“Peacock quality” strikers

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
Fergie mentioned in this autobiography that Berbatov was lacking in self-assurance. “He never had the Cantona or Andy Cole peacock quality, or the confidence of Teddy Sheringham…”.

So, which current strikers of ours have this “peacock quality” and who should we go for to get one, or two, more?

Sterling Archer

Never felt Lukaku was lacking in belief. If there's anyone that might have been shy after some of the horror stepovers and touches it's him. But he's always seemed confident enough to keep going.

Abizzz

Rashford extrudes that confidence without any of the negative attributes associated to it. Pogba is the whole package but obviously not a striker. Other than that I don't think we have anyone who truly fits that bill. Could use another.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
I get the impression that Mason Greenwood will be that sort of striker.

lysglimt

Scout
Not exactly a striker but Ferguson described Les Sealey in that way. According to Ferguson, Sealey actually thought he was the best goakeeper in the world, and that was part of what made him as good as he was.

heinze58

Supports
SETI
I thought you were on about Gavin Peacock at first but he wasn’t all that good. I guess Lingard has a fair bit of peacock in him if I had to pick a more forward player...

ROFLUTION

Not a striker of ours, but Bendtner - His extreme confidence has never matched his abilities :lol: I like it though. Why moan about missed opportunities, and let it get to your performance?

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Lukaku and Rashford for us.

Irrational.

Harry Kane is trying to be a peacock with his recent shaving advert and quips about playing in the NFL but he's more of a tit.

Zlatan is the last player we had with that.

Pogba is too fragile, a game goes against him and he starts to lose it.

Mbappe is probably the one at the moment and he'll surely leave PSG in the next couple of years.

Sparky Rhiwabon

I think Rashford does have quite a lot of confidence. The way he lashed that penalty in against PSG demonstrated that.

I think Harry Kane certainly has it - I think he’s bordering on arrogance, which is not necessarily a bad thing for a footballer.

Adebesi

I dont see it in Rashford. This isn't to my mind about self confidence exactly, its arrogance. Rashford is too unassuming, if anything he seems quite modest.

Maybe it's just his age, maybe he'll have it more in a few years. Don't see it though.

BAMSOLA

Has issues!
Supports
A Crack Habit.
Lukaku and Rashford for us.
Nah, both good players but neither of them currently exude that kind of confidence either on or off the pitch (Lukaku may talk that way but his overall play and his dips in form says otherwise).

There are actually very few of theses sorts of personalities in the game that I can think of in terms of up and coming players, however Kane, Ronaldo, Messi and Aguero are good examples of that caliber of player. Piatek and Mbappe looks to be cut from the same cloth and there are more, however unless Greenwood turns out to be one we don't currently have one.

tomaldinho1

We don't have one - as much as some posters are trying to say we do - the quote is about self-assurance and confidence. Rashford is more of a quiet, steely determination type player rather than someone who exudes self confidence/borders on arrogance.

Lots of the younger players coming through are a bit more sheltered now - there's not many players like Evra knocking around anymore - but Pogba has the confidence/arrogance part. They're a rare breed amongst strikers but someone like Drogba would be a prime example, he'd back himself against anyone.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Why would anyone enter a thread thinking it’s about Gavin Peacock? :lol:

deadrevelz

Zlatan. He's right about Berbatov too, never had the ruthless streak to impose his style on the game. He waited for opportunities to present themselves. Massive talent though.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Never felt Lukaku was lacking in belief. If there's anyone that might have been shy after some of the horror stepovers and touches it's him. But he's always seemed confident enough to keep going.
This made me laught for some reason. Like a child learning to walk.

Spielmacher

Never felt Lukaku was lacking in belief
I disagree, he's quite the "confidence player" IMO. The longer his "dry spells" the more his head goes down, until he happens to score a goal again and his confidence comes back gradually.

I think Rashford could have the making to be that striker for us, his ridiculous long-shot attempts every single game make it seem that he doesn't lack in confidence, unless that's something he's specifically instructed to do.

ivaldo

Nah, both good players but neither of them currently exude that kind of confidence either on or off the pitch (Lukaku may talk that way but his overall play and his dips in form says otherwise).

There are actually very few of theses sorts of personalities in the game that I can think of in terms of up and coming players, however Kane, Ronaldo, Messi and Aguero are good examples of that caliber of player. Piatek and Mbappe looks to be cut from the same cloth and there are more, however unless Greenwood turns out to be one we don't currently have one.
Disagree. Dips in form are present in every players career, even those as self assured as Ronaldo, Messi and Kane. But you don’t have to look far for evidence from either player showing absolute confidence to their own ability. How often have we seen Lukaku, his technical ability comparatively weak in comparison to those mentioned before, try an audacious overhead kick or a barrage of stepovers? Rashford will take a shot on goal from almost any distance at any angle, such is his confidence in finding the net.

Andersons Dietician

I mean I don’t particularly think he is a great player but he believes he is but the only forward we have that struts about like a peacock after he does something moderately well is Lingard. Unfortunately his ability doesn’t match his confidence.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Disagree. Dips in form are present in every players career, even those as self assured as Ronaldo, Messi and Kane. But you don’t have to look far for evidence from either player showing absolute confidence to their own ability. How often have we seen Lukaku, his technical ability comparatively weak in comparison to those mentioned before, try an audacious overhead kick or a barrage of stepovers? Rashford will take a shot on goal from almost any distance at any angle, such is his confidence in finding the net.
That's why I love Rashford, lots of people think that he is too greedy, too cocky but as a striker it's a great quality, when he misses you don't have to worry about him not taking his chance at the next opportunity.

Zed 101

For strutting cannot look further than the Lingard moonwalk, brilliant

In regards to our current 1st team I would say Martial is the only striker we have who struts, just needs a consistent run and next season he will shine I am sure,
I love Rashford, probably my favourite player since Giggs emerged but he doesn't strut maybe he will grow into it and will develop an arrogance but it isn't there yet, one of his endearing qualities is his humility
Lukaku has proven his quality, bur he isn't a peacock, will be interesting to see how good he can become under a manager who is going to get him fitter than he has ever been.

Adebesi

Again, the self confidence thing is a bit of a red herring. The peacock implication says to me this is not an inward looking thing, it is not (merely) about your own belief in your own ability, there is something demonstrative about it. Peacocks are flamboyant, they are extrovert. They have self confidence, but the kind of self confidence that can be seen from far away, the kind that cannot be ignored. The kind that has an affect on other people looking at them, not on themselves alone.

It is one thing to believe you are really good at football. Martial has that, as does Rashford. But neither of them are extrovert type players. Neither has that kind of personality that screams "LOOK AT ME" the way peacocks do.

Ronaldo had it, but I think Cantona and Ibra are actually the best examples of it from my lifetime.

ivaldo

Again, the self confidence thing is a bit of a red herring. The peacock implication says to me this is not an inward looking thing, it is not (merely) about your own belief in your own ability, there is something demonstrative about it. Peacocks are flamboyant, they are extrovert. They have self confidence, but the kind of self confidence that can be seen from far away, the kind that cannot be ignored. The kind that has an affect on other people looking at them, not on themselves alone.

It is one thing to believe you are really good at football. Martial has that, as does Rashford. But neither of them are extrovert type players. Neither has that kind of personality that screams "LOOK AT ME" the way peacocks do.

Ronaldo had it, but I think Cantona and Ibra are actually the best examples of it from my lifetime.
It’s open to interpretation, but if we consider Ferguson’s understanding of the term, particularly as we are using it as a reference for this thread, then I don’t believe being an extrovert is necessarily an essential aspect of it. He only name drops three players, one of them being Teddy Sheringham who was everything but an extrovert during his tenure at the club.

That's why I love Rashford, lots of people think that he is too greedy, too cocky but as a striker it's a great quality, when he misses you don't have to worry about him not taking his chance at the next opportunity.
It is such a great quality to have. These are the type of players that decide games, that step up while other wilt under pressure. I don’t see it as selfishness with Rashford, but as the utter belief that he can be the deciding factor in a game.

Adebesi

It’s open to interpretation, but if we consider Ferguson’s understanding of the term, particularly as we are using it as a reference for this thread, then I don’t believe being an extrovert is necessarily an essential aspect of it. He only name drops three players, one of them being Teddy Sheringham who was everything but an extrovert during his tenure at the club.
“He never had the Cantona or Andy Cole peacock quality, or the confidence of Teddy Sheringham…”.

That doesnt say Sheringham is actually himself a peacock.

Though Cole doesnt fit my description either.