10 out of 10 performances from United players?

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
If you're a miserly perfectionist you might be excitedly clicking into this thread to tell others there's no such thing. If you're reasonable, you will understand that once in a blue moon, a player will demonstrate a level of performance that is quite simply fitting of their best in the shirt, and one of the great games the club itself has witnessed.

I have three performances that immediately fit the bill, to my mind, and I'm thinking that within this thread, I might be reminded of more.

As follows:

• Bryan Robson vs Barcelona 1984. Cup Winners' Cup 2nd leg. I don't care what age you are; the game is legendary, accessible and is the greatest elevation Robson can ever have, in that he was the best player on a pitch that had a hungry Diego Maradona playing for the opposition. There are many stories told about Captain Marvel, and I personally don't believe it takes more than a game or two of his at his best to appreciate that this is a comic book character of a player. If you want to see a player being Everything, Everywhere All at Once this is the game for you. There are plenty of articles, clips, footage and the full game itself to consume. This is the first performance that comes to mind as a 10/10. Incidentally, our very own @harms made this:

There's probably an accompanying thread to it. Suffice it to say it's worth it
  • Roy Keane vs Juventus 1999. Champions League semi-final 2nd leg. Just as with the first entry, an extremely high stakes game at the back-end of European competition against vaunted superstars of an era. In many ways this was Manchester United's point of arrival as a legitimate European giant. Juventus were the biggest club in the world and the team to beat; their appearances in CL finals was a given (winning it, a curse they struggled against) indeed, Juventus of that era went to four Champions League finals in a row; in parlance, they were the Real Madrid multiple winners, without the trophy - the expectations of them at that time were the same, and them going on to do that wouldn't have been unexpected. 'Roy Keane, Turin' is literally heralded enough to be Googled and pull up the performance:

It's another the games you haven't an excuse not to have watched. Keane of that period had - in my opinion - a run of 10/10 with his performances in
qualification for the 2002 World Cup vs
Holland and Portugal and it's a fitting bar
for this thread.
  • Ryan Giggs vs Roma 2007. Champions League quarter-final 2nd leg. The best #10 performance I've ever seen from a United player. Giggs was prime Ronaldinho and Rui Costa rolled into one for 90-odd minutes. Unplayable and, ironically, stealing the spotlight, unequivocally, from supposedly one of the greatest #10's on the planet in the opposing Francisco Totti. Daniele De Rossi was also one of the most coveted midfielders of his type in the world at this time; Ryan Giggs humliated him this game.
This is a fun article about the game.

What performances come to mind for you?

mu4c_20le

Rio vs Barca was one of his finest games I think. We were under constant pressure but he never put a foot wrong. He didn't even get booked.

RomfordRed75

A few spring to mind:

Berbatov vs Blackburn when he scored 5
Schmeichel v Newcastle in 96
Depay in a CL qualifier (I can't remember the year or team but he was unplayable)
Van Nistlerooy v Fulham in 2003

Reactions: Jippy

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Berba vs Blackburn, beautiful goals too.

FriedClams

Paul scholes hattrick away vs Newcastle. Keane v Arsenal away where he scored 2.

MrSingh2002

Rooney v Chelsea CL 2011.
Oh Lord.... was this the game where he played deep vs Chelsea at Old Trafford? I was there and he was out of this world.

Played like a peak Scholes in midfield as if he'd been doing it his whole life.

My addition is Ronaldo at home to Portsmouth when he scored that free kick. He so often gave flawless performances in the season or two before he left.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Oh Lord.... was this the game where he played deep vs Chelsea at Old Trafford? I was there and he was out of this world.

Played like a peak Scholes in midfield as if he'd been doing it his whole life.

My addition is Ronaldo at home to Portsmouth when he scored that free kick. He so often gave flawless performances in the season or two before he left.
Rooney vs Spurs in the 5-2 in 08-09 is another flawless performance from him. Especially in the 2nd half, 2 goals and 2 assists. Single handedly destroyed Spurs that day.

EtH

Scholes v Barca 2008 CL SF @ OT. Screamer.

Shiva87

Saha (5-1) Fulham. First game of 06-07. He was the perfect striker, although Rooney and Ronaldo got all the plaudits.

Owen Hargreaves vs Arsenal in 07-08. The one where he scored the free kick.

Ronaldo (RM) - 02/03. Hattrick at Old Trafford. Single handedly got them a win. Wasn't for United but can't ignore that.

Beckham 4-3 (vs Madrid) where he came on as a sub.

Ashley Young - vs Arsenal (8-2)

RedPed

Whatabouter.
De Gea vs Arsenal when we beat them a few years back even though they peppered our goal. He was in beast mode that night.

OL29

Nani vs Bayern Munich in 2010. We lost but he was immense, even without the goals

Irwin99

Keane vs Liverpool '96 cup final
Rooney debut
De Gea Vs Liverpool 2014
Rio Ferdinand against Liverpool (away) in 2008.

Bondi77

A few spring to mind:

Berbatov vs Blackburn when he scored 5
Schmeichel v Newcastle in 96
Depay in a CL qualifier (I can't remember the year or team but he was unplayable)
Van Nistlerooy v Fulham in 2003
There were quite a few occasions when Depay was unplayable and that was why we got rid.

Bondi77

De Gea against Spurs a couple of seasons ago.
Ronnie/Rooney/Giggs/Keane and Scholes would have had numerous 10/10 games as would have Hughes and Cantonna.
Robbo against Barca would be number one though.

KeanoMagicHat

Rashford off the bench against Leipzig in the CL. One of the best sub appearances I've ever seen, he was electric.

dinostar77

Everytime harry maguire is in the pitch for utd its a 10 out of 10 performance. If not then its the fault of his teammates.

Baneofthegame

DDG vs Arsenal when he was basically unbeatable and made that incredible double saved from I think Lacazette and Sanchez.

Oranges038

Dwight Yorke in 6-1 vs Arsenal.

Keane vs Arsenal in the 2-1 game at highbury.

Rooney in the 5-2 comeback vs Spurs & the 3-0 to 3-3 comeback vs Chelsea. That 3-3 game was crucial to reigning in City at the top.

Beckham in the 5-3 v West Ham.

slored1

Herrera vs Chelsea under Mourinho in 2017. One game in which he looked like Roy Keane's spirit came into him..

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
There’s some good performances in here….but not a lot of 10/10 ones.

Robson v Barca and Keane v Juve are the standard