10 below average (or worse) players in the squad. When do we start selling them?

Alemar

One of the main problems with the squad is a huge amount of average or worse players. It may be Ok for a club which plans to fight relegation, but for Man Utd hoarding such players shall not be the way to go. Let's look at the squad by position.

GK:
1) de Gea (World Class)
2) Romero (Good)
3) Joel Pereira (absolute shite)
4) Henderson (average, good potential, but not at all needed in a team with de Gea on a 6 year deal)
5) Lee Grant (absolute shite)

What to do: sell Joel Pereira, try to extend Henderson in order to preserve his market value

RB:
1) AWB (very good, with potential to be WC)
2) Dalot (average, with more potential to excel as a winger)
3) Young (below average as back up, shall be the last season for him)
4) Darmian (absolute shite)

What to do: sell Darmian

LB:
1) Shaw (good, with potential to be very good)
2) Young
3) Dalot

What to do: nothing

CB:
1) Lindelof (good, with potential to be very good at least)
2) Smalling (average)
3) Jones (below average)
4) Bailly (below average)
5) Marcos Rojo (absolute shite)
6) Tuanzebe (real quality yet unknown)
3) Fosu Mensah (long term injury, below average ability with limited upside)

What to do: buy a very good defender (Maguire?), sell any two of three worst players (Jones, Bailly, Rojo) for any fee or alternatively sell Smalling for a relatively large fee and also sell one of the above mentioned trio.

CDM:
1) Matic (below average, declining with time)
2) McTominay (average, with potential to become very good)
3) Garner (quality unknown, but without experience he can't be relied upon in this role)

What to do: buy a very good DM (we haven't been linked with anyone), test Garner in a few matches, pray for McTominay not to feck up...

CM:
1) Pogba (World class, can also play different positions across midfield, undisputable starter)
2) Fred (average, with potential to become good)
3) Pereira (below average, potential to become average)

What to do: sell Pereira as he is the worst of the lot, buy a very good player with ability to create goals and handle pressure to become less reliant on Pogba

CAM:
1) Lingard (average, no potential to improve as he lacks end product)
2) Mata (below average, in decline)
3) Gomes (quality unknown, potential to become very good or even better)
4) Alexis (may be used in this position, below average, potential to become very good if he finds his form)

What to do: play Gomes and hope he delivers, sell Mata, buy a very good CAM

RW/RF:
1) none
2) Mason Greenwood (already looks good, potential to become WC, may also play as #9)
3) none
4) Tahith Chong (quality yet unknown, potential to become good or better, but looks better on the left)

What to do: perhaps finally buy someone for this role?

LW/LF:
1) Martial (good, potential to be World class but lacks dedication, may also play as #9)
2) James (quality still unknown, potential unknown)
3) Tahith Chong (quality still unknown, potential to become good)
4) Alexis (absolute shite, looks finished)

What to do: offload Alexis to China

Striker/CF:
1) Rashford (good, potential to be very good but unlikely better)
2) Lukaku (average, no potential to improve under OGS' tactics)

What to do: sell Lukaku. Use Greenwood and Alexis as back up for Rashford.

Conclusion:
World class players - 2 (de Gea, Pogba)
Very good players - 1 (AWB)
Good players - 6 (Lindelof, Shaw, Rashford, Martial, Greenwood, Romero)
Average players - 5 (Smalling, McTominay, Fred, Lingard, Lukaku, Henderson)
Below average players - 5 (Young, Jones, Bailly, Matic, Pereira)
Absolute shite - 5 (Joel Pereira, Lee Grant, Darmian, Marcos Rojo, Alexis)
Quality still unknown - 5 (Tuanzebe, Gomes, Garner, Chong, James)

Only 9 above average players, including back-up goalkeeper and a 17-year old youngster. 10 below average or worse players (and 16 average or worse players). The amount of deadwood / players who are not good enough is somewhat concerning. When do we plan to start disposing off them?

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Can you define average? As in average for a top 6 team? Or average for a PL team overall?

I don't understand how you can call Greenwood "good" and Lukaku "average"

Lukaku has over 200 career goals and Greenwood is a kid.

How can Henderson be "average" but Matic be below average? Matic is a two time Premier League winner and has played in World Cups, Henderson has one season of second division football under his belt.

I'm sorry but your ratings don't make any sense.

Last edited:

red4ever 79

Bit of a car crash post, but I guess the jist of it. Who are the players that need selling:

Rojo, Darmian, Jones, Young, Matic, Lingard, Lukaku and Sanchez

Did I answer your question

Pughnichi

Good interpretation. We do cling on to players and plenty should be moved on. Perhaps more sensible when we know how Greenwood, Gomes, Chong, Garner and Tuanzebe take to 1st team football.

Can’t argue with how you’ve rated them though. Darmian, Jones, Rojo for me should be first out. Closely followed by Matic. Whilst I’m not a huge Mata fan I can see why Jean being kept. Good experience and a sensible head

Pughnichi

Can you define average? As in average for a top 6 team? Or average for a PL team overall?

How can Henderson be "average" but Matic be below average?

I think his point is that Henderson is being touted to have an excellent career. Whilst Matic is widely regarded to be a weak link...considering he’s 1st team material

And that Greenwood looks a fabulous prospect whilst despite his career goals, Lukaku has looked somewhat of a donkey these last 12 months

Copa Mundial

Whether you agree with @Alemar's ratings or not, it's very concerning to note just how many mediocre players we have, that are either just not good enough or well past their prime.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I think his point is that Henderson is being touted to have an excellent career. Whilst Matic is widely regarded to be a weak link...considering he’s 1st team material

And that Greenwood looks a fabulous prospect whilst despite his career goals, Lukaku has looked somewhat of a donkey these last 12 months
They are both prospects though. Who knows how good they will become. Lukaku and Matic are Premier League proven players. I can't see how we can classify two unproven youngsters as being in a higher echelon right now than 2 players who have been starting in the Premier League for years. Greenwood only has 4 first team appearances in professional football and Henderson has never played in the top flight.

I'm excited about Greenwood, and I'm not a big fan of either Rom or Matic either, but be realistic.

RedTiger

Half mast
One of the main problems with the squad is a huge amount of average or worse players. It may be Ok for a club which plans to fight relegation, but for Man Utd hoarding such players shall not be the way to go. Let's look at the squad by position.

GK:
1) de Gea (World Class)
2) Romero (Good)
4) Henderson (average, good potential, but not at all needed in a team with de Gea on a 6 year deal)

What to do: sell Joel Pereira, try to extend Henderson in order to preserve his market value

RB:

LB:
2) Young
3) Dalot

CB:
2) Smalling (average)
3) Jones (below average)

What to do: buy a very good defender (Maguire?), sell any two of three worst players (Jones, Bailly, Rojo) for any fee or alternatively sell Smalling for a relatively large fee and also sell one of the above mentioned trio.

CDM:
3) Garner (quality unknown, but without experience he can't be relied upon in this role)

What to do: buy a very good DM (we haven't been linked with anyone), test Garner in a few matches, pray for McTominay not to feck up...

CM:
1) Pogba (World class, can also play different positions across midfield, undisputable starter)

What to do: sell Pereira as he is the worst of the lot, buy a very good player with ability to create goals and handle pressure to become less reliant on Pogba

CAM:
4) Alexis (may be used in this position, below average, potential to become very good if he finds his form)

RW/RF:
1) none
2) Mason Greenwood (already looks good, potential to become WC, may also play as #9)
3) none
4) Tahith Chong (quality yet unknown, potential to become good or better, but looks better on the left)

LW/LF:
1) Martial (good, potential to be World class but lacks dedication, may also play as #9)

Striker/CF:

Conclusion:

Only 9 above average players, including back-up goalkeeper and a 17-year old youngster. 10 below average or worse players (and 16 average or worse players). The amount of deadwood / players who are not good enough is somewhat concerning. When do we plan to start disposing off them?
Your'e very hard to please, it seems the majority of our players in your eyes is either way below average or absolute shite.

Alemar

Lukaku and Matic are Premier League proven players.
Lukaku is proven - hence "average" and not lower. Lukaku can score goals if provided service, has well known flaws and doesn't fit our game style. Average at best (for Man Utd). Matic - proven in the past, but is in decline and does not possess qualities required for CDM any longer (legs are gone, without legs CDM can't be effective). Hence "below average" (for Man Utd). We have seen during the last season, what means having Matic and Lukaku as starters - this is not good enough for our ambition.

MrSingh2002

Get rid of now.
Jones
Smalling
Matic
Sanchez

Get rid of in 12 months if not improved.
Shaw
Young
Rojo
Fred
Martial

I don't feel the above is anywhere near aggressive or excessive. The only one that could be is Smalling for his defensive qualities. Absolute trash on the ball however hence me wanting rid.

Sign now
Maguire
Alderweireld
Fernandes

Sign in 12 months
Talented LB
Longstaff
Piatek

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Shaw too? Wasn't he POTY?
This place.... :lol:

RedNed77

How can Henderson be "average" but Matic be below average? Matic is a two time Premier League winner and has played in World Cups, Henderson has one season of second division football under his belt.

Looking for sense and logic in this post is like panning for gold at the end of a sewage pipe bud, I’d give it up.

SAFMUTD

Get rid of now.
Jones
Smalling
Matic
Sanchez

Get rid of in 12 months if not improved.
Shaw
Young
Rojo
Fred
Martial

I don't feel the above is anywhere near aggressive or excessive. The only one that could be is Smalling for his defensive qualities. Absolute trash on the ball however hence me wanting rid.

Sign now
Maguire
Alderweireld
Fernandes

Sign in 12 months
Talented LB
Longstaff
Piatek
Get rid of Jones and Smalling now but give Rojo a chance? :confused::confused::confused:

MrSingh2002

Get rid of Jones and Smalling now but give Rojo a chance? :confused::confused::confused:
That's what it says. Jones and Smalling have had more chances than anyone in our squad and come up short repeatedly. Rojos in last chance saloon territory but if we had any standards at all Jones and Smalling would have been cut years ago.

OverratedOpinion

Sometimes players look a lot worse than they are when you put them in a dysfunctional team, the same way you can have a couple of average players in a great team and still perform if they know how to do their job and understand their limitations.

We do have some average players who should be fazed out but not the wholesale changes this would require. If Ole can get a sensible attacking style of play with good coaching and motivate the players I think certain players will surprise you.

OverratedOpinion

That's what it says. Jones and Smalling have had more chances than anyone in our squad and come up short repeatedly. Rojos in last chance saloon territory but if we had any standards at all Jones and Smalling would have been cut years ago.
Smalling is a drastically better defender than Rojo. Surely that comes into it when deciding who to keep?

They are also the same age.

MrSingh2002

Smalling is a drastically better defender than Rojo. Surely that comes into it when deciding who to keep?

They are also the same age.
For me Smallings awkwardness on the ball edges it. Horses for courses? But Rojo staying healthy or given a run at CB I could see him being useful on the ball at that position.

Best of a bad bunch of Jones, Smalling and Rojo. I'm just sick of seeing Smalling and Jones.

OverratedOpinion

For me Smallings awkwardness on the ball edges it. Horses for courses? But Rojo staying healthy or given a run at CB I could see him being useful on the ball at that position.

Best of a bad bunch of Jones, Smalling and Rojo. I'm just sick of seeing Smalling and Jones.
If we had just finished 5th and were going into a Europa League final with a starting centre back injured I would choose to have Smalling over Rojo 1000 times out of 1000. Apart from 10 games under Mourinho Rojo has been generally terrible and makes the whole back line feel shaky in my opinion.

Full bodied red

GK:
1) de Gea (World Class)
2) Romero (Good)

RB:

LB:
2) Young
3) Dalot

CB:
2) Smalling (average)
3) Jones (below average)

CDM:

CM:

CAM:

RW/RF:
1) none
3) none

LW/LF:

Striker/CF:

Conclusion:

Only your own opinions of our squad, of course...

I mean....If they're all as bad as you reckon, who on earth is going to buy them as you suggest, anyway ??

Denis79

Not supposed to make sense, just nod in agreement.

MrSingh2002

If we had just finished 5th and were going into a Europa League final with a starting centre back injured I would choose to have Smalling over Rojo 1000 times out of 1000. Apart from 10 games under Mourinho Rojo has been generally terrible and makes the whole back line feel shaky in my opinion.
He did have a decent spell under LVG too. He's rarely in great shape and probably has the same eating habits as Luke Shaw. If he finally knuckles down and gets in decent shape he could prove people wrong.

If not he should go within a season too anyway.

Infra-red

In the last 18 months, we've seen new contracts for all of Jones, Young, Martial, Rojo, Mata, Smalling, Shaw and Pereira, with Lingard reportedly in negotiations too.

Should have let most of that lot leave on free transfers.

Pughnichi

They are both prospects though. Who knows how good they will become. Lukaku and Matic are Premier League proven players. I can't see how we can classify two unproven youngsters as being in a higher echelon right now than 2 players who have been starting in the Premier League for years. Greenwood only has 4 first team appearances in professional football and Henderson has never played in the top flight.

I'm excited about Greenwood, and I'm not a big fan of either Rom or Matic either, but be realistic.
I’m realistic to believe that Lukaku ain’t good enough if we want to progress and would happily see Greenwood get his minutes to aid his development with a view to him getting to a level beyond Lukaku...where we all suspect he can be

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
You can’t sell a player without a buyer, and most buyers will not want to pay the wages the players are on. It’s not like you can stick them on EBay, they do have some say on where they want to end up and won’t move for any less a salary than is on their current contract.

Woodzy

Alexis’ prospects here really took a bad turn on his way out to that left wing from midfield.

SAFMUTD

Smalling has been decent for us, not top or good enough to be starting but a good option as a squad player. Jones’ problem is his injury record, but if fit he can be also a useful option.

On the other hand Rojo has been here for 5 years and has a worst injury record than Jones and has never shown anything promising, he’ll be the first one I’ll ship out.

Don’t misunderstand me, from all the CBs we have I’ll only keep Lindelof and Smalling, I just found funny how Rojo is not categorized as a must go.

el3mel

Why do you consider Joel Pereira an "absolute shite" ? Looks way too harsh for me.

SAFMUTD

We have fecked up so much by renewing underperforming players with improved contracts that shipping them out has become almost impossible, we should either absorb some part of their wages or let them leave for free so other teams may be interested.

Try to sell and get some profit:

Joel Pereira
Darmian
Jones
Bailly
Fosu Mensah
Fred
Andreas Pereira

Let them go for free/absorb some wages:

Grant
Rojo
Young
Mata
Alexis

We are way to passive and patient with players which has result in keeping deadwood for to long and even extending their contracts with improved terms. How can anyone explain Rojo’s extention? Also some folks asking Bailly for another chance, he’s been here for 3 years now and hasn’t found his ground we should ship him.

marktan

I agree with the jist of the post. Some players have hung around like a bad stink for way too long.

If we had Bale here we'd keep him till he was about 40.

Red Devil's Advocate

GK:
1) de Gea (World Class)
2) Romero (Good)

RB:

LB:
2) Young
3) Dalot

CB:
2) Smalling (average)
3) Jones (below average)

CDM:

CM:

CAM:

RW/RF:
1) none
3) none

LW/LF:

Striker/CF:

Conclusion:

Lukaku is average?
Bailly is below average while Smalling is average?
Tell me why to take you seriously.

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.

I get what you’re saying, but I know the two I’d wanna hang onto.

Red Devil's Advocate

We have fecked up so much by renewing underperforming players with improved contracts that shipping them out has become almost impossible, we should either absorb some part of their wages or let them leave for free so other teams may be interested.

Try to sell and get some profit:

Joel Pereira
Darmian
Jones
Bailly
Fosu Mensah
Fred
Andreas Pereira

Let them go for free/absorb some wages:

Grant
Rojo
Young
Mata
Alexis

We are way to passive and patient with players which has result in keeping deadwood for to long and even extending their contracts with improved terms. How can anyone explain Rojo’s extention? Also some folks asking Bailly for another chance, he’s been here for 3 years now and hasn’t found his ground we should ship him.
Bailly, Fred and Pereira need a proper run. I find it funny that we all romanticize unknown players from inferior leagues while dissing our own players with potential.

Njord

I disagree with those that mentions the experience, mentality etc. of our older players. Do you not remember Young two minutes after being yellow carded jumping in to a tackle to get a red vs Wolves, and ruining the game for us. Rojo jumps into red card worthy tackles every other game he plays. Darmian who struggles physically and technically, but is supposedly a good defender, showing some of the worst defensive nous I've seen when coming up against Sane.

And Matic tracking Sigurdsson with some of the least effort I've seen from a defensive midfielder ever. Mata generally goes missing when the going gets tough. Sanchez is almost not worth mentioning

If anyone in our squad should be commended for attitude, winning mentality or having a level head, it should be some of the younger guys. McTominay, Lindelöf seems like model professionals. Shaw has come back after being humiliated by Mourinho several times. And despite their off the pitch antics, Lingard and Rashford always give their all on it.

So if anything, I wouldn't mind getting rid of almost every "experienced" player. Because it's not age that matters, it's personality.