‘Ole’s recruitment has been great’ narrative

Tiber

Maguire will be our next captain.

AWB is fantastic.

Dan James is the most pleasant surprise of the season.

We didn't have much of a chance to sign the likes of Sancho last summer, what more do people want? To return to signing dregs like Fellaini and Matic or renting 34 year old mercenaries for one season? Id have certainly liked more additions, but that is on Woodward and atleast the three we did sign were goo choices for a change.

Ole has clearly not been perfect at United, but the issue is certainly not his recruitment.

R'hllor

They are not great nor they are bad, we dont know. They can look great right now/so far or opposite but thats about it. The desperation of one side of lunatics to defend Ole from other side with marking those 3 signings like 100% success ist just laughable, sometimes when you read that drivel back and forth it almost looks like it has nothing to do with United in essence.

Dinghy

They are not great nor they are bad, we dont know. They can look great right now/so far or opposite but thats about it. The desperation of one side of lunatics to defend Ole from other side with marking those 3 signings like 100% success ist just laughable, sometimes when you read that drivel back and forth it almost looks like it has nothing to do with United in essence.
This goes for managers as well or only players? You're writing off our manager already as a 100% failure in the middle of a rebuild, and when we've had major injuries and important players missing for months. Maybe you should take your own advice and wait and see, huh?

Jonno

How much did Mings cost? 26m? AWB is solid defensively, but does not even look like a 15m right back going forward.
Not overly impressed.
AWB is in my eyes the best RB in the PL along with Trent AA. He’s also young, and English. We are incredibly lucky to have been able to sign him, because if we didn’t go for him this summer, he would have ended up somewhere like Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal or City either in the summer or next summer. Fantastic signing.

R'hllor

This goes for managers as well or only players? You're writing off our manager already as a 100% failure in the middle of a rebuild, and when we've had major injuries and important players missing for months. Maybe you should take your own advice and wait and see, huh?
Not, in our case, they are also only few months into their first season with a new club.

I am writing off our manager?! What the feck you talking about, i am not even Ole out, you crazy person. The things i like, will praise while in same time the things i cant stand, will have a go, regardless of who the manager is.

Injuries are part of a season and God knows they are not a new thing for us, he had a summer to fill the holes created by selling Fellaini and losing Ander. Important playerS for monthS you say eh.

Take my own advice...this place.

Dinghy

Not, in our case, they are also only few months into their first season with a new club.

I am writing off our manager?! What the feck you talking about, i am not even Ole out, you crazy person. The things i like, will praise while in same time the things i cant stand, will have a go, regardless of who the manager is.

Injuries are part of a season and God knows they are not a new thing for us, he had a summer to fill the holes created by selling Fellaini and losing Ander. Important playerS for monthS you say eh.

Take my own advice...this place.
Seems like I touched a nerve. Having seen some of your posts you got a fecking weird way of showing support for the manager and the rebuild that's taking place.

I'd call Pogba, Martial, Shaw important, eyh.

Why so touchy about people being positive about his signings so far?

R'hllor

Seems like I touched a nerve. Having seen some of your posts you got a fecking weird way of showing support for the manager and the rebuild that's taking place.

I'd call Pogba, Martial, Shaw important, eyh.

Why so touchy about people being positive about his signings so far?
I am not, saying how they are 100% success as final conclusion after 15 PL games, is utter drivel and propaganda bullshit. Thats not being positive about new signings.

Oh i bet its weird, specially from sheep pov.

lysglimt

Scout
How many here trust Smalling as a defender playing out from the back?

Paul_Scholes18

The problem is not the players we got. More the money we spent on defenders was a lot when we needed improvements in midfield and attack much more. Paying over the value for players becomes a problem eventually and we have done that for a long time.

Given the money we spent we should be doing better. Although tactically Ole has done well in the big games.

Dinghy

I am not, saying how they are 100% success as final conclusion after 15 PL games, is utter drivel and propaganda bullshit. Thats not being positive about new signings.

I wouldn't call Wan Bissaka the best right back in the world, or even top3 in England for that matter but why is having that opinion seen as "propaganda"?

People finding positives in our games and new signings = sheep, we get it.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin

They have proven themselves to be excellent purchases so far. We would have to see a severe downturn in their performance levels to alter that view.

R'hllor

They have proven themselves to be excellent purchases so far. We would have to see a severe downturn in their performance levels to alter that view.
Exactly.

Tyrion

It's strange that for so many years we signed the wrong players - and when OGS comes in and signs 3 players who immediately improves us, it's no big thing because everyone knew about them - or because our scouts already had identified them and he just had to say yes.

Well if that is the case - I wish Mourinho and LvG had been able to say No - a bit more often.
I'm pretty sure that there's been major changes at the club wrt recruitment over the last few years. Theres been a few newspaper articles written about it.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
I dont really see much succes in our transfer strategy. Thinned our squad depth and spent 135 mil on defense without improving it.

justboy68

I reckon theres a decent chance that our next title challenging team doesn't contain any of them as starters.

Paul_Scholes18

We have spent far too little and not spent what we got well.
We depend in attack on Rashford a lot who we already have. Lack attacking midfielder and striker options now when we sold a few players.

If we had a small budget we should have looked for cheaper players that could improve us or at least used Smalling who we got.
Spending 80 million on Maguire was a crazy move when our attack and attacking midfield needed to be boosted.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Daniel James - promising
Wan Biss - Been good
Harry Maguire - decent

Compared to other managers which was flop flop flop flop it’s been miles better. But I get the point, none have been huge successes like all of Pool’s recent signings have.

Skills

Snitch
I reckon theres a decent chance that our next title challenging team doesn't contain any of them as starters.
If we do actually get a progressive coach, I can't see him putting up with someone as limited as AWB as a FB or someone as slow as Maguire in a high backline.

Paul_Scholes18

I don't think anyone will be around by then. With Glaziers in charge we might never challenge. Or we might do a Leicester season getting a win when noone expects us to do anything with a semi decent squad.

Fiskey

Can't stop thinking about David Nugent's hot naked
If we do actually get a progressive coach, I can't see him putting up with someone as limited as AWB as a FB or someone as slow as Maguire in a high backline.
Guardiola said himself he wanted Maguire, he's a good player. Not an £80m player but Leicester didn't need to sell.

Bwuk

I rate Maguire. James should be an option off the bench, not a starter. AWB isn’t good enough.

el3mel

Daniel James - promising
Wan Biss - Been good
Harry Maguire - decent

Compared to other managers which was flop flop flop flop it’s been miles better. But I get the point, none have been huge successes like all of Pool’s recent signings have.
That's an illogical comparison considering you're comparing the 3 signings in their first season in comparison with players that lasted several few seasons before being considered flop. Why not compare every transfer in its first season in comparison to those 3 ?

Blind - Very good first season.
Herrera - Very good first season.
Rojo - Decent first season.
Shaw - flopped in his first one.
Di Maria - flopped in his first one.
Falcao - Flopped in his first one.

Martial - Great first season.
Romero - Very good ( Considering he was a sub keeper anyway).
Darmian - Decent to average
Depay - Flopped in his first season.
Bastian - Decent when he played but too many injuries.

Zlatan - Great first season.
Bailly - Great first season.
Pogba - Good first season.
Mikhi - Decent first season.

Matic - Great first season.
Lukaku - Very good first season.
Lindelof - Flopped in his first season.

So we have 5 players out of 18 who looked poor in their first season. The rest ranged from decent to great. So this comparison doesn't make sense imo.

There's nothing that prevents Maguire from turning to an absolute waste of money for what we paid for him or James from becoming a total flop if we wait 3 years like, say, what we waited on Bailly, who was considered a beast in his first season and now he's totally useless.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Daniel James - promising
Wan Biss - Been good
Harry Maguire - decent

Bar James our transfers have been quite expensive. Maguire is the most expensive defender in the history of football. Just look at the gulf between him and VVD.

VivaObertan

Transfer Voyeur
Daniel James - promising
Wan Biss - Been good
Harry Maguire - decent

Shaqiri, Keita, Oxlade-Chamberlain

Godfather

That's an illogical comparison considering you're comparing the 3 signings in their first season in comparison with players that lasted several few seasons before being considered flop. Why not compare every transfer in its first season in comparison to those 3 ?

So we have 5 players out of 18 who looked poor in their first season. The rest ranged from decent to great. So this comparison doesn't make sense imo.

There's nothing that prevents Maguire from turning to an absolute waste of money for what we paid for him or James from becoming a total flop if we wait 3 years like, say, what we waited on Bailly, who was considered a beast in his first season and now he's totally useless.
Unsurprisingly the season we spent the most on players and got the most quality in we also achieved the most. feck knows what we are doing these days though. All brand new transfer strategies. Yeah get to feck.

Paul_Scholes18

Blind was not great in midfield during his first year though. We had a terrible record with him. As a left back he did well though with Carrick in midfield.
Herrera didn't get to play much before our great run so not sure it was a very good season from him.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Bar James our transfers have been quite expensive. Maguire is the most expensive defender in the history of football. Just look at the gulf between him and VVD.
Southampton are a selling club, whilst Leicester are not and didn't need to sell.

Bizarre that football fans try to compare these two transfers.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Southampton are a selling club, whilst Leicester are not and didn't need to sell.

Bizarre that football fans try to compare these two transfers.
Means nothing we severely overpaid for Maguire and could have got a better player for less

el3mel

Blind was not great in midfield during his first year though. We had a terrible record with him. As a left back he did well though with Carrick in midfield.
Herrera didn't get to play much before our great run so not sure it was a very good season from him.
Herrera started the season also pretty well iirc, and he had a good output. As for Blind he did well as you said when he was switched to LB.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Means nothing we severely overpaid for Maguire and could have got a better player for less
Well it means something, because to this day the transfers are still compared for no good reason.

humdinger

At the start of the season I thought we’d bought well (although should have bought more). In hindsight we made some big mistakes.

James was worth a punt but should never have been expected to start each week.

AWB is ok and our RB was a shambles. But we’ve overpaid and he has obvious limitations. We could have done better for the money but he’s no disaster.

Maguire I expected so much more from. He’s our best CB but we got absolutely rinsed for him and in hindsight we should have stuck with Smalling and invested that cash into our midfield and attack which are both very weak. He’s not improved our team enough for the outlay.

Not recruiting midfielders or attackers was a huge mistake.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
At the start of the season I thought we’d bought well (although should have bought more). In hindsight we made some big mistakes.

James was worth a punt but should never have been expected to start each week.

AWB is ok and our RB was a shambles. But we’ve overpaid and he has obvious limitations. We could have done better for the money but he’s no disaster.

Maguire I expected so much more from. He’s our best CB but we got absolutely rinsed for him and in hindsight we should have stuck with Smalling and invested that cash into our midfield and attack which are both very weak. He’s not improved our team enough for the outlay.

Not recruiting midfielders or attackers was a huge mistake.
I'll say it for many of us. We told you so.:D

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Well it means something, because to this day the transfers are still compared for no good reason.
It isnt for no good reason. Southampton dint want to sell and sold for a record fee. They are the 2 most exp CBs in the league playing for top sides. Of course they will be compared. We overpaid, Liverpool didnt