“United don’t even fancy it” - Carragher

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Carragher on sky before dismissed United’s title challenge, said we don’t fancy ourselves & are just happy to be there. Talked about how it’s a golden opportunity to win the league & United are showing we don’t have the bottle to go for it. Basically thinks we’ve got no chance because we don’t truly believe ourselves.

It’s a fair point. I don’t think we want it the same way City & Liverpool do. I think we’re chuffed to bits to be involved & our owners are more than happy with a top 4 finish.

hobbers

He's right, the whole ethos of the club right now seems to be 'we're delighted with being comfortably in the top four'. And that's the limit of our ambition.

Cloud7

Much like I said I agree with Ole when he said we're not in it, I agree with Carragher as well that we don't fancy ourselves. The amount of silly mistakes and needless dropped points and below par performances we've seen in the last month or so, after we did all the hard work of going on that great run of form to even get in this position, you don't see that in a title winning team. We were supposed to keep going, not fall off without even a whimper.

MUFromLTU

People tend to forget this team is so young, for that reason stability isn't there and most of the players doesn't have any experience in similar title fights.

It's all part of learning curve, team will only improve in next few years and titles will come. Even being in the title fight is already overachieving, no one expected that out of this team until at least 21-22 or 22-23

Reactions: Cheimoon

El Zoido

This forum thrives on our failures, there’s nothing we love more than shitting on the team we supposedly support.

Drainy

He's right, the whole ethos of the club right now seems to be 'we're delighted with being comfortably in the top four'. And that's the limit of our ambition.
The limit of our squad, you mean?

We're a couple of good transfer windows away from having a squad as good as City's

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Carragher on sky before dismissed United’s title challenge, said we don’t fancy ourselves & are just happy to be there. Talked about how it’s a golden opportunity to win the league & United are showing we don’t have the bottle to go for it. Basically thinks we’ve got no chance because we don’t truly believe ourselves.

It’s a fair point. I don’t think we want it the same way City & Liverpool do. I think we’re chuffed to bits to be involved & our owners are more than happy with a top 4 finish.
Last season, sure, but this season they've had their share of shocking results and aren't closer to winning the title than we are.

This season is pretty much a one-team title race with City being the only contenders.

cyberman

Hes chatting shit to be honest. Look at the run City have had to go on to be 2 ppints ahead of us.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
He's just rephrasing what our manager said.

hobbers

The limit of our squad, you mean?

We're a couple of good transfer windows away from having a squad as good as City's
Not really. Fortune has left City with basically no forwards this season. And Liverpool with no centre backs.

The door was, and still is, ajar and we don't look remotely interested in trying to muscle through it..

Mike Smalling

Can't really disagree with him. The mentality against Everton second half and Sheffield United was woeful.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
He's spot on. All we need to do is say we'll win it and we will.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
This forum thrives on our failures, there’s nothing we love more than shitting on the team we supposedly support.
We are exceeding expectations this season. Nobody is thriving on our failures, but there was a big opportunity that we haven’t really capitalised on. That’s all.

Jibbs

I totally agree with it. Most united players lack the mentality to challenge for the title. We have argubly the best squad and squad depth but lacks title winning mentality.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Its not long ago, people would have been laughed at for saying we're in the race. We're not a million miles away. But our home form. Our defensive mistakes. Spell it out. Away from home, we've been very good in general but even then how many we concede first? The number of 'dumb' goals we've conceded is nuts. The defense need to LOOK and LEARN from great defenders. Stop passing responsibility. If you have to clear it, clear it and then reshape. Get back in position. It's not hard to understand why we've been poor at home. We've been perhaps too safe in the 'big games' but ultimately it's the results against Sheffield United and Everton last night that show we're not ready. I don't think we're 'bottlers in the truest sense. Last season I think Rashfords injury effectively ended our season.

This season I feels a season or two too soon. Sancho may have made a big difference but our back line needs to man up. You have 30 seconds to defend for your life. Do it. You don't? Pathetic. And it's not the first time this season. But I don't think we're bottlers. De Gea is an issue. We're scratching the surface to a degree. Against the top teams I think Ole understands we've a problem defensively.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
That's rubbish. We don't have the defence to go for it. If we did, we would be right there. Nothing to do with belief.

Zlatattack

I think Ole thinks he's keeping the pressure off by pretending to be the dark horse, but really we need him to come out and publicly tell the team when you're in this position, at Manchester United you're expected to aim for nothing less than the league title. This idea of "being up there near the top is a bonus" - it's nonsense. It should be unacceptable at our club. It might have been true September, but certainly not now. Have we over achieved based on our lowered expectations? Yes, but maybe we've got too used to low expectations.

RedorDead21

He’s rephrasing what us fans said....we called out this team when we were 15th for the flaws it had. Most of them to do with mental fragility. Same flaws still remain. We haven’t bought the players yet to address them for a start. We’re doing far better than I imagined we would this year. I dared to dream and then like a classic Rawk fan said to myself after yesterday’s game, that’s it for this season I won’t watch us again. Pathetic really as like a poster says, we need to address the weakest links in a transfer window. If this team does win the league this year it wouldn’t be because of their class let’s be honest.

Bocca9978

He’s right unfortunately. He is still a spitting cnut though.

NFM

That's rubbish. We don't have the defence to go for it. If we did, we would be right there. Nothing to do with belief.
Agreed. Looking at City right now v 'Pool, they have a GK and two CDs that are superior to United. Nothing much in it elsewhere. This where the improvement is required. This stability at the base of the team allows everyone else to play and confidence rises. No reason why this can't be sorted in the summer if there is a will to pay the money. City have done this twice to get it right.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
He is absolutely 100% unequivocally, without doubt spot on.

We aren't up for it. That's why we play the way we do against the top 6, try and see out tight wins even though we can continue our system as is, and refuse to press high.

I was itching to see us press high against Liverpool because they are there for the taking, but that Anfield game was where I concluded we are 100% not actually thinking we can go for the title. Because we aren't playing for it.

I think playing with more belief and not trying a "soak up pressure" tactic would get better results and concede less goals.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
No one gave us a prayer before the season started and are now putting the boot in when we fail to manage a challenge? Weird

Member 90887

Why do you expect people to do? Be happy we're losing shit points left and right in games we shouldn't?

Do you want us to be happy with the SU (bottom of the league) loss at home and the Everton bottle job because of dumb errors?

Our fans are definitely extremely negative, but I think that following the last few games they should be disappointed.

RUCK4444

This. Caf is full of self loathing ‘fans’ who enjoy nothing more than creating negative threads to bash the club, players and management.

It’s like listening to a group of miserable old ladies complaining about anything and everything.

The glass is permanently half empty, woe is me attitude. Makes me sick.

tjb

I'm sorry but that's nonsense. We seem to be the only team in the league who can't draw or lose games without it showing our mentality. For us, we always seem to be the only team in the league who bottle it. City can miss penalties, liverpool can lose to poor teams like Brighton, yet simple stutters and we don't fancy it. Our pundits don't do enough to support us in this regard. Like a poster earlier said, Liverpool can play City, with the game being boring, and pundits will talk about them cancelling each other out. We do the same, and for some reason, we aren't going for it.

hobbers

No one gave us a prayer before the season started and are now putting the boot in when we fail to manage a challenge? Weird
That's such a dumb argument. :lol:

It's not the start of the season. We were on top of the table at the midway point with the two main rivals suffering from bad injury problems at opposite ends of the pitch. And we instantly bottle it and Ole comes out with lines like 'we were never title challengers in the first place'. It's Moyesian.

OrcaFat

This. Caf is full of self loathing ‘fans’ who enjoy nothing more than creating negative threads to bash the club, players and management.

It’s like listening to a group of miserable old ladies complaining about anything and everything.

The glass is permanently half empty, woe is me attitude. Makes me sick.
Well said.

Status
Not open for further replies.