10 centre backs and a goalie vs 10 wingers and a goalie

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Who would win? The world's 10 best centre backs Vs the worlds 10 best wingers.

And none of this inverted winger nonsense I'm talking about old fashioned wingers

Last edited:

Centre backs are used to handling wingers. Wingers wouldn't know what to do with 10 centre backs firing long balls into the box.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
10 Sergio Ramos’ would probably beat most teams never mind a team of 10 wingers.

Eli Zee

The center backs would get creamed... all they can do is defend. They suck at attacking so they can't score. Wingers would score or at the very least not concede since the CBS suck at attack.

Jack-C20

So basically Burnley vs a load of wingers? I’m going for the centre backs.

Edit: Just realised Burnley might not have the best centre backs in the world but they’re definitely the template to follow.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
4 Sergio Ramos would get sent off. 3-0 default victory to the wingers
Nope that would never happen. Sergio hasn’t even been booked in his entire playing career.

Gopher Brown

I’m imagining a team of Dan Jameses vs a team of Harry Maguires. I think Maguire lumbering around up front would have the ball easily taken off him by the quicker James, and I think Maguire would be outpaced on the wings defensively. Whether James would be able to deliver a worthwhile cross to James is a question, but with low crosses, I think James’s sharpness up front would be the undoing of Maguire.

Harry Maguire United 0-2 Dan James United

Edit: I also misread the question

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
The more talented players will play in the front. Hence it'd be logical to conclude that in this scenario wingers will consistently win against CB's.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Centre backs are used to handling wingers. Wingers wouldn't know what to do with 10 centre backs firing long balls into the box.
Centre backs don't handle wingers though. Full backs handle them.

Centre backs wouldn't have a clue what to do when over the centre circle, and you'd imagine that the wingers would be able to hold possession most of the game, and have enough to win out.

Deery

Dreary
Worlds best the wingers would probably win easy enough.

The run of the mill centre backs v wingers I’d give the centre backs a slight advantage.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Is there 10 good out and out wingers nowadays? They basically all play as inverted forwards. Even Dan James who most would say is a winger prefers playing on the left and cutting in.

I reckon the quality of the 10 best CBs would be a lot higher than the 10 best traditional wingers so I'll go for long ball FC.

Ajr

Probably no longer under surveillance
He would win? The world's 10 best centre backs Vs the worlds 10 best wingers.

And none of this inverted winger nonsense I'm talking about old fashioned wingers
This is the kind of thread I visit this forum for, thank you for this. I am glad it is not just I who asks the questions that need to be answered.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
So like 10 Adama vs 10 Van Dijk?

Mmh...i'd go with the Van Dijks

Centre backs don't handle wingers though. Full backs handle them.

Centre backs wouldn't have a clue what to do when over the centre circle, and you'd imagine that the wingers would be able to hold possession most of the game, and have enough to win out.
Im thinking it would be a case of a handful of them go into the box whilst the others boot long balls and crosses at them. The wingers wouldn't stand a chance.

Centre backs already do a bit of attacking in games, wingers almost never get back and defend.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
Boring af game. 0-0 or 1-0 Team CB depending on whether they win a corner or free-kick in a good area.

Think it would be virtually impossible to score against a flat back-four of say Varane, Dias, Van Dijk, Kimpembe with Ramos and Marquinhos shielding in front.

MU655

Premier League

Salah
Son
Sterling
Mahrez
Rashford
Mane
Grealish
Barnes
Aubameyang (plays as a winger now)
Zaha

Van Dijk
Dias
Stones
Silva
Fofana
Gabriel
Mings
Rudiger
Christensen
Zouma (this team needs goals)

0-0

Spaghetti

Mom's
Centre backs are not the lumbering hoofballers they once were. In fact, being good on the ball seems to be a pre-requisite for centre backs at top teams these days.

Wingers are generally poor at defending and poor in the air, Maguire launching some balls in for Zouma, Van Dijk and Stones to attack would be tough for the wingers

I think the centre backs would comfortably win

OrcaFat

CBs would win. There are plenty very good footballing CBs and not too many wingers who could defend properly for 90 mins.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Centre backs. Wingers would lose to every other position. Centre backs would beat everyone but the centre mids.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Centre backs wouldn't have a clue what to do when over the centre circle
:lol: What? I wonder how Sergio Ramos chalked in his over 100 goals while not having a clue. Or Bruce, Koeman or the plethora of CBs who’ve scored loads of goals and clearly are capable of playing with a football past the centre circle.

CBs would easily win. Especially as the OPs specification of natural old school wingers don’t even exist anymore so you’ll struggle to even find 10 good ones of them.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
:lol: What? I wonder how Sergio Ramos chalked in his over 100 goals while not having a clue. Or Bruce, Koeman or the plethora of CBs who’ve scored loads of goals and clearly are capable of playing with a football past the centre circle.

CBs would easily win. Especially as the OPs specification of natural old school wingers don’t even exist anymore so you’ll struggle to even find 10 good ones of them.
Who is going to be taking these great set pieces though?
Let alone them having the ball far enough up the pitch to win any.

Foxbatt

There is an interview of Gullit where he talks about how they practiced at Milan, attack vs defense and he said every time the defense won. He mentioned Baresi and Maldini by name too.

DOTA

Anyone. It's not like they need to pick someone out. Just wack it up in the air for a knock down like every League Two team does when they win a freekick more than 20 yards from their own goal.

Good post

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I don’t think that it’s possible to set up a decent XI from current wingers, since there scarcely are any “traditional” ones. So if we’re doing an all-time battle, I’d certainly bet on center backs. I’ve not included the likes of Bergomi/Maldini/Thuram or others who had a career pick in a different position, and it’s still an overwhelming win for CBs. I’ve been tempted to include the likes of Valencia simply for his impressive physical build — and that’s saying something.

Schmeichel
Conti - Barnes - Nedved - Giggs
Beckham - Figo
Garrincha - Best - Džajić - Gento

Passarella - Figueroa
Scirea - Beckenbauer - Koeman - Ramos
Cannavaro - Baresi - Ferdinand - Nesta
Yashin​

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
The center backs would get creamed... all they can do is defend. They suck at attacking so they can't score. Wingers would score or at the very least not concede since the CBS suck at attack.
No CB has ever scored a from a set pice or a corner ????

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Ramos has a great cross on him — he has shown in many times over, especially when he was playing as a right back. Bonucci/Boateng/Hummels/Van Dijk/Stones/Laporte are all great on the ball, and those are just the first names that come to mind.

DOTA

Ramos has a great cross on him — he has shown in many times over, especially when he was playing as a right back. Bonucci/Boateng/Hummels/Van Dijk/Stones/Laporte are all great on the ball, and those are just the first names that come to mind.
Phil Jones on corners.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I don’t think that it’s possible to set up a decent XI from current wingers, since there scarcely are any “traditional” ones. So if we’re doing an all-time battle, I’d certainly bet on center backs. I’ve not included the likes of Bergomi/Maldini/Thuram or others who had a career pick in a different position, and it’s still an overwhelming win for CBs. I’ve been tempted to include the likes of Valencia simply for his impressive physical build — and that’s saying something.

Schmeichel
Conti - Barnes - Nedved - Giggs
Beckham - Figo
Garrincha - Best - Džajić - Gento

Passarella - Figueroa
Scirea - Beckenbauer - Koeman - Ramos
Cannavaro - Baresi - Ferdinand - Nesta
Yashin​
You can cheat and use a young Laurent Blanc who was mainly an attacking midfielder for Montpellier and a very good one too.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Anyone. It's not like they need to pick someone out. Just wack it up in the air for a knock down like every League Two team does when they win a freekick more than 20 yards from their own goal.
They won't have much of the ball to be getting any free kicks though. The much more skilful players will have the ball, and it'll be a classic attack v defence game, and the attack will obviously win out.