“Knows what the club is about, traditions and way”

TsuWave

That seems to hold a lot of weight in regards to justifying a managerial appointment these days. Allegedly. :wenger:

How come Liverpool went through like 2 decades of “one of their own” managerial appointments and it took a German with pearly yellows to get them right?

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
You’re right, what success could someone like Zidane bring to Madrid, Pep to Barce? Remember when Chelsea won the CL, who was their manager?

TsuWave

You’re right, what success could someone like Zidane bring to Madrid, Pep to Barce? Remember when Chelsea won the CL, who was their manager?
right, right, I take it that by not answering my question you’re in agreement that like most things it’s no guarantee of anything and shouldn’t incite blind faith then?

Zidane and Pep are very successful managers by the way, arguably generational. Chances of many recreating that success are slim to none.

Rojofiam

Zidane and Pep are very successful managers by the way, arguably generational. Chances of many recreating that success are slim to none.
Wasn't the same argument made against Zidane before he replaced Benitez?

TsuWave

Don’t know, I wasn’t there :wenger:

bear in mind that Zidane had an all star cast and arguably the best player of all time, plus, he’s also one of the most celebrated players of all time.

RooneyLegend

In fairness Pool got lucky someone as good as Klopp was available. We on the other hand have very little high quality options available so went the other route.

WhiteRabbitWithBlackEars

Supports
Liverpool
Knowing the club from the inside certainly helps. Forget history and culture. Its the people that matter. To know the structure, the hierarchy, having friends inside the club who hold some authority, all that matters. People always talk about players power. But I think the permanent staff of the club holds similar or even greater power. If you don't get along with them the chances are high you will not last long as a manager.

Eriku

That seems to hold a lot of weight in regards to justifying a managerial appointment these days. Allegedly. :wenger:

How come Liverpool went through like 2 decades of “one of their own” managerial appointments and it took a German with pearly yellows to get them right?
We went for the heroic Scot narrative, then we tried the supposed sure things with LvG and Mou, how did that turn out? We didn’t go with one of our own, not until the 4th manager post-Fergie (sry Giggs, you don’t count).

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Having a player who was a well liked former player at the club is good because the fans will automatically support them and the players would immediately respect them.

TsuWave

We went for the heroic Scot narrative, then we tried the supposed sure things with LvG and Mou, how did that turn out? We didn’t go with one of our own, not until the 4th manager post-Fergie (sry Giggs, you don’t count).
Doesn’t really answer my question, but are you saying this is pretty much just another shot in the dark and people that question it shouldn’t be drowned out with qualifiers like “know what the club is about” as if that amounted to much then?

as a side note, just out of curiosity, you think LvG and a manager that had been fired from his previous two jobs including having a title winning squad sitting as 16th on the table before getting the boot were “sure things”?

Revaulx

Leeds had three ex-Revie era players in succession as manager in the 80s (Clarke, Gray, Bremner). I suppose the hope was that some of Revie’s greatness had rubbed off on at least one of them. Success only came when they had a total reset and brought the detail-obsessed Howard Wilkinson in from Wednesday.

I sincerely hope Ole isn’t followed by Bruce and Hughes...

Eriku

Doesn’t really answer my question, but are you saying this is pretty much just another shot in the dark and people that question it shouldn’t be drowned out with qualifiers like “know what the club is about” as if that amounted to much then?

as a side note, just out of curiosity, you think LvG and a manager that had been fired from his previous two jobs including having a title winning squad sitting as 16th on the table before getting the boot were “sure things”?
How can I answer your question when it’s based on a flawed premise?

I’m not saying it’s a shot in the dark. Personally, my feeling is that Ole knows the mentality needed at a club like United, and he showed a lot the first couple of months, until injuries and player fatigue dented our performances.

There is obviously nothing as a truly sure thing, but LvG and Mou both know what it’s like to constantly win, and they have managed real big clubs. As far as options for hiring, who the hell had better pedigrees and were available?

Last edited:

TsuWave

How can I answer your question when it’s based on a flawed premise?

I’m not saying it’s a shot in the dark. Personally, my feeling is that Ole knows the mentality needed at a club like United, and he showed a lot the first couple of months, until injuries and player fatigue dented our performances.

There is obviously nothing as a truly sure thing, but LvG and Mou both know what it’s like to constantly win, and they have managed real big clubs. As far as options for hiring, who the hell had better pedigrees and were available?
Did those guys Liverpool hired not know the mentality needed at a club like theirs? So during the winning run it was Ole showing his qualities, now in the losing run it’s the players (injuries and fatigue)? How does us winning multiple games against the run of play factor into that?

Also, manager of better pedigree not being available at x moment in time doesn’t translate into LvG and Mourinho being “sure things”.

Leeds had three ex-Revie era players in succession as manager in the 80s (Clarke, Gray, Bremner). I suppose the hope was that some of Revie’s greatness had rubbed off on at least one of them. Success only came when they had a total reset and brought the detail-obsessed Howard Wilkinson in from Wednesday.

I sincerely hope Ole isn’t followed by Bruce and Hughes...
Nightmare inducing stuff

Loublaze

ATLien
In fairness Pool got lucky someone as good as Klopp was available. We on the other hand have very little high quality options available so went the other route.
Klopp was one of the names being touted in the press to replace Moyes. Many on here wanted it

Loublaze

ATLien
But, Klopp was no really available then. And when he became available Van Gaal was entering his second season.
He was already done with Dortmund at the time and gave up competing with Bayern. Im sure he'd have walked for the right price

Tarrou

because there is more than one variable involved in success

andyish

Supports
Liverpool
Klopp was one of the names being touted in the press to replace Moyes. Many on here wanted it
Given the posts in the ‘Should we hope Man City beat us’ thread, there’s probably a decent number of Man Utd who in hindsight would’ve taken Klopp and been happy to finish 6th every season since if it meant Liverpool didn’t get him and a shot at the title this season!

Siorac

I guess the point is that "knowing the club" doesn't make it more or less likely that a manager will succeed. It's a variable with very little significance.

Loving your username btw. I can almost hear the exasperation.

Rojofiam

I guess the point is that "knowing the club" doesn't make it more or less likely that a manager will succeed. It's a variable with very little significance.
I agree with your point, but it's also barely worth talking about because fortunately, Ole has seemed anything but clueless so far in my opinion.

Loving your username btw. I can almost hear the exasperation.
It basically means "my son, Rojo" :lol: I can't really explain it further, one of my friends said it and it sounds funny in Hungarian

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I agree with your point, but it's also barely worth talking about because fortunately, Ole has seemed anything but clueless so far in my opinion.

It basically means "my son, Rojo" :lol: I can't really explain it further, one of my friends said it and it sounds funny in Hungarian
Tell your son to find a new club and send a whatsapp message to Smalling "You can't pass to save your amigo, ye prick".

Runaway Sue

This is such a stupid argument. You would have a point if those 4 were the only managers in the world but they aren't, are they? Actually it reminds me of that Seinfeld episode "The Oppsite" when Jerry tells George; "If every instinct you have is wrong, then the opposite would have to be right.". While it worked out for him in that episode that logic isnt working in real life. Just because we've tried 2 experienced managers and failed doesnt mean we have to go to the other side of the spectrum to come good.

Although i would have preferred a different manager i will stand behind him and hold my judgment until he's been here at least a year. This summer will be very interesting.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Having a player who was a well liked former player at the club is good because the fans will automatically support them and the players would immediately respect them.
i think that's romantism. Players like pogba de gea etc wont give a feck about giggs keane scholes ole. They respect him because of his role as the manager, i dont think that fazed then that much. Younger player might give them abit more credit but i believe past achievements as players only gets you 1 month of respect before their man management skill took over.

Managers like jose lvg aren't lacking in achievement to deserve some respect but it doesnt get them anywhere

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Well someone sold our club as adult disneyland...

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Posted in other thread, will just repost it again in this thread

On the other hand you can say the biggest clubs are built or led by the people who played or spent time at the clubs.

Juventus - Their comeback was because of Conte, their former player, who played for more than 10 years and won everything there is to win.
Atletico Madrid - Their former player who won league title as a player for Atletico Madrid
Real Madrid - Their legendary player who came back as manager and won 3 CL titles. Before that their most successful period was under Del Bosque who played almost his entire career at Madrid.
Barcelona - They won 5 CL titles, 4 of them are won by coaches who were also superb players for Barca. Cruyff, Pep, Luis Enrique.
Milan - Won league title, couple of CL titles and few runners up under ex Milan player Ancelotti.
Bayern - Their president and Chairman are ex Bayern players who won everything at Bayern.
Ajax are back to CL, many of their Ex player are running the club now. They won 6 league titles in last 20 years and all of them under ex Ajax players. They won CL under manager who was assistant at Ajax
PSV have won league title and leading table under their Ex player now.

Just because Liverpool somehow messed up doesn't mean it's a failed method. (btw they were very successful with Shalkly, Paisley, Fagan, Dalglish. All successive managers promoted within).

Siorac

I know what it means, I'm quite good at my native language ;)

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Given the posts in the ‘Should we hope Man City beat us’ thread, there’s probably a decent number of Man Utd who in hindsight would’ve taken Klopp and been happy to finish 6th every season since if it meant Liverpool didn’t get him and a shot at the title this season!
Yeah. That's the same.

Emrethis

If the aim is to get the United under fergie back, then knowing the club is essential. If the aim is simply to be successful, then knowing the club is merely a bonus. Its helpful, but it won't be the reason he succeeds, just as it won't be the reason he fails.

TsuWave

If the aim is to get the United under fergie back, then knowing the club is essential. If the aim is simply to be successful, then knowing the club is merely a bonus. Its helpful, but it won't be the reason he succeeds, just as it won't be the reason he fails.
Nice soundbite but what is the “United under Fergie”?

also, you’re never getting whatever that was back because Fergie is gone and because football/the league/our rivals have changed.

Thomas A.Anderson

So we are just gonna ignore what kind of squad Zidane and Pep had?

I would be pretty confident in Ole if we had Messi, Xavi, Iniesta.... or Ronaldo, Modrić, Kroos, Bale... in our squad.

Dan600

With respect is your question even right? Which one of their appointments before Klopp was one of their own? They had Kenny Dalglish for 1 season. Not 2 decades, and an ex manager who already had some level of success at that.

I don’t recall Houllier, Benitez, Hodgson or Rodgers having any connection to Liverpool? I get people bring knee jerk about Solskjaer not being right or experienced enough, but this is completely the opposite to most of our appointments and mirrors 1 year of Liverpool, not 2 decades :confused:

And a different slant, ex players being manager at their clubs doesn’t always fail, the modern example would be Eddie Howe at Bournemouth. Struggled at Burnley, went back to Bournemouth and started getting success again.

Last edited:

Classical Mechanic

With respect is your question even right? Which one of their appointments before Klopp was one of their own? They had Kenny Dalglish for 1 season. Not 2 decades, and an ex manager who already had some level of success at that.

I don’t recall Houllier, Benitez, Hodgson or Rodgers having any connection to Liverpool? I get people bring knee jerk about Solskjaer not being right or experienced enough, but this is completely the opposite to most of our appointments and mirrors 1 year of Liverpool, not 2 decades :confused:
Indeed. The ‘boot room’ method ended with Roy Evans.

Ixion

I found it very worrying all the talk of he knows the club, the traditions, the fans, having learnt under Sir Alex etc. to justify Ole's appointment. It's naive and simplistic. The best man for the job is the best man for the job, not the one who has played the most games here.

Revaulx

Indeed. The ‘boot room’ method ended with Roy Evans.
It ended with Souness. Ex-player for sure, but he’d cut his managerial teeth elsewhere and was brought in for the express purpose of giving the boot room culture a shakeup, as the club felt it had got complacent in Dalglish’s later years. Instead of a shakeup, he took an axe to it. With disastrous consequences :D. Evans was an attempt to get back to it, but the damage was too deep by then.

Eriku

Did those guys Liverpool hired not know the mentality needed at a club like theirs? So during the winning run it was Ole showing his qualities, now in the losing run it’s the players (injuries and fatigue)? How does us winning multiple games against the run of play factor into that?

Also, manager of better pedigree not being available at x moment in time doesn’t translate into LvG and Mourinho being “sure things”.
I was assessing Ole, I can't speak much for the likes of Souness and Dalglish, and the particular problems Liverpool faced in their transition.

And no, I'm not arguing that good stuff is due to Ole and bad stuff is due to the players, but clearly Ole played a part. The first few weeks we saw moves that they were explicitly working on pay off and win us games. We rode our luck a bit, but clearly that's evened out lately.

This is such a stupid argument. You would have a point if those 4 were the only managers in the world but they aren't, are they? Actually it reminds me of that Seinfeld episode "The Oppsite" when Jerry tells George; "If every instinct you have is wrong, then the opposite would have to be right.". While it worked out for him in that episode that logic isnt working in real life. Just because we've tried 2 experienced managers and failed doesnt mean we have to go to the other side of the spectrum to come good.

Although i would have preferred a different manager i will stand behind him and hold my judgment until he's been here at least a year. This summer will be very interesting.
Try reading it again. His claim was that we've fallen into the pitfalls that Liverpool did back in the day with their club history appointments, when we demonstrably didn't do that for the first 6 years post Fergie.

youmeletsfly

Knowing what the club is about and its traditions not only helps in the good way for a new manager. Okay, it's helpful to know that United is an elegant club, that gives youth a chance, plays with wingers, plays on the front foot, etc.

But, when speaking about a manager, "knowing what the club is about" means also knowing the bad side at the organizational level in terms of who has special connection, who represents a blocker, who has influence and stuff like that. This is why most of the managers that "know a club" will ultimately succeed because they skip the "learning the club" phase.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
It's possible to regard Moyes in light of the Scouse pitfall theory. He was given the job on Fergie's sayso, no other factor seems to have been involved. So, even if he wasn't a United man, he was nevertheless a blatant attempt at keeping on keeping on, much like the boot room principle.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Being a big name helps when dealing with those little prima donna's. Obviously Vinicius is more inclined to Listen to Zinedine Zidane than some fat waiter.

Vfc_brato

Supports
FK Velež
There is no luck in it, we could have gone all in for Zidane but we stuck with Mourinho..after few months for what? OGS? We suck at lot of things in management, its obvious, so there is no luck just brainles people making wrong choices.