0.012% (or the old men yells at cloud thread)

siw2007

Don’t really see what is so wrong with the post and why so many people are getting their knickers in a twist about it.

0.012% is the percentage of young footballers who come through the academy system to have a career in the game. The thought of them posting the statistic as a kind of brag is absolutely ridiculous.

Stadjer

Are you all upset because they post something factual? They are starters in the Premier League, they've made it.
They came through the Manchester United academy and made the first team. I would say that winning the league atleast once is 'making it'.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Wait, so it's ridiculous to criticise them for anything other than their footballing skill, and it's also ridiculous to criticise them for their footballing skill? So they are just immune to any criticism at all then?
You can criticize them for not being good enough, sure, though I dont personally see what that accomplishes. We all know Lingard is squad player level at most, yet people get so fecking incensed at everything he does. Dont take their ability not being good enough as a sign that their work rate or attitude isnt good enough though.

And absolutely it is ridiculous to criticize anything off the pitch so long as it doesnt influence anything on the pitch. If they're doing something negative off the pitch that is actually distracting, sure. What is lingard doing? Wears fancy clothes and listens to music? Dances? How dare he.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
This. What a pair of tits.
Nah the real 'tits' who are actually pathetic enough to go on their IG photos/page and continuously abuse them on each of their posts.

SirAF

Ageist
Nah the real 'tits' who are actually pathetic enough to go on their IG photos/page and continuously abuse them on each of their posts.
They kind of are, but your point is also correct. That’s not on.

KM

There we go.. around 2 minutes. Also i actually do have a minor psychology but that isnt very relevant.
It doesn't actually prove anything. You analysed his whole personality by a three second answer. Well done.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Don’t really see what is so wrong with the post and why so many people are getting their knickers in a twist about it.

0.012% is the percentage of young footballers who come through the academy system to have a career in the game. The thought of them posting the statistic as a kind of brag is absolutely ridiculous.
It's likely to be a response to the type of road rage idiot who uses the relative anonymity of social media to spit out gleeful abuse disguised as justified anger.

Parklife.

fergosaurus

Neville was right in saying this team is unlikeable. Can't wait until some of them are shipped out.

KM

It's likely to be a response to the type of road rage idiot who uses the relative anonymity of social media to spit out gleeful abuse disguised as justified anger.

Parklife.
That's exactly what this is. This thread is also a prime example of it btw.

Bojan11

This. People who gave them stick for whatever they do off the pitch, how they dress and anything that isn't related to how they actually play should be fecking ashamed. Even on the pitch, they're 2 of our hardest working players. Rashford turned 21 this season while Lingard we all know is only squad player level. What's the point in giving him so much grief? People try to equate not being a world class player with just not caring or working hard enough which is the biggest load of shite ever.
Lingard isn’t squad level though.

He has less assists in his career than the Liverpool right back has in one season. Sterling this season scored more league goals than Lingard has in his career.

Works hard is just rubbish. I’m sure Jones, Young and Smalling work hard. Are they good enough? No wonder we got a lot of average players because fans are just happy with working hard. The fact is Lingard shouldn’t be at the club and Rashford needs to buck up his ideas.

Tom Cleverley and Welbeck worked hard too. Look where they are. One wasn’t good enough for Everton and can’t make the Watford team yet he had a lot of people when he was here defending him. Welbeck did nothing at Arsenal and he’d be on the bench for some team in lower part of the table.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
I understand the criticism of performances but the replies to either of their posts on social media nowadays are pure toxic. These are our players and academy graduates, go support another club if they disgust you to the point you feel the need to abuse them every chance you get.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I understand the criticism of performances but the replies to either of their posts on social media nowadays are pure toxic. These are our players and academy graduates, go support another club if they disgust you to the point you feel the need to abuse them every chance you get.
Exactly.

shaky

You can criticize them for not being good enough, sure, though I dont personally see what that accomplishes. We all know Lingard is squad player level at most, yet people get so fecking incensed at everything he does. Dont take their ability not being good enough as a sign that their work rate or attitude isnt good enough though.

And absolutely it is ridiculous to criticize anything off the pitch so long as it doesnt influence anything on the pitch. If they're doing something negative off the pitch that is actually distracting, sure. What is lingard doing? Wears fancy clothes and listens to music? Dances? How dare he.
Fair enough if he was shopping at Next or something, but if he's literally wearing his own branded range of clothing, I don't think he can expect people to not voice opinions about it.

KM

Fair enough if he was shopping at Next or something, but if he's literally wearing his own branded range of clothing, I don't think he can expect people to not voice opinions about it.
"I don't think he can expect people to not voice opinions about it." is just a nicer way to say that he deserves all the abuse that he's getting. Well done.

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
I would like to know what they meant by the post 0.012% post?

If it is that "we made it, why is everyone giving us a hard time?!"

If it is that, they've got big problems. Like Warren Joyce said about a lot of the young lads, they get to the first team and think the hard work is done. The hard work is just beginning if they want to get to the top and get this club to the top. Worry about the mentality.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Exactly.

Mourinhonista

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Highlighted the stuff in your post about Lingard that have absolutely nothing to do with football itself. Nothing to do with training or playing (you know, the thing that any of us should actually care about?).
I also said that he's done almost nothing important in the game. Is it outdated thinking that if you've been very poor in your job you don't dress extravagantly at public events where you represent your employer? It comes across as some sort of a bad joke, IMO. Then him spending so much time on social media, why not tone down a bit and work on improving your skill level which btw isn't up to the standard. It adds nothing but laughter from oppo fans.

KM

This.

They've posted this due to the abuse they've been getting and not because they've felt as if they've made it. Seriously any sane person should be horrified by the amount of abuse they get on social media.

Kearnkoff69

Thank you. Glad to know I'm not crazy in feeling incredibly disappointed with the tone surrounding these guys, and the abuse they've gotten about stuff not at all related to footballing matters.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Thank you. Glad to know I'm not crazy in feeling incredibly disappointed with the tone surrounding these guys, and the abuse they've gotten about stuff not at all related to footballing matters.

What the feck Kearnkoff69? Way to throw me under the bus you absolute tosser.

Skills

Snitch
This.

They've posted this due to the abuse they've been getting and not because they've felt as if they've made it. Seriously any sane person should be horrified by the amount of abuse they get on social media.
Our fans are hilarious.

Why don't players dream of playing for us - while they simultaneously sit and abuse the players we already have at the club.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
From now on, I demand that actual clowns dress in sober funereal garb if they do a crap job at the circus...or I shall abuse them on MyspaceFace or whatever it's called.

ryansgirl

The slag jobs directed against Jesse and Marcus are out-of-hand. They feel pride putting on the shirt and they are supporters who play for Manchester United. Targeting them when this whole squad has been rudderless and under-achieving because of a number of circumstances including instability at management level is just petty as well as nasty.

Yes they haven't developed as we'd like. Not because they have off-pitch interests and spend too much time on social media like just about every young person these days. They haven't had a strong backbone in the team to assist them, be role models, pull them aside and encourage them when needed or tell them to lift their game when needed.

Give Jesse and Marcus a breather and stop slagging them off. Their performances haven't been the train wreck some drama queens are asserting. They still have the ability and the work ethic.

With a decent manager since Sir Alex they would be in a different place. Yes I know it's up to them to take responsibility but there are other factors in the squad and club structure and until those are addressed, some young players will under-achieve. This is one of the areas in which I think Ole will show his worth.

KM

Our fans are hilarious.

Why don't players dream of playing for us - while they simultaneously sit and abuse the players we already have at the club.
We kept on making fun of the Liverpool fan base but they have always supported and team and the players in their rough years. Our fans are the opposite.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Its a cheek to call the thread 'old man shouts at clouds' thread. It's missing the point. Those posts signify that they really think that they have already made it. Now we have proof. And it's not the first time too, Lingard has got previous for this sort of behavior. Where is the dignity after the season we have just had? The guy's got 10 career PL assists coming 27. It's embarrassing.

The wider impact though is, that post symbolises the whole club at the minute. Bunch of losers clinging on to their money and fame to make up for their lack of ability. Isn't that what Manchester United has become? Only interested in raking in the money and sponsorships whilst we struggle to even be relevant year on year.

You can all bury your heads in the sand but it seems like there's a recurring theme here.

Last edited:

predator

Youth NITK
I respect the posters sticking up for our players but ridiculing critics as bitter old men is immature. I reckon generally we all just want decent players at the club, who actually make you happy when watching them regardless of whether they're locals lads, fashion icons, hardnosed bastards. Would anyone be slating Ronaldo for his fashion antics if he was still here banging in 40 goals a season? - would they feck, unless they have signed up to the wrong forum.

There probably is a handful of followers who are that fixated with players social lives it dictates their overall view on them as footballer, but I hope there isn't too many.

I'd personally love Lingard to have a good pre season, train well, head down, focus on football and come out from game 1 next season and play out of his skin and silence so many critics.

I'm 24, does the paragraph above mean I'm a bitter old man?

hungrywing

Good catch?

They’re talking about Lingard’s hair FFS!
Are they? I put on captions to try and hear better. Now that you mention it the context does seem to be talking about hair.

Point stands about Lingard's off-field activities seeming to be the product of consultants/marketers, etc.

Stadjer

It doesn't actually prove anything. You analysed his whole personality by a three second answer. Well done.
It does prove that i didnt make everything up like someone was claiming. Rashford literally said it himself. Young Pogba was just like the older Pogba in his behaviour while Jesse Lingard was, atleast to me, not very noticeable until he came Jlingz. I dont follow him on IG, twitter, facebook or any other social media yet now i do notice him.

Young literally said about the transformation 'one day he just done it'. That could just have been a brand strategy... i obviously cant prove it but i do know that (atleast to me) Lingard went from not being very noticeable to becoming noticeable.

His on field performances didnt make that change unfortunately.

Last edited:

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
It really is quite hilarious, he has done nothing to warrant such a high opinion of himself and unfortunately now this seems to be spreading to Rashford which is a concern.

He's 27 and lumping himself in with 'young players'. Grow up mate.
I was just about to post this! He's not part of the "new generation" - 1992 born is old generation in football because we're starting to see 2002 born players come through.

I was born in 1990 and consider myself way past that of current 17/18 year olds and rightly so, a 26, soon to be 27 year old man trying to come across as a youngster is seriously embarrassing.

Someone needs to have a chat with him and show him his birth certificate and tell him to start acting like a player who should be at his peak.