100m budget for 2019 Summer window

StrettyEnder07

I think we spunked the money away during the LvG/Jose years and the Glazers have put a stop to it. I cba looking at official numbers but we must have gone through a few hundred million in a couple of years whilst seemingly going backwards.
Yeah I'm the same I could be way off but just looking in from the outside, yeah think from like 2014/2016 we spent about 400m so can't say they have not been backed but the last few years been shocking.

Big thing is, if you look at Spurs/Liverpool/Chelsea, they always get big money for their players so there net is not to bad, we get peanuts for our players and pay massive fees and crazy wages.

Sanchez deal set a precedent regards wages with the likes of Rashford wanting 350k a week, madness, they have made a right mess of it.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I know if was a different era but did Fergie ever even get 100m to spend in a single summer? IIRC his biggest spend window was 2008 with Nani, Anderson and Hargreaves and they were all signed for around 90m tops

While the squad is in a mess we were never going to buy more than 3 or 4 players this summer and with James and AWB we're half way there with 35m(?) left to spend and whether this brief is true or not I would imagine 100m is a ball park figure

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I know if was a different era but did Fergie ever even get 100m to spend in a single summer? IIRC his biggest spend window was 2008 with Nani, Anderson and Hargreaves and they were all signed for around 90m tops

While the squad is in a mess we were never going to buy more than 3 or 4 players this summer and with James and AWB we're half way there with 35m(?) left to spend and whether this brief is true or not I would imagine 100m is a ball park figure
Its a different era and a different squad. Fees were lower back then and we didn't need a major rebuild.

PS if AWB and James are two of the 3 players we're signing then we might as well kiss CL qualification goodbye

dove

How much did you expect our budget to be? £100m before sales is not THAT bad.

charlenefan

Its a different era and a different squad. Fees were lower back then and we didn't need a major rebuild.

PS if AWB and James are two of the 3 players we're signing then we might as well kiss CL qualification goodbye
Really? If AWB signs and nothing else changes in the squad between now and the window closing AWB at RB alone is an upgrade to a squad that only marginally missed out on Top 4 last season. Chelsea have lost their best player, dont currently have a manager and have a transfer ban and like us Arsenal wont spend much. Top 4 in theory should be possible with last seasons squad let alone with any additions

devilish

Really? If AWB signs and nothing else changes in the squad between now and the window closing AWB at RB alone is an upgrade to a squad that only marginally missed out on Top 4 last season. Chelsea have lost their best player, dont currently have a manager and have a transfer ban and like us Arsenal wont spend much. Top 4 in theory should be possible with last seasons squad let alone with any additions
You're not taking in consideration

a- Herrera left.
b- Lukaku, Pogba and possibly DDG wants out. Even if we force them here they won't be happy
c- The likes of Matic, Young, Mata and Sanchez who were already meah or shit last season will be 1 year older
d- Other teams will strengthen themselves
e- Ole will possibly be one of the shittiest manager of all top 6 clubs. Pochs, Klopp, Pep and Emery are way better then the guy who was out of depth at Cardiff

In such circumstances I think there's a bigger chance of Ole being given the boot back to Molde then us making it to top 4

charlenefan

You're not taking in consideration

a- Herrera left.
b- Lukaku, Pogba and possibly DDG wants out. Even if we force them here they won't be happy
c- The likes of Matic, Young, Mata and Sanchez who were already meah or shit last season will be 1 year older
d- Other teams will strengthen themselves
e- Ole will possibly be one of the shittiest manager of all top 6 clubs. Pochs, Klopp, Pep and Emery are way better then the guy who was out of depth at Cardiff

In such circumstances I think there's a bigger chance of Ole being given the boot back to Molde then us making it to top 4
Well like I said Arsenal wont and Chelsea cant and while you call Ole the worst of the top 6 (a point I'd actually argue) you've only listed 4 managers so all he's got to do is be less shit than 3 of them and when the 4th is Arsenal that possible

devilish

Well like I said Arsenal wont and Chelsea cant and while you call Ole the worst of the top 6 (a point I'd actually argue) you've only listed 4 managers so all he's got to do is be less shit than 3 of them and when the 4th is Arsenal that possible
That's the right attitude from the biggest club in the world. Let's hope we squeeze in another championship player or two and maybe we will make it to top 4

Cathy Ferguson

Probably nothing in it, but considering the state we are in teams such as Wolves, Everton and Leicester must really fancy their chances of a top four finish next season. Arsenal and Chelsea are also in big trouble.

charlenefan

That's the right attitude from the biggest club in the world. Let's hope we squeeze in another championship player or two and maybe we will make it to top 4
Well what do you expect? We finished 32 points off 1st last season, did you expect to turn that around in one summer?

devilish

Well what do you expect? We finished 32 points off 1st last season, did you expect to turn that around in one summer?
No I expected the club to invest heavily to get us out of this hole.

charlenefan

No I expected the club to invest heavily to get us out of this hole.
Like I said even with all the money in the world signing more than 4 players was always going to be unlikely and not enough.

If we can get AWB and a CB while keeping the rest of the squad in tact it'll be a move in the right direction. Anyone we loose will obviously need replacing and the article does say that any money made through sales will be used to re-invest

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
100M net spend sounds about right, we're usually at those numbers.
Problem is, we need far more than that. We’ve finished 6th and we are way short of what’s needed.

Valencia left - an experienced player needs replaced. So AWB is coming for 55 million. That’s over half of the budget gone.

We desperately need an experienced right winger with a good pedigree. With all respect to Dan James - he’s not that. He cost at least 18 million — so how much do you think a player of a world class calibre would cost - at least 80 million. That’s 135 million on 2 players and 35 million over budget already.

We’ve lost Herrera, who needs replaced. I can’t even put a price on what a replacement would cost, but Herrera himself cost 30 million back in 2014, so 5 years later, in todays market, I’d double that. 60 million.

Replacement for Matic. 60 million.

Another centre back. 75 million.

We’re not even talking about adding to our already woeful squad. We’re talking about adding to gaps (Herrera, and possibly another midfielder, Valencia and a right winger) and clear deficiencies within the group (Young, Matic, Jones, Smalling, Mata, Lukaku and possibly Rashford) who are all pretty much first team players.

That’s 320 million to get our squad up to standard and even then, we’ll probably sell Pogba which will leave a huge hole.

I'm pretty sure it’s true. It would make absolute sense about not getting a dof in. As who would want to work with pittance and in such a mess?

Last edited:

Ziggy Starduster

How can you doubt that? When between James and wan bissaka we're already up to around 72m?
And? We haven’t bought AWB yet and I doubt we will spend more than £100m, or thereabouts, unless we sell first. I hope I’m wrong because we need to upgrade at least 4 positions but Ole has already stated 2-3 players before the end of the season.

Paxi

How much did you expect our budget to be? £100m before sales is not THAT bad.
Yes it is. It’s awful. When will people get with the times? You do know a world class player costs around 100 million in today’s market? You’ve Felix going for that who’s just a kid.

Seriously get your head out of the sand people.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Yes it is. It’s awful. When will people get with the times? You do know a world class player costs around 100 million in today’s market? You’ve Felix going for that who’s just a kid.

Calm down mate, particualrly when you are totally wrong. The best transfers in this windows, the best young players will most likely be among the several dozens of far cheaper transfers in the 10m to 50m range. Big transfers fees have never been better or guaranteed better players, you are mainly paying for things that aren't directly linked to actual on field performances.

hobbers

It's more likely to be backchannel briefing from the club to try and lower prices than an actual hard net spend limit, but regardless..

If money is that tight, pursuing such well-established British talent like AWB and Maguire is a total waste of time and nothing short of idiotic. There is no financial difference to Manchester United trying to sign the best young English players and Real trying to sign the best available continental players. They literally cost the same amounts now.

Paxi

Calm down mate, particualrly when you are totally wrong. The best transfers in this windows, the best young players will most likely be among the several dozens of far cheaper transfers in the 10m to 50m range. Big transfers fees have never been better or guaranteed better players, you are mainly paying for things that aren't directly linked to actual on field performances.
I’m particularly wrong in what exactly? That it takes and arm and a leg to get a player of a world class calibre? How much would Sancho cost? How much did Dembele cost? You’re out of your mind if you think you can pick players up for 10-50 million range. You properly can’t even get Pepe for that amount.

patty123

If its true then Ole is being set up to fail. £100 million isnt going to take us from 6th into the top 4 when the teams around us are also spending
Firstly I don't think even the Glaziers and Ed are that stupid to set up a legend to fall that was a major part of our success in the late 90's, early 2000's.

Secondly, right say all the paper rumours are true, wow I'll take the 100, why well paper rumours stated, Arsenal 40 million to spend, Spurs very little due to way over budget new ground, and then Chelsea, with someone who has less experience even than Ole in Frank, who just lost their best player, cant sign anyone.

So finally point, the top 2 be the same, and we will sneak fourth due to above reasons.

Havak

Pokemon master
I’m particularly wrong in what exactly? That it takes and arm and a leg to get a player of a world class calibre? How much would Sancho cost? How much did Dembele cost? You’re out of your mind if you think you can pick players up for 10-50 million range. You properly can’t even get Pepe for that amount.
Well we're not getting them then, are we? The club isn't going to blow that much money. We've actually never been a club that blows what I'd call ridiculous sums of money every few season. It isn't going to change this season of all seasons, especially when we've lost money through not qualifying for the Champion's League multiple times in recent history.

The signing of Ole and tying down the likes of Jones, Young, and Mata to additional years screams budget management. It's just how it is. Unless we sell big players, we won't be buying big players. I do feel we should be able to spend significantly more than Arsenal for example before sales, but unfortunately it seems like our current structure only warrants about £25m more than the Gunners this window. It also makes sense that Woodward is trying to haggle the price of Wan-Bissaka so much because that extra £5m or so could be very important to us. We all feel like we should be able to just write off sums of money like this, but sadly it seems that we are dreaming.

Paxi

Well we're not getting them then, are we? The club isn't going to blow that much money. We've actually never been a club that blows what I'd call ridiculous sums of money every few season. It isn't going to change this season of all seasons, especially when we've lost money through not qualifying for the Champion's League multiple times in recent history.

The signing of Ole and tying down the likes of Jones, Young, and Mata to additional years screams budget management. It's just how it is. Unless we sell big players, we won't be buying big players. I do feel we should be able to spend significantly more than Arsenal for example before sales, but unfortunately it seems like our current structure only warrants about £25m more than the Gunners this window. It also makes sense that Woodward is trying to haggle the price of Wan-Bissaka so much because that extra £5m or so could be very important to us. We all feel like we should be able to just write off sums of money like this, but sadly it seems that we are dreaming.
Precisely why people are getting worked up. When Woodward is blowing smoke up investors asses and talks how rosey things are. Where is that money when we’re in absolute dire need of it?

Yeah, we’ve never spent that much money because Sir Alex was a one off and a genius who could polish a turd.

I absolutely appreciate that we can’t just get 6-7 players in but the briefing was that Ole was looking at 5 players and that was from Simon Stone. That’s 20 million on average. I mean are we living in the past decade? If that’s what we thought our outlay on 4-5 players would be, that would improve our current squad, then we done fecking lost our minds.

I’d happily wager anyone that we will spend roughly £100 net this season and that our squad will be smaller and worse off come next season. £50.00 to charity of choice. I’m sorry but I’ve no reason to disbelieve this. With all the circumstantial evidence to back this up, it all points to £100 million net spend news being correct.

JPRouve

Scout
Your list is a typical example, Sancho, Dembélé, Felix and Pepe aren't world class players and they have their equivalents all over Europe who are currently in the 10m to 50m, the key is to identify them. The same way Salah was transferred the same summer Dembélé went to Barcelona for a third of his fee or Bernardo Silva for half of his fee. Your view is kind of blinkered because you base your fee valuation on exceptions that aren't even good ones in terms of return.
The players that you are targetting aren't the only players around and football history shows that a large amount of future world class players, the ones that will be considered as such in the next 5 years aren't the current flavour of the month and particularly expensive transfers, a large amount of the future world class players are the likes of Griezmann at Real Sociedad, Bernardo Silva at Monaco, Salah at Roma but also Robertson at Hull or even Arthur at Gremio. These are the type of players that we are supposed to find and these are the type of players that have actual "value in the market", not the likes of Felix for 120m.

dove

There won't be many clubs in the world with £100m+ net spend. Apart from Real Madrid who have spent feck all in recent years, I don't see anyone hitting this figure. Our problem in recent years isn't the lack of spending, it's how we spend it. I wouldn't trust our club even with £500m transfer budget, especially seeing us linked with the likes of Maguire. We are shite because we have no planning and direction whatsoever.

Paxi

Your list is a typical example, Sancho, Dembélé, Felix and Pepe aren't world class players and they have their equivalents all over Europe who are currently in the 10m to 50m, the key is to identify them. The same way Salah was transferred the same summer Dembélé went to Barcelona for a third of his fee or Bernardo Silva for half of his fee. Your view is kind of blinkered because you base your fee valuation on exceptions that aren't even good ones in terms of return.
The players that you are targetting aren't the only players around and football history shows that a large amount of future world class players, the ones that will be considered as such in the next 5 years aren't the current flavour of the month and particularly expensive transfers, a large amount of the future world class players are the likes of Griezmann at Real Sociedad, Bernardo Silva at Monaco, Salah at Roma but also Robertson at Hull or even Arthur at Gremio. These are the type of players that we are supposed to find and these are the type of players that have actual "value in the market", not the likes of Felix for 120m.
What you say is true, that there are other talents, but when have you known United not to get fleeced? Surely that’s basic knowledge. I mean James is the first signing in a while that came in cheap in relative terms. If we signed 4 other players who are of his stature, would you be confident going into next season?

Havak

Pokemon master
Precisely why people are getting worked up. When Woodward is blowing smoke up investors asses and talks how rosey things are. Where is that money when we’re in absolute dire need of it?

Yeah, we’ve never spent that much money because Sir Alex was a one off and a genius who could polish a turd.

I absolutely appreciate that we can’t just get 6-7 players in but the briefing was that Ole was looking at 5 players and that was from Simon Stone. That’s 20 million on average. I mean are we living in the past decade? If that’s what we thought our outlay on 4-5 players would be that would improve our current squad then we done fecking lost our minds.

I’d happily wager anyone that we will spend roughly £100 net this season and that our squad will be smaller and worse off come next season. £50.00 to charity of choice. I’m sorry but I’ve no reason to disbelieve this with all the circumstantial evidence to back this up.
I don't think anyone is actually disagreeing with your points, it's just that it isn't really worth arguing the toss of it anymore because these kind of figures are probably about right.

The club is having to compromise as it seems that we'll be lucky to get one player around the £50m mark because we'll have to settle for lesser targets elsewhere. Eg. If we got Wan-Bissaka he is probably the big signing unless Pogba or Lukaku move on to fund someone else. But at that point, it becomes a completely different argument anyway as you're spending mega money only to replace one of your big stars - it can still make your squad worse and it probably would.

I personally think we need a smaller squad as we've been running with probably the biggest overall squad in the League since LVG's first season, but the issue is that while it's a squad of international players, there are too many average ones. I'd rather trim the squad from 26-27 to more like 23 as long as the quality is at least slightly improved.

And yes, you're probably not far off with the last point. It's going to be difficult for us to have an obviously better squad next season now. We have to get the RB signing over the line, hopefully find a CB, and replace Herrera in midfield to even have an argument of being significantly better (whilst selling at least Darmian and one of our CB's to recoup hopefully around the £30m~ mark).

Paxi

I don't think anyone is actually disagreeing with your points, it's just that it isn't really worth arguing the toss of it anymore because these kind of figures are probably about right.

The club is having to compromise as it seems that we'll be lucky to get one player around the £50m mark because we'll have to settle for lesser targets elsewhere. Eg. If we got Wan-Bissaka he is probably the big signing unless Pogba or Lukaku move on to fund someone else. But at that point, it becomes a completely different argument anyway as you're spending mega money only to replace one of your big stars - it can still make your squad worse and it probably would.

I personally think we need a smaller squad as we've been running with probably the biggest overall squad in the League since LVG's first season, but the issue is that while it's a squad of international players, there are too many average ones. I'd rather trim the squad from 26-27 to more like 23 as long as the quality is at least slightly improved.

And yes, you're probably not far off with the last point. It's going to be difficult for us to have an obviously better squad next season now. We have to get the RB signing over the line, hopefully find a CB, and replace Herrera in midfield to even have an argument of being significantly better (whilst selling at least Darmian and one of our CB's to recoup hopefully around the £30m~ mark).
Well at least AWB looks like he’s coming in. Not seeing Young starting will always give me a lift before a game. We’ve kept hold of Mata, as much as I like the guy, it shows us that we won’t be adding a RW. If that’s true we’ve 30 million left for 2 CM’s one to replace Ander Herrera and another to replace Matic. If we going into this season with Matic waddling around like a heavily pregnant woman in our midfield then we’re fecked. Don’t get me wrong I’d absolutely love to be proved wrong. I’d love us to go and sign very good players by hook or by crook and get deals over the line before season starts.

I suspect things will come to a head this season, and there will be epic meltdown when inevitably Ole can’t work miracles. I don’t think he’s a right man for the job but he’s got it now and I’ll support him but when the shit hits the fan, that fan will be aimed squarely at Woodward and the Glazers.

JPRouve

Scout
What you say is true, that there are other talents, but when have you known United not to get fleeced? Surely that’s basic knowledge. I mean James is the first signing in a while that came in cheap in relative terms. If we signed 4 other players who are of his stature, would you be confident going into next season?
That's a different debate, your first point was about the transfer budget. Spending larger amounts on players that don't deserve it won't guarantee to make us better and it won't make our future targets cheaper. And truth be told, United is simply incompetent when it comes to identifying players and positioning itself in the market, because clubs as wealthy as we are, find ways to spend far less on players that are as good or better than the one we purchase. And sellers aren't stupid they know that these other clubs can pay as much as United. It's all about working the market, knowing about contracts and doing some dirty work behind the scene.

Our usual budgets is and has always been enough to build an excellent team but when you decide that you are going to pay 70m on Lukaku or 50m on Fred, you are an idiot and there is no other excuse. These players aren't bad but they aren't rare either, you only end up paying massive fees for these players when you go into the transfer window with a limited amount of options, the "I absolutely want that player mentality.".

Paxi

That's a different debate, your first point was about the transfer budget. Spending larger amounts on players that don't deserve it won't guarantee to make us better and it won't make our future targets cheaper. And truth be told, United is simply incompetent when it comes to identifying players and positioning itself in the market, because clubs as wealthy as we are, find ways to spend far less on players that are as good or better than the one we purchase. And sellers aren't stupid they know that these other clubs can pay as much as United. It's all about working the market, knowing about contracts and doing some dirty work behind the scene.

Our usual budgets is and has always been enough to build an excellent team but when you decide that you are going to pay 70m on Lukaku or 50m on Fred, you are an idiot and there is no other excuse. These players aren't bad but they aren't rare either, you only end up paying massive fees for these players when you go into the transfer window with a limited amount of options, the "I absolutely want that player mentality.".
That bolded part is correct. We could have bought Maguire from Hull. Robertson from Hull. Dembele from Rennes and plenty of others but we didn’t so it’s clear we’re fecking incompetent. I think my original point was that we need more than 100 million to have a good summer and I still stand by that. Once AWB comes, that will leave us with 30 odd million. Roughly enough for Tielemans, whom I really like but we need another 2 players imo. And that’s before we try to replace Pogba. Also, it looks like we’re being reactive in the market instead proactive which isn’t a great sign imo.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
Everyone is overlooking the major financial headwinds we are facing this summer due to the very weak strength of the pound. Not only does this mean players from European clubs cost us more than is reasonable, it means all those transfer fees we racked up in previous seasons (and that are still being paid off) cost us a lot more cash in current terms.

People talk about throwing around tens or hundreds of millions of pounds as if the club is free of commercial and macroeconomic trends.

You’ve got Brexit on the horizon in October as well, which if it goes badly, could further decimate the value of Sterling and mean that any Euro denominated transfers we agree this summer will end up costing us 20% more than budgeted over time. It’s no surprise we are looking to buy from British clubs - agreeing transfers in Euros would be pretty crazy at this point with all the uncertainty.

Last edited:

ottosec

ESPN "sources", eh? I suppose that as long as it fits the narrative, they are good enough.

Woodward has many flaws, but since he took over there was always money available.

vanderpants

Were do Real Madrid get there money from? Seeing as we are an elite club we don't spend that type of money , I like the way city do there business, they don't get there pants pulled down either

davidmichael

If and I say IF we only have £100 million to spend when there’s such glaring holes in the squad then I can guarantee right now that Woodward and the Glazer’s will feel a full backlash when they sack Ole for struggling to be anywhere near the top two and seeing a repeat of the season just gone.

Moyes, LVG and Jose never at any point had any connection to the club let along legendary and adored status like Ole and if Ole is being set up to fail and be made out to be the fall guy for another failed season it’ll backfire as the fans won’t turn on Ole, the blame will firmly be put at the door of Woodward and the Glazer’s.

Woodward’s obsession with spending lots of money on big names to sell shirts yet is basically square pegs in round holes and overruling managers suggested signings has seen us waste millions and the Glazer’s being clueless about football and keeping Woodward in his role simply based on his commercial nous has set us back years and it’s only going to get worse without a proper plan in direction and the correct structure in place.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Who says 350m will be well spent? Pogba is our best outfield player and we will downgrade whoever we bring in. Considering we paid 52m pounds for Fred, I have very little hope that we will spend wisely.
Pogba "can" be our best player but he's toxic. I am 100% behind selling him...

Sparkoz_1

So Ole isnt getting m
Pogba "can" be our best player but he's toxic. I am 100% behind selling him...
I think even if Old does want to sell him to bolster the squad his hands would be tied by Ed and the Glazers due to his commercial value....

DSG

Think about it. If you are the club, it’s not a bad thing to leak that we only have 100m to spend as it may soften asking prices for our targets.

If it were true, would we have offered 75m and a 14m contract for DeLigt?

On the other hand, leaking this story emboldens other clubs to come in for Lukaku, Pogba and DeGea with solid offers.

I do think there is a grain of truth to this. We DO want to sell, mostly to get rid of those who do not give a rat’s ass about the club.

devilish

Like I said even with all the money in the world signing more than 4 players was always going to be unlikely and not enough.

If we can get AWB and a CB while keeping the rest of the squad in tact it'll be a move in the right direction. Anyone we loose will obviously need replacing and the article does say that any money made through sales will be used to re-invest
Why? Other clubs are able to sign more then 4 players and that despite not being the 'biggest and the richest' club in the world, especially if 2 of these players are some kid from the Championship and a young player from Palace whose got no international caps unless you add the U21 games which include a fantastic own goal against France.

No one is expecting the Neymars or the Ronaldos here. All they are asking is for the club to take the football side seriously. Top players are leaving or want to leave, shit players were given contracts, we've been waiting for a DOF for over a year now and both our manager and our signings so far seem to be more appropriate to an EPL whose set to stick to the relegation zone then a club who is challenging for top honours. That's not good enough for a big club who truly have football as a priority.

As said though I don't believe this BS. If its true we wouldn't possibly blow more 65% of our budget on such low profile players who are 2-3 years away from actually fulfilling their potential (if they actually do) especially considering the mess we're in. We're stupid but not that stupid.

Last edited:

Fer

There are players that can improve our team and they won't cost a lot.

Alderweireld 25m
Meunier 25m
Rabiot 0
James 15m
Ziyech 25m
Tielemans 40m

It's also important to sell some players like Darmian, Rojo, Jones, Bailly, Sanchez, etc.

If we end up selling the players who want to leave (De Gea, Pogba and Lukaku), then we can go for top talents and better players like De Ligt, Sancho, Havertz, N'Dombele.