‘Justice for Heysel’

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
It does, but not as much in England, because the English press will obviously report more on when the government vilified football fans after 96 English fans died. I’m sure Heysel gets more attention in Italy.

My issue with the chant is that it’s using the deaths of football fans for political capital, for want of a better term.
Can only speak for myself, but here in Germany I believe Heysel is sort of the epitome of football related catastrophes. Most of those tragedies were long before since luckily there hasn't been anything like that in the past 20 years or so. But the only one I really know is Heysel. I kind of associated the name Hillsborough with a catastrophe, too, but I couldn't have told you what actually happened until today.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
The point is not that Liverpool fans should feel guilty for the actions of their fellow fans at that match, but the fact that you as a fanbase and as a club, coupled with the media do not commemorate it so.it feels like it is swept under the carpet. Yet when Hillsboroughs anniversary comes round each year there is (rightfully so) lots of media coverage and remembrance.
Great post*

Tel074

What a stupid thing to post. I literally just saw this thread and was reading through it.

Heysel is a man made tragedy just like Hillsborough was. Am I supposed to feel like I’m somehow responsible for what those monsters did?

May those who died RIP.

Did Liverpool as a club post anything regarding the Heysel Anniversary?

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Edit: actually never mind, I don't want to get involved with this discussion.

Last edited:

macheda14

The fans are correct because they have never had Justice for Heysel . Yes they do it at Liverpool games and surely that is the time to sing it because that's what the Scousers want the world to forget . I genuinely thought you meant they sang some song with lyrics so terrible by your OP.
If people singing justice for Heysel upsets you so much I'd maybe start going to tennis games instead ..

Juventus fans would be glad other teams fans sing Justice for Heysel because it shows not everyone has forgotten. Yes maybe it's to get one up on the Scousers but they would have sang it this weekend if we played Norwich .

Everton fans would sing Justice for the 96 at derby games . Would that have upset you as well
You’re being wilfully ignorant and missing my point completely.

Reads more like a hollow attempt to weaponise a tragedy than a genuine call for justice but that's just me.
Exactly.

@Tel074 read the post by @sullydnl directly above this to see a better explanation.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
RIP to those that lost their lives.

Amazed to see no condolences from any of our resident LFC fans given how this tragedy unfolded. All to busy posting in the PL thread about their precious title.
From what I've seen on social media over the last two months or so, Liverpool fans haven't exactly covered themselves in glory. For example, Troy Deeney received horrible abuse for questioning the return of the PL and most of the abuse I seen was coming from Liverpool fans. Same goes for anyone else who was questioning the return and if it was safe to do so.

RIP to all who died in this awful tragedy. It doesn't get anywhere near enough media coverage in this country. I didn't see many clubs or football people in general offering their condolences yesterday. It was disappointing to see.

Tel074

You’re being wilfully ignorant and missing my point completely.

Exactly.

@Tel074 read the post by @sullydnl directly above this to see a better explanation.

I'm not missing your point at all I'm just completely disagreeing with you. I have said yes United fans may do it to get one up on Liverpool fans but for United fans to sing this on and around the Anniversary and at Liverpool games for me is a good thing not this awful shameful thing you are trying to make it out to be . You seem to think you know what thosuands of United fans think when they sing this song ?
Maybe they just would like to see some Justice for Heysel just like the majority of United fans where glad to see Justice for the 96

Tel074

Every year they lay a wreath by the permanent memorial to Heysel at Anfield. It's normally the owner or captain or manager. Not sure about this year with Covid.

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/an...s-34th-anniversary-of-heysel-stadium-disaster

I'm not sure what else they can really do whilst keeping it respectful, given the circumstances.

I think Liverpool as a club could make a gesture to Juventus and probably should have a long long time ago to have some kind of joint Commemorative service or even a match with all funds being donated to a charity close to the tragedy.

duffer

Scout
I'm not missing your point at all I'm just completely disagreeing with you. I have said yes United fans may do it to get one up on Liverpool fans but for United fans to sing this on and around the Anniversary and at Liverpool games for me is a good thing not this awful shameful thing you are trying to make it out to be . You seem to think you know what thosuands of United fans think when they sing this song ?
Maybe they just would like to see some Justice for Heysel just like the majority of United fans where glad to see Justice for the 96
What would be "Justice" for Heysel?

Mettaur

Supports
Liverpool
Liverpool do this every year though. They also allowed the plaque to be freely accessible by the public every year (not sure about this year but probably not)

Tel074

What would be "Justice" for Heysel?
I'm not a Juventus fan or Italian but like I stated earlier my family are and they would like to see Liverpool as a club make some kind of gesture to Juve . Liverpool have swept this under the carpet , Yes they had their own tragedy a few years later which the club and city as a whole fought a long hard battle to get justice . From my families stance they would have liked to see Liverpool as a city and club show even a small fraction of that to the Heysel tragedy . I personally have no idea what Juventus as a club and Turin as a city would consider Justice

DoubleDinhos

Liverpool Fan

Amazed to see no condolences from any of our resident LFC fans given how this tragedy unfolded. All to busy posting in the PL thread about their precious title.
This isn't really a thread of commemoration, and that much is obvious by the agendas that have slipped in within a few posts. Any discussion like this is of course haunted by point scoring, and that is evident here.

That being said, Heysel is a tragedy and stain on the club that will quite rightly never go away. It took far too long for the club to acknowledge responsibility, and more can be done to educate fans about that history.

It would demean the tragedy at hand to get into it, but it still boggles my mind how people make references to Hillsborough relative to this when the circumstances surrounding the legal response were vastly different, and that's where the difference about coverage lies. It's in the specific context of institutional cover-ups where "justice" became a slogan for Hillsborough.

duffer

Scout
I'm not a Juventus fan or Italian but like I stated earlier my family are and they would like to see Liverpool as a club make some kind of gesture to Juve . Liverpool have swept this under the carpet , Yes they had their own tragedy a few years later which the club and city as a whole fought a long hard battle to get justice . From my families stance they would have liked to see Liverpool as a city and club show even a small fraction of that to the Heysel tragedy . I personally have no idea what Juventus as a club and Turin as a city would consider Justice
It's not Juve fans singing for "Justice" though. If you've no idea what justice would be, why sing for it?

I remember a few years ago when Liverpool played Juve, Liverpool fans had a banner of apoligy and half the Juve fans literally turned their backs to it. It's still raw to many of them and I can't imagine any situation where they'd appreciate the worst tragedy in their history being used as an insult.

Steven Seagull

Football tribalism really is weird. People post about tragic subjects like this as if they’re talking about a different species rather than just a group of people

I mean feck me. Grow up

TheReligion

Abusive
It's not Juve fans singing for "Justice" though. If you've no idea what justice would be, why sing for it?

I remember a few years ago when Liverpool played Juve, Liverpool fans had a banner of apoligy and half the Juve fans literally turned their backs to it. It's still raw to many of them and I can't imagine any situation where they'd appreciate the worst tragedy in their history being used as an insult.
I think when you look into why they turned their backs to them, and gave them the finger, you'll understand more.

TheReligion

Abusive
They blame them for the death of their brothers. Got nothing to do with "justice".
Of course but there are reasons why they have never moved on and forgiven the club, as touched on a little already. Obviously in recent times LFC has tried to make things right but at the time the clubs behaviour wasn't particularly great and alot of that still leaves a bad taste for many.

Tel074

Ok well I don't sing it ??

Yeah I remember that and that gesture really stuck in the throat of alot of Juve fans because in their eyes that friendship banner was a complete joke as Liverpool as a club swept the matter under the carpet since the tragedy.
Anyhow I hope Liverpool can find some way to join with Juventus and do something in the memory of the dead and hopefully put the matter to bed .

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
It's a pity that the 'usual' group of Liverpool* fans who write here. everywhere and about anything, do not regale us with their opinions about Heysel.
Doesn't say much about them does it?

Last edited:

duffer

Scout
It's a pity that the 'usual' group of Liverpool* fans who write here. everywhere and about anything, do not regales us with their opinions about Heysel.
Doesn't say much about them does it?
If 2020 wasn't weird enough, you lamenting the lack of opposition (especially of the Scouse variety) posts on Redcafe might just be the most unexpected thing to happen.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
If 2020 wasn't weird enough, you lamenting the lack of opposition (especially of the Scouse variety) posts on Redcafe might just be the most unexpected thing to happen.
There's always a time when one may be surprised in life.

Tel074

Then probably a bit pointless you speaking on behalf of those who do sing it.
Kind of the same pointless exercise having a conversation with you and the same pointlessness of a Liverpool fan being in a United fans group

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
I'm sorry but this reminds me of when people are amazed that Muslims don't come out and give their condolences for a terrorist attack.

I'm positive that Liverpool fans have given condolences for this over many a year. And at the same time these same fans should not be made to feel as though they themselves are somehow responsible for these deaths.

"Houlier than though" attitudes stink in football.

Forgot to add (and it goes without saying) RIP to the lives lost that terrible day.
Was that intentional?

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
I mean it's pretty easy to check and see for yourself that they did post about it on facebook and other social media as well as putting a new wreath at the permanent memorial to Heysel at Anfield.

User like @christinaa or @TheReligion using this thread straight away for cheap points scoring is a weird example of football tribalism and actually reflects worse on them than fictional "Liverpool fans ignoring this thread" or something.

TheReligion

Abusive
I mean it's pretty easy to check and see for yourself that they did post about it on facebook and other social media as well as putting a new wreath at the permanent memorial to Heysel at Anfield.

User like @christinaa or @TheReligion using this thread straight away for cheap points scoring is a weird example of football tribalism and actually reflects worse on them than fictional "Liverpool fans ignoring this thread" or something.
The Caf is a fragile little place these days it seems.

Tel074

Sensitive bunch you lot . I asked a simple question but I suppose Heysel is so deeply buried in Liverpool's history it's not something we should talk about .

Ashamed of nothing offended by everything

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Sensitive bunch you lot . I asked a simple question but I suppose Heysel is so deeply buried in Liverpool's history it's not something we should talk about .

Ashamed of nothing offended by everything
That's not the issue at all. I know you're a newbie so you won't have known about posts/threads re Heysel and Hillsborough in the early days of the Cafe. It often descended into the kind of toxicity you're more likely to encounter on social media. The Hillsborough disaster in particular divided fans so much that rational debate went out of the window.

I'm not sure what answer you're after really. I know a lot of decent Liverpool fans going back to the 70's and they were all shocked and disgusted by the actions of their fans. They weren't there so can only feel guilt at the actions of some of their so called fans who wanted to fight. Liverpool FC have commemorated the tragedy and the city has sent delegates to Turin etc. Beyond that, what individual supporters do is up to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.