1 mega signing, 1 big-ish signing, 1 prospect

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Some bargains to be had this summer. A few of the notable ones who'll have a year or less on their deal:

E. Hazard, Eriksen, Rashford, Fekir, De Gea, Timo Werner, Willian, Cavani, T. Hazard, Gundogan, Alderweireld, Ryan Sessegnon, Rabiot, Thomas Meunier, Matic, Bailly, Dries Mertens, Vertonghen, Matuidi, Ander Herrera, El Shaarawy, Hudson-Odoi, Cuadrado, Pedro, Diego Godin, David Luiz, Juan Mata, David Silva, Mandzukic, Modric, Dzeko, Raphael Guerreiro, Joel Matip, Callejon, Ever Banega, Mario Gotze, Kurzawa, Zinchenko, Rafinha, Giroud, Danny Welbeck, Fabian Delph, Sturridge, Lallana, Fernandinho, James Milner, Dzagoev, Keylor Navas.
Oh brilliant, let's have Matip, Welbeck and Delph. Whoop!

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Some bargains to be had this summer. A few of the notable ones who'll have a year or less on their deal:

E. Hazard, Eriksen, Rashford, Fekir, De Gea, Timo Werner, Willian, Cavani, T. Hazard, Gundogan, Alderweireld, Ryan Sessegnon, Rabiot, Thomas Meunier, Matic, Bailly, Dries Mertens, Vertonghen, Matuidi, Ander Herrera, El Shaarawy, Hudson-Odoi, Cuadrado, Pedro, Diego Godin, David Luiz, Juan Mata, David Silva, Mandzukic, Modric, Dzeko, Raphael Guerreiro, Joel Matip, Callejon, Ever Banega, Mario Gotze, Kurzawa, Zinchenko, Rafinha, Giroud, Danny Welbeck, Fabian Delph, Sturridge, Lallana, Fernandinho, James Milner, Dzagoev, Keylor Navas.
Available in the market? probably yes. Bargains? Not a chance.

croadyman

i can see the summer panning out like this

Alderwerield 20m
Rabiot Free
Sancho 75m + add ons

This would be an excellent yet inexpensive window imo. And if opportunities present themselves and doors open for possible moves for De Ligt and Neves, i fully expect us to go in aggressively for them as we would hardly break the bank signing those 3 above.

Outs will be interesting.
Valencia seems done now. Rojo should be gone. Be lucky to get 10m for him. Jones will hopefully be shipped out for something similar to what we paid for him. Talk of Sanchez off to Juve is welcomed, 20m perhaps? And i actually think Darmian might stay, he is on super low wages and hasn't complained so i doubt we will be looking to force him out of the door, it will be down to him and his ambition i suppose.
This is quite a realistic possibility,I take it you think Dalot will get chance to make RB spot his own then

croadyman

A perfect transfer window for me would include
100 mill: Sancho
75 mill: De Ligt
10 mill: Rabiot

This would cover the main areas of concern in our starting 11, bringing in young players that are good enough from day 1 but still has room to improve. I think all three players would be attainable for these prices, and I am confident that all of them would choose to join United if given the option. We have tried to bring in experienced players like Schweinsteiger, Di Maria, Alexis Sanchez, Falcao and Mkhitaryan in recent years, and neither have had the hunger or desire to succeed. Even Matic has shown that he isn't a player that will take us to the next level. That leaves Zlatan as the only well-established player that has delivered for us, and he has a mentality that is out of this world. I would rather see hungry and upcoming players like De Ligt and Sancho, while Rabiot has a lot to prove after his recent problems in PSG.
Would you look at Meunier for some experience at RB or not?

Wallez

@croadyman Meunier would be a good shout, as Dalot has shown that he needs time to develop into a proper RB at the top level. I think Meunier is slightly overrated by most common football supporters, but he is certainly a better RB than Young, Darmian and Valencia. In addition, he has only one year left of his PSG contract, and should be attainable for a fairly low fee. Meunier would probably be our first choice RB until Dalot has developed, while Young is a solid backup at both RB and LB. This would also allow us to get rid of Rojo, Darmian and Valencia, and still have double coverage on both sides.

Another possibility is to bring back Rafael at RB, who is available on a free transfer this summer. I would love to see him fill the age gap between Young and Dalot.

Available in the market? probably yes. Bargains? Not a chance.
This depends on how you look at it. You could argue that buying football players for 10 mill will always be a total waste of money that is better used elsewhere. However, players like Hazard and Eriksen would probably cost around 200 mill if they had long contracts, but with expiring contracts they may be available for 100 mill. Seen this way, you could argue that they are bargains. Alderweireld is another example, as the media speculations was around 70-80 mill when we wanted him last summer, but his contract situation means that he is available for 25 mill.

Last edited:

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

100m - Varane. We need an imposing rock at the back. He's a safer (albeit more expensive) option than De Ligt, as we know he won't require any time to go through the "bedding in" period. He's got a wealth of experience even at the age of 25. There is speculation (only paper talk of course) that he wants a fresh challenge in his career. If he's available, pay whatever it takes to get him. I can see him having he same impact as Van Dijk.

75m - Sancho. For all the reasons already mentioned. Reckon he won't cost as much as some people on here think though, just because of our previous dealings with Dortmund.

25m - Wan Bissaka or Sessegnon. RB is arguably a higher priority than LB but you'd imagine Sessegnon would be the much cheaper option. He'd provide some healthy competition with Shaw at LB and can also cover on LW if required.

Free - Rabiot. We do need to strengthen our midfield but it's not as high of a priority as CB or RW in my opinion.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
I mean Nicolas Pepe, the rightwinger playing for Lille. At 23 he is ready for a move to a bigger club. 17 goals and 8 apples in 32 games this season.
8 apples in 32 games that's got to be some sort of record, I love the stats we get these days!

ravi2

100m - Varane. We need an imposing rock at the back. He's a safer (albeit more expensive) option than De Ligt, as we know he won't require any time to go through the "bedding in" period. He's got a wealth of experience even at the age of 25. There is speculation (only paper talk of course) that he wants a fresh challenge in his career. If he's available, pay whatever it takes to get him. I can see him having he same impact as Van Dijk.

75m - Sancho. For all the reasons already mentioned. Reckon he won't cost as much as some people on here think though, just because of our previous dealings with Dortmund.

25m - Wan Bissaka or Sessegnon. RB is arguably a higher priority than LB but you'd imagine Sessegnon would be the much cheaper option. He'd provide some healthy competition with Shaw at LB and can also cover on LW if required.

Free - Rabiot. We do need to strengthen our midfield but it's not as high of a priority as CB or RW in my opinion.

Why would varane want to leave Madrid now that zidane is there?
All the French players seem to rave about him

croadyman

That would be class window but just no chance of Real letting Varane leave

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Why would varane want to leave Madrid now that zidane is there?
All the French players seem to rave about him
Time for a new contract and pay raise. He is just doing what Ramos did before.

An Irish Red

If it was up to me, and if it was possible, then I'd look to bring in Griezmann (100m), Sancho (80m), Alderweireld (25m), Rafael (free) and Rabiot (free).

De Gea
Rafael Alderweireld Lindelof Shaw
Rabiot Herrera Pogba
Sancho Griezmann Martial​

Would be an incredible improvement and, after not spending much last summer, and with bringing in a couple of freebies, and with perhaps even selling Lukaku, we could definitely afford it.

Thomas Hunter

Sancho
Ndombele
Alderweireld
-> this seems realistic

Another option I like

Brandt
Parejo
Jordi Alba

I dont think we actually need a CB.

ravi2

Sancho
Ndombele
Alderweireld
-> this seems realistic

Another option I like

Brandt
Parejo
Jordi Alba

I dont think we actually need a CB.
A CB and RW are our 2 most pressing needs right now and why on earth would Barca ever consider selling Jordi alba?

Thomas Hunter

A CB and RW are our 2 most pressing needs right now and why on earth would Barca ever consider selling Jordi alba?
Im just trippin on Jordi Alba and Parejo.

Even if we sell Jones or Rojo we will have Tuanzebe back. Thats why I dont think we dont need another CB. Honestly to me the big problem is midfield. Our midfield is average. Neither Matic or Herrera would be a starter in other top european teams. We often have difficulties to link up defense and offense, except when Pogba make some magical pass. So I think we need another top midfielder or at least a young one with big potential.

croadyman

Im just trippin on Jordi Alba and Parejo.

Even if we sell Jones or Rojo we will have Tuanzebe back. Thats why I dont think we dont need another CB. Honestly to me the big problem is midfield. Our midfield is average. Neither Matic or Herrera would be a starter in other top european teams. We often have difficulties to link up defense and offense, except when Pogba make some magical pass. So I think we need another top midfielder or at least a young one with big potential.
Midfield definitely needs sorting out with ideally a quality DM and a creative CM. This is more of a pressing issue than RB

SiRed

This is quite a realistic possibility,I take it you think Dalot will get chance to make RB spot his own then
I think so. Unsure about his defensive capabilities thus far but he can certainly attack.
i just think RB needs attention after we sort out RW CB and CM

laughtersassassin

If it was up to me, and if it was possible, then I'd look to bring in Griezmann (100m), Sancho (80m), Alderweireld (25m), Rafael (free) and Rabiot (free).

De Gea
Rafael Alderweireld Lindelof Shaw
Rabiot Herrera Pogba
Sancho Griezmann Martial​

Would be an incredible improvement and, after not spending much last summer, and with bringing in a couple of freebies, and with perhaps even selling Lukaku, we could definitely afford it.

I like this.

MrBest

Go all out and spend 300m! We under invested last year so this year we need 3 big signings. Kante 100m if possible, sancho 100m and di lgit 100m ( assume thats his value). Right wing is absolute priority though. Lingard is not good enough.

croadyman

Go all out and spend 300m! We under invested last year so this year we need 3 big signings. Kante 100m if possible, sancho 100m and di lgit 100m ( assume thats his value). Right wing is absolute priority though. Lingard is not good enough.
How I wish we would go out and spend that kind of money

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
OP are spot on. This transfer strategy is the best we can have. I’ll go;
  • Mega ~ CB Koulibaly around £100m
  • Big-ish ~ Midfield Bruno Fernandes £50m-£60m
  • Prospect ~ Winger Daniel James £15m
I won’t be surprised we will end with this. Sign these three, keep Pogba, no more Matic in XI, Tuanzebe & Greenwood play big part in first team squad instead of deadwood like Jones & Lingard. I’m happy, at least the club shows some progress in moving forward.

Sterling Archer

Longstaff
Wan Bissaka
Felix

Skinny Lukaku/Martial - - Rashford
---------------- Felix
Pogba ----------
-------- Fred --- Longstaff
Shaw - Lindelof - Rojo :( - AWB
------- DDG

Basically, improvr our defense and add an exceptional upgraded version of what Lingards role would be in the team

I also maintain that a not fat, trimmer Lukaku would be 10x the player he has been for us.

Edit:
Felix price means I switch him with Light. Add that Newcastle kid

PaulRich

100m CB - ideally De Ligt. Having two top class defenders will make a world of difference to the midfield too.

50m forward - we need someone with goals and the movement to fit seamlessly in the team.

20m prospect - midfielder to replace Matic in a year or two.
Jesus - How about in a month or two??

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
James
Maguire
Sancho

Although I don't think we will have a mega signing.

Fer

100m - Sancho or Felix
50m - N'Dombele or Fernandes
20m - Alderweireld or Meunier

Makaveli1

De Ligt, Wanbassacka, James. Obviously we need a good 2 after that.

Fer

What we need is at least 2 players for each category:

De Ligt and Sancho

Fernandes and Neves

Meunier and James

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
We've been linked with about 30 players since the season ended and we only bought a 16 year old from Holland.

Ed keeps playing with our supporters and players are mentioned in droves but we don't manage to conclude anything with anyone.

This club has really been mismanaged for 6 years and maybe also a couple of years before that.

ubergorp

We've been linked with about 30 players since the season ended and we only bought a 16 year old from Holland.

Ed keeps playing with our supporters and players are mentioned in droves but we don't manage to conclude anything with anyone.

This club has really been mismanaged for 6 years and maybe also a couple of years before that.
Do you genuinely believe that Ed Woodward is purposefully not signing players just to mess with fans? United are one of if not the biggest team in the world. Of course newspapers are going to link us to everyone and anyone! Transfer deals take a long time, too. It's not FIFA where you press 4 buttons and it's done.

Bestietom

I think we can forget about Sancho coming here.

James can play either side so I think that's the winger we will get.---- 15 million

CB-. forget Koulibaly,and Maguire. I would like Milenkovic or Dias----- 45 million

RB- Wan Bissaka too dear, so Meunier will most likely be the one---- 25 million

Midfield.- 2/3 depending on Pogba moving, 3 midfielders probably--- 180 million

We will also need a top striker when Lukaku moves on----------------- 75 million

--------------------------------------------------------------------------Total 340 Million

Lukaku sale------------- 60 Million

Pogba sale--------------130 million

De Gea sale------------ 60 million

Bailly and Rojo--------- 35 million

Matic sale-------------- 10 million

--------------------Total 295 million

Don't really know what we would pick up for others, or if we could get more for Pogba or pay less for Midfielders we bring in, but it would start the rebuild without a hefty cost.

Fosu-Mens

Do you genuinely believe that Ed Woodward is purposefully not signing players just to mess with fans? United are one of if not the biggest team in the world. Of course newspapers are going to link us to everyone and anyone! Transfer deals take a long time, too. It's not FIFA where you press 4 buttons and it's done.
Some clubs seem to be able to make the transfers happen some time in advance. Personally, I think it is a mixture of incompetence, lack of planning and wanting to spread the transfers out during the window to gain maximum media coverage. If we had all before preseason started, then the media would write less about us...