Music 1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
183. 184. Muddy Waters - At Newport/James Brown - Live At The Apollo
Two of the best live records I've heard. The band at Newport sound amazing and Muddy Waters is so comanding. Having seen James Brown perform "live" a number of times on film, I can't think of anyone better at it. Such a talented musician with mesmerising charisma. Live performer no.1.

185. Elvis Presley - Elvis Presley
I knew most of these songs and thought I quite liked them but playing them all back to back was annoying. The vocal tics and overall persona quickly wears thin. Maybe it's just an over familiarity with the Elvis industry. The Tutti Frutti cover is brutal.

186. Fats Domino - This is Fats
I've seen Fats in feature films several times and have always been impressed, so this recording was quite disappointing. Flat and dated. The sound quality wasn't doing it any favours either.

187. 188. Madonna - Music/Ray Of Light
A couple of decent songs but when the production fails all that's left is a dull voice and dull lyrics.

189. Cyndi Lauper - She's So Unusual
A total guilty pleasure. I absolutely adore everything about Cyndi Lauper's infectious pop music, she should be more treasured. Girls Just Want To Have Fun is one of my top 5 favourite songs.

190. Arcade Fire - Neon Bible
Love Funeral but this failed to grab me.

191. Coldplay - Parachutes
A number of the early songs hold up pretty well but as the album goes on it becomes very monotonous.

192. Green Day - American Idiot
Had never wanted to listen to this album and the sound and image is generally not my thing, so I was surprised to find myself quite enjoying it. The themes are hacky (even at the time of release) but it has a streak of likeable tunes.

193. The Killers - Hot Fuss
Really liked it. Great energy.

194. Fever Ray - Fever Ray
I'm a big The Knife fan so this is an instant like. The songs seem to have a slightly more sombre tone to them, and there is perhaps a little more focus on the vocals, rather than the usual elaborate production, but essentially it feels like another The Knife album, which is a great thing.

195. Q-Tip - The Renaissance
Fine delivery and lyrics as always.

196. Simon & Garfunkel - Parsley, Sage, Rosemary, & Thyme
Another great collection of folkiness.

197. Little Richard - Here's Little Richard
I know a lot of these old guys mainly through greatest hits albums, so It's interesting to feel the impact of a single record purposely made at a specific moment in time. Such energy and clarity. The early pioneers can't compete with the conceptual artistry of the biggest rock acts but purely on a music listening level this stuff sounds better to my ears. Straight away one of my favourite rock albums.

198. Buddy Holly and The Crickets - The Chirping Crickets
Whereas something like A Hard Day's Night feels as old as my dead nan, Buddy Holly always sounds so vital. I much prefer the sound of early rock and roll over the fully fleshed out genre that developed later . There's a real purity to the stripped down nature of it.

199. 200. Machito - Kenya/Thelonious Monk - Brilliant Corners
Back to back plays. Thelonious Monk brings a cool mix of intricate rhythms and what sounded like my nephew playing the pots and pans, Machito is all cuban heat, and moved me.

201. The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds
More hits, more like, but by god are they white. Listening to a lot of black rock & roll for the list really brings home just how much white marketing played in the direction popular music went. Yuck.

202. Radiohead - The Bends
This was actually very good despite my earlier reservations. Second best after Moon shaped Pool, for this old sceptic.

203. Prince Sign O The Times
Bought this dirt cheap on second hand vinyl years ago and it looked almost pristine. Took it home to play and found a nasty skip on "play in the sunshine" kind of ruining the whole thing. Before binning it in a huff I decided that I'd try and fix it. Having no idea what I was doing I took a sewing needle and ran it through the groove over and over. I kept testing it without luck but after about half an hour of pushing into the groove suddenly there was no skip or pop, and the the song played as new. I must have played it dozens of times since and every time it gets to the moment of the skip I get a warm feeling inside. One of my favourite memories of listening to records. Boring story but fecking great album.

204. NWA - Straight Outta Compton
Loud, brash, powerful with great production and some surprisingly intricate lyrics, particularly for the time. And then there are lyrics like: "Moving like a tortoise full of rigor mortis". Which is top 5 for me. Cube must have written that.

205. 206. White Stripes - Elephant/Get Behind Me Satan
Elephant is a thundering garage blues tour de force. Get Behind Me Satan is strange and awkward and brilliant.
207. Jack White - Blunderbuss
Some nice songs but I miss the rough edges and incessant banging.

208. The Libertines - The Libertines
Quite enjoyable in spots, a little monotonous and Pete's reported poetic brilliance isn't entirely apparent to this humble listener.

209. Slipknot - All Hope Is Lost
For all the growling and noise, this record is emo as anything. Not unlistenable but they sound like whiny mama's boys.

210. The Louvin Brothers - Tragic Songs of Life
Nice slice of country.

211. The Who - Who's Next
Exciting, elaborate rock, nice songs.

212. 213. 214. 215. 216. 217. 218. A Hard Day's Night/With The Beatles/Revolver/Abbey Road/Rubber SOul/Sgt Pepper's Lonely/The White Album
With The Beatles and A Hard Day's Night I never need to hear again. I find much of the early stuff to be less good versions of that which they're imitating. However The later psychedelic experimentation stuff is undeniable, not only great but essential. John's wanky superciliousness adds a bite to Paul's plodding numbers and Paul's melodies reign in John's more madcap structures. Those few Harrison songs that sneak in just open up the records a bit more. They make a perfect symphony, and their solo work is almost all rubbish.

219. Velvet underground - Velvet Underground & Nico
As much an artefact of its time as a piece of music, with Warhol and that cover. Still sounds dirty and soulful and wonderful.

220. Spiritualized - Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space
Started off brightly but it became repetitive and I was willing it to finish.

221. The Stranglers - Rattus Norvegicus
Good collection of punky tunes. A cohesive tone to the album.

222. 223. Talking Heads - More Songs About Buildings and Food/Fear of Music
Another two solid albums from the band.

224. Kendrick Lamar - Good Kid, M.A.A.D City
My favourite Kendrick album. Good rhyming, creative ideas and he isn't completely up his own arse yet. "The Art of Peer Pressure" is the best he ever did.

225. Kate Bush - Hounds of Love
One of the most inventive pop albums ever made. The ambition of this thing is amazing. That the Ninth Wave is essentially the work of a single mind is stunning to me.

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
Agreed on Good Kid MAAD City.

Slightly disagree on Beatles solo stuff being rubbish, but I learned a new word in that write-up so I can't complain too much. Now I just need to figure out how to pronounce 'superciliousness'.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Agreed on Good Kid MAAD City.

Slightly disagree on Beatles solo stuff being rubbish, but I learned a new word in that write-up so I can't complain too much. Now I just need to figure out how to pronounce 'superciliousness'.
You've gotta dig deep when you have to write a thousand of these little bastard things. I can already hear myself repeating phrases. About the solo work, I probably stuck the weaselly "almost" in there because I don't think I really believed it either, but they did make some stinkers.

Also cheers I don't necessarily expect anyone to still be reading at this point.

BD

You've gotta dig deep when you have to write a thousand of these little bastard things. I can already hear myself repeating phrases. About the solo work, I probably stuck the weaselly "almost" in there because I don't think I really believed it either, but they did make some stinkers.

Also cheers I don't necessarily expect anyone to still be reading at this point.
Oh I know, I've only committed to writing a small note to myself beside each album in my spreadsheet, and even that is tough. So many 'decent', 'meh', 'grand' comments.

And yeah, it's mostly shit. In fact, probably a maximum of 3 solo albums that I would say are in any way close to any of The Beatles albums post Help.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
189. Cyndi Lauper - She's So Unusual
A total guilty pleasure. I absolutely adore everything about Cyndi Lauper's infectious pop music, she should be more treasured. Girls Just Want To Have Fun is one of my top 5 favourite songs.

225. Kate Bush - Hounds of Love
One of the most inventive pop albums ever made. The ambition of this thing is amazing. That the Ninth Wave is essentially the work of a single mind is stunning to me.
There is a lot to discover in terms of synth sounds in (good) 80s records. That little plick-plock sound of the solo in Girls Just Want To Have Fun, for example, is quite crafty. Lots of great sounds on Hounds of Love as well. I wonder whi was behind those. 80s records often list synths technicians - although I think Kate Bush may have been doing a lot of that herself, especially the Fairlight stuff (although that may be less often used for playable melodies).

Last edited:

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
There is a lot to discover in terms of synth sounds in (good) 80s records. That little plick-plock sound of the solo in Girls Just Want To Have Fun, for example, is quite craft. Lots of great sounds on Hounds of Love as well. I wonder how was behind those. Records often list synths technicians - although I think Kate Bush may have been doing a lot of that herself, especially the Fairlight stuff (although that may be less often used for playable melodies).
This is a pretty good documentary about the making of Hounds Of Love, goes into her studio setup, sequencing and how she was using the Fairlight:

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
This is a pretty good documentary about the making of Hounds Of Love, goes into her studio setup, sequencing and how she was using the Fairlight:
Oh, that's awesome! I'm a big synth nerd, so this'll be fun. :)

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
That was enjoyable. Virtually no synths actually, and not much about the sonic aspects either; the drummer gets to explain some stuff, a guy mentions a couple of chords, but that's about it. A bit of a pity, really, cause there are a lot of great sound ideas on there. Just simple putting the banjo on top of the strings at the start of Cloudbursting, following by a bit of vocal sound: it's non-intuitive, but it works brilliantly. I should also say that I remember the album as having come out at the start of the 80s while it's actually 1985 - at which point synths and Fairlights weren't as 'new' anymore. (Synth use is actually 20 years old by that point of course, but to my mind, there's a real change in use around 1980, when we get into serious polyphony, different synthesis types, memory, and midi.) In any case, interesting documentary.

I had never realized the lack of cymbals on some track btw. I wonder if that idea for Bush went back to Peter Gabriel. He (in)famously didn't allow his drummers to use any cymbals on 3 (Melt). I think that was a pretty new concept for pop at the time. Robert Fripp played on 3 and had wanted Bruford to do the same on his King Crimson reincarnation - but Bruford objected so you do have cymbals on Discipline. There is another band or artist with a Peter Gabriel link that did this soon after, but I can 't think of their name now. Kate Bush also sang on 3 (No Self Control and Games Without Frontiers). Not that every art idea has to have a single though, of course. Brilliant album actually. Probably my favorite for PG.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
28 in total, but I basically went through the first 800 and had 2 which were both MJ. The list is definitely skewed towards a certain type of music with token inclusions of others.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
226. Sarah Vaughan - Sarah Vaughan at Mister Kelly's
An utterly charming recording. The personality shines as much as the voice.

227. Elvis Presely - Elvis Is Back
Much prefered this one to the last Elvis album. The mannerisms are kept in check and the laid back love songs are more suited to his sweet vocals.

228. Jimmy Smith - Back At The Chicken Shack
Pretty good organ heavy jazz, not a bad listen.

229. Pink Floyd - The Piper at the Gates of Dawn
Not too bad, not one of my favourite PF albums. Part of the reluctance is that I don't think it lives up to the sublime magic of the Kenneth Graham original.

230. MIA - Kala
Wild, hard, art school urban chic.

231. Jefferson Airplane, Surrealistic Pillow
Fine album, great songs, iconic Grace Slick vocals.

232. Sigur Rós - Ágætis Byrjun
Twinkly Icelandic music, to lullaby a troll to.

233. Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffiti
Another strong album from whoever they stole it from.

234. Hot Chip - In Our Heads
Enjoyable if barely noticeable at times.

235. Fleetwood Mac - Tusk
Long, arduous but ok. Tune in and out at your discretion.

236. Beck - Sea Change
237. Beck Guero

Sea Change was tiresome and ordinary. Guero was better but having only known Odelay prior to these albums I was expecting more.

238. Sex Pistols - Never Mind the Bollocks Here's the Sex Pistols
Rowdy and raucous. Though the sounds and concepts are so crisp and clear that it raises the slight suspicion that they're putting it on a bit. Nice boys I imagine.

239. The Black Keys - Brothers
A nice find. Feels like an authentic roots musical experience.

240. Bob Dylan, the Freewheelin' Bob Dylan (1963)
241. Bob Dylan- Bringing It All Back Home
242. Bob Dylan, Highway 61 Revisited (1965)
243. Bob Dylan, Blonde on Blonde (1966)
244. Bob Dylan: Blood on the Tracks

I'm off and on about Dylan's post Judas output. Blood on the Tracks is mellow and tuneful, Blonde on Blonde has some rough stuff that I hate on it but some amazing songs late on. Give me all the early albums.

245. Jack Elliot - Jack Takes the Floor
Brilliant bluesy folk. Very Bob Dylan sounding - even more so than Woody Guthrie who also features. Even the song links and intros have a similar rhythm and cadence. Another album for the keep list.

246. The Kinks - Face to Face
247. The Kinks - Something Else by the Kinks
248. The Kinks - The Kinks Are the Village Green Preservation Society
249. The Kinks - Arthur or the Decline and Fall of the British Empire

Face to Face is some square boy band music, Something Else is much better with more adventurous songs and strong melodies. Village Green and Arthur is The Kinks I know and love.

250. Queen - Queen II
If it aint the anthems then I get little from Queen's rock-pop dirge.

251. Ice Cube - Amerikkka's Most Wanted
252. Ice Cube - The Predator

Brash and ugly at times and politically conscious at others. Tough and outspoken in the form of great rhymes.

253. Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - By Henry's Dream
254. Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - The Boatman's Call
255. Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - The Lyre of Orpheus/Abattoir Blues

A good variety of Aussie macabre. I Like the heavy arrangements on Abattoir Blues. Boatman's is the the pick of the lot, with a surprisingly tender songwriting eminating from the band's black heart.

256. Kate Bush - The Dreaming
My favourite album. The imagination and madness of this album is completely thrilling. I can't express.

257. Willie Nelson- Stardust
Sounds like the sweet homely music from your old grandpa.

258. Lupe Fiasco's Food & Liquor
Fine, inventive hip hop. Concepts, rhymes, delivery.

259. Dance Mania- Tito Puente
Dense cacophony of Latin, rhythms and vocals. I'f you're living you're moving.

260. Deerhunter - Halcyon Digest
Very good. Interesting song structures.

261. Arcade Fire - The Suburbs
A third album is too much.

262. Justice - Cross
The title and cover art had me anticipating some death metal monstrosity so I was pleasantly surprised by these delightful disco sounds.

263. Pearl- Janis Joplin
Brilliant ballsy vocals. Great songwriting and energy.

264. Frank Zappa - Hot Rats
I found it one of the more accessible Frank Zappa albums. Strange, interesting and tuneful.

265. Johnny Cash - At Folsom Prison
Brilliant, hilarious record. Utterly mad set list to be playing in a prison, 25 minutes to go sheesh. Stuff of legends.

266. Peter Tosh - Legalize It
The title track is silly but this is a really sweet album with low key instrumentation and touching lyrics. It doesn't have the pizzazz of a Wailers' album but it's as soulful as anything they put out.

267. Beyonce
Horrible, cynical capitalist trash. Some of the Boots beats are quite ok.

268. Chvrches
Incessantly cheery synths and longing lyrics are nice for a while, and then not so much.

269. The Electric Prunes - The Electric Prunes
Sounds fantastic. A bit Doorsy a bit Horses. Sold to the highest bidder is so nice.

270. hookworm
Coming straight after Chvrches, it proved too similar and a prolonged synth agony.

271. Merle Haggard - I'm a Lonesome Fugitive
Chuckling at just how contemporary it sounds with it's whiny male fragility. It's like the mra songbook. women financially and emotionally ruining men, women not putting out, mansplaining. Was getting into it though. A nice bouncy feel to it.

272. Love, Forever Changes (1967)
Smooth, wonderful daydreamy music.

273. Paul McCartney - McCartney (1970)
274. John Lennon - Imagine
275. John Lennon - John Lennon & Plastic Ono Band
276. Paul McCartney and Wings - Band on the Run

This is me rowing back. A good chunk of the tracks on these albums are excellent, on Plastic Ono and McCartney in particular. Really like some of the sounds on Band on The Run even if the songs get a bit dreary. The terribleness of Imagine (song) still makes me right somehow though.

277. Deep Purple - Deep Purple in Rock
Love the keys on this thing. Gentle organ sounds complementing the hard stuff.

278. Motorhead - Ace of Spades
Great vocals, hard playing record.

279. Carole King - Tapestry
Lovely Subtlety. Nice to hear a vocalist employing restraint and still killing.

280. Van Halen - Van Halen
Enjoyable guitar flexing fun.

281. Neil Young and Crazy Horse - Rust Never Sleeps
As Cheery as Young ever sounded.

282. Yes - Fragile
Bright and breezy rock that quickly becomes annoying.

283. The Who - The Who Sell Out
I love the sound, I love the wit.

284. Butthole Surfers - Locust Abortion Technician
I thought it was a joke for about 7 minutes, just terrible. But slowly I began to see that it had a art punk integrity to it. There is something about it that was giving me Grieg's Peer Gynt vibes, certainly not the sound but it has a sort of creepy, ominous Hall of The Mountain King thing to it. Intriguing, I'll go back to it.

285. Skepta – Konnichiwa
This was good. I'm pretty ignorant about the genre for my shame but the rhymes were on point and the themes were strong.

286. Dexy's Midnight Runners - Searching for the Young Soul Rebels
Nope I zoned out on this one completely. Couldn't tell you a thing.

287. Tim Buckley - Goodbye and Hello
I Was enjoying it for a while, beautiful voice and that, but the 6, 7 and 9 minute tracks started to wear me down somewhat.
288. Tim Buckley - Happy Sad
SOme more enjoyable music and at a more manageable song length.

289. The Doors - Morrison Hotel
More bluesy than I expected, but also some typical Morrison dirge. It Was OK.

290. ABBA - Arrival
Lovely, lively disco tunes.

291. Muddy Waters - Hard Again
Hard and heavy blues rock. Fantastic.

292. The Jam - All Mod Cons
Excellent mod rock. (These are getting lazy.)

293. The Clash - London Calling
Great playing over Jones and Strummers' superb writing. Can you still be punk with this level of craftsmanship?

294. Buffalo Springfield - Again
Very enjoyable album. (phoning it in now)

295. Beau Brummels - Triangle
Dark and weird trippy music. Was a new one to me and am glad I caught it. It's a keeper.

296. Elton John - Madman Across the Water
Some good songs before it all becomes too much.

297. Echo & the Bunnymen - Crocodiles
Not too shabby, some enjoyable songs on this thing.

298. Bruce Springsteen - Darkness on the Edge of Town
The Boss doing his thing again. A nice range of big and small numbers.

299. Prince - Purple Rain
Might be Prince's smoothest, most soulful album. Some of the instrumental riffing on this is crazy.

300. Aerosmith - Pump
Liked it pretty much.

301. Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds - Murder Ballads (1996)
Dang missed it. More dark and dirty fun.

302. Supertramp - Crime of the Century
Pretty darn tedious.

303. UB40 - Signing Off
For a naff white reggae band there is some brilliant extended jamming on this album.

304. Public Enemy - Fear of a Black Planet
Fierce agitprop rap. Some wild sampling on the record. Yes Flava Flav, however when Chuck D is on the mic it still sounds dangerous and subversive, maybe even more so today than at the time.

305. A Tribe Called Quest - Low End Theory
306. Queen Latifah - All Hail the Queen
307. De La Soul - 3 Feet High and Rising
308. A Tribe Called Quest - People's Instinctive Travels

Queen Latifah sounds amazing. Ladies first is an amazing song and Monie Love has a better flow than most rappers out today. 3 feet is a masterclass in sampling. Tribe sound as fresh today.

For me Native Tongues are the most important movement in hip hop.

309. Kanye West - Yeezus
For me Kanye West is the most self-important bowel movement in hip hop.
-
-

You can keep the errors. Feck ya'll.

Last edited:

krautrøck

Supports
FC Bayer 05 Uerdingen
Hang on a sec while I get my pitchfork for the Young Soul Rebels comment.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Supertramp. *shudders*

I remember thinking that Chvrches album was great when it first came out but the more time went on the more it faded in my estimation.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
226. Sarah Vaughan - Sarah Vaughan at Mister Kelly's
An utterly charming recording. The personality shines as much as the voice.

227. Elvis Presely - Elvis Is Back
Much prefered this one to the last Elvis album. The mannerisms are kept in check and the laid back love songs are more suited to his sweet vocals.

228. Jimmy Smith - Back At The Chicken Shack
Pretty good organ heavy jazz, not a bad listen.

229. Pink Floyd - The Piper at the Gates of Dawn
Not too bad, not one of my favourite PF albums. Part of the reluctance is that I don't think it lives up to the sublime magic of the Kenneth Graham original.

230. MIA - Kala
Wild, hard, art school urban chic.

231. Jefferson Airplane, Surrealistic Pillow
Fine album, great songs, iconic Grace Slick vocals.

232. Sigur Rós - Ágætis Byrjun
Twinkly Icelandic music, to lullaby a troll to.

233. Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffiti
Another strong album from whoever they stole it from.

234. Hot Chip - In Our Heads
Enjoyable if barely noticeable at times.

235. Fleetwood Mac - Tusk
Long, arduous but ok. Tune in and out at your discretion.

236. Beck - Sea Change
237. Beck Guero

Sea Change was tiresome and ordinary. Guero was better but having only known Odelay prior to these albums I was expecting more.

238. Sex Pistols - Never Mind the Bollocks Here's the Sex Pistols
Rowdy and raucous. Though the sounds and concepts are so crisp and clear that it raises the slight suspicion that they're putting it on a bit. Nice boys I imagine.

239. The Black Keys - Brothers
A nice find. Feels like an authentic roots musical experience.

240. Bob Dylan, the Freewheelin' Bob Dylan (1963)
241. Bob Dylan- Bringing It All Back Home
242. Bob Dylan, Highway 61 Revisited (1965)
243. Bob Dylan, Blonde on Blonde (1966)
244. Bob Dylan: Blood on the Tracks

I'm off and on about Dylan's post Judas output. Blood on the Tracks is mellow and tuneful, Blonde on Blonde has some rough stuff that I hate on it but some amazing songs late on. Give me all the early albums.

245. Jack Elliot - Jack Takes the Floor
Brilliant bluesy folk. Very Bob Dylan sounding - even more so than Woody Guthrie who also features. Even the song links and intros have a similar rhythm and cadence. Another album for the keep list.

246. The Kinks - Face to Face
247. The Kinks - Something Else by the Kinks
248. The Kinks - The Kinks Are the Village Green Preservation Society
249. The Kinks - Arthur or the Decline and Fall of the British Empire

Face to Face is some square boy band music, Something Else is much better with more adventurous songs and strong melodies. Village Green and Arthur is The Kinks I know and love.

250. Queen - Queen II
If it aint the anthems then I get little from Queen's rock-pop dirge.

251. Ice Cube - Amerikkka's Most Wanted
252. Ice Cube - The Predator

Brash and ugly at times and politically conscious at others. Tough and outspoken in the form of great rhymes.

253. Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - By Henry's Dream
254. Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - The Boatman's Call
255. Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - The Lyre of Orpheus/Abattoir Blues

A good variety of Aussie macabre. I Like the heavy arrangements on Abattoir Blues. Boatman's is the the pick of the lot, with a surprisingly tender songwriting eminating from the band's black heart.

256. Kate Bush - The Dreaming
My favourite album. The imagination and madness of this album is completely thrilling. I can't express.

257. Willie Nelson- Stardust
Sounds like the sweet homely music from your old grandpa.

258. Lupe Fiasco's Food & Liquor
Fine, inventive hip hop. Concepts, rhymes, delivery.

259. Dance Mania- Tito Puente
Dense cacophony of Latin, rhythms and vocals. I'f you're living you're moving.

260. Deerhunter - Halcyon Digest
Very good. Interesting song structures.

261. Arcade Fire - The Suburbs
A third album is too much.

262. Justice - Cross
The title and cover art had me anticipating some death metal monstrosity so I was pleasantly surprised by these delightful disco sounds.

263. Pearl- Janis Joplin
Brilliant ballsy vocals. Great songwriting and energy.

264. Frank Zappa - Hot Rats
I found it one of the more accessible Frank Zappa albums. Strange, interesting and tuneful.

265. Johnny Cash - At Folsom Prison
Brilliant, hilarious record. Utterly mad set list to be playing in a prison, 25 minutes to go sheesh. Stuff of legends.

266. Peter Tosh - Legalize It
The title track is silly but this is a really sweet album with low key instrumentation and touching lyrics. It doesn't have the pizzazz of a Wailers' album but it's as soulful as anything they put out.

267. Beyonce
Horrible, cynical capitalist trash. Some of the Boots beats are quite ok.

268. Chvrches
Incessantly cheery synths and longing lyrics are nice for a while, and then not so much.

269. The Electric Prunes - The Electric Prunes
Sounds fantastic. A bit Doorsy a bit Horses. Sold to the highest bidder is so nice.

270. hookworm
Coming straight after Chvrches, it proved too similar and a prolonged synth agony.

271. Merle Haggard - I'm a Lonesome Fugitive
Chuckling at just how contemporary it sounds with it's whiny male fragility. It's like the mra songbook. women financially and emotionally ruining men, women not putting out, mansplaining. Was getting into it though. A nice bouncy feel to it.

272. Love, Forever Changes (1967)
Smooth, wonderful daydreamy music.

273. Paul McCartney - McCartney (1970)
274. John Lennon - Imagine
275. John Lennon - John Lennon & Plastic Ono Band
276. Paul McCartney and Wings - Band on the Run

This is me rowing back. A good chunk of the tracks on these albums are excellent, on Plastic Ono and McCartney in particular. Really like some of the sounds on Band on The Run even if the songs get a bit dreary. The terribleness of Imagine (song) still makes me right somehow though.

277. Deep Purple - Deep Purple in Rock
Love the keys on this thing. Gentle organ sounds complementing the hard stuff.

278. Motorhead - Ace of Spades
Great vocals, hard playing record.

279. Carole King - Tapestry
Lovely Subtlety. Nice to hear a vocalist employing restraint and still killing.

280. Van Halen - Van Halen
Enjoyable guitar flexing fun.

281. Neil Young and Crazy Horse - Rust Never Sleeps
As Cheery as Young ever sounded.

282. Yes - Fragile
Bright and breezy rock that quickly becomes annoying.

283. The Who - The Who Sell Out
I love the sound, I love the wit.

284. Butthole Surfers - Locust Abortion Technician
I thought it was a joke for about 7 minutes, just terrible. But slowly I began to see that it had a art punk integrity to it. There is something about it that was giving me Grieg's Peer Gynt vibes, certainly not the sound but it has a sort of creepy, ominous Hall of The Mountain King thing to it. Intriguing, I'll go back to it.

285. Skepta – Konnichiwa
This was good. I'm pretty ignorant about the genre for my shame but the rhymes were on point and the themes were strong.

286. Dexy's Midnight Runners - Searching for the Young Soul Rebels
Nope I zoned out on this one completely. Couldn't tell you a thing.

287. Tim Buckley - Goodbye and Hello
I Was enjoying it for a while, beautiful voice and that, but the 6, 7 and 9 minute tracks started to wear me down somewhat.
288. Tim Buckley - Happy Sad
SOme more enjoyable music and at a more manageable song length.

289. The Doors - Morrison Hotel
More bluesy than I expected, but also some typical Morrison dirge. It Was OK.

290. ABBA - Arrival
Lovely, lively disco tunes.

291. Muddy Waters - Hard Again
Hard and heavy blues rock. Fantastic.

292. The Jam - All Mod Cons
Excellent mod rock. (These are getting lazy.)

293. The Clash - London Calling
Great playing over Jones and Strummers' superb writing. Can you still be punk with this level of craftsmanship?

294. Buffalo Springfield - Again
Very enjoyable album. (phoning it in now)

295. Beau Brummels - Triangle
Dark and weird trippy music. Was a new one to me and am glad I caught it. It's a keeper.

296. Elton John - Madman Across the Water
Some good songs before it all becomes too much.

297. Echo & the Bunnymen - Crocodiles
Not too shabby, some enjoyable songs on this thing.

298. Bruce Springsteen - Darkness on the Edge of Town
The Boss doing his thing again. A nice range of big and small numbers.

299. Prince - Purple Rain
Might be Prince's smoothest, most soulful album. Some of the instrumental riffing on this is crazy.

300. Aerosmith - Pump
Liked it pretty much.

301. Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds - Murder Ballads (1996)
Dang missed it. More dark and dirty fun.

302. Supertramp - Crime of the Century
Pretty darn tedious.

303. UB40 - Signing Off
For a naff white reggae band there is some brilliant extended jamming on this album.

304. Public Enemy - Fear of a Black Planet
Fierce agitprop rap. Some wild sampling on the record. Yes Flava Flav, however when Chuck D is on the mic it still sounds dangerous and subversive, maybe even more so today than at the time.

305. A Tribe Called Quest - Low End Theory
306. Queen Latifah - All Hail the Queen
307. De La Soul - 3 Feet High and Rising
308. A Tribe Called Quest - People's Instinctive Travels

Queen Latifah sounds amazing. Ladies first is an amazing song and Monie Love has a better flow than most rappers out today. 3 feet is a masterclass in sampling. Tribe sound as fresh today.

For me Native Tongues are the most important movement in hip hop.

309. Kanye West - Yeezus
For me Kanye West is the most self-important bowel movement in hip hop.
-
-

You can keep the errors. Feck ya'll.
I see you're not into progressive rock. :lol:

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
pt.1

310. Slint - Spiderland
Great murky beds and darkly poetic lyrics. Quite brilliant.

311. Bad brains - I Against I
Really liked this, didn't know anything about the band. Has a definite punky vibe but heavy with it. Almost metal at times.

312. The Smiths - Meat Is Murder
Another bag of fine tunes from everybody's second favourite vegetarian right-wing nationalist.

313. Beastie Boys - Licensed to Ill
Preppy punk hip hopping. Crisp production.

314. The Auteurs - New Wave
Nice poppy rock if somewhat disposable.

315. Minor threat - Out Of Step
Quick fresh blast of punchy punk. A perfect length for this type of thing.

316. Zz Top - Eliminator
Overly cheesy hard rock pantomime.

317. Funkadelic - One Nation Under A Groove
The can rock, they can funk. Fantastic. So nice to hear George and co in their natural state, fresh without looping or being rapped over the top of. A great Maggot Brain live recording bonus on the copy I had.

318. Jean-Michelle Jarre - Oxygene
Lush moody magic.

319. 320. Kiss - Destroyer /Aerosmith - Rocks
First Kiss song was good then it all became a mulch. I thought it began to pick back up later on but actually Kiss had ended and Aerosmith had started without me noticing.

321. Rush - 2112
I know it's cheese but really quite liked this. Switched up its sounds all the way through. Nice Melodies, showy guitars.

322. Greatful Dead - American Beauty
Strong jaunty jams.

323. Derek and The Dominos - Layla and Other Assorted Love songs
A lot of music, mostly good ol' blues rock. Layla is a stone cold classic.

324. Issac Hayes - Hot Buttered Soul
Smooth meditative soul-stirring soul.

325. Chicago - Chicage Transit Authority
Rather good jazz, blues and tuneful rock fusion.

326. Iron Butterfly - In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida
Wait a minute, this sounds like dang fine rock and or roll.

327. Small faces - Ogden's Nut Gone Flake
Humourous with some great sounds.

328. Blue cheer - Vincebus Eruptum
Short and sweet hard hitting blues. Lovely rough vocals and clean playing.

329. Sepultura - Roots
Latin guitar licks and heavy guitars. Yes from me.

330. Oasis - Definitely Maybe
First track definitely, the rest maybe not. Is their mixing always so loud and bad or was it just a bum album pressing? It sounded very noisy with little seperating one sound from the next.

331. Pantera - Vulgar Display Of Power
Strong start with the rhythmic guitars over drums and chanting vocals. The nasely American vocals that arrive a few tracks in kind of ruined it a bit.

332. Prince - 1999
It takes a special talent to take something as utterly ridiculous as Little Red Corvette and make it this sublime. One huge hulking car-sex metaphor but it sounds like an angel choir.

333. LL Cool J - Mama Said Knock You Out
Cheery hopstar rap. He was a good rapper.

334. Paul Simon - Hearts and Bones
A few good tracks but altogether it's quite a plain unexciting sound on this album.

tbc

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
335. Suede - Suede
More suede than I would usually care to hear but there is an ethereal quality here and I really got into this album. Far more nuance in the arrangements than I'd have given them credit for.

336. Ella Fitzgerald - Sings the Gershwin Song Book (1959)
This is a long one. It sound great, beautiful voice and swelling strings. Then after about 90 minutes the Gershwin couplets really start to grate. Every contrivance in every line/ feels like it's there to set up a rhyme.

337. Sunday at the Village Vanguard Bill Evans
A nice recording but 82 minutes of the stuff is too much for me.

338. Jazz Samba- Stan Getz / Charlie Byrd
So much fun, lively beats with guitars and sax.

339. Booker T. & the M.G.'S, Green Onions (1962)
Brilliant bunch of tracks that transcends the box frivolous advertising wanks try to place it in.

340. Phil Spector- A Christmas Gift for You
The best collection of Christmas songs. Quite an achievement for it to remain highly listenable throughout, given the notoriously irritating genre of song.

341. Haut De Gamme / Koweït Rive Gauche
Delightful rhythmic music. I haven't any much knowledge about this style other than recognising that it's Very much a style that Paul Simon was tapping on Graceland.

342. Morrissey - Your Arsenal
That guy again. If only he had used his powers for good.

343. Afghan Whigs - Gentlemen

Tuneful, good fun rock.

344. Grateful Dead- Live Dead
Long, though enjoyable, laid back set.

345. Cosmo's Factory (Creedence Clearwater Revival, 1970)
Some enjoyable covers, though it doesn't feel particularly necessary.

346. Deja Vu (Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young, 1970)
Feck me Neil Young is all over this list. I can't hate it and he's going to be the best thing on an ok album.

347. David Crosby - If I Could Only Remember My Name
No Neil Young. No Neil Young.

348. The Who, Live at Leeds (1970)
Good collection of songs, well performed. Couldn't really see what makes it stand out as a live show.

349. Ananda Shankar - Ananda Shankar (1970)
Likeable, with some beautiful sounds but wasn't feeling the covers.

350. Soft Machine - Third
Know the book, know of the band, had no idea what to expect of the sound. A nice bit of experimental jazz rock, kept my interest over its long running time.

351. Traffic - John Barleycorn Must Die
Another Traffic album. Less good or too much of a good thing? because I wasn't digging it.

352. The Stooges - Fun House
Another solid Stooges effort. Always after hearing them I think I should play these guys more often but then don't.

353. Jethro Tull - Aqualung
"take you to a cinema, leave you in a Wimpy bar. Can't argue with that. Much parodied but still sounds good.

354. The Yes Album - Yes
Started fine, enjoyed it for two songs then I'd had enough of them forever.

355. Sticky Fingers (The Rolling Stones, 1971)
Yep it's excellent. Their best collection of songs.

356. L.A. Woman - The Doors
I think this would be my favourite of their albums. I've just always preferred the heavier blues numbers.

357. Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Tarkus
358. Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Pictures at an Exhibition (1972)

Liked some of the songs on Pictures but Tarkus was a bit of a drag.

359 Fela Ransome-Kuti & the Afrika 70 With Ginger Baker - Live!
Some nice drums from Ginger Baker on holiday but those tracks have a novelty feel that breaks up the cohesion of the album. It feels like when the ball boy is given the racket at Wimbledon for a laff.

360. Marquee Moon (Television, 1977)

I liked it and shall return.

361. Kraftwerk - The Man-Machine
Have always loved this album. Hadn't realised there were origin German versions that were meant to be superior, until a friend caught me listening to this and gave me a big lecture on these guys.

362. Pere Ubu - Dub Housing (1978)
Haven't the foggiest what this was but fricking loved it. Wild but smooth arty punk sounds. A keeper.

363. The Adverts : Crossing the Red Sea With the Adverts

Had long wondered about the story behind Gary Gilmore's Eyes, so I looked it up. Interesting and a very enjoyable album.

364. Public Image Limited - Public Image Limited
Like the invention on the first half, it tails off later.

365. AC/DC - Highway to Hell
A good listen. Catchy songs played well, much less annoying than I thought it would be.

366. Germs- GI
Another new to me punk album that I really dug. Has an edge but not harsh in anyway.

367. Blur - Modern Life Is Rubbish
I liked 1 song and disliked the rest of this dreary shit. Britpop standings: Blur 1 - 1 Oasis, both rotten.

368. The Infotainment Scan the Fall
A few interesting numbers and some that straight up bored me. Not the biggest fan but there are other albums I prefer.

369. Sebadoh - Bubble and Scrape
Intriguing, constantly shifting sounds and styles. It certainly kept my interest, though I might not be back again.

370. Portishead - Dummy
Smooth, cool magical music.

371. Ill Communication (Beastie Boys, 1994)
Not my favourite hip hop, I can take or leave most of their stuff but I'll always respect that they came with an original style.

372. Johnny Cash - At San Quentin (1969)
Another fine prison record, though less intimate than Folsom.

373. Sly & the Family Stone, Stand! (1969)
Rebel soul music. Constant funky beds throughout.

374. A-Ha - Hunting High and Low (1985)
A surprisingly grim and dreary record. Take on me is the only thing with uplift.

375. Bon Jovi - Slippery When Wet
Not for me.

376. Steve Earle - Guitar Town

Some likeable bouncy country tracks

377. Depeche Mode - Music for the Masses
Was quite getting into this. Might go back for another listen.

378. Cornershop - When I Was Born for the 7th Time
Interesting eclectic mix of soft rock styles. Nothing that matched the single though.

379. Daft Punk - Homework
Thumpingly pedestrian dance.

380. Basement Jaxx, Remedy (1999)
Dance music with a bit more Verve to it.

381. LCD Soundsystem - Sound of Silver
Frigging great dance album with punky rock elements.

382. Man Utd Chao - Clandestino

An old rediscovery. Fun poppy roots.

383. Blood, Sweat & Tears - Blood, Sweat & Tears (1969)

Some good sounds and songs, I need another listen.

384. John Mayall With Eric Clapton- Blues Breakers
A decent listen, good playing.

385. Winter in America - Gil Scott-Heron

Showcase for his full array of talents. Great voice, songs and spoken word poetry.

386. The Verve - Urban Hymns
Never liked it at the time of release but now, away from their 90s ubiquity, it's easy to see why it took such a hold. It sounds quite masterful.

387. Rain Dogs Tom Waits, 1985)
Dark, dirty eerie Americana underbelly.

388. Donovan - Sunshine Superman (1967)
Likeable folksy hokum.

389. The Pogues- Rum Sodomy and the Lash
Bawdy Epicurean ballads. Love the stuff.

390. Goldfrapp - Seventh Tree
A first listen. Nice, pleasant more 'mature' but missing some of that raw pop energy.

391. The Streets - A Grand Don't Come for Free
Clever songs, a bit On the nose. It replaces some of the musical invention from the first album with conceptual heavy handedness.

392. Bobby Womack - The Poet (1981)
A great soul record. Lovely guitar and vocal performance.

393. Grandmaster Flash - The Message
Funky, disco hip-hop. Fantastic.

394. The Cure - Pornography
Dark and broody ambient pop.

395. Duran Duran - Rio
Couple of good songs but I struggle to judge the music from the naff 80s style, all rendered in scan lines.

396. The Flaming Lips - The Soft Bulletin
397. Lambchop - Nixion

Two surprisingly weak albums from artists I often enjoy. Flat and tuneless.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
316. Zz Top - Eliminator
Overly cheesy hard rock pantomime.
Consider that this was released in 1982 and relentlessly copied by both ZZ Top and other acts for decades afterwards. Gimme All Your Lovin' and I Need You Tonight are the standouts here, though.

319. 320. Kiss - Destroyer /Aerosmith - Rocks
First Kiss song was good then it all became a mulch. I thought it began to pick back up later on but actually Kiss had ended and Aerosmith had started without me noticing.
I have no idea why Destroyer made the list. It's a crap album. Probably because it has Beth on it and that's the song everyone knows. In fairness, it was the moment when Kiss hit it big but it you were to include one of their albums in the list, Alive or Alive II would be the most appropriate because they best captures what Kiss was all about; a good little hard rock band that put on an incredible show. As a big fan of the original line up I can easily say that Destroyer is the worst album from the 1974-82 period.

Minkaro

I know I'm unusual here, but I prefer the Kiss stuff when they went all grungy.

But even beyond that, Paul Stanley and Ace Frehley's solo albums would be my pick to listen to. I don't think Kiss are really a band where I'd listen to full albums - maybe a greatest hits collection instead.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
I'm up to about 400 but deliberately stopped before Christmas, for a break and to catch up on a list of recent releases that I had been wanting to hear. Also it got to the point where the albums were getting harder to find and I realised that I was going to have to plunge in on one of the streaming services. I'll probably get going some time in March though it'll likely be at a slightly slower pace this time. It's still alive though.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
398. Herbie Hancock - Headhunters
A nice start to a new season. Lively arrangements and a bright groove maintained throughout the record.

399. Youssou N'dour - Immigres
Upbeat rhythms with a hint of sweet mournfulness in the voice and guitars.

400. The Mekons - Fear And Whisky
Starts bright and breezy, then down in to dark abstraction, kept me on my toes throughout.

401. Billy Bragg - Talking With The Taxman About Poetry
Nice melodies and picket line crooning, gets a bit too Billy Bragg by the end.

402. Metallica - Masters of Puppets
What can you say, it's Metallica. Powerful guitars, heavy drums yank metal melodrama.

403. Big Black - Atomizer
Interesting, grimy, thudding.

404. Talk Talk - The Colour of Spring
Very nice. Innovative pop with sweet vocals.

405. Anthrax - Among The Living
It sounds like they're trying very hard. Well done them for that.

406. The Klaxons - Myths of the Near Future
Energetic basey rock.

407. Megadeth - Peace Sells
I liked the stripped down nature of it. You can hear every instrument.

408. Mott The Hoople - Mott The Hoople
Ziggy and the band made flesh.

409. REM - Murmur
Pleasant start but monotone and becomes increasingly whiny.

410.Sonic Youth - Evol
Variety of dirty sounds and tempos with interesting vocal structures.

411. The Eurythmics - Sweet Dreams
Dark and eerie, soothing synth pop sounds.

412. Sade - Diamond Life
Sometimes that Sade smoothness can be soporific, but the uplifting tempos really level things out.

413. The Police - SYnchronicity
"Every Breathe You Take" becomes a weirder and weirder cultural artefact with time. I still like The Police.

414.Van Halen - 1984
Anaemically hard rock.

415. Culture Club - Colour By Numbers
Cheery charismatic pop. The soul and disco influences are put to good use.

416. Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
A naff track here and there but his solid exuberant songwriting is hard to deny on this album.

417. Boards of Canada - The Music Has A Right To Children
Chilly electronic soundscapes.

418. Meat Puppets - II
Lively riffs creeping out of the grungy malaise. A bitter-sweetness that is really nice.

419. Run DMC - Run DMC
Sermonic rapping, raw auteur hip hop.

420. U2 - War
I'm past caring for anything U2 related. Not sure if it's more down to Bono being a twat or the insipid songs.

421. Incubus - Make Yourself
Was going to make the obvious joke about the opposite gender baring a more accurate description but to be fairer this simply isn't music for me. That scratching though eek!

422. Nas - Illmatic
Front to back brilliant dense lyricism. Staggering command of language for a teenager.

423. Jimi Hendrix - Axis Bold As Love
Smooth, majestic rock and roll.

BD

I've been listening through this list in burst and starts, and have gotten through just under half at this stage. After each album I put a rating out of 10 beside it, and below are the top 5 and bottom 5 so far.

Top 5 (excluding those which I had heard before, or from artists I already know well):
Dave Brubeck - Time Out
XTC - Apple Venus Volume 1
T-Rex - Slider
Hole - Celebrity Skin
Kid Rock - Devil Without A Case

Bottom 5:
The Who - The Who Sell Out
Linkin Park - Hybrid Theory
The Beach Boys - The Beach Boys Today!
Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band - Trout Mask Replica
Sabu - Palo Conga

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Trout Mask Replica is great, but difficult at the first listen.
I also heavily dislike the Beach Boys. Strangely enough I really like Dennis Wilson‘s solo stuff.
The Kid Rock album is one of the worst pieces of music I’ve ever head the displeasure of listening to.

BD

Trout Mask Replica is great, but difficult at the first listen.
I also heavily dislike the Beach Boys. Strangely enough I really like Dennis Wilson‘s solo stuff.
The Kid Rock album is one of the worst pieces of music I’ve ever head the displeasure of listening to.
:lol: I don't even remember listening to it (was nearly 1 year ago). I'm listening back to a few songs from it now, and it's making me wonder if this is all worth it if that's one of the best I reckon I've heard from 400+ albums. It's not terrible, but it's grim if that's the best I can find. Must've been on a high that day.

My ratings are heavily dependent on my mood at the time. I'm sure the The Who album isn't so bad, but I gave it a 2/10 (next lowest is 4/10) - it can't possibly be that much worse than some of the shite I've listened to.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
:lol: I don't even remember listening to it (was nearly 1 year ago). I'm listening back to a few songs from it now, and it's making me wonder if this is all worth it if that's one of the best I reckon I've heard from 400+ albums. It's not terrible, but it's grim if that's the best I can find. Must've been on a high that day.

My ratings are heavily dependent on my mood at the time. I'm sure the The Who album isn't so bad, but I gave it a 2/10 (next lowest is 4/10) - it can't possibly be that much worse than some of the shite I've listened to.
It’s so bad. I don’t even know how someone would turn Kid Rock into a parody. It’s not possible to make fun of his music. It’s already as bad as it gets. He’s only singing about whiskey, being a cowboy and women. I think it’s the only album I gave only two stars to.
But there’s enough great records on the list to make up for the bad ones. A lot of which I’d never have discovered otherwise. Listening to most of it on Spotify, the best thing was to just add every single song that sounded somewhat good to my library. Ever since, I „rediscover“ all those songs I only listened to once. The second time is often much better. The songs also come as more of a surprise to me, because I’m not concentrating as much. So while I’m done with the list for a while now, it’s still providing me with something new from time to time.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
413. The Police - SYnchronicity
"Every Breathe You Take" becomes a weirder and weirder cultural artefact with time. I still like The Police.
The song is basically a joke. It's incredible to me that some people hear those lyrics and think it's a love song that they should play their wedding.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
424. Skunk Anaise Post Orgasmic Chill
Plays hard but with soft melodic edges. I knew the famous hit but the album presents a greater depth, lyrically and musically, than I was Expecting.

425. The Virgin Suicides (Air, 2000)
A bit draggy and dreary. works well enough with the images though.

426. Jeff Beck Truth
Competent white blues wailing.

427. Mothers of Invention: We're Only in It for the Money
Annoying bits in with some sonic magic.

428. Neil Young, Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere (1969)
Fine but it's just Neil Young again. I refuse to comment on any more of him, particularly as all the albums have been in a similar vein.

429. Miles Davis, in a Silent Way (1969)
Short and sweet ethereal salve. Lovely.

430. Creedence Clearwater Revival - Bayou Country
Nothing particularly outstanding but well rendered songs.

431. The Pretty Things - S.F. Sorrow
Very Beatlesy and I don't feel the need for anymore Beatles in my life.

432. The Young Rascals - Groovin' (1967)
Quite sickly sweet in places but with a soul kick to it.

433. Boston - Boston
Corny happy rock, fairly listenable.

434. Brian Eno - Before and After Science
Lovely. I Knew it from the soundtrack of The Son's Room, where it plays as a perfect accompaniment.

435. Weather Report - Heave Weather
Lacking in grit and was putting me to sleep. Side 2 picks up with some latin influences.

436. The Clash - The Clash
Iconic, musical superstar punk, and therin lies the contradiction.

437. Wire - Pink Flag
Left no lasting impression.

438. Thin Lizzy - Live and Dangerous
Has a free form, improvisational quality that I liked.

439. The Cars - The Cars
Likeable upbeat pop rock.

440. The Incredible Bongo Band - Bongo Rock
Fun bongo based covers and what more can you say about bongo Apache? It replaced rock and roll.

441.Roxy Music - For your Pleasure
Dark, broody, silly pop fun.

442. Faust - Faust IV
Tuneful, experimental a little bit wanky but good.

443. 444. 445. 446. Elvis Costello - My aim is true, This Years Model, Armed forces, Imperial Bedroom
4 good albums, Model being the pick of the bunch. There's a great diversity of sound and artistic progression between the albums.

447. 448. Elvis Costello - Brutal Youth, Blood and Chocolate
Not as good as the previous albums. A couple of good ones but quite tepid and cruddy. The over-emoting mannerisms only work with the rockier stuff.

449. Kraftwerk - Autobahn
Yep, another great one from ze Germans.

450. Beauty and the Beat- The Go Go's
Brilliant album of pop beats and vocals.

451. Gun Club - Fire of Love
Lovely dark and grimy arrangements contrasting with sweet feminine vocals. Apparantly JLP is problematic.

452.John Martyn - SOlid Air
Lovely collection of folk ballads.

453.Hail To The Theif
I really liked this one. Still quite dirgy but it's a Thom Yorke wailing dirge rather than guitar bandy dirge.

454.Dexy's Midnight Runners - Don't Stand Me Down
Good sounds, raspy horns and bouncy rock beats.

455. LCD Soundsystem - American Dream
Sweet and sorrow electro rock, bringing shine to the sometimes sombre subject matter.

456. John Cale - Paris 1919
All a bit dreary. The opening track Child's Christmas in Wales really sets the mood, I mean is there anything more grim? @SteveJ

457. Can - Future Days
Very modern sounding, in that happy to clash all types of styles and sounds together way, electronic and traditional.

458. Slits
Love the slits. Bitey, impassioned, musical. Grapevine is a great cover.

459. Marianne Faithful
Fierce, raw comanding vocals and lively accompanyment.

460. lOU Reed - Berlin
Lovely collection of songs. I like the incongruity of the delicate arrangements and the harrowing story.

461. The Monks - Black Monk Time
A rollicking, characterful time.

462. Bert Jansch - Bert Jansch
Bleak but with moments of sweetness and soul.

463.BB King - Live at the Regal
Lovely loud, raspy big band blues

464.The Beach Boys - Today
It is the most white bread entitled music but it sounds awesome.

465. Jerry Lee Lewis - Live at the Star Club Hamburg
Nice rhythm and blues live set from a chief exponent of the genre.

466. The Waterboys - Fisherman's Blues
Good spirited, rocky folk jams. Really like it.

467. Fishbone - Truth and Soul
Poppy rocky soul, vivid lyrics.

468. Buck Owens - Tiger By The Tail
Howdy doody jive.

469. Fiona Apple - Tidal
Talented but becomes increasingly annoying the more I hear of her. So it was quite bad hearing this so soon off the back of playing Fetch The Bolt

Cutters. It's that self aware quikiness that begins to grate.

470. The Rolling Stones - The Rolling Stones
Bluseist of white boy blues rock.

471.Dr John - Gris-Gris
Greasy, grimy swamp psychedelia.

472. The Who - Tommy
First time hearing the whole thing. Thought it would have been more fun and adventurous. Pretty stodgy stuff.

473. 474. Kings Of Leon - Youth and Young Manhood, Aha Shake
Very nice gruff, swagger rock with raw, trashy vocals. I think I prefer the later album.

475. Big Brother and the Holding Company, Cheap Thrills (1968)
Love the trashy cover, love the trashy rock and searing vocal trash.

476. James Taylor- Sweet Baby James
Nice, calming album with some nice guitar melodies.

477. Alice Cooper - Billion Dollar Babies
Good baroque-horror panto. Very listenable.

478. Frank Sinatra - Songs For Swinging Lovers
lovely soft and sweet swing numbers.

479. Jacques Brel - Olympia 64
Smooth great voiced frenchy. Very clean recording. Breif and brill.

480. Bjork - Debut
Much of it still sounds vibrant and original. Those rudimentary dance beats though really show their age.

481. Marvin Gaye - Let's Get It On
sickeningly Smooth, undenyable brilliance.

482. The Everly Brothers - A Date With The Everly Brothers
Super fun, wholesome cheese.

483. Sam Cooke - Live At The Harlem Square Club
Great performance, sensational voice and you can feel the sense of excitement captured on the record. A smash.

484. Solomon Burke - Rock & Soul
Mild rock and roll love songs.

485. The Mother's Of Invention - Freak Out!
It sounds annoying and masturbatory, without the interesting melodic invention of the previous album.

486. Aretha Franklin - I Never Loved A Man The Way I Loved You
Beautiful raspy vocals, some great harmonies. Fine album

487. Coldplay - A Rush of Cold Blood To The Head
Fine pop rock, easy catchy numbers. Nowt wrong with them in moderation.

488. Todd Rundgren - A Wizard / a True Star
Wild display of rock styles, sometimes good sometimes not sometimes sometimes arrogant.

489. Ray Charles - Genius of Ray Charles
Chill swing, heartfelt, empotional, I felt it.

490. Waylon Jennings - Honky Tonk Heroes (1973)
Cowboy country, heartfelt, empotional, I felt nothing.

491.Aimee Mann - Whatever
Cutesy pop but with a dash of soul.

492. Paul Weller - Wild Wood
It's a good one. Emotive guitars and poetic lyricism.

493. Nirvana - In Utero
Pretty good, easy to see the charismatic charm.

494. Alice in chains - Dirt
Angsty music for suburban yanks. Usually I'd care not for it but my mood allowed it.

495. Ministry - Psalm 69
Nice, mesmerising rhythms.

496. Siritualized - Laser Guided Melodies
Enjoyable Wistful ambiance.

497. Disposable Heroes - Hypocrisy Is the Greatest Luxury
Conscious, politically pungent. Tough creative beats.

498. Liz phair - Exile In Guyville
Liked it, has an animal collective Vibe. Love the Caustic lyrics

499. U2 - Achtung Baby
U2wats. One is fine song though, the Cash version.

500. Metallica - Metallica
Feel the same as with their previous album on the list.

501. Rage Against The Machine - Rage Against The Machine
Sounds good with a Chuck D political spirit, I dig.

502. The Sabres of Paradise - Haunted Dancehall
Electronic avante garde, sounds brand new. The blips and bloops are very similar to certain noisey electro acts that have released recently.

503. Soundgarden - Superunknown
Not really feeling the emo tone of the whole shebang.

504. The Offspring - Smash
Enjoyed the enthusiasm even when the musical range flagged.

505. Blur - Park Life
Well constructed pop but I had forgetten just what insufferable wankers they are.

506. Orbital - 2
Very chill session of zone out music.

507. Jeru the Damaja - The Sun Rises in the East
Grimey rugged raps and beats.

508. Morrissey - Vauxhall and I
A rather dreary affair, maybe it's Morrissey fatigue.

509. TLC - Crazysexycool
Very likeable rnb outfit, left eye's versatility elevated them above the rest of the pack.

510. Drive like Jehu - Yank Crime
High energy grime rock but a touch too shouty for me.

511. Paul Revere and the Raiders - Midnight Ride
Sweet, old school rock and roll jams.

512. The White Stripes - WHite Blood Cells
Amazing album, coarse, vibrant, high quality blues rock.

513. Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral
A bit of a headache, I was feeling fragile
. Hurt and a couple of others are undeniable though.

514.Nirvana - Unplugged MTV New York
The best they ever sounded. Striped down mellow superlative.

515. Orbital - Snivilisation
Decent, soothing lullaby electro.

516. Suede - Dog Man Star
Acceptable, but all quite samey rock.

517. Green Day - Dookie
High energy teen rock not my thing.

518. Massive Attack - Protection
Another interesting, cooly composed electro, appropriating a wide range of musical styles.

519. Yes - Close to the Edge
Still a no from me.

520. 521. Deep Purple - Machine Head, Made In Japan
I liked these, particularly the live album. Passionate, Clean sound.

522. Elis Regina - Vento De Maio (1985)
Crystal vocals and laidback accompaniment.

523. The Only Ones - The Only Ones
Had the feeling I'd already played this whilst listening to it, though the records don't seem to suggest so. Anyway it was good and recognisable some

how.

524. Pere Ubu: The Modern Dance
Harsh and noisy but with a great energy to it.

525. Holger Czukay - Movies (1979)
Wave of funky sounds and rhythms

526. The Fall - Live At The Witch Trials
Great, with each song presenting a fresh poetic and musically idea.

527. Joy Division - Closer
A darkly evocative musical.

528. War - The World Is a Ghetto
Stirring gospel elements, soulful music.

529. Alice Cooper - Schools Out
Fun rock dress up, West Side Strory vibes

530. Japan - Quiet Life
Nice, elaborate rock orchestration.

531. Judas Priest - British STeel
A good start. Can be hard to discern the genre defining from the generic.

532. Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures
Another enjoyable JD. Dark, seedy and seductive.

533. AC/DC - Back in Black
Tuneful metal collection.

534. T Rex - The Slider
Begins as a distinctive rock piece before becoming repetetive.

535. Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp A Butterfly
THis is where he lost me. A lot of annoying mannerisms and self importance. It does have a few good songs though.

536. Laura Nyro - Eli and the Thirteenth Confession
Skipping soul numbers. Great voice and production.

537. Francis Albert Sinatra & Antonio Carlos Jobim
Some very cool stuff here, upbeat rhythms complimenting the smooth vocals.

538. Tom Waits - Heartattack and Vine (1980)
Greasy, grimy croaky blues.

539. ABC - The Lexicon of Love
Great funky-disco baselines.

540. The Soft Boys - Underwater Moonlight
Catchy guitar hooks and stark lyrics.

541. Circle Jerks - Group Sex
Another enjoyable short and punchy punk album. I never realised I was so in to this stuff.

542. Flamin' Groovies - Teenage Head
Good melodic vibes from this one.

543. Gene Clark - White Light (1971)
Pleasant, gentle, wistful.

544. John Prine - John Prine
Raw cynical lyrics over yankee doodle melodies. A trip.

545. Milton Nascimento E Lô Borges - Clube Da Esquina
It was a fun start with fresh percussive rhythms, then I zoned out.

546. Nick Drake, Five Leaves Left (1969)
It's not as much of a mystery to me why he never broke during his life time, as it seems to be to everyone else. It's good stuff but heavy, heavy to the

point of wearisome at times.

547. Elvis Presley - From Elvis in Memphis (1969)
Some good, some annoying, all Elvis mannerisms.

548. Quicksilver Messenger Service- Happy Trails
Good blues riffs, though it's yet another album with Bo Diddley all over it.

549. MC5, Kick Out the Jams (1969)
Noisey, flat live recording. I'm sure it sounded better being there.

550. Isaac Hayes - Shaft: Music From the Soundtrack
More soul royalty scoring exploitation cinema. What a time that was.

551. The Faces - A Nod Is as Good as a Wink... to a Blind Horse
Sparky but overstuffed with its organs, harmonicas, wailing guitars and strained vocals.

552. Rolling Stones - Exile on Main Street
Has a slightly annoying pastiche quality but it's fine.

553. Lynyrd Skynyrd - (Pronounced leh-'nerd 'Skin-'nerd)
Jolly and rocky.

554. Inspiration Information (Shuggie Otis, 1974)
Cool and funky bells, a chill experience.

555. Eric Clapton 461 Ocean Boulevard
Confirmed Bo Diddley beat sighting. It's ok but Sheriff has been neutered

556. Richard and Linda Thompson : I Want to See the Bright Lights Tonight
Sweet evocative lyrics and homely vocals.

557. Keith Jarrett - The Köln Concert
Pleasant piano drowned out by crashy rock shit.

558. Aerosmith - Toys in the Attic
Decent collection of 90s jams.

559. X-Ray Spex - Germ Free Adolescents
delightful melodic scratchy pop punk.

560. The Specials - More Specials
Lively horns and bubbling ska beats. Satisfying for a while.

561. Steely Dan - Countdown to Ecstasy
Jangly and boring.

562. ZZ Top : Tres Hombres.
More likeable blues rock.

563. Stan Getz & Joao Gilberto - Getz/Gilberto
Suave french silkiness.

564. If You Can Believe Your Eyes and Ears- The Mamas & the Papa
Jovial pop, nice harmonies and good vocal contrasts.

565. 566. Mudhoney - Superfuzz Bigmuff, Every Good Boy Deserves Fudge
Love the film, love the albums. Raw, hard cool.

567. Surfer Rosa (Pixies, 1988)
Biting guitars, wild vocals, catchy weird, wondewrful.

568. Metallica - ...And Justice for All
Precise, archetypal metal, very good and very boring.

569. 570. Dinosaur Jr. - Bug (1988),You're Living All Over Me
I wasn't big in to either of these albums. I found them pedestrian.

571. Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation
Gritty, good with note worthy female vocals.

572. Dwight Yoakam - Buenas Noches From a Lonely Room
Fine, fiddle heavy country.

573. Jane's Addiction - Nothing's Shocking
It was half decent but a little bland around the edges.

574. Morrissey - Viva Hate
Pompous twat made another decent album.

575. MC Solar- Qui Seme Le Vent Recolte Le Tempo
Cool, versatile flow, though it's frustrating to only understand part of the lyrics.

576. Red Hot Chili Peppers - Blood Sugar Sex Magik
The sometimes acceptable face of douche rock.

577. Ice T - O.G. Original Gangster
What he lacks in rhyming skill he makes up for with bravado, lyrical clarity and gravitas. Really nice simple jazzy loops.

578. Pearl Jam - Ten
Standard dull yank rock fare.

579. Fugazi - Repeater
Good thumping agitation music.

580. The La's, the La's (1990)
Much more than "There She Goes" an inventive, vibrant pop music.

581. Black Crowes - Shake Your Money Maker
Enjoyable light rock jams

582. Depeche Mode - Violator (1990)
Lovely dark romanticism.

583. Megadeth - Rust in Peace
Irritating, wailing music.

584. Happy Mondays - Pills N Thrills and Bellyaches
Good spirited album with cheery songs.

585. Sinead O'Connor - I Do Not Want What I Haven't Got
Over the top, melodramatic.

586. Sonic Youth - Goo
Quick blast of gritty, ascerbic music with a dash of tunefulness.

587. The Smiths - Strangeways, Here We Come
feck Morrissey and his lush melodies.

588. Everything but the Girl - Idlewild (1988)
Cute melodic ballads.

589. Living Colour - Vivid
Mawkish, insipid, aged.

590. Faith No More - The Real Thing
Annoying nasaly vocals and brash noisy beats.

591. Madonna - Like a Prayer
Some cheese, some irresistable pop bangers.

592. Firehose - Fromohio (1989)
Fairly standard West coast sound.

593. The Young Gods - L'eau Rouge (1989)
Rustic urchin music.

594. Baaba Maal & Mansour Seck - Djam Leelii (1989)
Delightful, enchanting sounds and rhythms.

595. Disintegration (The Cure, 1989)
Warm, soothing, has aged better then we thought it would.

596. Coldcut What's That Noise?
Cheesy hiphop dubtape, Queen Latifah is the high point.

597. Queen - A Night at the Opera
Frivolous, music hall operatics.

598. Willie Nelson- Red Headed Stranger
Nice brief country collection.

599. Jorge Ben - África Brasil
Fierce and frenetic frollicking.

600. Parliament- Mothership Connection
Kinky comedic with baselines for days. Was this the first rap skit?

601. Bob Marley And The Wailers - Catch a Firre
The best they ever sounded. Fierce and vital rock and roll reggae. The unreleased Jamaican version has added feistiness.

602. Beck - Odelay
It has good hooks but there I things that don't sound so good years later. Some of the rapping and distortion effects sound lame.

603. Frampton Comes Alive! (Peter Frampton, 1976)
A lot of music, mostly good, Nice guitar work.

604. Lust for Life (Iggy Pop, 1977)
Attitudinous rock but with some welcome mellow edges.

605. Willie Colón & Rubén Blades - Siembra (1978)
Playful latin soul, big band, Leonard Bernstein influences.

606. Haircut One Hundred - Pelican West (1982)
Has a certain pop charm, that I will never try again.

607. Venom - Black Metal
Not an hour of this stuff please. Enjoyably percussive, on the nose lyrics.

608. Violent Femmes - Violent Femmes
Great album. Cute, funny poetic lyrics.

609. 610. Def Leppard - Pyromania, Hysteria
Good couple containing tuneful guitars and vocals.

611. Sisters of Mercy : Floodland.
Dark eerie atmos, brooding baselines, love it.

612. George Michael - Faith
Pleasant nostalgia, played on a warped cassette for full retro authenticity.

613. Hüsker Dü - Warehouse: Songs and Stories
Typical middle American pop rock. REMesque.

614. Astor Piazzolla & Gary Burton - The New Tango - Recorded at the Montreux Festival (1987)
Choppy recording, good bits and elevator music bits.

615. Napalm Death -- "Scum"
Hypnotic punk quality to beat you into a trance. Great.

616. Sonic Youth - Sister
A bit dry and dreary for my tastes but some subtleties.

617. Pet Shop Boys - Actually
Dark twisted ephemeral album, with some wild lyrics.

618. Introducing the Hardline According to Terence Trent D'Arby
Funky pop sounds but can't understand its significance to have made it on the list.

619. Otis Redding - Otis Blue: Otis Redding Sings Soul
Very cool classic. Smooth, moving sublime.

620. Echo and the Bunnymen - Porcupine
High energy pop, complimented by seedy vocals.

621. The Replacements - Let It Be
Cheerfully bouncy simple songs.

622. New Order - Low-Life
Deep moody music beds, rich textured songs.

623. Dolly Parton - Linda Ronstadt - Emmylou Harrys - Trio (1987)
Nice harmonies sappy arrangements, takes itself too seriously. A case of diminishing returns. 3 superstars is too much.

624. Bob Marley and the Wailers - Natty Dread
A solid slice of roots rock. It's not as hard hitting as some of the albums but the light breezy arrangements make it a very nice listen.

625. Black Flag - Damaged
I strugled with this one. FOund it dull and repetitive.

626. Loretta Lynn - Dont come home a drinkin album
Starts off as women pining for their deadbeat partners, then "shoe goes on the other foot offers a nice reversal". lovely voice.

627. The Velvet Underground - White Light/White Heat
Not as immediately sonically pleasing as previous albums but the seedy invention and humour are all there.

628. Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness
Some gentle easy listening stuff. Too long though.

629. (What's the Story) Morning Glory? by Oasis
Simple but we'll structured songs. Not my thing but hohum

630. Goldie - Timeless
Decent d&b selection. No cohesive vision to the album.

631. Dr. Octagon - Dr. Octagonecologyst (1996)
Mad dense lyrics, not so much dropping science as smearing it over the walls. Very interesting.

632. Tortoise - Millions Now Living Will Never Die
Decent relaxing ambient music. A tad dull.

633. Cardigans First Band on the Moon
Sweet music box chiming and angelic vocal charm, bit sickly also.

634. Marilyn Manson - Antichrist Superstar
Made up of traditional pop standards, rather Conservative all things considered. Not the transgressive artist we wer lead to believe but quite

listenable.

635. The Rolling STones - Beggars Banquet
Some cracking roots influenced song. One of their best.

636. Foo Fighters - Foo Fighters
Found it all very pale and indistinctive.

637. Blur - Blur
Again it's not my bag but there are definitely a few hits here that I will happily listen to.

638. Sleater-Kinney- Dig Me Out
Give me some rough pissy female vocals over some pop guitar strumming and I'm happy.

639. Mariah Carey-Butterfly
Can't deny the talent but have never liked the mushy ballads. Give her a tempo though and I can get with it.

640. Reprazent and Roni Size - New Forms
Fiery drums with soulful vocals

641. Elliott Smith - Either/Or
A casual fan but hadn't heard this. Nicely written rock folky numbers.

642. System of a Down-System of a Down
Loud and crashy, a few tuneful things. Not terrible overall.

643. Korn - Follow the Leader
Sounds crap, worst excesses of whiney fragile masculinity, ignorant, offensive, awful.

644. Os Mutantes - Os Mutantes
WIld and experimental, psychadelic and a little irritating.

645. The Temptations - All Directions
Great album. Raw powerful and pointed lyrics with smooth as silk playing.

646. STevie Wonder - Talking Book
Good sounds a touch too sappy in places.

647. Sister Sledge - We are Family
If you've never heard this album before then you've still heard this album. hiphop, dance music, films advertising it's everywhere. So it's refreshing to

hear the album as a singular piece of music. It's amazing for as long as you can divorce it from a Harvester advert.

648. Shack - H.M.S. Fable
Good gentle melodies.

649. U2- All That You Can't Leave Behind
Light and bright and good for them.

650. Mike Ladd: Welcome to the Afterfuture
Funky abstract lyrics and beats

651. Linkin Park - Hybrid Theory
Bad rhyming, lame popu hooks. Angry mom took away my playstation vibe.

652. 653. Steely Dan - Can't Buy a Thrill, Pretzel Logic
A couple of albums that were worth a playthrough. A few catchy tunes here and there, though I don't feel an urge to delve any deeper.

654. Queen - Sheer Heart Attack.
Hit and miss album. Some well arranged, lively numbers amidst the dross.

655. The Human League - Dare
Brief pop-synth barage that I could nod my head to.

656. Rush - Moving Pictures (1981)
Yeah I can't get with this one. Very boring.

657. 658. Genesis - The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway, Selling England by the Pound
With Peter Gabriel still about it's going to turn out decent at least. Interesting musical experimentation.

659. Siouxsie and the Banshees - The Scream
dirty guitars and gorgeous unhinged pop vocals.

660. The Crusaders - Street Life
Brilliant, smooth soul vocals on the opening track, and sharp baselines and jazzy horns on everything else.

661. Tangerine Dream - Phaedra
Wild stream of icy electro.

662. Brian Eno - Another Green World
Interesting and experimental as always but nothing really grabbed me as something I need to return to.

663. New Order - Technique
Loud, brash entertaining pop.

664. Brian Eno - Here Come the Warm Jets
That guy again. Angry and jarring noises meshed with more mellow sounds.

665. Minutemen - Double Nickels on the Dime
Harsh and conforontational rock creativity. Not bad at all.

666. The Yardbirds - Roger the Engineer
Nice and simple trippy hippie rock.

667. Shivkumar Sharma - Call of the Valley
Very enjoyable classical Indian strings and drums.

668. Bad Company - Bad Company
crisp, clear down the middle blues rock and roll.

669. The Sensational Alex Harvey Band - Next
Good bunch of inventive rock jams.

670. Simple Minds-New Gold Dream
Jangly synthy archetypal new wave.

671. The Psychedelic Furs - Talk Talk Talk
Didn't leave much of an impression. Lively and competent.

672. Slade - Slayed
It's the it's Christmas man. The music is ok but it'll always sound like tinsel and pine.

673. t Rex - Electric Warrior
I really liked these fresh glam sounds.

674. SUper Furry Animals - Rings Around The World
Likeable light and cheery though I think they would quickly drive me insane with their smiley tunes.

675. Melody A.M. (Röyksopp, 2001)
Sounds great. Another album plundered by depraved artless ad agencies.

676. Ravi Shankar - The Sounds of India
Lovely. Loved the instructionals at the beginning of each section. A real insight into a music I love to hear but have little educational or cultural

grip on. Ravi explaining that It's not like jazz certainly curbed that assumption.

677. 678. Roxy Music - Roxy Music, Country Life
Sharp melodic hooks. Country life has the more musical commitment but lacks the madder theatrics.

679. 680. 681. 682. 683. The Byrds - Mr. Tambourine Man, Fifth Dimension, Younger Than Yesterday, The Notorious Byrd Brothers, Sweetheart of the Rodeo

(1968)
Good songwriting good playing maybe not 6 albums worthy.Wasn't feeling the honky tonk guitars on Rodeo.

684. Doves - Lost Souls
Pretty ok rock pop bombast.

685. Drive by Truckers - Southern Rock Opera
A great, wrong footing journey through southern rock. Sounds brilliant, with insightful lyrics.

686. 687. Fairport Convention - Unhalfbricking, Liege & Lief
Lovely, grimey trad folk sounds.

688. The Beta Band - Hot Shots II
Spooky pleasant melodies, and as hooky as the meme suggests.

689. Gotan Project, La Revancha Del Tango
Fun experimental dance pop.

690. The Jimi Hendrix Experience, Electric Ladyland
Spicey guitars funky soulful rock. Watchtower still sounds incredible no matter how often it's played.

691. Le Tigre - Le Tigre
Punky doo-wop art rock.

692. Travis Man Who
Pedestrian brit poppy with some very weak lyrics but it's catchy.

693. Hole - Celebrity Skin
Shouty rock chick chic, a bit annoying.

694. Lucinda Williams- Car Wheels on a Gravel Road
Gritty poppy vibe country. I could play Gravel Road over and over again, so I did.

695. The Coral - The Coral
Grimey guitars backing wild vocals. Pretty good.

696. Chic - Risque
Sultry soul disco. Good times.

697. Cheap Trick - At Budoken
ok live rock album.

698. The Specials - The Specials
Nice swinging wide boy ska.

699. Radiohead - Amnesiac
I liked it more than some of theirs, less than others.

700. Gorillaz - Gorillaz
An uninspired dreary gimmick

701. Hives Your New Favourite Band
Rough vibrant rock songs.

702. Christina Aguilera - Stripped
Mindless warbling pop dreck.

703. Norah Jones - Come Away With Me
Yes it's mommy jazz but it has a couple of quite pleasant moments.

704. Calexico Feast of Wire
likeable swinging folky jive.

705. Lightning Bolt - Wonderful Rainbow (2003)
Artful, rhythmic noise rock. I need to check out some more from them.

706. The Darkness - Permission to Land
Pretty good fun pop metal panto.

707. Portishead - Third
Fecking great. I hadn't realised that Portishead were quite like this. Haunting and beautiful spectral music.

708. The Rolling Stones - Aftermath (1966)
Stripped down Stones is all good to me.

709. Gary Numan - The Pleasure Principle (1979)
Richly textured haunting synths.

710. The Cure - Seventeen Seconds
Murky romanticism and strong baselines.

711. Sex Packets (1990) - Digital Underground
old school lo-fi hip hop with a good sense of humour.

712. Only by the Night- Kings of Leon
Cleaner than the other albums, still has a nice groove to it but the grime was a lot of the appeal previously.

713. My Bloody Valentine, M B V (2013)
A bit fuzzy and nondescript. Sparks into life a few times but I think I missed this one.

714. Beach House - Teen Dream
Weeping guitar licks and mellow vocals.

715. The Good, the Bad & the Queen - The Good, the Bad & the Queen
For all the good arrangements I can't get past the enduring smugness and his incessantly wanky voice.

716. John Grant - Queen of Denmark
Cool melancholic alt country humour.

717. The Cramps : The Songs the Lord Taught Us
A little over the top. I liked the more garage bandy tracks.

718. ABBA - The Visitors
Sweet, oneiric pop. Many songs I hadn't heard, which was a nice surprise, given how their most popular songs have taken on a somewhat dismissive kitch

value.

719. Tom TOm CLub
fun and witty verbally inventive pop

720. Franz Ferdinand - Franz Ferdinand
Good pop rock guitar bombast.

721. Ali Farka Touré - Savane
Plucking good guitars and rhythms

722. Richard Hawley Coles Corner
Smooth throwback old timey songs.

723. Muse - Black Holes and Revelations
I know they have devoted fans and are hated by Radiohead stans so I'll simply say it missed me.

724. Brian Wilson - Smile
Ups and downs but overall a good one.

725.The Damned - Machine Gun Etiquette
Another for the punk keepers. Smash it up is just great.

726. Adam and the Ants: Kings of the Wild Frontier
I guess it's quite fun for a while but it becomes repetetive and dress up annoying.

727. Kelela - Take Me Apart
hated the scarring vocal effects and over emoting.

728. FKA Twigs - LP1
Big portentous production but it's a monotonous record that takes itself too seriously. Given she's from the soc media era I was expecting something more

silly and disposable. That would probably have been preferable.

729. Janelle Monáe - The Archandroid
Energetic Groovy beats and interesting vocal arrangements.

730. The National - High Violet
Quite liked the bold arrangements but have never been quite sure of the voice.

731. Frank Ocean - Channel Orange
It was ok, the sound is a bit bland and the vocal filters annoying.

732. Dagmar Krause - Tank Battles
Weird wonderful avant garde music hall pastiche

733. Jane Weaver - Modern Kosmology
Nice dreamy vocals and some charming Lo fi electronic beats

734. The War on Drugs - Lost in the Dream
Catchy hooks, high energy with a Springsteen vibe.

735.Scissor Sisters - Scissor Sister
Glitzy irreverent glam pop fun. Pink Floyd fans deserve the kick to the uncomfortably numbs.

736. Siouxsie and the Banshees - Juju
Cool, rough punky pop.

737. Heaven 17 - Penthouse and Pavement
Has a spritely bounce in contrast to the rigid vocal tracks.

738. Bauhaus - Mask
Good album. It seems they invented The Streets.

739. Scott Walker - Scott 2
Not my jam but can recognise the talent.

740. The Jam - Sound Affects
Very nice lively modding with some great chanting choruses.

741. Pretenders - Pretenders
Love the voice and playing, love the feck-you-feminist vibe. One of the great debuts.

742. X- Wild Gift
Good vibe, vocals, guitars.

743. The Zombies, Odessey and Oracle
Brilliant tuneful rock and roll. A match for the beatles during the era.

744. Slayer - Reign in Blood
Good sounds bad lyrics.

745. Bob Marley and the Wailers - Exodus
Most accessible, melodic and sweet album of theirs. I prefer the grittier but this is great too.

746. Nevermind (Nirvana, 1991)
Exceptional album of a rock genre I tend to avoid.

747. R.E.M. - Automatic for the People
Not a huge fan overall but have always thought this a great album. Shows great versatility in the song structures and it has bold ideas that it lands.

748. Aretha Franklin, Lady Soul (1968)
Just the best, beautiful soulful.

749. Outkast - Stankonia
Has the hits but lacks the musical cohesion of Aquemini and particularly ATliens

750. Pink Floyd - 'Dark Side of the Moon'
Yep, probably their best, I can vibe.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
751. Blondie - Parallel Lines
Irresistible rocky pop classic.

752. Limp Bizkit - Chocolate Starfish and the Hot Dog Flavored Water
Simplistic edgy boy music. Not without a few bits of tunefulness but it's contrived and cynically constructed. Of its time.

753. Tina Turner Private Dancer
Very 80s with its guitars and clangy drums but funky and soulful with it. Front loaded with cracking tracks. Might have been queen is my pick.

754.755. Eminem - The Slim Shady LP, Marshall Mathers - Eminem
Conceptually brilliant, depraved, caustic surreal theatre, in the Burrows tradition.

756. The Score- The Fugees [1996]
Great beats Lauryn Hill was a virtuoso, KMS is a dynamite cover. Not so much No Woman No Cry.

757. Trans-Europe Express (Kraftwerk, 1977)
Their best album.

758. Nitin Sawhney Beyond Skin
Stylish mashup of "world music" influences.

759. 760. Paul'S Boutique (The Beastie Boys, 1989) It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back (Public Enemy, 1988)
Quite a trip playing these back to back. Although flava flav offers some points of agreement.

761. The Chronic (Dr. Dre, 1992)
Great billboard for Snoop. They must mention his name 30 odd times.

762. Red Hot Chili Peppers - Californication
Don't much like rhcp but I much like some of these melodies.

763. Tears for Fears - Songs From the Big Chair
Bright expressive pop.

764. Al Green - Let's Stay Together
As smooth as anyone that ever did it.

765. Hawkwind - Space Ritual (1973)
Out there cosmological stream of consciousness. Over smooth rock beds.

766. David Byrne & Brian Eno - My Life in the Bush of Ghosts
Nice creative, relaxing ambience.

767. Soft Cell - Non-Stop Erotic Cabaret
Wild, scuzzy pop erotica. Sex Dwarf indeed.

768. Malcolm Mclaren - Duck Rock
I mean it's pretty great. If it's good enough for Public Enemy then count me in.

769. Abraxas (Santana, 1970)
Groovy Latin rhythms and electrifying guitar.

770. Slipknot - Slipknot
Why does it have to be so long. Can't ever take them seriously with the record scratching and the pop rock vocals that will crop up now and then amongst

the growling.

771. Harry Nilsson - Nilsson Schmilsson
Love the album. Coconut is one of my all time favourites, specifically the Muppet version.

772. The Doors - The Doors
Seedy psychedelic blues rock

773. Billy Joel - The Stranger
Good rag rock songwriting.

774.775. Missy "Misdemeanor" Elliott- Supa Dupa Fly, Under Construction
Pretty solid though the Timberland sound is dated and there are some offly regressive ideas here, with the shaming of loose ladies and the dismissal of

anyone with less money than Missy.

776. Jurassic 5 - Power in Numbers
Lovely traditional break beats and tight rhyming.

777. Ghostface Killah - Fishscale
Immaculate flow.

778. Anita Baker - Rapture
Breif, enjoyable pop soul album.

779. R.E.M. - Document
A tad tame and uninteresting. It's no automatic for the people.

780.The Cult : Electric.
Didn't care to much for it until they started playing The Rolling Stones' "start me up" midway through. Then when it stopped so did my interest.

781. 782. Undertones - The Undertones, Hypnotised
Excellent enthusiastic rock pop.

783. George Harrison - All Things Must Pass
Some real high peaks, a bit of filler and a little too long.

784. Raw Power (Iggy and the Stooges, 1973)
More Raw and ruggedness.

785. Bruce Springsteen – Nebraska
Love the low key nature of the album. Some fine songwriting.

786. Van Morrison - It's Too Late to Stop Now (1974)
Great diverse performance. From the delicate musical numbers to more raucous, rocky soul stuff.

787. Randy Newman- Good Old Boys
More good, empathetic storytelling.

788. Cee-Lo Green... Is the Soul Machine
Rather good. He can still rap well, the beats are good if a little poppy and soulful vocals.

789. The Beta Band - Heroes to Zeros
Another good one. ethereal harmonies and interesting, driving percussion.

790. American IV: The Man Comes Around (Johnny Cash, 2002)
Brilliant poignant series, this is probable the best.

791. The Who My Generation
Thumping blues guitars and drums.

792. Creedence Clearwater Revival - Green River
Played it twice by mistake. Hadn't thought much of it first time but really dug it second time. Whether it grew on me or it was the place I was in.

793. John Coltrane, a Love Supreme (1965)
A masterpiece of jazz, of course it sounds great.

794. Ian Dury - New Boots and Panties!!
Bright witty, highly entertaining. Hit me.

795. Beth Orton - Central Reservation
Sweet songs, rich vocals.

796. The Avalanches-Since I Left You
Good collection of funky dance samples.

797. Emmylou Harris - Pieces of the Sky
Great songs from a queen of country. Upbeat tunes even in the face of more sombre lyrics.

798. Dion - Born to Be With You (1975)
Sentimental and lame at points but resonantly heartfelt at others.

799. Tom Waits - Nighthawks at the Diner (1975)
Gruff, rambling tales of blues. Funny and cynical.

800. Paul Simon- Paul Simon
Another good selection of mellow folksy storytelling.

801. Animal Collective - Merriweather Post Pavilion (2009)
It's a good introduction to Animal Collective, though I think they have better albums, more representative of their particular style.

802. Grizzly Bear - Veckatimest
Sweet harmonizing alt folk.

803. Bruce Springsteen - Born in the USA
Overall good, though the title track is one step away from being a Hulk Hogan intro.

804. M.I.A. - Arular
More good raw experimentalness from M.I.A.

805. Björk - Vulnicura (2015)
I like it. Certain songs have a Vespertine vibe to them but she's layering the vocals like medulla.

806. Buzzcocks : Another Music in a Different Kitchen
Won me over immediately with I hate Fast cars and the lyric "sooner or later you're gonna listen to Ralph Nader".

807. The - The Soul Mining
Decent slice of new wave sounds.

808. Radiohead - OK Computer (1997)
Not feeling this one as much as some of the others.

809. New York Dolls - New York Dolls
Very good. The orchestration is more intricate than I was expecting, with the piano and horns.

810. Run DMC - Raising Hell
Not bad meaning bad but bad meaning great.

811. There's a Riot Goin' on (Sly & the Family Stone, 1971)
A fine, funky jam session, no more no less.

812. Syd Barrett - The Madcap Laughs (1970)
deranged, dreamy psychadelic songs.

813. Bruce Springsteen - Born to Run (1975)
My favourite Springsteen. The line "You ain't a beauty but hey you're alright" is sublime.

814. The Idiot (Iggy Pop, 1977)
It's a good one.

815. The Blue Nile - A Walk Across the Rooftops (1984)
Inoffensive and a touch bland.

816. Frankie Goes to Hollywood - Welcome to the Pleasuredome
Pretty great. Grand , stirring pop tunes.

817. 818. Cocteau Twins - Treasure, Heaven or Las Vegas
Dark ethereal elven music.

819. Eagles - Hotel California
Hotel California is a great song but the Eagles are not my type of music. All a bit insipid.

820. Bob Dylan - Time Out of Mind
Pretty good, though nothing jumps out from the record.

821. 2Pac - Me Against the World
Good, though he's not a favourite of mine. Probably the most charismatic performer in the game even if there are better technicians.

822. Stereo MC's - Connected
Reassuring naff raps and funky melodies I forgot how fun they were.

823. The Pogues - If I Should Fall From Grace With God (1988)
Prefer the trad folk sounds to the more rocky influences, but overall good.

824. 825. The Chemical Brothers - Exit Planet Dust, Dig Your Own Hole
Hard heavy dance beats, most of it is recognisable from any 90s video with rapid editing. Liked.

826. Pavement - Slanted and Enchanted
Tuneless and droney.

827. Supergrass I Should Coco
Fun for a bit then the cheeriness begins to grate.

828. Eels - Beautiful Freak
Loved it. Didn't expect to having avoided them deliberately all these years due to a percieved in error smugness. Intricate, touching, funny lyrics and

melodies. I'll be back to these.

829. Elbow - The Seldom Seen Kid
Another band I wrote off upon release due to a couple of singles. Upon deeper listening I really enjoyed what they were doing.

830. Elastica - Elastica
Good glam and dirty pop numbers.

831. Janet Jackson's Rhythm Nation 1814
An ok soul pop album. The frequent Wacko leitmotifs are a little bit cheeky given that none of these songs hook like most of Michael Jackson's ouvre.

832. Massive Attack: Blue Lines
High drama electronica. Stirring and funky.

833. Antony & the Johnsons - I Am a Bird Now
Somewhat passed me by when they first dropped, other than the single. Haunting and enchanting music.

834. White Denim, D (2011)
Wierd and wild arrangements that caught me off guard. I liked it but feel I didn't take it all in on the first listen.

835. Solange - A Seat at the Table (2016)
Some interesting ideas and some dull vocal tracks. Some oddly naive lyrics that run up against some succesfully poignant sentiment. After one listen I'm

not sure if this works against the album or in favour of it. This might be good, or not.

836. Devendra Banhart - Rejoicing in the Hands
Guiding light of that new folk scene. The equal of the follow up albums Nino Rojo and Cripple Crow.

837. John Lee Hooker - The Healer
Bold bouncing blues rock. Good.

838. MGMT - Oracular Spectacular
I liked it at the time, still like it, should play it more. Spaced out glam pop.

839. Fatboy Slim - You've Come a Long Way Baby
Solid late 90s dance record. Lots of hits here.

840. Bee Gees - Odessa (1969)
Some restrained songs on here. Not used to hearing them this way sans disco, but good.

841. Raw Like Sushi- Neneh Cherry
Cheesy but infectious light hip pop.

842. Leftfield - Leftism
Nice electro trance rhythms.

843. King Crimson - Larks' Tongues in Aspic (1973)
Intricate, experimental rhythmic clattering and spooky vocals.

844. Earth, Wind & Fire - That's the Way of the World
Good sturdy soul album with funky grooves and those angelic voices.

845. Gram Parsons: Grievous Angel
Likeable love and life country songs.

846. Transformer (Lou Reed, 1972)
delightful pop album. You can hear Bowie and Ronson all over it, adding a melodic sweetness to the Reed's seedy edges.

847. The Triffids - Calenture (1987)
Wonderful album. "Jerdacuttup Man" is a pretty special song, moving and sublime.

848. Crowded House-Woodface
Solid pop album.

849. Robbie Williams - Life Thru a Lens
Terrible lyrics even by crap-pop standards. Sure he has a degree of gobby charisma.

850. Supergrass - In It for the Money
The big hits aside I'm not into them.

851. Survivor - Destiny's Child
Horrific, cynical duplicitous corpo-trash. Survivor is supposed to be some feminist anthem for strong independent women, then the follow up song is

"Nasty girl": a song tearing down women who don't measure up to the Child's "Christian" standards. Hateful and depressing shit-culture, and it helped

make them millionaires and billionaires. Kill me.

852. Pet Shop Boys - Behaviour
Not a favourite but good enough.

853. Kate Bush - The Sensual World
Heads we're dancing is a dud but everything else is majestic. Rocket ship might be my favourite song after Pull Out The Pin from The Dreaming.

854. Nightmares on Wax Smokers Delight
Groovey chill vibes.

855. D'Angelo - Brown Sugar
Nice smooth vocals a touch of a Marvin Gaye immitation here and there, still I can see why he is well regarded.

856. Stereolab - Emperor Tomato Ketchup
Cool, funky kiddos.

857. Divine Comedy - A Short Album About Love
Another fine deep chilly melodrama.

858. Billy Bragg and Wilco Mermaid Avenue
Great set of folk numbers. They blend very well together.

859. David Gray - White Ladder
Fairly insipid but quite tuneful with it.

860. Kid Rock - Devil Without a Cause
Ear scarring crap.

861. Silver Jews - Bright Flight
Liked it a good deal nice strings and vocals.

862. Everything but the Girl Walking Wounded
Warm and dreamy, drummy ambiance.

863. David Holmes-Lets Get Killed
Top looping and rhyming.

864. Bizarre Ride II the Pharcyde (The Pharcyde, 1992)
Cool, vulgar word flipping hip hop.

865. The Prodigy - Music for the Jilted Generation
Good hard stripped down rhythms.

866. Moon Safari (Air, 1998)
Very satisfying dreamy electro tunes.

867. Bruce Springsteen the Rising
Another goody, though the constant yank optimism can wear.

868. Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Rowdy street level rap with solid beats. Charisma over rhyming skills.

869. Pavement - Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain
Oddly I really liked this. I only realised halfway through that it was Pavement again. I guess I was in a unreceptive mood with the last album or I've

aquired the taste.

870. Morrissey - You Are the Quarry
What a twat. An album full of hypocrisy and duplicity, though it still has melody.

871. The Flying Burrito Bros - The Gilded Palace of Sin
competent but unremarkable genre piece.

872. Can - Tago Mago (1971)
Competent but unremarkable different genre piece.

873. Don Mclean - American Pie (1971)
Sweet charming Americana nostalgia.

874. G Love & Special Sauce - G Love & Special Sauce
Interesting, funky live intrumental hip hop beats. Fairly unique in that sense.

875. Ali Farka Toure & Ry Cooder Talking Timbuktu
Nice guitar and vocals.

876. Crosby, Stills & Nash, Crosby Stills & Nash (1969)
The harmonising on this album is great. Their best album I've heard so far.

877. Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables (The Dead Kennedys, 1980)
Excellent tuneful antagonism.

878. Reggatta De Blanc (The Police)
3 or 4 excellent songs, excuse the fecking odd carribean vocal inflections.

879. Prefab Sprout - Steve Mcqueen
Sweet, likeable and amiable pop rock.

880. Youngbloods - Elephant Mountain
A fairly good listen, competent instrumentalists.

881. Screaming Trees - Dust
A decent listen, nothing particularly outstanding though.

882. Eagles-Eagles
A couple of good songs but a bit of a slog across easy listening standards.

883. Tim Buckley: Greetings From LA
Ok but I didn't need another Tim Buckley album.

884. Neil Young - Tonight'S the Night (1975)
And then this guy again.

885. Robert Wyatt - Rock Bottom
quite wild and ungainly. Didn't feel this one on first listen.

886. Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark - Architecture & Morality (1981)
Really liked the wide range of sounds and flavours on offer.

887. Gene Clark - No Other
Quite dull and plodding.

888. Dennis Wilson - Pacific Ocean Blue (1977)
I found this an interesting record, with eclectic influences. I'll play it again.

889. 890. Marvin Gaye - What's Going On, Here My Dear
Undeniable classic, smooth heavenly music that occassionally has me wanting a bit more grit.

891. The Allman Brothers Band - At Fillmore East (1971)
Not bad jumping and jiving southern rock jams.

892.Suzanne Vega - Suzanne Vega
I think I enjoyed this one. At times it felt like some of the esotericism was a little forced but it was certainly refreshing amongst the blokey rock of

late.

893. The Last Shadow puppets - The age of the Understatement
Listenable but not a patch on their previous. Something about the reverby production that jars with me.

894. Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dreams
Don't hate it but it's all a bit weak tea.

895. Queens of the stone age - QOTSA
It goes on a bit but justifies its reputation.

896. Bonnie Prince Billie - I see a darkness
Great. The kinda dreary vocals and bleak themes are complimented by the stirring melodies

897. Doves - the last broadcast
Good, fairly standard guitar rock.

898. sugar - copper blue
Straight to the point banging rock, not at this time.

899. bill callahan - sometimes I wish
So good. Sleek and sweet and has a lambchop vibe

900. 901. The xx-xx, I See You
Like it. Driving evocative melodic.

902. Django Django - Django Django
lively pop production. The harmonised layering can be a bit much but it's a fun album.

903. The Zutons - Who Killed the Zutons
Bold brash rock arrangements. Sometimes enough other times to much.

904. Jon Spencer Blues Group Now I Got Worry
Loud distorty sound belies the somewhat pedestrian songs.

905. The Magnetic Fields - 69 Love Songs

A lot of songs, exhaustingly so, though there is a consistent high standard of quality throughout. A great range of alt folky numbers.

906. Badly Drawn Boy - Hour of Bewilderbeast
Plain melodies and simple structures but vanilla ice cream is quite pleasant.

907. 908. Rod Stewart - Gasoline Alley, Every Picture
Started strongly with some nice gravely vocals, was kind of over it by the time I reaches the Dylan cover.

909. Donald Fagen - The Nightfly
It was alright for a while with a few good melody lines but it's all very dated.

910. Maxwell - Urban Hang Suite
This soppy soul pop ballad stuff is perhaps the only musical genre I don't like. This is pretty dull and bad.

911. Bob Dylan, Live 1966 (1998)
Iconic, infamous performance but above that, it's also just good music.

912. Turbonegro - Apocalypse Dudes
This was brand new to me but I dug the sounds and the glam hard rock energy.

913. Madness - The Rise & Fall (1982)
Good jolly sounds and not too over the top madness. They're still in that mellow two tone lane here.

914. Alexander Spence - Oar
Pretty good, imaginative songs employing a range of strip down styles.

915. Carpenters - Close to You (1970)
Sweet and sappy love songs with great production.

916. The Vines-Highly Evolved
A well trod path but it was a perfectly fine listen.

917. Fred Neil
Rambunctious country blues. Good stuff.

918. Big Star - #1 Record
Enjoyable ramble through some imaginative rock tunes. A couple of good covers.

919. Magazine - Real Life
Weird, rough, punky tunes.

920. Q: Are We Not Men? A: We Are Devo! (Devo, 1978)
Shrill glorious, real bold satisfaction cover.

921. The Dandy Warhols - Come Down
Not bad but a bit drab in comparison to some of their other work.

922. Dirty Projectors - Bitte Orca
very pleased with itself, to the point of annoyance. Perhaps its an aquired tasts but ive yet to get it, certainly competent though.

923. Wild Beasts - Two Dancers
At first I thought this was another Dirty Projectors but it quickly won me over with witty lyrics and beautifully mournful melodies.

924. Liars-They were wrong, so we drowned
I certainly admire the DIY anti music ethos.

925. Bees Sunshine Hit Me
Caught off guard with the Jamaican sounds, bright and breezy.

926. The Blueprint (JAY Z, 2001)
How this guy ever gets grouped with the prodigous Nas is a mystery. Beats are good but Jay z is bad and he is also bad rap music, some of the lazy rhymes

are excruciating.

927. Mylo Destroy Rock and Roll
Cool, calming vibes, loved it and replayed it straight away.

928. Endtroducing..... (Dj Shadow, 1996)
A good chopped hiphop dance record.

929. Metallica – S&M
More of the same from these guys but live. Not bad.

930. Ryan Adams - Gold
Pretty good, lively indie rock numbers.

931. Gillian Welch - The Revelator
Fairly simple compositions but super strong melancholy hooks.

932. Steve Winwood - Arc of a Driver (1980)
Some nice keys, a tad dull with the songwriting.

933. Scott Walker - Scott4
Elegant fairytale ambience and a marvellous voice.

934. Are You Experienced? - The Jimi Hendrix Experience
Acts as a greatest hits album. Big bold brash classic album.

935. The Velvet Underground- The Velvet Underground
More of the same velvety goodness from the Underground.

936. Joe Ely - Honky Tonk Masquerade (1978)
small town Honky Tonk country tales.

937. Big Star - Third / Sister Lovers
Harsh, haunting, beautiful.

938. NEU! - Neu! '75 (1975)
Ebbing and flowing, delicate rocky soundscapes.

939. 13th Floor Elevators, the Psychedelic Sounds of the 13th Floor Elevators (1966)
Raw, gritty lush psychadelia.

940. Motorhead - No Sleep 'Til Hammersmith
Hard heavy live performance, that retains a crystal clarity.

941. Stevie Wonder - Fulfillingness First Finale
First listen and found it his most underwhelming album. Innervisions is still the high water mark.

942. Joan Armatrading 1976
Strong folky songwriting, great voice and tunes.

943. Garbage - Garbage (1995)
A bit ugly and tuneless. I know they're riding the back of the grunge wave but it's not my vibe.

944. 945 Rufus Wainwright Want Two, Want One
Don't want. I don't get what people like about the whining drone and plodding melodies by this guy. tumescent.

946. Back to Basics
Hated the cynical warbling narcissism of it and it sounded like shit. Then disc two flips everything to surprisingly good, with some real bouncy

production.

947. 948. Manassas - Manassas (1972), Stephen Stills Stephen Stills.
Nice blues rock mix with country touches here and there. Good playing on the journey home.

949. Einstürzende Neubauten - Kollaps
weird abstract noise art, it makes sense if not a particulary pleasant sonic experience.

950. Chic - C'est Chic
Cool, funky, one of the best disco records.

951. R.E.M. - Green
Not for me. I guess I'm an Automatic for The People fan and not an REM fan.

952. 953. The Jesus and Mary Chains - Darklands, Psychocandy
There are melodies here but some of the plodding arrangements put me off.

954. The Birthday Party - Junkyard
They definitely have a grim, dank macabre charm, even as I couldn't see myself choosing to put the album on.

955. Simply Red - Picture Book
Not too bad, for all the shit they got from the cool kids, Mick has a tune in him.

956. The The, Infected (1986)
Didn't take much from this album.

957. Throwing Muses - Throwing Muses
I liked some of the vocal work, some echoey effects and such.

958. Bee Gees - Trafalgar (1971)
Light breezy and making little impact.

959. Tracy Chapman-Tracy Chapman [1988]
I still like this album. Gentle folk conscious rock songs.

960. World Clique (Deee-Lite, 1990)
Fun hip poppy dance tracks. Wears a bit thin by the end though.

961. Spacemen 3 - Playing With Fire
Mesmerising rhthms and harsh guitars. SMooth soothing vocals. It works

962. Public Image, Ltd. - Metal Box
Struggled with this one until the final few tracks, which were creative and strange.

963. The Temptations - Cloud Nine (1969)
Some of the less well known tracks that didn't raise much interest.

964. Ozamatli Street Sings
I found the cheesy pop elements overbearing and irritating.

965. Icarus Line Penance Soiree
A proper musical rock outfit. If this is your thing then I'm sure it's revered.

966. Nick of Time- Bonnie Raitt [1989]
Pleasant enough country rock.

967. William Orbit-Strange Cargo Lll
Likeable medetative sounds that become a bit soporyphic. I was literally nodding off.

968. Hole- Live Through This
Hard bashy rock with likeable lead vocals. I dug it.

969. Manic Street Preachers - The Holy Bible
Big energy, cracking rock fun.

970. Wilco, Being There (1996)
A lively eclectic mix of various rock styles.

971. Dexys Midnight Runners - Too-Rye-Ay
Rugged and ragged rocking rye ay.

972. Orange Juice - Rip It Up (1982)
Some fine hooky production. One song sounds uncannily like a track off Bowie's Blackstar. Also one song has an effect that is almost identical to the

windows error windows sound, which was fecking annoying.

973. Fatboy SLim - Better Living Through Chemistry
Not iconic in the same way as "You've come a long..." but some fine beats.

974. Divine Comedy Casanova
Lush, sweet Divine music.

975. The Charlatans - Tellin' Stories
Just your basic britpop dirt band. Fine if you're into that.

976. Manic Street Preachers - Everything Must Go
Decent well played rock with some sweet melodies

977. Ute Lemper • Punishing Kiss
What the feck is this? Fecking great it is. Dramatic and georgeous.

978. Underworld Second Toughest in the Infants
skittering drumlines and rousing harmonies.

979. Red Snapper Our Aim Is to Satisfy
Some decent electro, no more no less.

980. 981 Tom Waits - Swordfishtrombones, Bone Machine
More sweet sounds from the bourbon soaked cig end.

982. Public Enemy - Apocalypse 91 Enemy Strikes Back,
Powerful politics sure but not enough is said about their aesthetic game and how it was as strong as anyone out.

983. Jane's Addiction, Ritual De Lo Habitual (1990)
Rawkus rowdy manic and I liked it.

984. Sonic Youth - Dirty
Lovely scuzzy guitars and vocals.

985. Frank Black - Teenager of the Year
Pretty cool stripped down songwriting.

986. Burning Spear - Marcus Garvey
Does for Marcus Garvey what the Wailers did for Harli Salado. Sublime emancipation reggae album.

987. Associates - Sulk (1982)
It didn't blow me away but I could low key vibe to it.

988. Isley Brothers 3+3
Exquisite musicianship, soulful and beautiful.

989. Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers-Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
Well written solid rock n roll.

990. Pixies - Bossanova
It didn't hit as well as their previous albums but I'll go back to it.

991. Cypress Hill - Cypress Hill
From an era of well defined styles, they produced a truly iconic sound.

992. Pet Shop Boys-Very
Some nice electro that is more on the cheesy side of their discography.

993. Pulp - This Is Hardcore
Good but with a double album full of it, well that's a lot of dry sardonicism to take.

994. Emmylou Harris - Red Dirt Girl
Nice raw tuneful country tunes.

995. Teenage Fanclub - Bandwagonesque

996. Pentangle - Basket of Light (1969)
Extremely twee tunes that never let up.

997. The Modern Lovers - The Modern Lovers
A sombre, strained beauty to this one.

998. Gang of Four - Entertainment!
Slightly irksome in your face post punkiness. On a different day it might have hit me differently.

999. Penguin Cafe Orchestra - Music From the Penguin Café (1976)
Some cool, avant-garde poppy folk music.

1000. Hanoi Rocks - Back to Mystery City (1983)
Nothing to get too excited by.

1001. Afrika Bambaataa and the Soul Sonic Force Planet Rock
An interesting time capsule of where rap didn't go.

1002. 1003. K.D. Lang - Shadowland, Ingenue
Sweet, gentle country ballads.

1004. My Bloody Valentine - Loveless (1991)
Again this band has evaded my ear somewhat.

1005 Fun Lovin Criminals Come Find Yourself
Surpised to find myself bopping along to this one. It's light, fun, tuneful, flippant.

1006. Todd Rundgren- Something/Anything?
Cool songs and some neat postmodern musical elements.

1007. 1008. Common - Like Water for Chocolate, Be
Funky soul beats, skilled rhyming though I don't view him as the revered poet that some do. Some very dated attitudes.

1009. Sheet Music - 10Cc
Obnoxious and annoying rock exhibitionism, played well though.

1010. Elliott Smith - Figure 8
More cheery sounding rock from this guy.

1011. The Verve - A Northern Soul
Bold playing of imaginative arrangements.

1012. Ride - Nowhere
Washed over me, didn't feel any particular way about it.

1013. Erykah Badu: Mama's Gun
Beautifully produced jazzy rhythms. Elegant, raw vocals. A sublime album.

1014. George Michael Listen Without Prejudice: Vol 1
A number of good pop tunes with some heartfelt lyrics.

1015. The Happy Mondays - Bummed
Competent playing, good songs, a decent listen.

1016. 808 State - 90 (1989)
Keeps a banging rhythm throughout, it really grew on me.

1017. 1018. Primal Scream - Screamadelica, Vanishing Point
Not bad electro rock stuff that didn't move me particularly.

1019. Scritti Politti - Cupid & Psyche 85 (1985)
Bubbly poppy stuff. Very listenable.

1020. Robert Wyatt - Shleep
I suspected it was going to be weird but hadn't banked on it being this wonderful. Lovely invention on the song structures and instrumentation.

1021. Nanci Griffith - The Last of the True Believers (1986)
Sweet, lush Americana.

1022. Ladysmith Black Mambazo - Shaka Zulu (1987)
It would be easy to become sniffy towards the face of world music and - thanks largely to Paul Simon - the white West's placeholder for the continents

music, but actually they still sound bloody great.

1023. Cowboy Junkies - The Trinity Session (1988)
Thought this was some nice country folk for a while but then there was no real progression and everything sounded too similar.

1024. Rocket From the Crypt Scream Dracula Scream
Full blooded, in your face rock jams.

1025. Femi Kutti Femi Kutti
Joyful, mad rhythms, great horns. Strong in his own right beyond his fathers shadow. The final song Changes has lyrics about witnessing female

empowerment and gay relationships and I couldn't quite get if this was support or a suggestion that these are symptomatic of a crazy world

1026. Saint Etienne - Fox Base Alpha
Strange and interesting soundscapes.

1027. The Boo Radleys - Giant Steps
Tuneful melodies, does that job, not bad.

1028. Super Furry Animals - Fuzzy Logic
Not something that I would ever put on myself but I was tapping my foot to it.

1029. Finely Quaye Maverick a Strike
He butchers a couple of cover tracks but there is a good pop energy to the album overall.

1030. Talvin Singh - Ok
Eerie, intense and rather delightful.

1031. My Bloody Valentine - Isn't Anything
Yep, this is certainly not the band for me.

1032. Davd Ackles - American Gothic (1972)
Sharp romantic storytelling, poetic and haunting.

1033. George Jones - The Grand Tour (1974)
Likeable cool country tracks.

1034. Tuesday Night Music Club
A fairly good pop rock album. Some hooky melodies.

1035. Throbbing Gristle - D.O.A. Third and Final Report
I didn't get it but it was strange enough to have me curious to return.

1036. Lenny Kravitz - Let Love Rule (1989)
Interesting poppy vocals, some good toe tapping tunes all a bit samey though..

1037. Neil Young and Crazy Horse- Ragged Glory
yes again, again.

1038. Laibach - Opus Dei (1987)
There are some mad covers here, enjoyable theatre.

1039. Baaba Maal Lam Torro
Interesting Senegalese pop music with a clear Jamaican influence.

1040. Abdullah Ibrahim - Water From an Ancient Well (1985)
Nice to hear some funky trad jazz this late in the list.

1041. Nitty Gritty Dirt Band - Will the Circle Be Unbroken (1972)
SUperlative bluesy back trail blue grass country jams.

1042. The Residents - Duck Stab/Buster & Glen
Strange weirdo meme stuff.

1043. Tanto Tempo
cool, sexy, relaxing, lush.

1044. Death in Vegas Contino Sessions
Strong bold sounds, cobbled together into a satisfying album.

1045. John Martyn One World
Soulful tunes and thoughtful songwriting. A chill time.

1046. Suicide - Suicide
Great, dramatic avant-gardey sounds and vision.

1047. Three Years, Five Months, and Two Days in the Life of ...
A great 'lost' hip hop album in terms of time, context and content, whilst still being canonically recognised.

1048. The Saints - Eternally Yours (1978)
Good energy, grit in the vocals but pleasant melodies that take the edge off.

1049. The Style Council - Café Bleu (1984)
An interesting departure for Weller. A poppy soul album that still has some obvious Wellerisms inbedded in its lyrics.

1050. Llyod Cole and the Commotions - Rattlesnakes (1984)
Loved it from the Tori Amos cover album. Sweet evocative songs.

1051. 1052. Julian Cope - Peggy Suicide and The Teardrop Explodes - Kilimanjaro
A lot of pleasant instumentation, accompanying fairly unexciting singing.

1053. Ltj Bukem Locial Progression
High Quality dnb chaos.

1054. Hugh Masekela - Home Is Where the Music Is (1972)
Very nice horn heavy Arfican jazz.

1055. Khaled - Kenza
I was quite enjoying these jazzy arab rhythms, and then the Imagine cover came on and it's just as bad as the original and sort of put me off the whole

lot.

1056. Rahul Dev Burman - Shalimar (1978)
Really liked this one and has me ready to check out the film.

1057. The Go-Betweens - 16 Lovers Lane
Superlative quality of a type of guitar rock I won't usually listen to.

1058. Caetano Veloso - Caetano Veloso
Stylish, enthusiastic good sounds.

1059. The Dictators - Go Girl Crazy! (1975)
Loud, Brash, cool greaser punk rock.

1060. The Fall - This Nation's Saving Grace
My favourite album from The Fall. Paintwork and My New House are amazing.

1061. Barry Adamson - Moss Side Story (1989)
I can't remember a thing about it having only just listened to it. Not sure what that means, I might have to give it another spin.

1062. Jah Wobble-Rising Above Bedlam
I dug the gloomy atmosphere on some of the songs.

1063. Les Digitales Rhymes - Darkdancer
Cheap and cheery synths, often quite lame sounding.

1064. Ash - 1977
A handful of lively pop rock tracks, the rest is quite cruddy. Deciding to Include The sick Party was as obnoxious as it sounds as a track.

1065. Suba - Sao Paulo Confessions
Nice bunch of lively beats, without being particularly note worthy.

1066. United States of America - S/T
Mad, psychedelic, creepy carnival visions. Great.

1067. Soul II Soul - Club Classics Vol. One
Soulful pop dance numbers, good.

1068. Girls Against Boys - Venus Luxure No 1 Baby
Harsh, grimey, listenable rock out numbers.

1069. John Zorn - Spy Vs. Spy (1989)
Mad calamitous jazz, could vibe with some but not with all.

1070. Mj Cole Sincere
Good dance tracks, some spirited vocals but it's far from essential stuff.

1071. American Music Club - California (1988)
Not feeling this one, stodgy and rough.

1072. Ali Fateh Nusart Khan - Devotional Songs
Sweet, rousing hymnal tunes. Don't have to understand the words to get the feeling.

1073. Guided by Voices - Alien Lanes
Perfectly fine, although it feels fairly generic.

1074. Jungle Brothers - Done by the Forces of Nature (1989)
They may be a lesser part of the collective but the Africanist core of the album is pointed.

1075. Barry Adamson Oedipus Schmoedipus
Creative eclectic ideas and execution.

1076. Mercury Rev - Deserter's Songs
A nice mix of light melodies and creative song structures.

1077. Giant Sand Chore of Enchantment
Decent sounding, enough to demand a relisten.

1078. Taylor Swift, 1989 (2014)
Shit.

1079. Songhoy Blues, Music in Exile (2015)
Beautiful. Soulful vocals and charming guitar licks. A soothing, rewarding finish to the journey.

feck you all.

BD

Congratulations, you maniac. Any overall points or lessons?

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
I guess the main discoveries include:
Not only can I tolerate some of the grindcore death metal stuff but the couple of albums I heard really piqued my interest.
I need to listen to more low down dirty punk stuff.
Some of the new romantic music is surprisingly great.
I thought I liked folk rock but it was real drudgery getting through much of the 60s stuff from the list.
Most of the post 2000 releases were dull. I was hoping to get put on to some good recent releases but only a few made the cut.

There were too many albums by certain acts. Unless you are a committed fan you don't need to hear 10 Beatles albums, 10 Dylan Albums, 15 Neil Young albums etc. A few of each and then give the space to other artists.

It was mainly the subgenre fringe stuff that made the journey worth it. Trudging through a lot of the popular mainstream stuff became tiresome.

Doing the list in a relatively short period of time is perhaps not the best way to experience everything but it exposes you to a lot of stuff quickly, that you can then return to later and give more attention to. I've now got a whole bunch of new albums that I want to delve deeper into. I still like what I liked at the beginning but I think I broadened my horizons a little. 10 that I loved and I wouldn't have found without the list:

Napalm Death -- "Scum"
Eels - Beautiful Freak
Divine Comedy Casanova
XTC • Apple Venus
Butthole Surfers - Locust Abortion Technician (1987)
Pere Ubu - Dub Housing (1978)
Germs - GI
Gun Club - Fire of Love
Faust - Faust IV (1973)
Dagmar Krause - Tank Battles

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
@dumbo , thank you for being a rockstar and doing this!
I enjoyed reading it a lot since we have the same taste for about 70% of the time and are polar opposites for the remaining 30%. :lol:

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Cheers all, glad it had a little value outside my own private listening party.

One other thing, writing the notes can be a pain, particularly as there were so many, but whether the note is a fair description or just random gobbledegook, the simple act of stopping to have to think for a moment about what you're hearing in order to describe it does help form an imprint of the thing. The note doesn't matter so much as the act it self does. It's something I try and do for books, films and other things to retain some impression of the thing after the event. Obviously only when I'm not being lazy - which to be fair is quite uncommon.