“Certainly he [Bobby Charlton], Ferguson and Gill were against the move”

RedDevil@84

If this is about 2013, it seems pretty logical (at least to me), Moyes was hand-picked by SAF. There was no other way Moyes was coming in.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
If this is about 2013, it seems pretty logical (at least to me), Moyes was hand-picked by SAF. There was no other way Moyes was coming in.
It had to be. Problem of course was that he really had no qualifications to be the United manager, apart from being Scottish. If he had created a winning team at Everton, then OK, but he hadn't.

SAF supposedly saw himself in him. How? He had become a serial winner in Scotland. Also SAF isn't that miserable.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
I didn't say that did I? And no we shouldn't celebrate mediocrity either. Doesn't change the facts that Mourinho is poison and many knew this which is why we never wanted him in the first place. Nor does it change that many wanted trophies and CL football at any cost. Well he got 2 and 2 years of CL football again. Was it worth it?

Not in my eyes. I'd rather given someone 3 years to build from scratch and accepted no trophies or CL football but a clear vision and improvement in squad and the football being played.
That someone would get sacked probably in his 2nd season. The club isn't a democracy and supporters can't decide about things like this. Board on the other hand... and that's basically the reality against your idealistic vision of things.

MDFC Manager

This has just been a quote on Five Live from Sam Lockhurst at the MEN, talking about Mourinho being hired. The Five Live presenter acted like it was common knowledge. He also said Bobby Charlton hasn’t been at the club all year.

What the hell are we doing as a club? How can it be when every single United fan knew what we were getting into by hiring Mourinho this still went ahead.

The basic idea of this thread is to try and get a groundswell of support for Ferguson, Charlton, Gill and the rest being given a more active roll at the club. These people get Man United and somehow we have allowed people with outside interests to push forward the idea of Mourinho and his ilk.
There were multiple dimwits on here who abused Sir Bobby for apparently vetoing the move earlier.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I didn't say that did I? And no we shouldn't celebrate mediocrity either. Doesn't change the facts that Mourinho is poison and many knew this which is why we never wanted him in the first place. Nor does it change that many wanted trophies and CL football at any cost. Well he got 2 and 2 years of CL football again. Was it worth it?

Not in my eyes. I'd rather given someone 3 years to build from scratch and accepted no trophies or CL football but a clear vision and improvement in squad and the football being played.
No you didn't. My point was that whatever romanticism or ethos there was in how we do things disappeared as soon as Moyes was appointed.

Classical Mechanic

It had to be. Problem of course was that he really had no qualifications to be the United manager, apart from being Scottish. If he had created a winning team at Everton, then OK, but he hadn't.

SAF supposedly saw himself in him. How? He had become a serial winner in Scotland. Also SAF isn't that miserable.
It was on the official announcement that United made when appointing Moyes that they had followed Sir Alex's 'recommendation to the board'.

As for Sir Bobby, he was always reported to have be firmly against Mourinho as manager for United because he felt he lacked the dignity for the job and 'pontificates' too much.

Well they were all for hiring Moyes so it shows what they know. The hiring of our next manager should be kept well away from the old guard. Football has changed a lot and Ferguson's success and control over the club insulated us from it. Now we have to move on and make up lost ground quickly.

Beagle

And the same 3 people were for appointing Moyes. So there you go.

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout
That someone would get sacked probably in his 2nd season. The club isn't a democracy and supporters can't decide about things like this. Board on the other hand... and that's basically the reality against your idealistic vision of things.
Thanks for that, Sherlock.

Coops73

I think Jose Mourinho was a necessary appointment at the time, even if it was somewhat of a risk given the way it ended for him at Chelsea and Real. Personally, I was all over the idea of hiring him and I don't think I was alone.

The club needed a proven winner to instil the correct attitude into the players, and for the first couple of years, we appeared to be progressing rather well. Shame how it has ended.
No you wasn’t alone, I wanted Ancelotti but was relatively happy with Mourinhos appointment...I feel a bit embarrassed by that now.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre

Yup. He picked a manager of relatively stable Everton side that despite low budget could sustain themselves high enough the table to have some chance of participation in Europa League.

Moyes could be legend at Everton but his choice was United and that is also on him, even with SAF visiting himself and making a proposition, at some point he could refuse and stick to his previous work that wasn't failing at all.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Because we have already suffered from Moyes and LVG time, and most of us thought it can't get any worst with Mourinho.

DomesticTadpole

Yup. He picked a manager of relatively stable Everton side that despite low budget could sustain themselves high enough the table to have some chance of participation in Europa League.

Moyes could be legend at Everton but his choice was United and that is also on him, even with SAF visiting himself and making a proposition, at some point he could refuse and stick to his previous work that wasn't failing at all.
Well between everyone they might just have turned us into a team that might finish high enough to get into the Europa League.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
I think it's a mistake to regard Jose as a mistake. He did exactly what he was supposed to do and was expected to do. It's just that now it's time to sack him.

Greck

Van Gaal makes one from three. Not exactly compelling evidence to give them a greater “roll” at the club.
Not making a case for that. I'm making a case against anyone discrediting the judgement on Mourinho being the wrong appointment because they chose Moyes. Both were bad appointments

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
The club was at risk of sliding into permanent mediocrity under LVG, so decided to employ the biggest trophy winner available no matter the cost. A club confident in its own identity would have stuck to its principles.

DomesticTadpole

The club was at risk of sliding into permanent mediocrity under LVG, so decided to employ the biggest trophy winner available no matter the cost. A club confident in its own identity would have stuck to its principles.
Now I think they are terrified of making another mistake. Meanwhile the whole club is in a mire while they sit in the corner biting their nails.

red4ever 79

I mentioned this the other day that Sir Bobby hadnt been at Old Trafford this season. What a sad state of affairs that our greatest ever player and universally cherished ambassador cant stand to be near this toxic place at the moment.

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout
I mentioned this the other day that Sir Bobby hadnt been at Old Trafford this season. What a sad state of affairs that our greatest ever player and universally cherished ambassador cant stand to be near this toxic place at the moment.

That is depressing as hell.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Now I think they are terrified of making another mistake. Meanwhile the whole club is in a mire while they sit in the corner biting their nails.
I genuinely believe the people running the club are now at a loss on where we go from here. Mourinho was meant to return the club to the top echelons of football in the shortest possible time and they had no backup plan. This "giving Mourinho time to turn things around" doesn't wash with me. Woodward and co are atm, busy scrambling around looking for the next manager.
Mourinho filled only one category in the job description checklist before we got him. He was a serial trophy winner. The club did not want to hear any other thing. Now the club is almost unrecognisable.
This club needs a process manager. Someone who will rebuild this club's identity. We need a purist.

crossy1686

career ending
I'll call it now, the only reason Mourinho still has a job is because his departure will also see the departure of Ed Woodward from his role. All footballing responsibilities will be stripped from him, and rightly so.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
This is a guy who gave his life for the club literally, used to go to every game home and away. The only other former Utd great who can stand alongside SAF in the eyes of Utd fans.
And now he’s not going to games.

More depressing than any football on display,

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
How do you know this isn't down to health reasons? I've seen the guy in the flesh in the last 12 months and he came across as a physically fragile guy. Don't just assume it's personal choice.

liamp

Moyes was never going to be a legend at Everton. I remember @SilentWitness and other Everton supporters here mentioning that their supporters were growing tired of him and thought he had plateaued with them. The Dithering Dave monicker didn't start at United after all.

So true ❤

liamp

Wouldn't you want Gill as CEO?
How much of Gill's perceived success was buoyed by having the greatest manager in the history of the sport making footballing decisions?

I think us fans don't know enough to have an informed opinion on that question

Oh really? Wasn't he at the wolves game with SAF?

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Moyes and Van Gaal were unfortunately hurlings that didn’t work out. They were made with the best of intentions and it can definitely be argued LVG was our most successful post Ferguson manager.

With Mourinho a plethora of highly intelligent footballing men saw this coming. It was obvious ffs. So why were they ignored?
Do you have a theme song? Like Wumbob-SquarePants? Or the PowerWum Boy? Or Go-Go Mighty Wumminator?

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Moyes was never going to be a legend at Everton. I remember @SilentWitness and other Everton supporters here mentioning that their supporters were growing tired of him and thought he had plateaued with them. The Dithering Dave monicker didn't start at United after all.
Good to know that nobody wanted him anywhere, just feeds the logic more of hiring him at United.

Nickthepip

We had very few alternatives available at the time. Just like we haven’t now.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
How do you know this isn't down to health reasons? I've seen the guy in the flesh in the last 12 months and he came across as a physically fragile guy. Don't just assume it's personal choice.
Yeah that's what i wanna know. I haven't heard anything about him staying away due to Jose.