“ If De Bruyne (£68m) has an off day, City have Mahrez (£61m), Sterling (£57m), Silva (£45m), Foden, Gundogan (£24m), & Ferran (£21m)

yamo123x

Hate comparing but this is the sad reality..

CITY- A strong squad , a hungry squad, a team who play as a team, have an distinct exciting style of play, well coached and drilled, managed by a strong, serial winner.

UTD- A team of individuals, scattered with inconsistent overpaid big headed arrogant characters lacking motivation, no real style of play, not exciting to watch, no real ambition, no hunger, managed by an arm around the shoulder manager who has won nothing and couldnt motivate a fart.

Splashing cash can only help so far but without motivation good coaching and strong leadership it simply becomes a team of individuals.

We all saw what happened against Palace yesterday, its there for all to see. Who in that squad showed fight and hunger befitting that of an utd player?? and when the manager is in his press conference says "what i saw was a group of players giving 100%"....what chance do we have?

Last edited:

SAFMUTD

What is the point then?

my point is:
Man City have a much stronger squad than us and have handled the corona season much more effectively as a result. Despite having a worst first eleven than those around us and having a relatively low net spent Ole has improved the squad, the league position and average age of the club.
Man City of course has a much stronger and better coached squad, thats a fact. Now saying Ole has improved the squad is debatable at least, when he arrived we needed a CB, RB and a RW. Right now after 300M spent we need a CB, RW, CDM and ST.

While the CDM case is not his fault since its the result of Matic aging, the CB is. If it was either the club or Ole who wanted Maguire is clear as feck that he has been a failure for the commanded fee. Yes he is a solid player, but for 80M you expect someone who transform the entire defense by himself, not a player who needs another 50M+ CB next to him to do the job.

The striker position is also definitely his fault, he sold Lukaku and tried to replace him with Martial clearly it has backfired. Instead of addressing the RW or ST position he chose to spend around 70M on Telles (LB) , LW (Daniel James) and CM (Van de Beek) who are players that take almost no part in the team.

Overall the only players who worth the money are Bruno (by a mile) and Telles because he was cheap. Besides them, all the other incomings have been either solid but overpriced like AWB and Maguire, money down the drain like Daniel James and VdB or punts for the future like Diallo and Pellestri.

I'd say thats an average transfer historial, with Bruno taking a HUGE impact on the upside. If not for him I think we could all agree it would be a poor one.

Now improving the league position? it depends on what you are looking at, we were distant third last season. Before the half campaing he took over we were 6th (not his fault since Mourinho left him on a poor position) but before that one we were second. Currently we are distant second but with the margins being so slim I don't think anyone can warrant we will finish second. Actually I think pretty much anyone would sign top 4 if given at this point.

Average age of the club I'll give you that one 25.7 years is the squad's average age against a 26 year old average that he inherited. A truly truly remarkable difference, should be highlighted way often really.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/premier-league/altersschnitt/wettbewerb/GB1/plus/?saison_id=2018

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder

CITY- A strong squad , a hungry squad, a team who play as a team, have an distinct exciting style of play, well coached and drilled, managed by a strong, serial winner.

UTD- A team of individuals, scattered with inconsistent overpaid big headed arrogant characters lacking motivation, no real style of play, not exciting to watch, no real ambition, no hunger, managed by an arm around the shoulder manager who has won nothing.

Splashing cash can only help so far but without motivation good coaching and strong leadership it simply becomes a team of individuals.

We all saw what happened against Palace yesterday, its there for all to see. Who in that squad showed fight and hunger befitting that of an utd player?? and when the manager is in his press conference says "what i saw was a group of players giving 100%"....what chance do we have?

RANT OVER.
feck me. Wasn’t sure if you’d finished so thanks for putting RANT OVER at the end for me.

hobbers

Ole doesn't spend a penny, nor does he do any negotiation.
That's left up to bollockhead and his mate from uni.
If yer gonna throw shit about spending, throw it upstairs at the clownshow.
Right... but we didn't do that with LVG or Mourinho did we?

And we give Ole plenty of credit for signing Bruno don't we?

And Ole gets ALL the credit for moving on deadwood doesnt he? Even though he has considerably less say in that than in incoming transfers.

Ole decides where the priorities are for signings. He surely has the final say on whether we sign someone or not. If that isn't the case, he's not the manager and is just a shill for Woodward.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
So we need another 300 million to beat Sheffield, West Brom and Crystal Palace?

Okay then.
City drew with Westbrom too.

Hate to break it to you but for as long as football has existed and will continue to exist clubs who are meant to beat the smaller clubs will occasionally come unstuck.

Dan_F

You don’t think Citys attacking players are bette me than what you have just mentioned?
Do I think Sterling is better than Rashford? Or Torres than Cavani? Gundogan than Pogba? Foden than Greenwood? Nope. Not saying ours are better, but it’s close.

I’d take Mahrez over Martial and Silva over VDB.

Do you think the form that the players are showing currently is their actual quality level? I honestly think you can replace any of those City players with players i listed in our squad and you wouldn’t notice a drop in performance. The only City player that would have a big effect on our team is Mahrez, as we have a massive gap on the right.

Edit. Obviously I’m discounting KDB.

big rons sovereign

Right... but we didn't do that with LVG or Mourinho did we?

And we give Ole plenty of credit for signing Bruno don't we?

And Ole gets ALL the credit for moving on deadwood doesnt he? Even though he has considerably less say in that than in incoming transfers.

Ole decides where the priorities are for signings. He surely has the final say on whether we sign someone or not. If that isn't the case, he's not the manager and is just a shill for Woodward.
Edit.
Had a post, removed it.
I just can't be arsed anymore.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

UTD- A team of individuals, scattered with inconsistent overpaid big headed arrogant characters lacking motivation, no real style of play, not exciting to watch, no real ambition, no hunger, managed by an arm around the shoulder manager who has won nothing and couldnt motivate a fart.

I'm a bit confused. Is your rant over?

No. We want to be number one.

obviously.
However, at the moment every team in the league is struggling. Every single one. They all look bollocked, they all can’t score and they all struggle against the teams lower down. Every one.

Apart from City.
Some of that will be down to coaching.

of course, the other thing is that they have a much deeper squad with incrddible players who they can constantly rotate.

how many people play FF and bemoan City. “You never know who is going to start.” Bet you all have said it or heard someone say it.

the point is that is why they’re currently doing well. Certainly a part of it.
Whilst we are “the best of the rest”. Not where we want to be. But a lot better than where we were.
I don't disagree City will always be at the top as long as they are allowed to outspend. But, a lot of their success is down to coaching.

A disproportionate number of our goals have come against cannon fodder and in a handful of games. We've put 6 and 9 past two teams this season. We've put 1 goal past the traditional top 6 this season. One fecking goal! In 7 games. And that was a penalty in a 6-1 loss.

That's not a lack of players or a lack of anything, that's just bloody awful management and coaching. That's good players going wild against poor opposition but struggling when their talent alone isnt enough to overcome better opposition.

I didn't actually realise it was that bad until i looked it up to make this post. How can you defend that? We haven't scored a single proper goal against a rival all season, and its March.

I appreciate the squad rebuilding Ole has done to now and he's a fine caretaker of the club, but we will never challenge City with him in charge, no matter who we buy or how much we spend.

Last edited:

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Okay, you say we have the squad depth to compete. Can you just make a “second eleven” of city v united.

I think it would look like this:

Henderson,

Telles,
Bailly,
Tuanazebe,
Williams

Matic,
Fred,
VDB

james,
Greenwood,
Diallo

V

? ( I don’t actually know city’s back up keeper)

Zinchenko,
Laporte,
Ake,
Mendy

fernandino,
Bernardo Silva,
Foden

Aguero,
Jesus,
Torres
Pretty strong team from United.

Yes. I think that with two signings now we can really push on. Never felt like that in the last few years. Think next year if luck falls our way and we signed a RW and a CB we can go for it.
I’m seriously hoping the same, but sadly the last few years have taught me that spending money on a few big players probably won’t be enough. Fingers crossed though.
I think it’s more likely we buy Sancho and we buy another centre back and then after five months we start saying they’re not enough we need more, and then more of these threads pop up blaming Ed, the owners and blaming City’s spending.

I’m up for a scrap on the first day of the season though, masked up fighting sounds top.

mu4c_20le

Got to love all the footballing einsteins who think they know better than professional journalists and pundits

hobbers

Good way to just cometely.ignore the point. You're slagging ole off for spending. I'm saying the amount spent and negotiation is down to ed and his dickhead mate.
But, let's ignore that and just blame ole for the prices.
He wanted Sancho, got 2 youth players. Wanted haaland, got ighalo.
You think ole is telling ed what's what? If that was the case he'd be getting his targets.
But hey, a sticks a stick right? Whatevers good for the beating.
Well you've already ignored my point.

My point wasn't about us spending too much. It was about us spending too much on the wrong players, two defenders who were massively overpriced and dont even really fit Ole's system, going after the wrong targets and prioritising the wrong areas. All of which Ole holds responsibility for because he has the final say on what players we look at and what players we sign.

We could have signed better players than Maguire and AWB for a lot less money that would have been a better fit for whatever Ole perceives his style to be.

We could have gone after wingers other than Sancho and an 18 year old kid with 3 senior apps from Atalanta. City signed Ferran Torres, for example - were we ever looking at him?

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
That's your fault for recruiting poorly. The spend between United and City since they bought Sterling and De Bruyne isn't much different. City have spent a bit more but it's still more even than the rest of the league in terms of spend since that period.

AFC NimbleThumb

The tweet totally misses the point.

We play Citeh twice a season in the league, most other weeks we face teams we’ve outspent handsomely or a Chelsea who again we only play on 2 occasions in a 38 game season.

If the excuse is always, ‘but Citeh spend more’ then the club may as well cease as a footballing entity.

Drawing to Palace, West Brom & so on has nothing to do with the club in blue.

UDontMessWith24

What’s this got to do with the points dropped against Sheffield United, West Brom and Everton?

He'sRaldo

It's funny, when you read the title again you'll realize the amounts aren't even that much.

MU655

People put way too much focus on signings. Good players are needed to challenge for titles, but it is not enough alone. Teamwork is equally--if not more--important. Otherwise, why did City finish third in 16/17 with 78 points? They had the best team in the league that season, which made up the core of their team in the next, where suddenly they reached 1st position with 100 points.

16/17 team included:
Otamendi
Stones
Fernandinho
Gundogan
David Silva
De Bruyne
Sterling
Aguero
Sane
Kompany (played 25 games in 17/18)
Even Gabriel Jesus was signed that season.

These were all in the 16/17 team and the 17/18 team. They had the best squad in the league, but it didn't win them the league.

They went on before the17/18 season to sign Ederson, Walker, and Bernardo Silva - In January, they signed Laporte (but they had already opened a gap at the top by this point, so he wasn't a major reason in them winning the title). However, the biggest difference between 16/17 and 17/18 was not personnel but Guardiola actually got them to play far better as a team.

I don't see the same focus on teamwork at Manutd. I think more can be got out of the team that we have.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
People put way too much focus on signings. Good players are needed to challenge for titles, but it is not enough alone. Teamwork is equally--if not more--important. Otherwise, why did City finish third in 16/17 with 78 points? They had the best team in the league that season, which made up the core of their team in the next, where suddenly they reached 1st position with 100 points.

16/17 team included:
Otamendi
Stones
Fernandinho
Gundogan
David Silva
De Bruyne
Sterling
Aguero

These were all in the 16/17 team and the 17/18 team. Plus, you can mention they also had Sane and Kompany in 16/17. They had the best squad in the league, but it didn't win them the league.

They went on before the17/18 season to sign Ederson, Walker, and Bernardo Silva - In January, they signed Laporte (but they had already opened a gap at the top by this point, so he wasn't a major reason in them winning the title). However, the biggest difference between 16/17 and 17/18 was not personnel but Guardiola actually got them to play far better as a team.
the main difference was they got better players.

mav_9me

That tweet just lists a bunch of players who cost 20 mil less than Pogba, Martial, Fred, VDB and James. Ignoring Rashford who would probably be valued at £80 mil+. Not sure what his point is bar that City have spent their money better, which is exaggerated by the fact that they have a much better coach.
Couldn't agree more.

There is so much wrong with that tweet dont know where to begin.

1. No point comparing us with City. I don't think the complaint is that we are not closer to City. The compliant is that we struggle to beat Sheffield, Crystal palace, W Brom etc.

2. I am actually not sure City have spent better or that their recruitment is better. How they have spent on defense is other worldly. Now it helps that their buys in rest of the pitch have done well. But overall they offset each other.

3. Even if we accept City have a better squad, would Ole have the same performances with them that Guardiola has? No. That's a stupid comparison too cuz we all know Ole is not as good. But that's not the point. The point is we should do better than Ole to bridge the gap and for us to do better ourselves to begin with.

4. Its not mutually exclusive, we need better players and a better manager.

owlo

Trash meaningless OP designed to stir up the hornets nest. Should have been removed asap.

MU655

the main difference was they got better players.
But most of them were in the season before, so why were they incapable of winning that season? The entire first-team midfield and attack were exactly the same. The defence was pretty much identical aside from the addition of Walker and Ederson. And eventually Laporte in January (But they a gap already existed at the top by this point, anyway). Those two signings won them 22 extra points and allowed them to score 26 more goals?

I remember in 16/17 there were questions being raised about Guardiola's style because it wasn't working. Guardiola said in 17/18 something like 'I knew it would work', so clearly the playstyle and teamwork was the bigger issue. They had not nailed the way to play. The biggest change between those seasons is that they played far better as a team and through it executed their tactics far better. I think this is actually a bigger issue for us, at the moment. Too much individual play rather than working together as a team.

OleBoiii

City's attackers(wide forwards/wingers/center forwards) cost more than 170 million pounds to obtain. Ours cost around 65 million. That is a huge difference.

On top of this they got a more expensive midfield, defense and bench. And the worst part is that they will keep spending more than us despite already being significantly better. That is why we can't catch up. Even if we were to match them pound for pound from this summer it would take several transfers windows to catch up with them, because they are so far ahead and they can afford to sign a flop or two whereas it's a disaster for us.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
City's attackers(wide forwards/wingers/center forwards) cost more than 170 million pounds to obtain. Ours cost around 65 million. That is a huge difference.

On top of this they got a more expensive midfield, defense and bench. And the worst part is that they will keep spending more than us despite already being significantly better. That is why we can't catch up. Even if we were to match them pound for pound from this summer it would take several transfers windows to catch up with them, because they are so far ahead and they can afford to sign a flop or two whereas it's a disaster for us.
And then on top of that they also have a superior manager. It is indeed tough.

Smores

So we're just gonna completely ignore last season which was Martial's best season by far?

Overall, Martial has been better for Ole than he was for LVG and Mourinho. That is my point.
I wouldn't say that's true at all. He's never been this bad for any other manager and we're now talking about a significant portion of his time under Ole.

He improved his numbers by playing as a striker instead of on the left but he was still excellent for LvG and Jose.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
But most of them were in the season before, so why were they incapable of winning that season? The entire first-team midfield and attack were exactly the same. The defence was pretty much identical aside from the addition of Walker and Ederson. And eventually Laporte in January (But they a gap already existed at the top by this point, anyway). Those two signings won them 22 extra points and allowed them to score 26 more goals?

I remember in 16/17 there were questions being raised about Guardiola's style because it wasn't working. Guardiola said in 17/18 something like 'I knew it would work', so clearly the playstyle and teamwork was the bigger issue. They had not nailed the way to play. The biggest change between those seasons is that they played far better as a team and through it executed their tactics far better. I think this is actually a bigger issue for us, at the moment. Too much individual play rather than working together as a team.
Yes. They replaced about four full backs in one summer who were not good enough. They got in Danilo, Walker, Ederson, Mendy and Bernardo Silva that year. Suddenly their defence who looked poor the season before could express themselves more and De Bruyne also returned.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.

Forget about City, Ole can't even create a chance let alone score against a Crystal palace with half its team missing. We can't even play remotely decent football against West Brom. Try comparing our squad to theirs instead.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
David Silva cost the same as Donny vd Beek :lol:

Different times, but still.