“Certainly he [Bobby Charlton], Ferguson and Gill were against the move”

lysglimt

Scout
Hm...I actually thought Moyes would do ok - but at least I can say I was against Mourinho. That collapse at Chelsea scared me - I got one right and one wrong.

MoskvaRed

United badly need modernising - I don’t see two persons as venerable as Sir Bobby and Sir Alex as the best people to help that process (even ignoring health issues or the Moyes debacle). The ex-players like Neville are equally unfit for purpose due to knowing nothing other than life under Fergie and mistaking it for the norm or the ideal when in reality it is unachievable except under Fergie.

We need a qualified outsider to come in and shake things up or, as a minimum, an ex-player who spent a good chunk of his career at other clubs. We need to move on from 1986-2013.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
United badly need modernising - I don’t see two persons as venerable as Sir Bobby and Sir Alex as the best people to help that process (even ignoring health issues or the Moyes debacle). The ex-players like Neville are equally unfit for purpose due to knowing nothing other than life under Fergie and mistaking it for the norm or the ideal when in reality it is unachievable except under Fergie.

We need a qualified outsider to come in and shake things up or, as a minimum, an ex-player who spent a good chunk of his career at other clubs. We need to move on from 1986-2013.
Definitely.

Jazz

I did wonder why I hadn't seen Sir Bob. Thought he was ill. It's sad really.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I was for Mourinho after Fergie and after Van Gaal... I did though always feel like it was a 2-3 year thing though, and probably not much more. Even looking at his first 2 years, if he left after last season, most wouldve been happy enough with how it went. Most were very pessimistic this summer of course, because it was only headed in one direction with him and that was obvious since early 2018, but still. Last summer was the time for him to leave, and he hasnt, so its turned into this chaos that it was always eventually going to turn into with him in charge.

Also I'm not sure if he's past it so much, he just isnt suited to us. None the less, his short term positives were felt tbh. Won 2 trophies and got in the CL after the first season and a big personality back at the club. Season 2 finished a distant 2nd but things got a lot worse as the year went on because unfortunately for him, there are multiple quality managers competing with him who also achieve what he does, but with quality football as opposed to Mourinhos shite. So that's the main difference I'd say, him not being able to be the biggest spender in the market, and having multiple big managers to contend with leaves him looking a lot worse when they all do as much or more but with better quality.

Treble

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/pol...next-manchester-united-manager.412540/page-31

"Mourinho will flop here, especially if Guardiola takes over City. His last big success was in 2010. He knows that his stint at Madrid wasn't very successful and his self-confidence and charisma are gone. People explaining his relatively unmpressive second stint at Chelsea only with the players are kidding themselves. He is not special anymore. His narcissism has gotten the better of his great managerial talent."

Who was that smart back in 2015?

Jazz

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/pol...next-manchester-united-manager.412540/page-31

"Mourinho will flop here, especially if Guardiola takes over City. His last big success was in 2010. He knows that his stint at Madrid wasn't very successful and his self-confidence and charisma are gone. People explaining his relatively unmpressive second stint at Chelsea only with the players are kidding themselves. He is not special anymore. His narcissism has gotten the better of his great managerial talent."

Who was that smart back in 2015?
A very clever lad:D

Beagle

Two different decisions. One was right, one was wrong
I know what you mean. It was always going to be very difficult to predict how Fergie's successor or any mangaer after that would do but Woody frequently gets blamed for 3 failed managerial appointments which is wrong. When the unproven manager route failed the club turned to these proven managers which is understandable.

iluvoursolskjær

Searching for life's white text in London
I was for Mourinho after Fergie and after Van Gaal... I did though always feel like it was a 2-3 year thing though, and probably not much more. Even looking at his first 2 years, if he left after last season, most wouldve been happy enough with how it went. Most were very pessimistic this summer of course, because it was only headed in one direction with him and that was obvious since early 2018, but still. Last summer was the time for him to leave, and he hasnt, so its turned into this chaos that it was always eventually going to turn into with him in charge.

Also I'm not sure if he's past it so much, he just isnt suited to us. None the less, his short term positives were felt tbh. Won 2 trophies and got in the CL after the first season and a big personality back at the club. Season 2 finished a distant 2nd but things got a lot worse as the year went on because unfortunately for him, there are multiple quality managers competing with him who also achieve what he does, but with quality football as opposed to Mourinhos shite. So that's the main difference I'd say, him not being able to be the biggest spender in the market, and having multiple big managers to contend with leaves him looking a lot worse when they all do as much or more but with better quality.
Yeah I think if the board got rid this summer after they clearly weren't on the same page with him, Mou's tenure here could be seen to be relatively OK and he'd have left us with a far better squad than when he came in.

This season will totally shit on the first two, though.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I too was a big fan of Jose and his first spell at Chelsea provided some brilliant football and he did deserve the Special One tag.

I was not impressed with his treatment of the club doctor but saw this as a 'blip' and was thrilled when he replaced the dreaded LVG.

For some reason he has not seemed at home at OT and he doesn't seem to have bonded with the players.
Something is wrong and while I accept he has to take the blame for the way things have turned out on the pitch I suspect that there is something far deeper than just Jose..[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

RedDevil@84

This.

Cringe revisionism
I don't think there is much revisionism here. The people who voted Yes then are not posting much here for obvious reasons. The only ones who are posting are the ones who voted No, because they could say " I told you so"

norm87cro

We are talking about the same Bobby Charlton being influental around the club between 1970s and 1989 when we won feck nothing? And who also never pursued a carrer in football management. Gill is a money man ( much more competent than Woodward obviously) but not really a football brain. And that leaves us with Fergie who clearly has his reservations about the current boss but also some positives as well. 0.5 out of 3. Not bad

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
We are talking about the same Bobby Charlton being influental around the club between 1970s and 1989 when we won feck nothing? And who also never pursued a carrer in football management. Gill is a money man ( much more competent than Woodward obviously) but not really a football brain. And that leaves us with Fergie who clearly has his reservations about the current boss but also some positives as well. 0.5 out of 3. Not bad
Charlton managed Preston North End for two years, first as player manager and then just manager. Nob-enders have fond memories of him as a player, but not as a manager.

Nickthepip

Yeah that Bobby Charlton, Busby Babe, Munich survivor, European Cup winner, European player of the year, club legend, got a statue outside the ground and stand named after him. This place is unbelievable at times.

red4ever 79

You wont last long on here unless you do some research before you post. Sir Bobby was added to the board of directors in 1984. He was the one who pushed for the SAF appointment and then pushed even harder for the club to stand by him when he underwent a barren spell. Sir Bobby and Sir Alex are the two most influential figures in our clubs history who both have the best wishes of the club at heart. The sheer fact that they were against Mourinho coming in and the fact that Sir Bobby hasnt been seen anywhere at Old Trafford this season says it all.

elnorte

Freaky fly day
I'm actually not at all convinced Fergie was against Mourinho being appointed.

red4ever 79

All this based on some quotes from two journalists on a day when Mourinho made them come in at 8am for a 3 minute press conference?
I dont think so. This was documented even before Mourinho took over, plus the fact that Sir Bobby has stayed away this season are proof enough

redmanx

Back to hindsight again, unfortunately he is the right man, but at the wrong time. We needed him when he still had the love for the game. He just looks like it is a chore to turn up half the time.
I agree, the Mourinho who arrived here from Porto claiming, with a twinkle in his eye, that he was "The Special One" is the Jose we wanted, and we should have gone for him when SAF retired but we went for Moyes instead. Mourinho does look as if he has lost his love for the game and we're suffering because of it.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
To be fair the Mourinho in crowd were getting rather ridiculous with the endless threads about how he doesn't play shit football and how much he loves us and won't melt down.

But you are a twat if you put being right over the state of the club. I never wanted him here and gave up arguing early on due to the daft revisionist comments about him, but there's no way I didn't want him to be a huge success when he finally arrived.

It sucks how it is now, but he needs to go and we as a club need to move on.

Robbie Boy

"Yeah we were all against it"

Reminds me of the end of the moyes period, people trying to absolve themselves of any blame.

I still will always think we should have appointed mourinho after fergie.
I was all for Mourinho but defo want him gone now. Regarding Moyes, myself and plenty of others didn’t want him near the club.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I was all for Mourinho but defo want him gone now. Regarding Moyes, myself and plenty of others didn’t want him near the club.
I think that's probably the majority take on it.
We shouldn't forget that his first seasons were better than what had gone on before.

That's not to suddenly over rate them, as that first season, I think I went to 10 games and we only won about 2 or 3. We drew a horrendous amount of home games. We did much better last year, beating everyone in the league at least once, but some of the dreadful away games to big rivals and that Seville game are hard to forget.

The legacy from this season will simply be a massive failure to get anything out of what is a good attacking cast.

I find it impossible to believe that Lukaku, Sanchez, Martial and Pogba aren't capable of masses more than what we're seeing.

norm87cro

The man is still the only English football player to be a World cup winner, a winner of the CL in 1968 and probably the closest thing England had to the World's best player at the same time (Keegan and Gascoigne individually as good but not WC winners). Other great players before and after him we're not manager material and he isn't untouchable when influencing who the next manager of Manchester United should be.

Art Vandelay

I dont think so. This was documented even before Mourinho took over, plus the fact that Sir Bobby has stayed away this season are proof enough
I've only ever seen the Sir Bobby one documented. Him staying away isn't evidence of anything, he's a man in his 80's and we've not had many home games this season. I may be wrong, but I could swear he was there towards the end of last season.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I'm not asking for saints. I just fear a situation were the players down tools to try and force the clubs hands. It's happened in his last two clubs. I fear at the end of it all, he might leave us in a worse situ than we currently are.
I don't expect his character to change. The people who think his approach is going to change just because he's a man Utd manager are naive.
Go ahead, ask me for this week's lottery numbers.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Fergie, Gill and Charlton has their chance to choose a manager and the best they could come up with was David fecking Moyes so they can all keep quiet. Jose may Not have worked out to the extent we all hoped, but he was an obvious choice and one of the leading managers in the world.
Good post and also funny.
Fergie and Charlton know a lot about football. Far more than any of us. But when it comes to picking a manager, they are absolutely terrible. David Moyes was an absolute disaster.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
You can keep repeating this 'fact' but it's just fecking conjecture. You have absolutely no idea why Charlton hasn't been attending games. None. Zero.

Schneckerl

Mourinho was the right choice at the time, however he is just someone who last for 2-3 seasons and then you have to get rid of him.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
That's not remotely true though. There were plenty of nimwits who deluded themselves into thinking we were his "dream job" and that he would change at United.
I'm one of those nitwits. How naive...comes to something when even Rui Faria was better behaved than Jose.

MAME DIOUF 32

I think I probably supported Mourinho's hiring at the time. He was never going to be a perfect fit at United but we were in big trouble and he seemed to offer the best chance of getting back to success quickly. He didn't do that and it's got worse and worse. He wasn't a nonsensical appointment, it's just worked out badly.

That being said, I was dead against the new contract and it has been shown to be a terrible decision.