‘Ole’s recruitment has been great’ narrative

Cathy Ferguson

How much did Mings cost? 26m? AWB is solid defensively, but does not even look like a 15m right back going forward.
Not overly impressed.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
I think all our signings were the correct ones. It’s definitely not great, but it’s the right direction. Even if they aren’t world beaters, that doesn’t mean they can’t be great for depth. We also have to accept that we will be paying higher prices in the meantime unfortunately.

TheReligion

Abusive
3 players were signed in the summer. £130m spent on two players to improve the defence. A defence that can’t keep a clean sheet.

We have spent a world record fee for a defender who is a nothing more than a solid CB. He doesn’t partner with Lindelof because both of them lack pace.

AWB is mirroring Antonio Valencia when going forward. His attacking weaknesses were mentioned by many on here before we signed him.

And finally Daniel James. The gamble that didn’t make much sense. We have two very young forwards in Rashford and Martial. Ole knew Lukaku and Sanchez wanted to leave. Surely then we should have gone for a more experienced player? James’ favoured position is LW, which is Rashford’s position. He’s being played out of position.
Baffling post. Really really baffling and knee jerk. To criticise Dan James who has been an absolute breath of fresh air is beyond silly and naive. He's a superb prospect and is showing it in the PL and at international level.

With regards to Maguire yes we overpaid but he's an improvement on what we had. The same goes for AWB.

I'm sure the majority on this forum have very short memories. I think to give the new signings a fair crack we could do with putting out a competent central midfield. That's where the issue is and that's where the criticism should be leveled. That said I genuinely believe when Pogba and Mctominay return things will look much healthier and you'll see a more solid, stable side.

Sparky Rhiwabon

AWB would have been great 10 years ago when the full back position was predominantly about the defensive side. But in the modern game they need to be an integral part of the attack, and that's their main role. Look at Liverpool's pair with 11 assists so far in the League so far between them. Has AWB got any?

El Zoido

Doesn’t anyone find it odd just how many good players come to United, and then gradually turn crap. It’s not a “narrative” that his recruitment has been good, we desperately needed a RB and signed one of the best ones in the league. We signed one of the best CB’s in the league (overpaid of course, but that’s irrelevant), it wasn’t a desperate position to fill but we had 6 mediocre players there and it was important. James is a raw young talent, but he looks good.

But like every other player we sign, after a while, they start to look bad. Seriously, can you name a single player we’ve signed over the last five years who we haven’t ruined? Been saying this for years, but if we signed Messi he’d look like Bebe after three months and you’d have fans on the caf saying he’s garbage. This happens CONSTANTLY, at some point you have to stop blaming the players. We let Smalling go out on loan and he looks like fecking prime Paolo Maldini! Get him back here and I guarantee within a couple of months he’ll have made mistakes and you’ll have fans on his back saying he’s shite and we need to sign someone better. You can blame Ole’s coaching, but this problem isn’t exclusive to him. In terms of recruitment, they were the ideal targets.

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
We bought potential and do not have the coaching team to develop that potential as evidenced by zero players improving in the tenure of Ole and his coaching team.

I'd give them a chance are a real manager and coach before writing them off.

Enigma_87

You know who
I think all our signings were the correct ones. It’s definitely not great, but it’s the right direction. Even if they aren’t world beaters, that doesn’t mean they can’t be great for depth. We also have to accept that we will be paying higher prices in the meantime unfortunately.
Watching a rerun of Leicester - Everton. Ricardo Pereira got beaten for Richarlison goal, but what a performance at both ends. Fantastic player, that costed 25m EUR 2 years ago and is probably the best right back/wing back in the league if we look at both ends(alongside TAA).

Caglar Soyuncu - another one for peanuts(around 20m EUR), makes Maguire like he's not missed at all.

Two players that were brought in for less than AWB and were not that far off in terms of quality. Yet we call spending 150m pounds on Maguire and AWB a great piece of business...:houllier:

Robbie Boy

His recruitment is overrated on here by his staunch defender but it’s been grand. AWB will be great for us, James will be a handy squad option but Maguire was a waste of money imo. He’s ok, better than what we had but he’s smack bang average. Anyhow, I want Ole gone but this isn’t really a great stick to beat him with.

Ludens the Red

Whats concerning is that the performances of Wan Bissaka and Maguire are declining as they spend each passing week amongst this squad and the coaching staff. On paper it made sense to sign them both (although a mf should have been the priority over a cb). It's just so damning on the coaches at the club. The first few weeks of the season these two were excellent, that's all disappearing now. Honestly you just get so many examples week in week out of how bad a job the coaches at our club are doing. I've seen zero improvement in Wan Bissakas offensive game and worse yet Maguire appears to be losing the ability to do basic defending.

Josep Dowling

James is the one that's come off without any doubt though.
It's not his fault he's having to start every game as the rest of the squad is so bare.
Going into the transfer window we knew Lukaku wanted out. Ole favoured Rashford and Martial so they were likely to start. That left us requiring a RW. I don’t understand why we would sign a young player who plays Rashford’s position whilst ignoring the other wing (yet again).

I just wish someone in the club or someone in the know would tell us who’s to blame for the incompetence in transfer windows.

Baffling post. Really really baffling and knee jerk. To criticise Dan James who has been an absolute breath of fresh air is beyond silly and naive. He's a superb prospect and is showing it in the PL and at international level.

With regards to Maguire yes we overpaid but he's an improvement on what we had. The same goes for AWB.

I'm sure the majority on this forum have very short memories. I think to give the new signings a fair crack we could do with putting out a competent central midfield. That's where the issue is and that's where the criticism should be leveled. That said I genuinely believe when Pogba and Mctominay return things will look much healthier and you'll see a more solid, stable side.
As I stated in another post the expectations on the signing were low because he cost £18m and came from the Championship. He hasn’t been as good as many United fans make out. There is no way he should be a guaranteed starter for us.

Josep Dowling

Doesn’t anyone find it odd just how many good players come to United, and then gradually turn crap. It’s not a “narrative” that his recruitment has been good, we desperately needed a RB and signed one of the best ones in the league. We signed one of the best CB’s in the league (overpaid of course, but that’s irrelevant), it wasn’t a desperate position to fill but we had 6 mediocre players there and it was important. James is a raw young talent, but he looks good.

But like every other player we sign, after a while, they start to look bad. Seriously, can you name a single player we’ve signed over the last five years who we haven’t ruined? Been saying this for years, but if we signed Messi he’d look like Bebe after three months and you’d have fans on the caf saying he’s garbage. This happens CONSTANTLY, at some point you have to stop blaming the players. We let Smalling go out on loan and he looks like fecking prime Paolo Maldini! Get him back here and I guarantee within a couple of months he’ll have made mistakes and you’ll have fans on his back saying he’s shite and we need to sign someone better. You can blame Ole’s coaching, but this problem isn’t exclusive to him. In terms of recruitment, they were the ideal targets.
This is very true. But how can you explain this when each manager has had different coaching staff? Is it expectation / pressure / too much money?

TheReligion

Abusive
Going into the transfer window we knew Lukaku wanted out. Ole favoured Rashford and Martial so they were likely to start. That left us requiring a RW. I don’t understand why we would sign a young player who plays Rashford’s position whilst ignoring the other wing (yet again).

I just wish someone in the club or someone in the know would tell us who’s to blame for the incompetence in transfer windows.

As I stated in another post the expectations on the signing were low because he cost £18m and came from the Championship. He hasn’t been as good as many United fans make out. There is no way he should be a guaranteed starter for us.
He's been great irrespective of what you believe his status in the squad is. He's a solid signing and looks set for a very bright future. I find it bizarre you're using him to make a point about poor transfer business when his acquisition is the total opposite of poor. Really devalues the point you're making.

Why was he signed? Using logic I'd gather we had already agreed it prior to Lukaku and Sanchez going. I'd of thought that would be obvious. Both left late in the window and as it's unfolded James has had to feature more than likely planned. I'm not sure why it's hard to grasp but either way I'm really happy with his signing and I'm genuinely amazed to see a United fan complain about it.

crossy1686

career ending
I love that its Ole's signings at fault, while it was an academy prospect who made an absolute bone head decision coming out from the back.
Wasn't really his fault, the whole defence was asleep and he's 18/19. Hard to blame him for that when no one else wanted to deal with Mings.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
Wasn't really his fault, the whole defence was asleep and he's 18/19. Hard to blame him for that when no one else wanted to deal with Mings.
What do you mean the whole defence was asleep? The whole fecking defence had pushed up to leave 4 of Villa's players offside except for Williams who was feck arsing around at the back. He is entirely to blame for their goal. It was his feck up that lead to the corner, his feck up that cost the goal.

He is inexperienced and fecked up. I dont hold it against him, but this forum is fecking deluded if they think that the other three defenders were at fault for the goal.

el3mel

I love that its Ole's signings at fault, while it was an academy prospect who made an absolute bone head decision coming out from the back.
No one said they're at fault, but at the same time not as great as people were forcing them to be. James was the only who exceeded the expectation so far. For 50m and 80m, we should expect more than a defensive while offensively bang average FB and an averagely performing CB respectively.

Josep Dowling

He's been great irrespective of what you believe his status in the squad is. He's a solid signing and looks set for a very bright future. I find it bizarre you're using him to make a point about poor transfer business when his acquisition is the total opposite of poor. Really devalues the point you're making.

Why was he signed? Using logic I'd gather we had already agreed it prior to Lukaku and Sanchez going. I'd of thought that would be obvious. Both left late in the window and as it's unfolded James has had to feature more than likely planned. I'm not sure why it's hard to grasp but either way I'm really happy with his signing and I'm genuinely amazed to see a United fan complain about it.
My gripe is having sold striker for £60m we paid £75m for and a winger we were willing to pay £500k a week we decide their quality could be replaced with one player from the Championship. That is my gripe.

Everyone moaned about Lukaku yet he starts every week for a team now top of Serie A.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
His recruitment is overrated on here by his staunch defender but it’s been grand. AWB will be great for us, James will be a handy squad option but Maguire was a waste of money imo. He’s ok, better than what we had but he’s smack bang average. Anyhow, I want Ole gone but this isn’t really a great stick to beat him with.
His most expensive signing is a waste
of money in your words but its not a stick to beat him with?

TheReligion

Abusive
My gripe is having sold striker for £60m we paid £75m for and a winger we were willing to pay £500k a week we decide their quality could be replaced with one player from the Championship. That is my gripe.

Everyone moaned about Lukaku yet he starts every week for a team now top of Serie A.
Why is the thread having a go at Maguire, Wan Bissaka and James then when that's your issue?

I don't follow.

the opinion on Lukaku is divided on this forum. I’m of the opinion that we are far better off without him (even if there’s a gap in the short term) - but that debate has been done to death, and let’s go to the lukuku thread if we want to take it further.

however, I doubt there is a single person who would advocate Sanchez being in the side? He wouldn’t help us would he? How many minutes has he actually played for inter? Seems to miraculously be fit for international matches and constantly injured. Don’t worry though, he’s likely to be back with us in the summer as no one in their right kind is going to buy him.

Josep Dowling

Why is the thread having a go at Maguire, Wan Bissaka and James then when that's your issue?

I don't follow.
The only argument left from the Ole in brigade is his recruitment has been very good.

He focused on the defence, spending £130m yet we can’t get a clean sheet. I realise this isn’t just down to the defence but also the team defending as a unit.

Fellaini went in January, the club knew Herrera wasn’t going to extend his contract. He also hasn’t fancied Matic since he took over. Surely then he should have targeted CM? There was no genuine effort to purchase one.

This isn’t just about the 3 players that came in but assessing his recruitment as a whole.

Personally I would have been happy seeing us sign AWB and seeing how important Herrera was to his system replacing him should have been his number 1 priority. Instead he targets a CB that is never worth the money we paid for him.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
3 players were signed in the summer. £130m spent on two players to improve the defence. A defence that can’t keep a clean sheet.

We have spent a world record fee for a defender who is a nothing more than a solid CB. He doesn’t partner with Lindelof because both of them lack pace.

AWB is mirroring Antonio Valencia when going forward. His attacking weaknesses were mentioned by many on here before we signed him.

And finally Daniel James. The gamble that didn’t make much sense. We have two very young forwards in Rashford and Martial. Ole knew Lukaku and Sanchez wanted to leave. Surely then we should have gone for a more experienced player? James’ favoured position is LW, which is Rashford’s position. He’s being played out of position.
Dunno where people get James being better on the left from. Our best football has come with him countering on the right, finding Rashford or Martial with crosses or passes on the run.

izec

His most expensive signing is a waste
of money in your words but its not a stick to beat him with?
He probably means that there are so many issues on the coaching side of things, that the Maguire case isnt needed as evidence to make him look bad.

Maguire was also on Jose's list to be fair, he was the logical CB target that summer and we were crying out for one. We overpaid by a lot, but we do so with most transfers these days.

Josep Dowling

the opinion on Lukaku is divided on this forum. I’m of the opinion that we are far better off without him (even if there’s a gap in the short term) - but that debate has been done to death, and let’s go to the lukuku thread if we want to take it further.

however, I doubt there is a single person who would advocate Sanchez being in the side? He wouldn’t help us would he? How many minutes has he actually played for inter? Seems to miraculously be fit for international matches and constantly injured. Don’t worry though, he’s likely to be back with us in the summer as no one in their right kind is going to buy him.
I thought we could do better than Lukaku as he wasn’t the right fit but he needed to be adequately replaced. He has 11 goals in 17 games this season. He scores goal and we don’t score.

Icardi was easily attainable given his situation at Milan and them wanting both Lukaku and Sanchez. He has 10 goals in 12 games for PSG.

Scholsey2004

People are wanting to sack Solskjaer simply because they know Ed Woodward won't be sacked. Solskjaer didn't turn us into a mid table side. Woodward did that. And we most definitely are a mid table side irrespective of our wage structure. Solskjaer's had one transfer window and just three signings. We've got a stack load of highly paid dead wood and a world class midfielder who's been going through the motions for some time now. There are glaring issues with the squad because Ed and his people don't know what they're doing. Sacking Solskjaer doesn't solve that.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
He probably means that there are so many issues on the coaching side of things, that the Maguire case isnt needed as evidence to make him look bad.

Maguire was also on Jose's list to be fair, he was the logical CB target that summer and we were crying out for one. We overpaid by a lot, but we do so with most transfers these days.
Reports were that Jose was against spending more than 50m on Maguire.

Maguire was a club choice clearly

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Surely we could have bought a decent centre back for less than 80 mill?
We should have bought at least one midfielder and a centre forward.
Until we get some quality in midfield we have no hope.

thejtrain

I love this part. Except maybe first few matches, Lindelof was much better than Maguire but he is the problem?
Look at Villa game. Can you name one mistake or bad reaction from Lindelof? On the other hand, Maguire was all over the place.
But yeah, Lindelof is the problem for Maguire being average defender
I wasn't necessarily implying that Maguire is poor because of having Lindelof alongside, but I just think they are very similar players, with similar strengths and weaknesses, so they aren't great together most of the time. If it's between the two of them for a spot, I can see managers preferring Maguire to Lindelof.

tenpoless

British core.

Anyway I wouldn't blame the new players that much, anyone bar Messi and Ronaldo will look shit in a team without midfield and no tactics other than run faster than the opponent to score a goal.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Although I'd like to see these players under a quality manager, I'd agree that there are question marks. For example Maguire looks like the player I thought he was. Good all round CB, but not exceptional. For the fee we spent you'd expect someone top class. I've liked AWB but his quality and potency going forward is a huge concern. In the modern game your fullbacks are pretty much the new wingers. And AWB has a mental block once he enters the final third. And James for his price was definitely a good buy. However looking at all three, I can't say that any one of them FIXES a position for years to come. For example Mane fixed a LW. Bernardo Silva FIXES the AM role. You don't have to worry about those roles/positions anymore. With James, he'd a good squad player but we clearly still need far more ability in attack, even on the RW. AWB is excellent defensively but we still need more quality going the other way. He and James for sure don't fix that flank as ever wanted for years and cost around 70 million. Maguire is solid but again, I'm not sure our CBs options are sorted. He has to step up more and his partner Lindelof looks no great shakes either.

So yeah, on paper it was as a pretty good summer. But on closer inspection there are question marks and nothing we did was exceptional

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Maguire is the worlds most expensive defender. I'd hardly say we havn't massively overpaid. And leicester are 13 points ahead of us already. Doesn't seem like they miss him.

croadyman

We bought potential and do not have the coaching team to develop that potential as evidenced by zero players improving in the tenure of Ole and his coaching team.

I'd give them a chance are a real manager and coach before writing them off.
I have to say you are absolutely spot on there,if they struggle under proper coaching then maybe we have got it wrong.

I really don't think Ole can be trusted with money in January because he is unable to improve what he already has bought.

That probably sounds really harsh and will inevitably lead to me getting blasted by many.

Asger

And let's not forget that this £160m defence (AWB+Linde+Maguire) is not exactly performing like a top four standard defence under Ole's tutelage, is it
Maybe because it isn't? None of them are Top 4 quality. AWB came from team that are fighting for their lives every season. Leicester look better with their defenders than last year. Lindelof came from Portuguese league.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
120M for squad depth? 0 clean sheets in so many games.

I wonder where did you get this "right direction" from?

LARulz

James was his recruitment. The other 2 were who Mourinho wanted as well

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Maguire was a great signing because he’s better than Jones and Bailly, or something. :houllier:
Also he's a magnificent leader. Just watch Leicester's defence collapse without him

manc4red

Liverpool hasnt kept a clean sheet for many games either tbf

i shudder to think what our defense would have let through if we didnt buy those defenders. Not perfect of course. Far from it. But its better than what we had. We were always going to pay a premium For the players. Thats why it feels like we get ripped off. Because in a way we do. We flaunt our revenue prowess. Other clubs jack prices up for us