100m budget for 2019 Summer window

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Depressing transfer window. Im really dissapointed to club.
I'm very happy with the players we've brought in: Maguire, Wan-Bissaka, James
I'm very happy with the players we've sold: Lukaku, Rojo

So I think the business that we have done is great, but we have plenty of funds still available and had 3 months to have done more. I cannot understand why we have no interest in a new MF, and are content to play Matic, Mata & Fred...:rolleyes:

GamerKurisu

I'm very happy with the players we've brought in: Maguire, Wan-Bissaka, James
I'm very happy with the players we've sold: Lukaku, Rojo

So I think the business that we have done is great, but we have plenty of funds still available and had 3 months to have done more. I cannot understand why we have no interest in a new MF, and are content to play Matic, Mata & Fred...:rolleyes:
Can only hope it's to give Gomes/Garner a chance

Dr. StrangeHate

Nope, I agree with you. We clearly targeted two specific players to improve our defence and landed both. We went after a promising talent in James and got him. What we didn't do was overpay for players (as good as they are) like Dybala, SMS, Longstaff, Inaki, Icardi, Bruno, Rice, et al in terms of hefty fees or massive wage packets. I'm actually quite pleased to see us put our foot down towards the agents looking for a quick payday out of us - about time.

In fact, getting £100m for Lukaku and Rojo is excellent business in a vacuum. We obviously need another midfielder, there's no denying that but it's positive to me that we're not throwing money at the problem or overpaying the likes of Dybala and his agent just to sign for us.

Fingers crossed it works out.
I agree all that money is better in the Glazer's pocket then invested in the club.

kbbear

Well at least we will see how good the young players really are as he has to give them all more game time. “Can’t win anything with kids!”

Lee565

He spent a feck load of money, paid agents, paid the wages.

Hence why we got Falcao, Di Maria, Pogba, Sanchez (list goes on). All of those players were linked elsewhere, but we completely blew them away with ££'s.

Unless we all think they signed for the Reds because they loved us.
Isn't this the reality with most players joining premier league teams that they know the premier league is where the money is to make better wages, why would players prefer moving to wolves over Valencia or Milan? Man city haven't become one of the biggest clubs in Europe because players wanted to be a part of their "project".

And tbh I think its harsh to lump falcao in with the likes of Sanchez and di Maria, he joined on loan from Monaco and playing for man United would have been the biggest club he had played for at that time and by the looks of it it will be the biggest in his entire career, he probably believed and wanted to be a United 1st team striker.

As for pogba, even though a lot of it was money incentive, I think the lure of Mourinho's name and track record of winning things came into it slightly.

JoaquinJoaquin

Purse string have been tightened, its been evident since last summer really.

Our netspend this summer is £70m at the moment. This is without taking into account £10m which the club got for Fellaini in January. Rojo goes for rumored £25m? Our spend in calendar year 2019 would be a measly £35m. Just not good enough for a team which finished 6th last season.

Top reds/match going fans will still stand up and applaud everyone though, so it's unlikely we're gonna come out of this mess anytime soon.
This is the worrying thing for me, it seems the purse strings have been tightened well and truly so we won't even see a Summer of Di Maria etc ever again under this owndership. It will look like we will spend alot next Summer but that will just be our £65-70m budget and what we make back off Pogba. Club is finished while these parasites are in charge.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
I always thought it very unlikely we'd buy from Europe this window due to the weak pound, and so it has proved. The only one that looked possible was a swap deal for Dybala when we wouldn't have had to commit to spending in Euros.

gaffs

AWB and Maguire are good and much needed signings. If we dont add a goal scoring threat, either in midfield or a forward, then we are heading for another 5th or 6th place finish.

Dozer

"If we sell players we will have to replace them" - Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, 16.07.19

52 minutes to find a striker then.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Liars! We don't even manage to spend 100m net. We are still 30m short :mad:

Dozer

Mason Greenwood.
We can set high hopes with him, but not high expectations. It isn't reasonable to expect a 17 year old to come in and lead the line, as good as he is/will be.

podurban2

AWB and Maguire are good and much needed signings. If we dont add a goal scoring threat, either in midfield or a forward, then we are heading for another 5th or 6th place finish.
You can begin to speak in past tense now bud.

Jimmy_Bond

I really struggle to understand what so many United fans find so difficult to fathom.

In the 5 years directly after Ferguson left, we spent an absolute fortune, more than every other club in the world excluding City (on fees, but probably more than City if you include wages). Not a single one of these transfers have been a resounding success, and we have bloated our wage bill with players we've hardly seen in the last two years. These players are on huge contracts, and have offered sod all.

What we are experiencing now is a balancing of the books. We need to remove players on these contracts bit by bit, and ensure that all incomings are assessed with a tooth comb to ensure the highest possible chance of success.

We also need to get use out of some of the players who have come in and been mismanaged or misused, as their values have plummeted whilst their contracts and salaries have stayed the same.

We also need to re-establish an identity, and develop the talent we have coming through the academy, which from what we have seen, is of a high quality.

People will talk about net spend, but even this summer the net spend is higher than the type of net spend Klopp and Pochettino have had to contend with over the years to get their clubs where they are now.

The gravy train is over. The problems have to be solved by changing the philosophy both on and off the pitch, and not throwing money at problems and losing our entire identity as a club in the process.

I'm happy with the summer business. I'm convinced Maguire and AWB will be resounding successes, and this will improve us tenfold at the back.

I'm also convinced that the players are ten times fitter and ten times happier than this time last year, and will go into the season with a clear style of play and philosophy for the first time in God knows how long...

I'm also excited by the development of the young players, and hope to see the likes of Greenwood and Gomes grow and turn into first team players and internationals, much like Kane and Alli did at Spurs. They need a place in the team and an environment to flourish in order to do this. Not another couple of exotic signings who turn out to be crap blocking their way.

Time to stop moaning and support the team. Those who have half an ounce of rational and sense will stop throwing your toys out of the pram and demanding that we solve problems by bloating the wage bill with yet more £60m players from crap leagues who you've never seen play.

It's small steps this summer, but for the first time in a while, they're in the correct direction.

Reactions: Ødegaard

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
We can set high hopes with him, but not high expectations. It isn't reasonable to expect a 17 year old to come in and lead the line, as good as he is/will be.
Said nothing about that. You wanted to know who he’s being replaced with, and that’s who.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
When Arsenal with a small budget has a better transfer window "on paper" than Man Utd to me (only in terms of # of player coming in. A LB, RW, CM on loan, and may be a CB ), something is very wrong for Man Utd with so much money. It makes the manager's job a lot harder. You guys lost 2 CM and a striker and decided not to replace them. I am afraid OGS may not last long.

Stacks

What is proves is United give 2 fecks if they make CL. After last season a serious team would of done what Real did. Ok we missed the CL and came SIXTH, this is not acceptable to let's reach these suckers a thing or do and splash 200mill net and put Spurs and Arsenal in their place

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
I really struggle to understand what so many United fans find so difficult to fathom.

In the 5 years directly after Ferguson left, we spent an absolute fortune, more than every other club in the world excluding City (on fees, but probably more than City if you include wages). Not a single one of these transfers have been a resounding success, and we have bloated our wage bill with players we've hardly seen in the last two years. These players are on huge contracts, and have offered sod all.

What we are experiencing now is a balancing of the books. We need to remove players on these contracts bit by bit, and ensure that all incomings are assessed with a tooth comb to ensure the highest possible chance of success.

We also need to get use out of some of the players who have come in and been mismanaged or misused, as their values have plummeted whilst their contracts and salaries have stayed the same.

We also need to re-establish an identity, and develop the talent we have coming through the academy, which from what we have seen, is of a high quality.

People will talk about net spend, but even this summer the net spend is higher than the type of net spend Klopp and Pochettino have had to contend with over the years to get their clubs where they are now.

The gravy train is over. The problems have to be solved by changing the philosophy both on and off the pitch, and not throwing money at problems and losing our entire identity as a club in the process.

I'm happy with the summer business. I'm convinced Maguire and AWB will be resounding successes, and this will improve us tenfold at the back.

I'm also convinced that the players are ten times fitter and ten times happier than this time last year, and will go into the season with a clear style of play and philosophy for the first time in God knows how long...

I'm also excited by the development of the young players, and hope to see the likes of Greenwood and Gomes grow and turn into first team players and internationals, much like Kane and Alli did at Spurs. They need a place in the team and an environment to flourish in order to do this. Not another couple of exotic signings who turn out to be crap blocking their way.

Time to stop moaning and support the team. Those who have half an ounce of rational and sense will stop throwing your toys out of the pram and demanding that we solve problems by bloating the wage bill with yet more £60m players from crap leagues who you've never seen play.

It's small steps this summer, but for the first time in a while, they're in the correct direction.
Agreed. Hopefully it is being done with a long term plan to get back on track rather than simply cost cutting to maintain profits.

lsd

The Oracle
Turns out it was all bollocks.

It was £75m in the end.

Yes because Ed is a fortune teller and knew Lukaku would be sold and Dybala would want too much money to replace him

izzydiggler

It's funny reading the first few pages of the thread are almost entirely "Bollocks", "Ogden knows feck all", "it's June FFS" etc etc. Now it's desparation to put a positive spin on it, absolutely no admission that they were wrong and have been fooled.

Says it all really...we could get relegated and there'd be people claiming it was a good thing so the rebuild could properly start, that it's all about the future because you can't change the past and we need patience.

That there isn't total fan uproar, and still many apologists, especially from the people who actually contribute financially, is the reason why they get away with it and nothing will change.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Net spend of less than £100m in the end?
Over the last 2 summers, net spend is roughly £120m I think?

Embarrassing and no ambition in this board whatsoever. Top 4 is all they care about and I don't think we've got enough for that

el3mel

It's funny reading the first few pages of the thread are almost entirely "Bollocks", "Ogden knows feck all", "it's June FFS" etc etc. Now it's desparation to put a positive spin on it, absolutely no admission that they were wrong and have been fooled.

Says it all really...we could get relegated and there'd be people claiming it was a good thing so the rebuild could properly start, that it's all about the future because you can't change the past and we need patience.

That there isn't total fan uproar, and still many apologists, especially from the people who actually contribute financially, is the reason why they get away with it and nothing will change.
Funny isn't it, especially when we have done exactly the same last summer but people still thought this is 100% BS.

Next season we sell Pogba and end with a net spend less than 100m again.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
Woodie done his best to save face. briefed the media a lot. discussed deals with Juve and Spurs, either pulled out or complained deal couldnt be made.

If we had a budget then fair enough - offer and flog deadwood sooner, but his antics in pretending to be in genuine negotiations to appease sponsors and fans is so obvious and shambolic.

Johan77

Read this somewhere....

#mufc have earned £1.2billion over the last 2 seasons - total outlay on players including the Lukaku sale, lies at a paltry £111m since end of summer winsdow 2017

thats 9% of turnover reinvested in squad. disgraceful, United fans are having pants pulled every year

elnorte

Freaky fly day
Yes because Ed is a fortune teller and knew Lukaku would be sold and Dybala would want too much money to replace him
Perhaps he should have been better prepared in the first place? It's not like this is his first season trying his hand at this either.

Esquire

The ambition, or lack of, of this club seems pretty clear with the outlay for the past two summers. Good luck OGS.

Josep Dowling

We had an option to loan out Rojo. Everton would have paid his wages and we didn’t. If this is all about balancing the books why was he not loaned out if we don’t use him and no one wants to buy him?

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
Read this somewhere....

#mufc have earned £1.2billion over the last 2 seasons - total outlay on players including the Lukaku sale, lies at a paltry £111m since end of summer winsdow 2017

thats 9% of turnover reinvested in squad. disgraceful, United fans are having pants pulled every year
To add to that, we had 193m in liquid assets, mostly being cash by the end of March 2019 according to our financial statements. This makes lack of spending even more suprising. Although it did worsen from the 247m we had at the start of the financial year.

red4ever 79

Sold down the river. Season ticket renewals done, new kit out and sold well. Minimal investment in the team. Thank you Glazers, Thank you Ed.

Johan07

Mason Greenwood.
Its obvious that Greenwood is going to get some serious minutes this year. If we did get in a Mandzukic as a stop-gap replacement for Lukaku; Greenwoods minutes would suffer. Its obvious that OGS is placing trust in that Martial and Rashford taking additional steps this season. They are Lukakus "replacements"; not Greenwood. He will get playing time for sure though.
Its funny also how fickle fans are; almost everyone is crying for Greenwood to get minutes and then lambasting the club when we get rid of a player that noone wants here anymore in Lukaku and doing it with the idea to put faith in youth instead; which is also what 95 percent of the fanbase has been crying for.
I have no problem with our offensive setup this year and how we have handled it. Greenwood is special and James looks pretty darn good so far.
Still pissed about us doing nothing at CM though. Thats going to come back and bite us in the a....

Alabaster Codify7

The rumour was right all along!

The only thing that wasn't anticipated was Longstaff. We probably assumed he'd be sold for -30m, Newcastle didn't budge, so we ended up with less than 100m spend.

I hope a lot of fans no longer claim certain journalists, or posters, are talking shite in the future when it comes to rumours like this. Blind faith is a scary thing.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Don't worry, he'll hit that magic number next week when we sell Pogba :nervous:
I expect Darmian/Rojo will get us even closer.

We've genuiney swapped places with Spurs haven't we? mental.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
The rumour was right all along!

The only thing that wasn't anticipated was Longstaff. We probably assumed he'd be sold for -30m, Newcastle didn't budge, so we ended up with less than 100m spend.

I hope a lot of fans no longer claim certain journalists, or posters, are talking shite in the future when it comes to rumours like this. Blind faith is a scary thing.
I realise I'm talking to a wall at this point but it very clearly wasn't true, because that is fundamentally not how transfer spend is budgeted.

The One and Only

Absolutely. If the fans don't do everything they can to get these leeches out of the club, then we will be stuck in mediocrity for the foreseeable future. This is not a club anymore. It's purely a business.

Yet anothers of watching Liverpool and City fighting for major honours while we struggle to make top 4

Stacks

The players on huge contracts are due to us renewing contracts of shit players in recent years. Sanchez is the only player who was a big signing who flopped that we cannot sell. We choose to renew Lingard Mata Jones Smalling Rojo Pereira etc. We just sold Lukaku Herrera and Fellaini who were part of the players signed post Fergie. Many of the others have already been moved on Depay, Bastian, Zlatan , Schnerderlin so I think you got them all confused.

How does one know the talent coming through is high quality when they have zero 1st team apps and are complete unknowns?

Poch could not spend due to stadium restrictions. This was negated by him being a world class manager. After a great season last year, they have now decided to kick on and break the bank (by their standards) as they have ambition

Klopp too is a world class manager used to working wonders on small budgets but once Liverpool could, they broke the bank so they can kick on. My concern is that Ole body of work suggests he is a S-rank manager so the only shot he has is if we give him the players to so the job atleast. I feel he has been left hanging.

Kane and Alli had already many 1st team games under their belt so you are seriously jumping the gun regarding Gomes and Mason. There is every chance they may not even make it here. Bojan is currently playing in the championship for Stoke. Just food for thought.......