100 corners, no goals. Edit: 140 corners, 1 goal. 152 corners, 2 goals.

Wing Attack Plan R

I still think the lack of run up space due to the narrow run offs hinders us with these.

For instance look at Gallagher's corner at 2 mins in here:

The best way to take corners is like that, initially high at a good pace, and then it dips and swings away from the defenders. It makes it very hard for the defenders to clear it, whereas the attackers can can get good power on the header quite easily due to the flight of the ball. Also allows time for the attackers to set themselves vs low, fast corners.

As you can see in that video, Gallagher takes a fairly long run up, which wouldn't be possible at Old Trafford. Of course there are loads of players who don't need the long run up, but the lack of space at OT probably doesn't help. But again it's probably another issue with our poor coaching more than anything.
We also don’t score from corners away.

RuudTom83

Do they practice taking them at Old Trafford?

Maybe at Carrington they are flying in!

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
You would imagine the new manager will sack the work experience kid on set pieces in the summer.

sparx99

It’s just another factor in our poor season. There was an athletic article from a few years back which showed the title winning teams more often than not are also top 5 at set pieces as well. Every facet of the game matters and we aren’t good enough at too many of them.

The list of things this Utd team is good at is terribly short.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Remember 12/13 when we used to had RVP took the right side corner while Rooney took the left side corner and we scored lot of them. I'm stunned with our poor delivery from corner. They are either straight to keeper or went near post which easily cleared. The delivery also lack of pace to give the opposition troubles. How can we be so bad at this? Bruno and Telles, they used to be known very good at delivering corners but not anymore.

El Zoido

That new set-piece coach really earning his money. Just the latest example of United's exceptional recirument policy.
He was highly rated at Chelsea though. And to be fair, the main problem is the deliveries not the setup, he can’t kick the ball for them. We had some interesting and creative set pieces not long after he joined, which seems to have slipped away. Have to wonder if he’s been assigned other duties at this point.

It’s actually hilarious how many highly rated and talented people we ruin, have to wonder if it’s something endemic to the club at this point. We’d ruin Klopp, would be funny to see how long it’d take our fanbase to start calling him a shit manager.

Norris Cole

Chelsea seem to score from a set piece every other game - we could be right up there if we'd scraped a few results from set-pieces

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
To be fair, Maguire seems the only player in our entire squad able to head the ball on a corner. And he's not playing.

abkmufc92

Our delivery's are shit plus the vast majority of our players are fecking pussies and are scared of attacking the ball anyway.

We have the biggest pussy of a centre back to ever play in this league in Lindelof who gets scared whenever the ball is in the air.

We used to have players that would literally throw themselves at the ball now we have players that are afraid to let the ball touch their head.

Last edited:

Houdini

Amazing that we get this new set piece coach and we're even worse than before he arrived (and we were bad attacking or defending them then as well)
Maybe he is only a defensive corner coach? We improved a bit there.

Smores

Do we know how common such a run is in the Premier league era?

It seems remarkable to me and we do seem to have all the tools at our disposal so it's a mystery.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Has any team ever gone a full season without scoring one? Could be a bet worth taking!

The Oracle

Wonder if this has anything to do with us not scoring from corners this season...

Taken from an article published back in August before the season began:

"Last week (in July), the Football Association (FA), Premier League and other governing bodies announced guidelines limiting "high-impact" headers to 10 per week in training from the 2021-22 season"

https://www.reuters.com/lifestyle/s...alth-warning-says-dementia-expert-2021-08-02/

TenonTen

Supports
Neutral
United hired Eric Ramsey from Chelsea to oversee set pieces.

Wonder if its because he's just not the right man for the job.

Also alarming that since he left, Chelsea have scored more corners than any other team this season

IrishRedDevil

108th penalty, Bruno doesn’t beat the first man again, de Gea saves us from a Brentford counter attack goal. Ridiculous.

Stevondo8

Of the 108 and counting, does anyone know how many haven’t cleared the first man? I’d be surprised if it’s less than half.

MDFC Manager

I genuinely fear we'll concede every time we win a corner.
I find it's a better idea to just kick the ball to the sidelines and retreat, whenever we get a corner. We're never gonna score, so avoid conceding instead.

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
Our corners are hilarious. Ever thought of the short corner? Jesus. Anyone can whip a shit cross into the box. Might aswell just put it out of play and run back up the pitch.

Witchking

Wonder if this has anything to do with us not scoring from corners this season...

Taken from an article published back in August before the season began:

"Last week (in July), the Football Association (FA), Premier League and other governing bodies announced guidelines limiting "high-impact" headers to 10 per week in training from the 2021-22 season"

https://www.reuters.com/lifestyle/s...alth-warning-says-dementia-expert-2021-08-02/
Does the rule only apply to United? :(

vlad93

No cornetto from King David Beckam who was the great cornholio of crosses.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Anyone know the record for longest scoreless corner streak?

I could find a listing for Burnley going 112 games without scoring from a corner in a article dating back to 2018, so we still got a few to go at least before setting another record

Rook

please for the love of god stop half clearing every corner by taking out swingers.

Stevondo8

I guess it’s not that we don’t look like scoring from a corner, there must be stats around how good an opportunity corners actually are to score from, it’s how many times our corners result in counters and dangerous opportunities for opposition, think we’re on 3 times tonight so far.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Can we slap the idiot who insist us to take regular corner, please? It becomes opponent opportunity to score goal. And we're still doing it.

Natener

It's getting so bad that the opposition team has more of a goal scoring chance than us from our corners.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
I guess it’s not that we don’t look like scoring from a corner, there must be stats around how good an opportunity corners actually are to score from, it’s how many times our corners result in counters and dangerous opportunities for opposition, think we’re on 3 times tonight so far.
About 3% I think.

Cardboard elk

Supports
Rosenborg
Ragnick should just hire a set piece expert. Norways national team hired Brentfords Bernardo Cueva in the national break last autumn. Instant success. Before that, maybe every 100th corner gave results.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
What is the current count now? I'm really worried at this, we signed a set piece coach didn't we?

dove

Bruno and Greenwood are simply not capable of getting the ball past the first defender and yet Bruno probably took over half of those 100 corners. I don't understand why we don't try to take it short. The one time we did it, Ronaldo hit the crossbar. I can't even remember us having a shot from a direct corner ever, I bet opposition had more shots against us from our corner than we did...