running for the rest of their life, or even make it a struggle to walk. Such an impact could really hamper someone's life. It is a risk with sports, but when it is potentially done on purpose it is another matter.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
You're talking out of your arse as I say, you cannot watch this and tell me ANYONE can think Keane's challenge was the worst he's seen, it's hyperbolic nonsense.

Just wish the camera held on the referee for a bit longer to see how many refs bottled their decisions.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
What is the point of arguing what is worse? What is worse depends on what happens to you. Keane's foul could have completely destroyed Haaland's knee. It was dangerous enough to stop a person running for the rest of their life, or even make it a struggle to walk. Such an impact could really hamper someone's life. It is a risk with sports, but when it is potentially done on purpose it is another matter.
Many tackles are worse. But they're occupational hazard. Keane's was premeditated.

And how can keane be sure his tackle doesnt cause long term injury, unless he can calculate momentum and point of impact to the level of brain surgeon his tackle is dangerous. Just because it doesn't end Halaands career doesnt make it any better.

SirAF

Ageist

It was done in «cold blood»? Nah, it was boiling Irish blood :keano:

Dominos

This for me is one of the worst tackles I've seen. Doesn't look that bad maybe but it's well disguised and had devistating effect on Shaw's career. And to think the culprit didn't even walk!
To me, he's tried to block the potential shot/cross to prevent a goal and the tackling leg is not high, and has got the ball. His trailing leg has gone through Shaw, but it would take some incredible skill to go into a challenge thinking I'm going to win the ball cleanly with my lead tackling leg and snap him in half with my trailing leg, and pull it off.

You can make the argument that any tackle with enough force to break a leg is excessive and therefore should be a red, I can perfectly understand that. But the caf narrative that he's purposely gone to do Shaw some damage in this challenge I can't buy.

simplyared

To me, he's tried to block the potential shot/cross to prevent a goal and the tackling leg is not high, and has got the ball. His trailing leg has gone through Shaw, but it would take some incredible skill to go into a challenge thinking I'm going to win the ball cleanly with my lead tackling leg and snap him in half with my trailing leg, and pull it off.

You can make the argument that any tackle with enough force to break a leg is excessive and therefore should be a red, I can perfectly understand that. But the caf narrative that he's purposely gone to do Shaw some damage in this challenge I can't buy.
I'm not one of those saying he's purposely gone out to damage Shaw. However the tackle in itself is idiotic, reckless, horrendous and one of the worst I've seen. Shaw hasn't a chance to brace himself and takes the full impact. There could only be one outcome. It could have ended Shaw's career and the defender was allowed to carry on.
The Keane incident wasn't even a tackle but an act of premeditated violence. That said in terms of damage done the Shaw incident was worse.

EngimaMK

Jesus, are people still raking over this old nonsense?

Slow news day.

Chief123

Just seen a recent interview with Alfie Haaland talking about Roy Keane. You can see he certainly blames Keane for effectively ending his career.

He mentions how he played for 8 years in a row without getting injured but after that tackle it was the last 90 minutes he’s ever played.

I’m interested to see if Erling Haaland blanks Roy Keane in these pitch side interviews sky have been doing ala Ronaldo on Carragher!

ilrm

Supports
Real Madrid
United fans should stop doing this to themselves ... Haaland would've 100% joined United if they were at City's level. At the end of the day every (normal) Dad wants his son to outdo him and give him the best chance at doing so. Roy Keane has nothing to do with it.

Irwin99

I read Stan Collymore knocked him out in training once for talking crap; seems quite an obnoxious guy by a lot of accounts.

Tyrion

Just seen a recent interview with Alfie Haaland talking about Roy Keane. You can see he certainly blames Keane for effectively ending his career.

He mentions how he played for 8 years in a row without getting injured but after that tackle it was the last 90 minutes he’s ever played.

I’m interested to see if Erling Haaland blanks Roy Keane in these pitch side interviews sky have been doing ala Ronaldo on Carragher!

He probably should. I like Keane as a player but he is an extremely angry guy with little self control who tried to break a guys leg. He's fairly mental. If he wasn't a footballer, he'd probably have ended up in prison imo.

Keane sin is haunting US now.
Haaland didn't join City because of Keane. This is silly.

cyberman

It’s not true though. His knee was giving out on him before the game. He was really struggling with it and played with it strapped up. His knee gave out on him the next game and had surgery on it which didn’t go well.
It’s still a cowardly move but medical experts literally told him what he claimed is impossible and didn’t happen that made him drop his lawsuit against Roy.

Giggsy13

Yes Alfie it was done in cold blood you dumb cnut. Keano has repeatedly said it was revenge and he’s proud of it.

croadyman

United fans should stop doing this to themselves ... Haaland would've 100% joined United if they were at City's level. At the end of the day every (normal) Dad wants his son to outdo him and give him the best chance at doing so. Roy Keane has nothing to do with it.
Hard to reach their level when we haven't got a bottomless pit of Arab cash, we actually have to adhere to FFP unlike City who just scare authorities into submission

ilrm

Supports
Real Madrid
Hard to reach their level when we haven't got a bottomless pit of Arab cash, we actually have to adhere to FFP unlike City who just scare authorities into submission
But has that stopped United from spending as much as City? Its not as if United spent a lot on infrastructure and now they don't have money for players.
A bit off topic but: I still can't believe how your owners can be so blind to hiring the world's top-most sporting directors. In the US, the "General Manager" is a key driver for any of the MLB/NBA/NFL teams, at times even more than a head coach. So its not as if this is a new concept to people who own an NFL team. How are they still so blind to this? A world class sporting director would've balanced the books and spent $1billion very well. I bet Rangnick would've spent 200m better than EtH.
Seriously - United fans should land up at their office (legally!) and just ask them this.

croadyman

But has that stopped United from spending as much as City? Its not as if United spent a lot on infrastructure and now they don't have money for players.
A bit off topic but: I still can't believe how your owners can be so blind to hiring the world's top-most sporting directors. In the US, the "General Manager" is a key driver for any of the MLB/NBA/NFL teams, at times even more than a head coach. So its not as if this is a new concept to people who own an NFL team. How are they still so blind to this? A world class sporting director would've balanced the books and spent $1billion very well. I bet Rangnick would've spent 200m better than EtH.
Seriously - United fans should land up at their office (legally!) and just ask them this.
Only have to look at the Murtough era thread to see how much we want a proper DOF like Mitchell/Campos, however nothing we can do about our jobs for the boys FC stance

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
If his son didnt become the player that he is right now, no one would ever talk about this.

"Live and let live" - Bill Cosby

Sir Erik ten Hag

Imagine the drama if Mctominay tackled Haaland in a similar manner in our last match? We'd NEVER hear the end of it.

HookedOnAPhelan

Dortmund CEO Watzke confirmed that Haaland would've joined us if we'd been willing to insert a release clause back in 2020. This incident has nothing to do with him rejecting us in 2022, it has to do with us being a chaotic shitshow for the past decade.

I'm sure Haaland and his lying cnut dad would claim otherwise now though.

Dr. StrangeHate

City has spent billions just on infrastructure, academy and buying other clubs (including one for Pep's brother). They have also shown to be paying players and managers through other means as per leaks. Do you honestly think the Haaland figures or other official figures are correct?

Zen86

Is it time for us to denounce Roy Keane to appease the almighty Haalands? It could buy us favour in future.

Real Name

Imagine the drama if Mctominay tackled Haaland in a similar manner in our last match? We'd NEVER hear the end of it.
If anything we were too nice to them on Sunday, even afraid.

Compare that to Martinez bringing down Slalah and then pushing him a bit few mintes in the Liverpool game..

Polar

City has spent billions just on infrastructure, academy and buying other clubs (including one for Pep's brother). They have also shown to be paying players and managers through other means as per leaks. Do you honestly think the Haaland figures or other official figures are correct?
We (United) shouldn’t talk much about spending:lol: City spends billions and have success, while United spends billions without success.

City definitely gets more value for the money and even more if we take wages into consideration
  • Against us they played with Akanji (€18m) and Ake (€45m). We played Martinez (€57m)and Varane (€40m+).
  • Diaz (€72) and Rodri (€63m) vs Maguire (€87m), Casemiro (€70m), Bruno (€63m).
  • Alvarez (€17m) vs Diallo and DVB:wenger:
Ok. City paid a lot for Grealish, but we didn’t pay that much less for Antony, and it’s not difficult to argue Grealish defends the difference (better and more proven player).

Malacia (€15m) was a descent transfer for us price wise, but again City paid €13m for Gomez.

So I suppose City has some billions left (compared with United) because of smarter transfers and lower wages - which they can spend on infrastructure and academy instead.