“Certainly he [Bobby Charlton], Ferguson and Gill were against the move”

RedDevil@84

The club was at risk of sliding into permanent mediocrity under LVG, so decided to employ the biggest trophy winner available no matter the cost. A club confident in its own identity would have stuck to its principles.
Didn't we shoot principles in the head when we appointed Moyes and then followed it up with LvG.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Yeah that's what i wanna know. I haven't heard anything about him staying away due to Jose.
Bearing in mind his age, it's as reasonable an assumption as I could think of. But nobody's going to miss an opportunity to pin something else on Mourinho are they?

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Didn't we shoot principles in the head when we appointed Moyes and then followed it up with LvG.
This club has always sacked managers but it has always had a clear idea on what it thinks a manager should be. There are slight arguments as to Moyes and LVG fitting that profile, especially LVG. Apart from winning trophies, I don't think Mourinho ticked any other boxes.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Bearing in mind his age, it's as reasonable an assumption as I could think of. But nobody's going to miss an opportunity to pin something else on Mourinho are they?
Yeah i'm extremely skeptical on this one. To my knowledge he attended the games in his first season and last season. I know he's not supposed to be a fan of Jose's, but i'm doubting the veracity of these claims.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Yeah i'm extremely skeptical on this one. To my knowledge he attended the games in his first season and last season. I know he's not supposed to be a fan of Joses's, but i'm doubting the veracity of these claims.
It's more worrying that he might be ill.

clarkydaz

We were talking about this in the pub after last game, you don't see Charlton or hear from him this season. I assumed it was due to poor health, as he has had a tremble for some time. if its due to the state of the club, that's disgraceful

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Btw “winning” or “being good” is not a principle. Being confident, humble, modest in victory, having a fighting spirit, giving youth a chance and utilising attacking players (or trying) - these are principles.

RedDevil@84

This club has always sacked managers but it has always had a clear idea on what it thinks a manager should be. There are slight arguments as to Moyes and LVG fitting that profile, especially LVG. Apart from winning trophies, I don't think Mourinho ticked any other boxes.
I doubt if the club were ready for LvG's risk-less, possession based, rigid, sideways passing football. I somehow feel it was not thought through well.
By end of LvG, we were in a desperate situation to get back to winning ways, challenging the league. And Jose to his credit has challenged the league in many countries and won them multiple times.

NoLogo

There were a lot of reasons I was against him. Mainly his football and his sour personality. Never thought he was funny or entertaining. Annoying more like.

But tbh at the time I could see the reasons for the club wanting to hire him. Proven winner who had already won the PL twice and we seemed to be desperate to win a title as soon as possible so I thought he might actually be able to do that and for the 2-4 seasons he would be with us I could tolerate his antics and dire football for the sake of winning.

Well didn't turn out as I hoped it would and got pretty much what I feared could happen but still I wouldn't completely condemn Woody for making the decision to hire him.

What rather pisses me of though in the grand scheme is that we keep hiring managers who have completely different approach to football and seem to have to rebuild the squad over and over again. The fact that there is no grand plan in place is what really pisses me off atm and I can not see anything of that sort being implemented at the moment and am very afraid that the shit show will continue with Woody in charge of this club.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Btw “winning” or “being good” is not a principle. Being confident, humble, modest in victory, having a fighting spirit, giving youth a chance and utilising attacking players (or trying) - these are principles.
Most of this ultimately all still equates to winning though, or equates to greatly improving our chances of winning. No fan is going to be happy with their club having a fighting spirit, for example, if that fighting spirit doesn't actually help their club achieving anything noteworthy on the pitch.

RedDevil@84

Spurs??

Hiren Gor

This will be his first true failure as a manager...

Maybe we're just a poisoned chalice?
No Mourinho 3rd season syndrome

I think he believes this himself... so even if not true his actions make it true

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I doubt if the club were ready for LvG's risk-less, possession based, rigid, sideways passing football. I somehow feel it was not thought through well.
By end of LvG, we were in a desperate situation to get back to winning ways, challenging the league. And Jose to his credit has challenged the league in many countries and won them multiple times.
That's the point I'm trying to make. The club cared about little else.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I mentioned this the other day that Sir Bobby hadnt been at Old Trafford this season. What a sad state of affairs that our greatest ever player and universally cherished ambassador cant stand to be near this toxic place at the moment.
Is it because of the players?

Red_Ramirez

I wanted Mourinho in 2013. Timing IMO wouldve been perfect

With the squad we had (a title winning squad with a 10-point lead) plus a one or two additions we would've won the 2013-14 title,

Especially when you take into account City were not the City they are today and Liverpool (still bottlers) were alot weaker than ther are now.

A league title and a couple of cup trophies would've been decent under Mourinho in a 3 year spell IMO before riding off into the sunset again...

Wanted Mourinho in 2016...was delighted but he inherited a right mess. I wasn't expecting much tbh, a title challenge and maybe a cup win here and there...

RedDevil@84

I was probably not in the 81%. I didn't like Jose because he was an arrogant prick, in my opinion at that time. Nothing to do with his winning mentality though.
So I hoped that rest of the folks were right and Jose was the best man for the job.

Anyways, over the last 2 years, i thought we kind of did better than the LvG era and I thought we were going there, albeit pretty slowly. But the 3rd season seems to have fallen off a cliff, for whatever reasons. Be it the board not backing Jose or Jose's plans for the team being too bad.

RedDevil@84

That's the point I'm trying to make. The club cared about little else.
Agree on the Jose part. I do not think LvG appointment was well thought though. More like LvG seems to have done well with Dutch team and was available.

Strachans Cigar

Don’t agree with SAF being anti Jose. He has even been quoted as saying “he could manage anywhere” about Mourinho.

Was a risk appointing Jose when we did, would have been less so in 2013 imo due to the relative positions of the club at those times.

Look at his previous tenures at Chelsea mk1, Inter, Real & Chelsea mk2.

These teams were generally better equipped than we were at the point he took over here in 2016. They just needed a little tweak here and there, as opposed to how LVG left us.

Given the dearth of other candidates in 2013, I’m amazed he didn’t get the gig. Then again, if he had managed to win another PL title or two for us going on from 2013 no doubt people would have still moaned about the style.

Fans eh?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
These guys would have given the job to Gary Neville due to some bollocks about ‘steely gaze’ and ‘United DNA’. When you handpick David Moyes as manager, probably best to leave selection to someone else, and not criticise those who appointed a serial winner.

Jose hasn’t worked out, simply in the sense that he managed to finish second and not first.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
This has just been a quote on Five Live from Sam Lockhurst at the MEN, talking about Mourinho being hired. The Five Live presenter acted like it was common knowledge. He also said Bobby Charlton hasn’t been at the club all year.

What the hell are we doing as a club? How can it be when every single United fan knew what we were getting into by hiring Mourinho this still went ahead.

The basic idea of this thread is to try and get a groundswell of support for Ferguson, Charlton, Gill and the rest being given a more active roll at the club. These people get Man United and somehow we have allowed people with outside interests to push forward the idea of Mourinho and his ilk.
Are you mad? Bobby's 80, Fergie's 76 recovering from major brain surgery, and Gill's fecked off. So no, not really.

freeurmind

weak willed
I must admit at the time, I was against the move, thought he was the wrong manager for United but over his tenure he won me over even though this season has been a disappointment so far. I do wish he would stop the media circus and just monotone his way through press conferences but I do admire his passion and will to win. I would be surprised if he's here after this season.

Kapardin

Remember Luckhurst writing a bunch of articles sourced from Red Issue at that time.

I wanted Jose and I will be the first to put my hands up and admit it's not worked out. However, the fact is that though Jose is a failure, the squad he leaves behind is considerably better than LvG's. I have hopes that the next manager can get something out of Bailly, Pogba (if he stays), Sanchez, Lukaku (atleast as a back-up), Fred, Dalot, even Lindelof. Jose also binned Rooney, which was a rare case of shrewd management by him.

If we don't need to bin a host of Jose's signings like we did/have to do LvG's fantastic four of Depay, Darmian, Schneiderlin, Schweinsteiger etc., then I don't have regrets hiring Jose and wouldn't consider his tenure as completely fruitless. The 2 trophies help there too, of course.

Sir Scott McToMinay

I don’t know about Mourinho, but I do know that anyone who “voted” for Moyes, should never have a say in anything club related ever again.
SAF aside of course, he gets well deserved leeway.

Fracture90

SAF against hiring Mourinho? First I've heard of it.
Think it was common knowledge back then about Sir Bobby and SAF being against Mourinho.

Did Moyes fit with what the club stood for? Celebration of mediocrity? There is absolutely no comparison between him and what SAF had achieved before he arrived.
We'll that's pretty much our standard now since we're celebrating EL win, Carabao Cup and Community Shield as well as the last season's 2nd league spot and FA Cup final.

Yup. A large percentage were for Mourinho and many said they didn't care about the baggage that comes with him, the chaos he causes or the shit football his team's can produce, all because he is a proven winner and would bring glory back to OT.

Unsurprising many are so fickle and hypocritical, short sighted and I hate to say it, but glory hunters who care more about silverware than everything the club stood for and built before they hired Mourinho.
Harsh @langster.

I was a big fan of Mourinho's Robben/Duff Chelsea side and his record breaking Real counter attacking masterpiece. I thought he'd be able to recapture that here.
That said, this season I've come to the realisation that "Mourinho-ball" only works if you've sensational defenders (we haven't) that can sit back and soak up anything that's thrown at them and are good enough to step up, step out and move the ball fast to wonderful counter attacking footballers.
Without Terry/Carvalho, Ramos/Varane, Duff/Robben, Di Maria/Ronaldo... it's simply shit on a stick football and other managers can make entertainment with much less.

I was wrong, but not because I'm a glory hunter, I was however correct about David Moyes. LVG I was unsure. Now I only hope the board make a decision to bring in a manager and DoF that have a forward thinking philosophy rather that opting for an "available manager" with a name they fancy.

iluvoursolskjær

Searching for life's white text in London
Say what you will about the board's poor planning post-fergie (and rightly so) but I think most people - including myself - were up for the Mourinho appointment. After 3 really poor seasons and the 'rot' seemingly deepening, everyone was just desperate to arrest the fall in to mediocrity and who was available that was better qualified to do this but Mou? It was a risk most were willing to take.

His history was always a concern and it was extensively covered but he was saying all the right things at first, always sucked up to United in the media so you can forgive those of us who - foolishly, in hindsight - wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt thinking he could change or adapt to the philosophies of the club. 'Dream job' and all that.

There's just so much about it that made sense at the time tbf. We had a serious mentality problem in the dressing room (still do) and Mourinho with his trophy-laden CV and historically having players willing to run through brick walls for him seemed it could be just what the doctor ordered. Even if it was a short term fix most of his team's didn't too badly after he left plus his signings in the first window were properly exciting. Alas, it was all a pipe dream with things falling apart in typical fashion before the success part even got going.

Treble

Jose would have been a good appointment back in 2013. In 2016 he was already a bit past it. Things can change quickly in football.