0.012% (or the old men yells at cloud thread)

Kag

:confused: In football terms not so young, still a young man. Fair enough if he was a 50 year old bloke dressed like that and making videos like that in Miami but age wise it’s not that weird at all. I agree he is an irritant though.
I’m 26. I can assure you that what Lingard is doing is weird. He’s a total bellend.

Again, I’m going to caveat that by saying that I’m separating my opinion of him as a footballer and a lad entirely. As some people seem to think that everybody is blinded by their dislike of him as a player. I’m not. He’s just a twat. My mates (and I) are twats in a different right... but not like Lingard. He’s about as funny as a kick in the balls.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
I’m 26. I can assure you that what Lingard is doing is weird. He’s a total bellend.

Again, I’m going to caveat that by saying that I’m separating my opinion of him as a footballer and a lad entirely. As some people seem to think that everybody is blinded by their dislike of him as a player. I’m not. He’s just a twat. My mates (and I) are twats in a different right... but not like Lingard. He’s about as funny as a kick in the balls.
You do realise that most of the stuff he does now is aimed at folk like yourself because he knows for some strange reason it twists your melon, and if I was him getting so much grief for just acting the goat occasionally, I'd do exactly the same.

Swiss_Red89

They are crazy:lol:
Still much better to do things like this than the Rooney drinking and smoking escapades during holidays for example.

ArjenIsM3

That's what it seems like. Because people like Scholes and Neville moan about social media some fans have seemingly decided that anyone who uses it is a twat.
Hardly. I think the way Pogba used it recently is positive and how person who is supposed to be a role model should conduct himself. Lingard on the other hand just uses it to show off how much of a bellend he is by bigging himself up after a shite season. There is a difference.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Lets be honest, we wouldn't give a shit if he was a decent player.

Kag

You do realise that most of the stuff he does now is aimed at folk like yourself because he knows for some strange reason it twists your melon, and if I was him getting so much grief for just acting the goat occasionally, I'd do exactly the same.
Not a chance. That’s his banter. Which is fine. Lots of lads like him go on like that on Snapchat and Instagram. Lingard attracts more attention because he happens to be a (and I’m talking wider here) very good footballer playing for Manchester United. He isn’t trying to wind anybody up. He’s just a bit of knob.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Why the feck are people criticizing Lingard and Rashy for this! People really need to understand that they are people as well, just like us. They have rights to live life and enjoy and dance and sing and do stupid stuff. It might be immature and childish but you cant expect them to be in gym during holidays. If they do, it's great but if they don't it shouldn't be a stick to beat them with.
It's like us, non- footballers. We're allowed to take holidays and do stupid stuff. What we do in our free time is our business as long as our actions don't lead to the company's image (for which we're working for) getting tarnished. If I am working on my holidays, that's great, but you don't get sacked by your firm, or punished by your firm for not working on your holidays, do you?
Additionally, they aren't drinking or smoking- stuff that most, if not all, players were involved in a decade or two earlier. As long as they turn up for pre season in acceptable physical conditions, the club, the coaching staff and least importantly the fans should have no problems.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Why the feck are people criticizing Lingard and Rashy for this! People really need to understand that they are people as well, just like us. They have rights to live life and enjoy and dance and sing and do stupid stuff. It might be immature and childish but you cant expect them to be in gym during holidays. If they do, it's great but if they don't it shouldn't be a stick to beat them with.
It's like us, non- footballers. We're allowed to take holidays and do stupid stuff. What we do in our free time is our business as long as our actions don't lead to the company's image (for which we're working for) getting tarnished. If I am working on my holidays, that's great, but you don't get sacked by your firm, or punished by your firm for not working on your holidays, do you?
Additionally, they aren't drinking or smoking- stuff that most, if not all, players were involved in a decade or two earlier. As long as they turn up for pre season in acceptable physical conditions, the club, the coaching staff and least importantly the fans should have no problems.
I don't think anyone would give a shit if Man United were winning things.

Nobody is saying Lingard can't be silly and fart about with Rashford in their private time. It's just a bit ill-advised of him to film it and then post it online in my opinion.

Dante

Average bang

Nobody is saying Lingard can't be silly and fart about with Rashford in their private time. It's just a bit ill-advised of him to film it and then post it online in my opinion.
I think that's probably true.

But I would imagine that their Social Media audience is mainly the kids who want to see it.

It's a bit rich for moany middle-aged men to complain about things that they have to click play on to see re-posted onto an internet forum that has nothing to do with the original format. They're not the target demographic nor are they the intended audience. Caftards have to go out of their way to watch something regurgitated on a secondary platform in order to whinge about it. Doesn't make sense to me.

It also doesn't make sense to complain about somebody else's sense of humour. Some people like Stewart Lee, some people like Chris Rock, some people like Harry Hill. Who gives a feck? Being puerile on camera is just what some people do. This kind of thing is all over Youtube for a start. It's what constitutes humour these days.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
I think that's probably true.

But I would imagine that their Social Media audience is mainly the kids who want to see it.

It's a bit rich for moany middle-aged men to complain about things that they have to click play on to see re-posted onto an internet forum that has nothing to do with the original format. They're not the target demographic nor are they the intended audience. Caftards have to go out of their way to watch something regurgitated on a secondary platform in order to whinge about it. Doesn't make sense to me.

It also doesn't make sense to complain about somebody else's sense of humour. Some people like Stewart Lee, some people like Chris Rock, some people like Harry Hill. Who gives a feck? Being puerile on camera is just what some people do. This kind of thing is all over Youtube for a start. It's what constitutes humour these days.
Old farts have been rolling their eyes at what kids do for ever and it will happen forever. It's the natural order of things! Lingard will be doing it himself when he is old (which is in about 4 years).

Opinions are like arseholes (in that everyone has one) but not all arseholes are equal, some are disgusting messes that should be hidden away forever. Same with opinions.

Mrs Brown's Boys is not funny and anyone who likes it is simply wrong.

Tyrion

Lets be honest, we wouldn't give a shit if he was a decent player.
Basically. People used to moan about Beckham and Ronaldo for not acting like the stereotypes 50-something pundits had of what footballers should be like. This is the same. If Lingard or Pogba had just had a good season, we wouldn't care or we'd be finding their posts funny. Instead, their every post is proof of them being a "bellend".

Sir Scott McToMinay

Paris Hilton levels of wit and intelligence, both are lucky boys they’ve had the talent and the luck to play football, otherwise they’d do well to be flipping burgers.

Reddy Rederson

Is that the narrative being pushed now? It’s all just an act? :houllier:

Dante

Average bang
Those posts aren't intended to be viewed on the Caf by a bunch of old men.

You'd might as well be complaining about their Tinder profiles being reposted here. It's a different medium, for a different audience, with a different target sensibility.

Posh Red

You'd might as well be complaining about their Tinder profiles.
I’m a similar age to Lingard. The kid is cringey as feck let’s be honest. He’s got the sense of humour of a nine year old. Doesn’t particularly bother me as I don’t use social media, but he would do my head in if I worked with him regularly.

Hawks2008

You'd might as well be complaining about their Tinder profiles being reposted here. It's a different medium, for a different audience, with a different target sensibility.
I'm of the same generation as those two, I still think it's majorly cringe so I don't think it's a generational thing. If they were teenagers I'd get it but these are grown men, especially Lingard.

Sir Scott McToMinay

They are crazy:lol:
Still much better to do things like this than the Rooney drinking and smoking escapades during holidays for example.
I’d rather they dropped acid and played half as good as Rooney for a start.

There’s literally no sensibility in repeating “beans” like a 10 year old on ritalin and posting this waste of digital space online.

Giggs' right foot

He managed to say beans 21 times. Just 8 short of the total amount of goals he's scored in his time here.
Always backed him (I have a tendency to do that with most academy players), but haven't they got any shame? If i were a part of one of the worst seasons for the past 30 years in my boyhood team, I'd like to, at least make it seem like, it was killing me.

Can't even excuse my feelings with the age-thing 'cause I'm only 25, and younger than Jesse. Just don't get this way of being unaffected by the clubs performances which most our players seems to be.

Sterling Archer

I’d rather they dropped acid and played half as good as Rooney for a start.

There’s literally no sensibility in repeating “beans” like a 10 year old on ritalin and posting this waste of digital space online.
It's part of the digital age. It's stupid. But that's the way it is. But it is telling that the tomfoolery on display is on the level of clowns that dropped out of school and then went on to not even be able to hold a blue collar job because they lacked the standard discipline and humbleness to work for a living.

Dammit. Where's that cloud for me to tell at.

Snafu17

Spot on. I don't get the logic behind it really. You know you're going to get the backlash so why do it? What's the point? Just be a bit more self aware.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

Even then, it makes 0 sense to criticize a couple of young people in the prime of their lives for enjoying their life! Its tough to find people who remain happy, if they can find happiness in this, why create a noise for this.

Irrational.

Follow up:

It's so pathetic you have to laugh :lol::lol:

I'll say it again. Lingard is not a young man. He's not a boy just emerging into this world of millions and fame. He's a 26 year old man. A fully fledged adult.

He's a complete imbecile and while many may argue that what guys do off pitch has no bearing on the results, the issue is that the results should have a bearing on whats done off pitch or at least how it's presented.

If he doesn't get that this stuff just alienates an already frustrated or livid fan base who thinks most aren't fit to be at the club, he needs somebody to pull him aside and have a word.
Precisely.

He's only a year younger than Salah, Mane, Neymar, KdB and VVD. Look at how the above players represent themselves on and off the pitch (maybe ignoring Neymar), and then look at Lingard. One group have something to shout about, and display match winning and leadership qualities, and the other makes a video beatboxing the word 'Beans' repeatedly.

This is exactly what is wrong with our club at present. Infuriating.

manutddjw

What he does on social media is his business. They’re human beings and I don’t expect him to train and go home and do nothing. I don’t find it funny and definitely not someone I’d hang out with, but he’s free to act as he wishes as long as he’s not hurting anyone else.

Having said that I do not like Lingard at all. My problem with him was and always will be that he’s not good enough.

Fridge chutney

Not a chance. That’s his banter. Which is fine. Lots of lads like him go on like that on Snapchat and Instagram. Lingard attracts more attention because he happens to be a (and I’m talking wider here) very good footballer playing for Manchester United. He isn’t trying to wind anybody up. He’s just a bit of knob.
This is a completely fair comment.

Taking it further, like declaring hatred for a player and worse because of their innocuous social media account, is what I take issue with.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Even then, it makes 0 sense to criticize a couple of young people in the prime of their lives for enjoying their life! Its tough to find people who remain happy, if they can find happiness in this, why create a noise for this.
Yeah - you're right.

I can't relate to the sort of crap they get up to - but that isn't Jlingz' fault. Or Beanz'.

As was said above, they aren't communicating with the likes of me. The argument seems to be that their SM antics indicate an unprofessional mindset - or at least that said antics are ill advised given United's shite season. It's not reasonable, though, is it? The two aren't linked for them - only for certain fans, the majority of whom are probably twice their age (not that impressive in Jlingz' case, granted, since he's 12).

Expecting players to be miserable all summer because the season wasn't much to write home about is absurd.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Expecting players to be miserable all summer because the season wasn't much to write home about is absurd.
Is anyone expecting that? Really?

McTom has a big smile plastered across his face in his latest tweet, I dont see anyone criticising him for it.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Is anyone expecting that? Really?
Whether they genuinely expect it is not for me to say, but yes - people do criticize Lingard specifically for posting stupid videos on social media after having had a stinker of a season. There are several posts in this very thread expressing that view.

He's taking the piss out of honest fans with his immature nonsense, etc.

I maintain that this is unreasonable. McTominay goes to boot camp, Lingz n' Beanz makes puerile videos - I know what I personally have the greater respect for, but that's beside the point. They're not on the job, how they get their kicks isn't any of my business at the end of the day.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Whether they genuinely expect it is not for me to say, but yes - people do criticize Lingard specifically for posting stupid videos on social media after having had a stinker of a season. There are several posts in this very thread expressing that view.

He's taking the piss out of honest fans with his immature nonsense, etc.

I maintain that this is unreasonable. McTominay goes to boot camp, Lingz n' Beanz makes puerile videos - I know what I personally have the greater respect for, but that's beside the point. They're not on the job, how they get their kicks isn't any of my business at the end of the day.
Yeah but, thats not people expecting them to be miserable, its people critising them for coming across as bellends.

If they were successful then people would tolerate them being bellends, because they're not (but acting as if they are) I think it naturally leads people to ask whether being bellends might be part of the reason why they're not successful.