100m budget for 2019 Summer window

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
If this is true, I would be worried. We can't rely on selling our better players to fund buying new players in, and the players we should be looking to sell are not going to bring in anything due to the wages they will cost the buying clubs.

We are already behind in the premier league, and if we want to close the gap, trying to limit our net spend to 100 million isn't going to help us catch up. Particularly if we are then targeting players that are likely to cost more than half that budget in one go.

red_de_pologne

100m won't get us two players in current market. Wouldn't be surprised if we just got AWB and Longstaff. The club reportedly said we will appoint a DoF and backtracked, same can happen with our 'rebuild'.

Havak

Pokemon master
Makes sense why we re-signed Jones and Mata now. We wouldn't be able to afford replacements if the club feel we need five CB's or we don't sell Sanchez/Lukaku to fund an attacker signing, or they want to be able to sell these guys in a year or two. Assuming none of our bigger names leave in this window, the only money we're going to be able to recoup is on Darmian and likely Rojo or Bailly. I'd guess we can get at the very most a combined £30m for player sales this Summer, which doesn't bode very well. If we did manage to get AWB at £45m and we've got James at £15m, then we're looking at between £40-70m we can spend to be able to buy a CB and CM/FW. It's going to be really tight and it's hard to see us getting a big signing through the door. If we land AWB from Palace, he probably is the big signing.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Well you try to rebuild our team with 100 million.
What is your point? First the club isn't just spending 100m, there is also the transfer fees owed from previous windows that are due this year and secondly you can't magically make up money, unless if you borrow money or don't spend in multiple windows the average spendings for a club like United will be at best between 100m-150m depending on other expenses like your wage bill.

Ventura

Media reports mean nothing, as most of what they report, is made up. We could have a small budget or a big one, but based on our activity so far, we probably won't be spending astronomical amounts. Prices are through the roof too. Just one of our main CB targets would be in the neighbourhood of 100 million.

Bestietom

What is your point? First the club isn't just spending 100m, there is also the transfer fees owed from previous windows that are due this year and secondly you can't magically make up money, unless if you borrow money or don't spend in multiple windows the average spendings for a club like United will be at best between 100m-150m depending on other expenses like your wage bill.
Or the Glazers leave some for us.

crossy1686

career ending
Didn't Woodward brief the press last summer with something along the lines of:

"The money is there for the right targets but we won't overpay, we bid £100m for Varane but Madrid rejected"

There's no way we don't have the money, the club are just refusing to pay over the odds.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I'm never the optimist, but even I find this alleged £100m a bit difficult to believe. I just feel that the inactivity in the transfer market is just down to total ineptitude.
Wan-Bissaka as an example, apparently he is our prime target, his club are willing to sell, and the player wants the move, but we are still fumbling about like a bunch of amateurs.

Scriblerus

If that's the spend, we'll be fighting for 6th place next season. Realistically, we are probably looking at 3 seasons to build, given the number of ageing/mediocre/wantaway players in the squad, but given the inflated transfer market it's going to take more investment than that year on year to do the job.

davidmichael

Well surely if we bid £95 million for Koulibaly as reported our transfer budget can’t be £100 million as we couldn’t have signed even Young Daniel James otherwise as we’d have gone over budget ?

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
You could easily improve our team with £100 million.

Where do people think all these teams get these players from that they are selling for £60 -£70 million from in the first place when they don’t have that kind money to throw around?

JPRouve

Scout
Or the Glazers leave some for us.
Well since the club is a PLC, we actually know what the shareholders take which is around 4% of the turnover, so you will have to find something else.

Didn't Woodward brief the press last summer with something along the lines of:

"The money is there for the right targets but we won't overpay, we bid £100m for Varane but Madrid rejected"

There's no way we don't have the money, the club are just refusing to pay over the odds.
The main issue is that our wage bill went from 203m in 2016 to 255m in 2018, that money will be taken from somewhere and if I'm not mistaken we didn't create new sponsorships revenues during that period while our performances means that we generate less prize money which offsets the Adidas-Chevrolet deals.

Bestietom

I think we are all entitled to be annoyed with the lack of transfer activity.I also know that what we read is not to be believed.
I am a fan since 1959 and have spent a lot of hard earned money following this great club. I am now an OAP but still get to go to games. I would like to see us challenge again before I am no longer fit and able to travel. I hate to see other teams like City and Liverpool leaving us behind as we should be able to compete with them, especially if we were to put the money into the team.

Stookie

Nurse bell end
I would hope those running the club are not as fickle as us fans who think bad results over a short period has no coaching abilities and lose faith.
Well hopefully not, and I’m sure they know more about running a club than I do. I really hope Ole is a success because I really like him and don’t want to see him sacked. I’m just saying I’m not sure he would have got the same contract, not just because of the results but the performances as well. Hopefully he turns it round this season but I feel he’ll need more than £100M to do so. That’s if it’s correct in the first place.

kirk buttercup

Really we shouldn't need a whole lot more to be honest if things had been done right , as each summer we should picking up 1 or 2 players , unfortunately we have been a car crash over the last couple of seasons in the transfer window so instead of picking up a couple of players to improve the squad and allowing space for our younger players to come into the Squad we need to buy half a team nearly every summer .
The wage bill is ridiculous too which means no one wants to take our overpaid bench warmers .
Hard to sore like an Eagle when we are run by a bunch of budgies.
I still feel we have more than 100m to spend and this is a bit of a spin for the press

Bestietom

Well hopefully not, and I’m sure they know more about running a club than I do. I really hope Ole is a success because I really like him and don’t want to see him sacked. I’m just saying I’m not sure he would have got the same contract, not just because of the results but the performances as well. Hopefully he turns it round this season but I feel he’ll need more than £100M to do so. That’s if it’s correct in the first place.
Yes, I would like to see him given a proper chance to rebuid. If we have the money then back him. It's pointless changing the manager every other year.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
The main issue is that our wage bill went from 203m in 2016 to 255m in 2018, that money will be taken from somewhere and if I'm not mistaken we didn't create new sponsorships revenues during that period while our performances means that we generate less prize money which offsets the Adidas-Chevrolet deals.
Wages have got out of hand for the level of performance we're getting. I doubt we can afford much more than £100m without risking the recent profit levels, given wages have increased and CL prize money is decreasing. £20m pay off to Mourinho doesn't come from nowhere either.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
This forum is hilarious. Something (likely) false like this gets posted, people reply “not true!” but then the post gets so much traction it has 5 pages within an hour.

El Zoido

It’s probably not true, but our transfer strategy this window doesn’t fill me with any confidence.

StrettyEnder07

100m haha if this is true we are in a right mess, this GlazersOut campaign needs to gather proper momentum this season, balls to the season, where we finish, what we win, get these whoppers out and launch Woodward with them, that's all that matters at the moment, want my club back!

So we are making record breaking profits, have sponsors coming out of our behind and can only afford 100m haha absolute joke!

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
100m haha if this is true we are in a right mess, this GlazersOut campaign needs to gather proper momentum this season, balls to the season, where we finish, what we win, get these whoppers out and launch Woodward with them, that's all that matters at the moment, want my club back!

So we are making record breaking profits, have sponsors coming out of our behind and can only afford 100m haha absolute joke!
I'm no expert but we only made £26m profit before tax for 17/18. That's based on spending around £100-£150m a season on transfers. Paying off Mourinho is a £20m hit to profits this year so I can't see where a massive increase in net transfer spend is going to come from.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
United are in debt.

The club can only spend what has been agreed with the bank. The only option remaining for the club is to raise money through sales or find some unpolished gems on the cheap.
Not a chance it's cause of the debt. Our interest payments and servicing are under £20m a year.

SparkedIntoLife

The briefings are so transparent. It's a joke. Fans upset at the poor season = "United have 250m to rebuild". Need to unsettle AWB = "United want Wan-Bissaka". Palace asking for too much money = "United seriously want Max Aarons". West Ham asking for too much money for Diop too = "United only have £100m". We're so reactive and amateur. I realise most clubs try to spin or control media narratives but ours just seems so obvious and desperate.

Enigma_87

You know who
United are in debt.

The club can only spend what has been agreed with the bank. The only option remaining for the club is to raise money through sales or find some unpolished gems on the cheap.
That's not accurate mate. Being in debt doesn't mean we are restricted on year to year basis. We have assets covering that debt and not backed up by free cash.

Bestietom

Let's see what we bring in from sales and if we will be given it all to spend on transfers.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
If this is true, then it makes the Herrera free transfer debacle look even more ridiculous. If we couldn’t afford to replace him why the feck did we not tie him down to a new contract earlier?

I’m one of the guys on here that thinks that’s Herrera got massively overrated by a lot of fans. But if it is a choice between giving him a £200k a week deal or letting him leave for free and not fecking replacing him, then it’s a no brainer.

Will Singh

Separate thread.... if that’s the case every other tweet with a nothing story needs a “separate tread”

This could be a case of woody realising that his billy big bollox comment that ‘we are Man Utd and we can do things others can only dream off’ have caught him with his pants down so maybe now trying reverse psychology and saying we are as poor as any other average club in the PL?

JPRouve

Scout
Separate thread.... if that’s the case every other tweet with a nothing story needs a “separate tread”

This could be a case of woody realising that his billy big bollox comment that ‘we are Man Utd and we can do things others can only dream off’ have caught him with his pants down so maybe now trying reverse psychology and saying we are as poor as any other average club in the PL?
But we aren't as poor as any other average club in the PL, I suppose that are jesting but that figure still put us at the top of the leage. People overestimate wealth in football and in particular our wealth, just think about it when people read that Bayern is linked with a big transfer or we are linked to the same player, they often say that we can easily beat them but that's not actually true Bayern only generated 37 less millions this year, we are effectively in the same ball park. United is a wealthy club but it's not a lot wealthier the top clubs and some are wealthier.

GBBQ

Fair play to Ogden, I'd say he's delighted with the hits this is getting. The epitome of clickbait journalism and half the caf are falling for it. Well timed; in that we're all a bit antsy about the rebuild but also with tournaments going on and the international window not yet open clubs might be reluctant to make deals without replacements in. Its believable because we think that Glazers don't invest even though only City have spent more than us over the last 5 years and 10 years.

WPMUFC

100m and likely to spend 68-ish million on a RB prospect and a Winger prospect........yeah that's a no.

Smores

I'm no expert but we only made £26m profit before tax for 17/18. That's based on spending around £100-£150m a season on transfers. Paying off Mourinho is a £20m hit to profits this year so I can't see where a massive increase in net transfer spend is going to come from.
That assumes we have no cash reserves and that the transfers won't be spread out across future payments.
We definitely have the former as Woody has boasted about it endlessly and the latter is common practice in football.

StrettyEnder07

Don't have the energy to go through all the Financial Statements of the club etc. but from memory we have:

1. A few of the biggest sponsorship deals in world football.
2. Are officially the 2nd wealthiest and most profitable football club on the planet.
3. I think we are in the top 5/6 sporting sides in the world when it comes to turnover/profits/wealth etc.
4. Net spend of about 40m last summer.
5. Not spent a penny for the last 2 January transfer windows.
6. Received funds for Memphis/Schneiderlin/Fellani in that time.
7. Premier league money, Champions League money for getting into the quarters last season, winning Europa/FA Cup in the last few years.

Plus the other profits that we make from merchandising, gate receipts etc.

Most of our players will now be taking what, 20% pay cut on their wages due to failure to qualify for the UCL last year.

All of that and we can't afford more than 100m on transfers? Not buying that for a second.

Castia

Don't have the energy to go through all the Financial Statements of the club etc. but from memory we have:

1. A few of the biggest sponsorship deals in world football.
2. Are officially the 2nd wealthiest and most profitable football club on the planet.
3. I think we are in the top 5/6 sporting sides in the world when it comes to turnover/profits/wealth etc.
4. Net spend of about 40m last summer.
5. Not spent a penny for the last 2 January transfer windows.
6. Received funds for Memphis/Schneiderlin/Fellani in that time.
7. Premier league money, Champions League money for getting into the quarters last season, winning Europa/FA Cup in the last few years.

Plus the other profits that we make from merchandising, gate receipts etc.

Most of our players will now be taking what, 20% pay cut on their wages due to failure to qualify for the UCL last year.

All of that and we can't afford more than 100m on transfers? Not buying that for a second.

You said the answer yourself

Net spend of 40m last summer and nothing in the previous Jan windows, we don't have the huge budget fans are expecting.

I've been saying this for a while, it's obvious we aren't in a position to make 4 or more high profile signings the money isn't being made available.

We'll be lucky to have 3 signings when the window closes and that includes James who might not get much playtime. James, Wan-Bissaka and a midfielder will be our summer done. The rest will rely on Lukaku, if he leaves then we'll re-invest that money into another striker.

BootsyCollins

United brief that we have so much money to spend : ”outrage, now we will have to overpay for every player”

United brief we only have a little bit of money to spend : ”outrage, we wont get half a player for that”

StrettyEnder07

You said the answer yourself

Net spend of 40m last summer and nothing in the previous Jan windows, we don't have the huge budget fans are expecting.

I've been saying this for a while, it's obvious we aren't in a position to make 4 or more high profile signings the money isn't being made available.
Yeah not saying that we don't have the money, what I am saying is where the hell has it all gone, people are acting like we are some tiny company who are struggling to make ends meat. We are the second wealthiest club in world football who have insane revenues coming into the club from all angles, so where is the money?

Back pocket of the yanks will be your answer. Hence the GlazersOut campaign, get them gone!

If we have as much revenue stream as Woodward would let us believe then there is no way we can be skint.

Castia

Yeah not saying that we don't have the money, what I am saying is where the hell has it all gone, people are acting like we are some tiny company who are struggling to make ends meat. We are the second wealthiest club in world football who have insane revenues coming into the club from all angles, so where is the money?

Back pocket of the yanks will be your answer. Hence the GlazersOut campaign, get them gone!

If we have as much revenue stream as Woodward would let us believe then there is no way we can be skint.
I think we spunked the money away during the LvG/Jose years and the Glazers have put a stop to it. I cba looking at official numbers but we must have gone through a few hundred million in a couple of years whilst seemingly going backwards.

JPRouve

Scout
That assumes we have no cash reserves and that the transfers won't be spread out across future payments.
We definitely have the former as Woody has boasted about it endlessly and the latter is common practice in football.
But latter is kind of irrelevant because we already owe money from previous transfer windows, spreading out expenses is still limited by our previous dealings and overall budget/revenues. As for cash reserves you can't use all of it because it defies it purpose which is to allow the club to maintain a certain level of reccurent spendings even when cash doesn't come in.

Havak

Pokemon master
I think we spunked the money away during the LvG/Jose years and the Glazers have put a stop to it. I cba looking at official numbers but we must have gone through a few hundred million in a couple of years whilst seemingly going backwards.
Jose and van Gaal had one season each where they were trusted with our biggest ever spends.

LvG: £131m~ net
Jose: £138m~ net

It still isn't as high as a lot of our fans expect. Even the initial spend was under £180m in these seasons. We don't do the Man City / PSG / Real Madrid of chucking out over £200m. I highly doubt an unproven Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is going to be the man who gets to spend in excess of £200m in his first full season. I can see him getting to spend over £100m but as the thread suggests, it will be player sales that manage to sneak it over that line. Darmian & likely one of Rojo or Bailly (if we decide not to let one of De Gea/Pogba/Sanchez/Lukaku go) are the only ones I expect to be sold for a max of £30m~ or so combined.