“Certainly he [Bobby Charlton], Ferguson and Gill were against the move”

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Saw Sir Bobby(he might've been at a u23 match)and thought Christ he looks seriously ill, then a few days later SAF was at Old Trafford and I thought he'd never looked better, was going to mention it on the forum in fact, but so glad I didn't because within hours, or so it seemed the news broke about SAF being rushed to hospital for emergency surgery for a brain haemorrhage.

If Sir Bobby is staying away from Old Trafford it's almost certainly because he's seriously ill sadly.

Champagne Football

We all knew he was a terrible fit but we needed someone to steady a sinking ship and he mostly did that for 2 seasons albeit with dreadful football. He was the only manager out there with a big reputation who was available at the time. Ed didn't have a lot of options. As usual Jose got bored in Manchester and started causing trouble so that he can pick up the 25 million severance money ASAP and go on holidays.

He will leave behind a pretty solid foundation for the next guy. Please God Pochettino. But Zidane a very solid 2nd choice too.

Xeno

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/pol...next-manchester-united-manager.412540/page-31

"Mourinho will flop here, especially if Guardiola takes over City. His last big success was in 2010. He knows that his stint at Madrid wasn't very successful and his self-confidence and charisma are gone. People explaining his relatively unmpressive second stint at Chelsea only with the players are kidding themselves. He is not special anymore. His narcissism has gotten the better of his great managerial talent."

Who was that smart back in 2015?
Some of the 'comebacks' in that thread really haven't aged well :)

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
https://www.redcafe.net/threads/pol...next-manchester-united-manager.412540/page-31

"Mourinho will flop here, especially if Guardiola takes over City. His last big success was in 2010. He knows that his stint at Madrid wasn't very successful and his self-confidence and charisma are gone. People explaining his relatively unmpressive second stint at Chelsea only with the players are kidding themselves. He is not special anymore. His narcissism has gotten the better of his great managerial talent."

Who was that smart back in 2015?
You mean who flung all their shit at the wall and came back three years later to show us and brag about how a piece managed to splash the dart board?

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Awesome idea for a thread. Any idea who tried to block Moyes and Van Gaal? I'd be well up for getting a "groundswell of support" to give them a more active "roll" at the club too, whoever they are.
Me...and I didn't want mourinho either. Not even when we got Moyes and everyone thought mourinho was God.

Although, I was basically against anyone but Klopp, who we could have got if we had someone more competent than woodwardin charge.

No one with a brain will want to manage us now. Why would you when you know you'll be undermined and then get sacked via the media. We've done it to three managers in a row now. Neville is right that it's Woodward who should be getting the boot, even if he won't directly say it. As long as we're stuck with him we're going nowhere good

vangagal

The same Charlton Fergie who was so adamant that Fecking Moyes was the one. Now that Moyes was catastrophic failure, Charlton never spoken of him again, Fergie defelct the blame by saying that man was his 5th or 6th choice at that time. How convenient. So we suppose to take his words as gospel now? Remember stood by manager he said before Moyes was announced? So cherry picking to match your believe.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Smart men. I never wanted José at any point either.

Pep, Klopp, Poch, Sarri on the other hand....Can't believe we went with José whilst our rivals got/had these 4. There's still a slim chance of Pochettino coming eventually, but very slim.
Jose would have been a good appointment back in 2013. In 2016 he was already a bit past it. Things can change quickly in football.
I didn't even want him then. I wanted Poch or Pep to replace Fergie. Poch has done a good job of building Spurs since his arrival. I would've loved to have seen him come here and build what he's done at Spurs, but only with more money available to him.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
I didn't even want him then. I wanted Poch or Pep to replace Fergie. Poch has done a good job of building Spurs since his arrival. I would've loved to have seen him come here and build what he's done at Spurs, but only with more money available to him.
Poch just started to manage Southampton at that time.

Treble

Barca and Real had their biggest success after appointing unexperienced as managers legends of the club: Guardiola and Zidane. Their appointment was perceived as very risky or even not particularly clever. But it was spot on. Who from our legends can become a top top manager?

Yagami

Good post resistant
Poch just started to manage Southampton at that time.
I was so impressed with him that I didn't care. Of course I never expected us to sign him (not that I expected Moyes instead!) but I wanted him regardless. I preferred his Soton team to his Spurs one, truth be told.
He would say Poch would destined to be great regardless. Whatever suit the taste. His time matching not working whatever you look at it.
Honestly, I would've. I was so impressed with what he did at Southampton, and think he deserves plenty of praise for what he's done at Spurs, too.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
I remember a while back that Sir Bobby said he would not want Mourinho at the club. Don't know if that changed by the time LVG was fired but wouldn't be surprised if it hadn't.

Jim Beam

I was so impressed with him that I didn't care. Of course I never expected us to sign him (not that I expected Moyes instead!) but I wanted him regardless. I preferred his Soton team to his Spurs one, truth be told.

Honestly, I would've. I was so impressed with what he did at Southampton, and think he deserves plenty of praise for what he's done at Spurs, too.
Fergie left before the start of 2013/14, that was the time when Southampton hired Poch, so you could only be impressed with what he did with Espanyol.

CA_vampire

Certainly he [Bobby Charlton], Ferguson and Gill were for Moyes.

I don't think that Moyes ever embodied anything that Man Utd stands for. He was not known for attacking football. And he has never won anything.

At least Mourinho is considered one of the most successful managers in the world in the past 15 years. He has managed top clubs. He has won the top trophies in the world. Moyes is not even close to that level.

So, if SBC, SAF and Gill were for Moyes... I don't see why they would be against Jose! All these rumors mean nothing.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Fergie left before the start of 2013/14, that was the time when Southampton hired Poch, so you could only be impressed with what he did with Espanyol.
No, Poch was here whilst Sir Alex was, too. He took over in Soton's 1st season back in the prem after they sacked Nigel Adkins.

I remember Poch's Soton absolutely battering us in Fergie's last season at home. We won, but we could not get out of our half at all. After the game, Fergie praised him big time.

Jim Beam

No, Poch was here whilst Sir Alex was, too. He took over in Soton's 1st season back in the prem after they sacked Nigel Adkins.

I remember Poch's Soton absolutely battering us in Fergie's last season at home. We won, but we could not get out of our half at all. After the game, Fergie praised him big time.
Aye, you're correct. He took 5 months into Fergie's last season. Still not a lot, if any time to properly judge him.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Aye, you're correct. He took 5 months into Fergie's last season. Still not a lot, if any time to properly judge him.
It was a long time ago now so I can't blame you for forgetting. :p

It admittedly isn't a lot of time to judge, no, but that's just how impressed I was with him. Pep was definitely my first choice, but I would've been happy with Poch back then, and still would - not that I think we'll be able to get him from Spurs now.

wolvored

"Yeah we were all against it"

Reminds me of the end of the moyes period, people trying to absolve themselves of any blame.

I still will always think we should have appointed mourinho after fergie.
I agree. Mourinho after Fergie would have worked in the short term as he had better players and although aging a lot better defence. His first season we would have won the league again imo. We would be going through this same thing though 2 years ago as it never lasts long with Mourinho. He still would have fell out with half the players by 2016. Every club rinse and repeat.

Jim Beam

It was a long time ago now so I can't blame you for forgetting. :p

It admittedly isn't a lot of time to judge, no, but that's just how impressed I was with him. Pep was definitely my first choice, but I would've been happy with Poch back then, and still would - not that I think we'll be able to get him from Spurs now.
If you did, you really were among the rare ones, if not the only one who wanted Poch then as the breakthrough season was the next one. He took Saints while they were 15th and they finished 14th. Not to mention that the decision about Fergie successor came before the end of the season.

Kudos to you, I guess.

Kostov

I always wanted Mourinho. After Fergie it should have been him, and probably we would have had another league title in the meantime. I wanted him again in 2016, and it leaves a bitter taste how it's pending out.

wolvored

I think it's a mistake to regard Jose as a mistake. He did exactly what he was supposed to do and was expected to do. It's just that now it's time to sack him.
How do you work that out? He was hired to win the league by season 2 as he had done before numerous times. He failed to do that.

Yagami

Good post resistant
If you did, you really were among the rare ones, if not the only one who wanted Poch then as the breakthrough season was the next one. He took Saints while they were 15th and they finished 14th. Not to mention that the decision about Fergie successor came before the end of the season.

Cudos to you, I guess.
I'm not saying I'm special or anything because no one else wanted him. It was perfectly reasonable to not want him as he was still an unproven manager. It's just, in the space of a month, Pochettino had completely transformed their style of play. They were one of the best footballing teams in the league, and even though they only finished 14th as you say, the progress was so evident to me.

His work at Soton was so good in such a short amount of time that I was convinced he was the real deal. I still think that now.

Jim Beam

I'm not saying I'm special or anything because no one else wanted him. It was perfectly reasonable to not want him as he was still an unproven manager. It's just, in the space of a month, Pochettino had completely transformed their style of play. They were one of the best footballing teams in the league, and even though they only finished 14th as you say, the progress was so evident to me.

His work at Soton was so good in such a short amount of time that I was convinced he was the real deal. I still think that now.
Fair enough.

Eleven-Eighteen

Jose Mourinho has been the club's most successful hire since Sir Alex's retirement in 2013.

You're out of our mind if you think that hiring Mourinho 2 and a half years ago and giving Charlton, Fergie and Gill more say in the club are mutually exclusive. Fergie was also the one who hired Moyes btw

If you think back to where we were in 2016, with Van Gaal playing that awful awful football and the Moyes nightmare all too recent. Mourinho, the man who had been shamelessly advocating for the United job since his time at Madrid was suddenly available. Are you seriously telling me that, at the time, it wasn't the best decision?

Yeah he's spent poorly but this summer he wasn't given anyone but Fred. He wanted to shore up our defences but neither Maguire nor Aldeweireld happened. It's not really shocking then that our defence now sucks

Hellboy

Jose Mourinho has been the club's most successful hire since Sir Alex's retirement in 2013.

You're out of our mind if you think that hiring Mourinho 2 and a half years ago and giving Charlton, Fergie and Gill more say in the club are mutually exclusive. Fergie was also the one who hired Moyes btw

If you think back to where we were in 2016, with Van Gaal playing that awful awful football and the Moyes nightmare all too recent. Mourinho, the man who had been shamelessly advocating for the United job since his time at Madrid was suddenly available. Are you seriously telling me that, at the time, it wasn't the best decision?

Yeah he's spent poorly but this summer he wasn't given anyone but Fred. He wanted to shore up our defences but neither Maguire nor Aldeweireld happened. It's not really shocking then that our defence now sucks
It sucks because he bought a couple of defenders for £70m who suck at defending.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
My concern was getting rid of LvG. Mourinho appointment was a secondary factor, and with his record and availability, he seemed an obvious choice at the time. I have a feeling Woodward bases his hiring policy and firing policy of players and managers based on social media.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
That's not remotely true though. There were plenty of nimwits who deluded themselves into thinking we were his "dream job" and that he would change at United.
We were his dream job. He'd been quite obvious about it for years. Most likely it was 50% the idea of taking over from Fergie, 50% the fact we were willing to give the manager more leeway and more control than any other top club in the world.

As it turned out, after not succeeding as much as we liked in his first two seasons (at least in terms of playstyle and individual player form; I think most of us thought results were decent other than Sevilla) Woodward reduced that level of control at the beginning of this season. I guess you could argue Perisic the previous season as well, but at the time he was a one-off while he got pretty much everyone else Jose seemed to want.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
How do you work that out? He was hired to win the league by season 2 as he had done before numerous times. He failed to do that.
I know but he was beaten by a freakishly good City. He got enough points to win the league in normal circumstances, and that's all you can expect. That he didn't, I find it hard to blame him for. The drab football he served up in the process, I would be less forgiving of.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
He’s the only one who will take us higher than when we got him in.

Also our best cup win.
Europa League is as good as FA Cup and Mourinho got us a higher position than LvG.

Smart men. I never wanted José at any point either.

Pep, Klopp, Poch, Sarri on the other hand....Can't believe we went with José whilst our rivals got/had these 4. There's still a slim chance of Pochettino coming eventually, but very slim.

You wanted Pochettino to replace Fergie based on his time at Espanyol or 3 months at Southampton?

I’ve seen this line many times recently, people saying they wanted Pochettino to replace Fergie. Find it a bit suspect considering Pochettino has basically broken onto stage after 2013.

Treble

I know but he was beaten by a freakishly good City. He got enough points to win the league in normal circumstances, and that's all you can expect. That he didn't, I find it hard to blame him for. The drab football he served up in the process, I would be less forgiving of.
81 pts don't win the league often. Normally, 85+ pts would do the job.

Eire Red United

We didn't actually know what we were getting into. By LVG's last season many acted like we were idiots for not going after Jose by listening to Charlton's recommendation. On the pitch many also thought we would get the Madrid version of Jose that would break goal scoring records. Also thought he failed at Madrid and Chelsea because they were circuses. Now we know from experience he was likely the circus master
Or that we’re a circus too.

Yagami

Good post resistant
You wanted Pochettino to replace Fergie based on his time at Espanyol or 3 months at Southampton?

I’ve seen this line many times recently, people saying they wanted Pochettino to replace Fergie. Find it a bit suspect considering Pochettino has basically broken onto stage after 2013.
I did, yes! Not so much his Espanyol team, but his Soton team impressed me so much that I would've loved for us to take a shot on him. Not that I expected us to, which is fair enough considering how big of a risk it would've been. Not sure if I posted it at the time (may have still been in the newbies - can't remember) but I did. He was my 2nd choice after Pep.

On the topic of José, I never wanted him but could see why he'd have been appointed after Fergie and Moyes. After van Gaal, though, I think we needed a manager of similar ilk to build on what van Gaal was trying to achieve here instead of going in the complete opposite direction.

SER19

This has just been a quote on Five Live from Sam Lockhurst at the MEN, talking about Mourinho being hired. The Five Live presenter acted like it was common knowledge. He also said Bobby Charlton hasn’t been at the club all year.

What the hell are we doing as a club? How can it be when every single United fan knew what we were getting into by hiring Mourinho this still went ahead.

The basic idea of this thread is to try and get a groundswell of support for Ferguson, Charlton, Gill and the rest being given a more active roll at the club. These people get Man United and somehow we have allowed people with outside interests to push forward the idea of Mourinho and his ilk.
Funny to see this post as when I made a thread prior to the season about the fans responsibility in calling out the running of the club you were very dismissive and went on to say we had been well run and largely dismiss my point.

Greck

Europa League is as good as FA Cup and Mourinho got us a higher position than LvG.

I’ve seen this line many times recently, people saying they wanted Pochettino to replace Fergie. Find it a bit suspect considering Pochettino has basically broken onto stage after
A number of people did though, he was like the Eddy Howe alternative back then. Was actually a good call by those people