“United don’t even fancy it” - Carragher

Status
Not open for further replies.

SER19

In addition to that the away gave versus Palace was extremely lacklustre.. we really should be a bit closet to Citeh.
Well even allowing all those disasters had we beaten Leeds alone it would still even be a little interesting. But i can't get on board with criticising not winning the league when so many of those now demanding it didn't seem to think we could even get top 4. Im going to stay encouraged by continuing to progress and hope this summer we buy far better than last

careyj

Until we learn how to get through teams who put up a wall and defend in numbers against us we will never win the title.
It happens week in, week out yet Ole and his cronies don't have the answers, methods or know how to break down the deep defending teams.

croadyman

Well even allowing all those disasters had we beaten Leeds alone it would still even be a little interesting. But i can't get on board with criticising not winning the league when so many of those now demanding it didn't seem to think we could even get top 4. Im going to stay encouraged by continuing to progress and hope this summer we buy far better than last
Yeah like you say even Leeds victory has us two points closer but then they have been top notch at home against the big six so will focus on that period earlier in the year where ultimately the pressure of title talk unsettled us

EngimaMK

A couple of shit draws turned into wins would've made the next few weeks very interesting.

big rons sovereign

Until we learn how to get through teams who put up a wall and defend in numbers against us we will never win the title.
It happens week in, week out yet Ole and his cronies don't have the answers, methods or know how to break down the deep defending teams.
:houllier:

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
There's still just too many games where we don't look like we're arsed. Sometimes we still manage to come out on top, but it'll never be enough to win the league

croadyman

There's still just too many games where we don't look like we're arsed. Sometimes we still manage to come out on top, but it'll never be enough to win the league
That is a very valid point indeed

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I think the Players did really believe honestly. I remember the spirit after one of the games in January when we saw out a win and everyone jumped on Bailly. I think the team genuinely believed then. But then Pogba got injured and we lost to Sheffield and threw away 2 points to Everton and thats when the team lost belief in the title chances and decided to just consolidate 2nd and go all out for the EL. I think if City had shown a more mortal run of form dropping a couple more games along the way the belief would have come back and we would have been still in and I bet Ole would have come out swinging too. But they didn't, and at that point Ole was right to say the title is gone as he'd have looked stupid talking about a title race sitting 8-10 points behind when City are looking so unlikely to drop 10 points over the course of the season let alone us being able to make that gap up.
To a degree, but you will recall that Carragher’s comments came before Everton, Sheffield etc. I don’t agree as being classified as some sort of ‘moaner’, I’m extremely optimistic about the team. For me, the only issue I had is the noises that were coming from the camp (and beyond) when we were level on top. It was all ‘not thinking about the title, just want to improve’, ‘nobody thinks they can win it’ etc. We were top. Who should think they can win it if not us?!

Real Name

Are you stuck in a 2019 or 2020?

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Maybe we just dropped more points than City because we're not as good as them?

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I don’t necessarily expect better from the squad, but I must say, I did expect a little better from Ole. Regardless of our plans at the beginning of the season, or whatever schedule we had decided that would be right for us to challenge for the league - we found ourselves at the top THIS season, not next season. Ole, as a man who understands as well as anyone that this club isn’t about second place - I thought he would come out swinging and talking it up as if this was normal rather trying to at least publicly run away from it. That’s my only grievance.

You also don’t get to pick when you are ready. David Moyes likely thought it would be later on that West Ham may get here. Leicester find themselves in the top 4, despite not being part of the ‘Big 6’. If you feel that is where you belong, you will show it in your approach when you get there. For me, United’s gave me the impression, when they were first, that they felt they belonged in second place. And of course, City said okay then.

I don’t think our players are lesser than any in the league. I do think they have been made to feel that by literally everyone involved in the game, and have started to believe it a bit. They need to shed this underdog attitude, this is Manchester United. But we keep telling them ‘don’t worry, you still need a few players, you’re doing great now’, meanwhile City need a striker but get on with it, need a better left back but get on with it.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not against us finishing second this year. But I do feel it is hard to just flick a switch and expect these players to REALLY believe it when they have been made to feel lesser for so long. I personally think we have the squad to win the league now, but some players are not winners and are not doing enough. But they are capable. Liverpool put a few players from Southampton and here and there together and won everything, yet we keep waiting on the perfect squad before we can say we are ready to try. Our players are better than people give them credit for, I think.
Using your argument about Moyes & Leicester, I can also say the same that Ole & Manchester United still managed to find a way to be in 2nd place despite before the season started, the expectation from all football fans /pundits/journalists believe that United won't finish in top 4 because United failed to strengthen their main XI teams while the other teams strengthened their main team.

You are all over the place right now mate. In the first paragraph you said ''I don’t necessarily expect better from the squad'' but in the last paragraph you are saying ''We have the squad to win the league now, but some players are not winners and are not doing enough''. This makes zero sense, you don't expect better from the squad but you actually expect better? Choose which one mate.

No matter how talented players are, players still need time to develop to be matured and fulfil their potential. We lost the attitude before Ole came in and Ole is building that attitude and mentality again from scratch and we have shown sign of progress in our attitude and mentality this season. I don't understand what do you expect better from Ole? You need to say it what you expect better, even Ole said himself 2nd is not good enough. But that's the point he's building and developing the squad & players so we can do better than being 3rd and 2nd.

Leftback99

They have more losses than us.

We just have a lot of draws due to approaching games very cautiously at times.
Or we just weren't good enough to win those games at the time. City lost yesterday because they played a second string. Totally irrelevant.

You can't just lock in every win and say yeah we deserved that, that's how good we are. But then say every dropped point is because we didn't try harder or whatever. Every team can say the same thing.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I think the pragmatic approach mid season has cost us a few points, Liverpool at Anfield immediately springs to mind. Arsenal also. Those games could have been won with more ambition. All in all it’s been a much better season though, we just need to be a little braver at times in the bigger games. I think a centre back or a defensive midfielder would help our defence issues out too. The Sheffield loss was inexcusable.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
We can say if we won these games we'd have been champions but we didn't win because our team is still lacking.

Our signings except Cavani haven't made much difference. If we spent the VDB money on someone who could've improved the first team we might've gotten closer.

If Pogba had stayed fit for longer we might have gotten closer.

He'sRaldo

Or we just weren't good enough to win those games at the time. City lost yesterday because they played a second string. Totally irrelevant.
I thought City are so far ahead that they can win any game with their 2nd string?

In any case, even at the time when those matches happened the pragmatic approach to the games was pointed out. We played for a draw vs most of the traditional top teams and were satisfied afterwards. Little did we know that teams like Chelsea, Liverpool, and Arsenal were actually pretty shite and we should have gone for the 3 points.

Hopefully it's a lesson learned for next season.

Leftback99

I thought City can win any game with their 2nd string?

In any case, even at the time when those matches happened the pragmatic approach to the games was pointed out. We played for a draw vs most of the traditional top teams and were satisfied afterwards. Little did we know that teams like Chelsea, Liverpool, and Arsenal were actually pretty shite and we should have gone for the 3 points.

Hopefully it's a lesson learned for next season.
We didn't play for the draws we just weren't good enough to win. Mainly from a lack of quality in attack.

City were playing a fellow CL finalist who have almost as strong a squad as them.

Giggsy13

We still have to address holes in our starting 11 (CB, CDM, RW, striker) while city could field two very competitive starting 11s. City’s depth is unbelievable in comparison to ours. The fact we can keep the gap to under 10 points would be an accomplishment.

He'sRaldo

We didn't play for the draws we just weren't good enough to win. Mainly from a lack of quality in attack.
Here are the post match reactions.

0-0 vs Chelsea: https://www.redcafe.net/threads/post-match-vs-chelsea.458401/
0-1 vs Arsenal: https://www.redcafe.net/threads/post-match-vs-arsenal.458586/
0-0 vs City: https://www.redcafe.net/threads/post-match-vs-manchester-city.459499/
0-0 vs Liverpool: https://www.redcafe.net/threads/post-match-vs-liverpool.460281/
0-0 vs Arsenal: https://www.redcafe.net/threads/post-match-vs-arsenal.460571/
0-0 vs Chelsea: https://www.redcafe.net/threads/post-match-vs-chelsea.461173/
0-0 vs Palace: https://www.redcafe.net/threads/post-match-vs-crystal-palace.461240/

We all saw the lack of ambition at the time and pointed out as much in the post match discussions. Just because a bit of time has passed doesn't mean that we've forgotten how it actually panned out.

Leftback99

Here are the post match reactions.

0-0 vs Chelsea: https://www.redcafe.net/threads/post-match-vs-chelsea.458401/
0-1 vs Arsenal: https://www.redcafe.net/threads/post-match-vs-arsenal.458586/
0-0 vs City: https://www.redcafe.net/threads/post-match-vs-manchester-city.459499/
0-0 vs Liverpool: https://www.redcafe.net/threads/post-match-vs-liverpool.460281/
0-0 vs Arsenal: https://www.redcafe.net/threads/post-match-vs-arsenal.460571/
0-0 vs Chelsea: https://www.redcafe.net/threads/post-match-vs-chelsea.461173/
0-0 vs Palace: https://www.redcafe.net/threads/post-match-vs-crystal-palace.461240/

We all saw the lack of ambition at the time and pointed out as much in the post match discussions. Just because a bit of time has passed doesn't mean that we've forgotten how it actually panned out.
The opposition can all say the same.

Picking one out, look at the team for the Arsenal game. It's what most would call our strongest line up, it just wasn't good enough.

InfiniteBoredom

I think the pragmatic approach mid season has cost us a few points, Liverpool at Anfield immediately springs to mind. Arsenal also. Those games could have been won with more ambition. All in all it’s been a much better season though, we just need to be a little braver at times in the bigger games. I think a centre back or a defensive midfielder would help our defence issues out too. The Sheffield loss was inexcusable.
We dropped 4 points with minutes to go against Leicester and Everton, got 1 point out of 6 vs Palace and lost to Sheffield at home. That’s the title gone right there, in about a month.

I have issues with our big game record this season as well, but playing for draws in them wasn’t the issue. Losing points from eminently winnable fixtures or winning position was.

He'sRaldo

The opposition can all say the same.

Picking one out, look at the team for the Arsenal game. It's what most would call our strongest line up, it just wasn't good enough.
It's not a coincidence we're the ones with the substantial number of 0-0 draws and not the opposition.

Leftback99

It's not a coincidence we're the ones with the record number of 0-0 draws and not the opposition.
More 0-1 defeats would be better?

You are taking a blinkered view where results could have only been better, never worse, including the victories.

croadyman

We still have to address holes in our starting 11 (CB, CDM, RW, striker) while city could field two very competitive starting 11s. City’s depth is unbelievable in comparison to ours. The fact we can keep the gap to under 10 points would be an accomplishment.
Yeah if we could get two of those first three positions which I will admit looks an ask in this market and keep Edi then that will be a big positive for next season. Obviously in an ideal world you get all three and maybe even a backup RB like Trippier too but no way are we signing four players in one window.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Using your argument about Moyes & Leicester, I can also say the same that Ole & Manchester United still managed to find a way to be in 2nd place despite before the season started, the expectation from all football fans /pundits/journalists believe that United won't finish in top 4 because United failed to strengthen their main XI teams while the other teams strengthened their main team.

You are all over the place right now mate. In the first paragraph you said ''I don’t necessarily expect better from the squad'' but in the last paragraph you are saying ''We have the squad to win the league now, but some players are not winners and are not doing enough''. This makes zero sense, you don't expect better from the squad but you actually expect better? Choose which one mate.

No matter how talented players are, players still need time to develop to be matured and fulfil their potential. We lost the attitude before Ole came in and Ole is building that attitude and mentality again from scratch and we have shown sign of progress in our attitude and mentality this season. I don't understand what do you expect better from Ole? You need to say it what you expect better, even Ole said himself 2nd is not good enough. But that's the point he's building and developing the squad & players so we can do better than being 3rd and 2nd.
Well that isn’t using my logic at all is it. My logic is that Moyes found himself in the top 4 and didn’t come out saying his target was top half. He said he wants to make the top 4. While we found ourselves first but refused to commit with wanting to stay there. Neither United nor West Ham were predicted to be first or 4th respectively at the beginning of the season, yet having reached there - Moyes didn’t try to run away from it.

I’m not all over the place mate, it’s the same argument. Read your initial post that I responded to. You literally said ‘I cannot expect a winning mentality from the squad’, to which I said I at least expect one from Ole. Ole is a Manchester United man who knows what the demands are of the club. So if some of the players don’t seem to get/embrace it, I at least expect him to. I wouldn’t have expected him to be saying we aren’t thinking about it. My own opinion of the squad is higher than others. Everyone acts as if Liverpool and City sign all the world’s best players and we don’t. I remember where all those players were and their standing before they joined those clubs. Not superior to the calibre of players we sign. Those players are not better than ours. They have just been programmed to believe they are and play as they are.

As I’ve said, I appreciate that players need time. I’m happy with the progress of the squad, and I’m happy with the manager. Quite simply, I was not happy with their response to going top. Players like Pogba and Bruno were quite clear in their message at the time. They didn’t skirt around it. They came out and said clearly that they want to win. I don’t think it is unreasonable to predict that despite squads needing time and all the other stuff you have said that I’m not disputing - had Moyes found himself at the top of the league - he may have come out and said that they want to win it. Of course, they probably wouldn’t, and nobody would chastise them if they didn’t, because predictions, squads take time etc. But don’t run from it.

Also, you keep saying about the time it takes etc. There is no fixed time. Carragher’s words were very specific. He didn’t say that, he said that it is a fantastic opportunity for us. You cannot just give points to other teams. You may think that you are ‘not yet at Liverpool and City’s level’ which assumes perfection from them and imperfection from us. You don’t know how far you are from them. Turns out that Liverpool fell away unexpectedly this year. Is it because it was not in our plan to be ahead of them that we should not embrace the fact that we are? City also hadn’t hit the heights at that point. Stop hiding. Perhaps we are not behind them. Maybe we will be again next season, but if here and now we are not - we shouldn’t be talking down the title. If we’re top, we’re top.

This notion of waiting for the perfect moment to compete, once we have spent hundreds of millions on all the perfect players isn’t the way for me. Just to repeat, I’m happy with the progress. But I feel that we accepted that we are not ready to win the league prematurely. Such an assumption can only be based on a perceived strength of other teams, but doesn’t consider what happens if those teams don’t meet that expected standard? Do you now adjust yours and go backwards so that you can remain behind them where you belong? If so, Leicester and West Ham should do the same this season and move aside for Chelsea and Liverpool on the basis that nobody would have expected them to qualify for the CL ahead of them.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I don’t think it’s fair or honest to say we’ve “pissed away” the title. City won about 15 games in a row mid season & went from about 9th to runaway leaders. We were never going to be able to keep pace with that.

They win trophies because of their unbelievable depth. No team in the league can compete with it. Their second string 11 would probably finish top 4. Ours would be in a relegation battle.

croadyman

I don’t think it’s fair or honest to say we’ve “pissed away” the title. City won about 15 games in a row mid season & went from about 9th to runaway leaders. We were never going to be able to keep psce with that.
Yeah very reminiscent of when they did something similar in the 17/18 season before drawing at Palace

Leftback99

Of course, if coupled with a few 1-0 wins.

A win and a loss > 2 draws, after all.
True but the same approach also won us the games we did. A higher risk approach could have drawn and lost us more. It works both ways.

He'sRaldo

True but the same approach also won us the games we did. A higher risk approach could have drawn and lost us more. It works both ways.
Your logic is sound. The problem is, the reality is that those teams were actually pretty shite and going for the win would probably have given us 3 points instead of depriving us of one.

In hindsight, no Utd fan would ever say that we shouldn't have gone for the win against the 10th (Arsenal) or 6th (Liverpool) or 9th (Chelsea with Lampard) best team in the league. Liverpool's home form after our draw is a great example.

Last edited:

croadyman

Your logic is sound. The problem is, the reality is that those teams were actually pretty shite and going for the win would probably have given us 3 points instead of depriving us of one.

In hindsight, no Utd fan would ever say that we shouldn't have gone for the win against the 10th (Arsenal) or 6th (Liverpool) or 9th (Chelsea with Lampard) best team in the league. Liverpool's home form after our draw is a great example.
Yeah we gave those teams too much respect when grossly out of form in hindsight

Leftback99

Everything is easy in hindsight. If we'd have lost those games after 'going for it' you can be sure you would have been destroying Ole on here for it as well.

He'sRaldo

Everything is easy in hindsight. If we'd have lost those games after 'going for it' you can be sure you would have been destroying Ole on here for it as well.
I do expect us to beat the 10th and 6th and 9th placed teams. Going for it should be the default, and a loss shouldn't be praised simply because we mustered up the courage to try and beat midtable teams.

With that said despite the point gain being the same, many people speak of the Everton draw more positively than the Palace draw purely because of the memorably positive approach to our game vs Everton.

Leftback99

I do expect us to beat the 10th and 6th and 9th placed teams.

Going for it should be the default, and a loss shouldn't be praised simply because we mustered up the courage to try and beat midtable teams. With that said, many people speak of the Everton draw more positively than the Crystal palace purely because of the memorable approach to our game vs Everton.
So if we're ever in a lower position mid season you will accept that we should lose all such games? Chelsea and Liverpool will most likely finish 3rd and 4th. They were decent results at the time.

He'sRaldo

So if we're ever in a lower position mid season you will accept that we should lose all such games? Chelsea and Liverpool will most likely finish 3rd and 4th. They were decent results at the time.
In such a scenario I might expect losses to higher placed teams, but I wouldn't accept them and would probably want the manager gone.

In any case, I don't see how those draws were anything but missed opportunities. The Liverpool one was especially egregious due the sheer number of lower quality teams rolling up after us to collect basically free points from Anfield.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Well that isn’t using my logic at all is it. My logic is that Moyes found himself in the top 4 and didn’t come out saying his target was top half. He said he wants to make the top 4. While we found ourselves first but refused to commit with wanting to stay there. Neither United nor West Ham were predicted to be first or 4th respectively at the beginning of the season, yet having reached there - Moyes didn’t try to run away from it.
Do you even have a clue what Moyes & Ole said?

What is this then? Mind to explain? Because that's not words of a man who refused to commit with wanting to stay there is it.

I’m not all over the place mate, it’s the same argument. Read your initial post that I responded to. You literally said ‘I cannot expect a winning mentality from the squad’, to which I said I at least expect one from Ole. Ole is a Manchester United man who knows what the demands are of the club. So if some of the players don’t seem to get/embrace it, I at least expect him to. I wouldn’t have expected him to be saying we aren’t thinking about it. My own opinion of the squad is higher than others. Everyone acts as if Liverpool and City sign all the world’s best players and we don’t. I remember where all those players were and their standing before they joined those clubs. Not superior to the calibre of players we sign. Those players are not better than ours. They have just been programmed to believe they are and play as they are.

As I’ve said, I appreciate that players need time. I’m happy with the progress of the squad, and I’m happy with the manager. Quite simply, I was not happy with their response to going top. Players like Pogba and Bruno were quite clear in their message at the time. They didn’t skirt around it. They came out and said clearly that they want to win. I don’t think it is unreasonable to predict that despite squads needing time and all the other stuff you have said that I’m not disputing - had Moyes found himself at the top of the league - he may have come out and said that they want to win it. Of course, they probably wouldn’t, and nobody would chastise them if they didn’t, because predictions, squads take time etc. But don’t run from it.

Also, you keep saying about the time it takes etc. There is no fixed time. Carragher’s words were very specific. He didn’t say that, he said that it is a fantastic opportunity for us. You cannot just give points to other teams. You may think that you are ‘not yet at Liverpool and City’s level’ which assumes perfection from them and imperfection from us. You don’t know how far you are from them. Turns out that Liverpool fell away unexpectedly this year. Is it because it was not in our plan to be ahead of them that we should not embrace the fact that we are? City also hadn’t hit the heights at that point. Stop hiding. Perhaps we are not behind them. Maybe we will be again next season, but if here and now we are not - we shouldn’t be talking down the title. If we’re top, we’re top.

This notion of waiting for the perfect moment to compete, once we have spent hundreds of millions on all the perfect players isn’t the way for me. Just to repeat, I’m happy with the progress. But I feel that we accepted that we are not ready to win the league prematurely. Such an assumption can only be based on a perceived strength of other teams, but doesn’t consider what happens if those teams don’t meet that expected standard? Do you now adjust yours and go backwards so that you can remain behind them where you belong? If so, Leicester and West Ham should do the same this season and move aside for Chelsea and Liverpool on the basis that nobody would have expected them to qualify for the CL ahead of them.
You are over the place because your first paragraph & last paragraph make no sense. Your last paragraph said players are good enough to win the league this season. If they are good enough then why in your first sentence you are not expecting players to do better to be good enough to win the league but only expecting the manager to do better?? Clearly you should be expecting equally on both players & manager if you think the player also good enough. You should be expecting the squad to be as good as the City squad because they are the standard to be called good enough to win the league this season.

You have yet tell me what do you expect better from what Ole said and his response to going top. I am still waiting for your answer of my question. Based on your post so far, it is very clear to me that you are just guessing with no clue what the manager said publicly and in the dressing room. You are just saying ''don't run from it'', ''look at Moyes''. He didn't run from it and Moyes pretty much said similar thing about his top 4 chance.

Leftback99

I might expect it, but I wouldn't accept it similar to how Chelsea didn't accept Lampard's performance.

And I don't see how those draws were anything but missed opportunities. The Liverpool one was especially egregious due the sheer amount of teams rolling up after us to collect points from Anfield.
All in hindsight. Liverpool were still favourites to win that game.

He'sRaldo

All in hindsight. Liverpool were still favourites to win that game.
Well if it makes you feel better, I'll say (in hindsight) we were too cautious vs struggling teams, which no doubt ended up costing us a fair amount of points.

That must be a lesson learned for next season.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Whether we pull it back or not, today is the actual story of our season. Not us bottling it when pressure is on or being too conservative against big teams but rather us giving away a cheap goal that leaves us having to get a result the hard way. Sometimes we manage it, sometimes we don't but we've done this to ourselves too often. I think this is the fifteenth time we've fallen behind in the PL this season?

Status
Not open for further replies.