100m budget for 2019 Summer window

GamerKurisu

It’s Fred and Pereira that will get undeserved chances. Would rather see McT, Gomes, and Garner.
Man I just watched more replays of them two v Rotherham, they need a chance! I will be so so gutted if Gomes ends up leaving, last time I felt like that about a player is when we didn't get Ronaldinho over the line! But if you think about it.

I just feel like in our current state we are relying on too many players having to step up.

Le Red

Do you really think a multi-billion £ organisation with a Financial invester/accountant as Executive Vice-Chairman, is not going to chair a meeting after the worst season in years and outline a stratergy/financial plan for the coming year?
You're looking at the wrong way. From Woodward's and the Glazer's standpoint it was a very successful season, because they made lots of money.
Does anyone still believe that Woodward cares if we're a shit team?
A few years back the goal was to be in UCL. Now that he knows the money keeps rolling in even without UCL the only goal WW has is to keep us where we are now: EL garbage with a strong brand. Eventual UCL qualification is now just a plus.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
I guess this was fake news like arsenal's 45 million dollar budget
You are right.
We had a net spend of about £75M I think it was, so our budget was actually lower.
Arsenal's budget was higher due to their ambitions.

I normally write that 4th place is our target, but I am beginning to think that perhaps Woodward is targeting 6th place.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Can only hope it's to give Gomes/Garner a chance
Woodward has been in charge for 6+ years. After all that time, you still believe this?
You cannot be serious. If you are, I have a time share to sell you, which will see you earn 10% ROI. All you need to do is transfer the funds to my account and I will draw up the paperwork.

nainaisson

In the 5 years directly after Ferguson left, we spent an absolute fortune, more than every other club in the world excluding City (on fees, but probably more than City if you include wages). Not a single one of these transfers have been a resounding success, and we have bloated our wage bill with players we've hardly seen in the last two years. These players are on huge contracts, and have offered sod all.
If we were so concerned about our bloated wage bill, we wouldn't keep giving poor and aging players contract extensions. Players like Smalling, Jones, Young, Rojo, and Mata should be encouraged to leave as soon as possible so we can replace them with players of a standard that befits the size and status of the club. However, we won't force them out because it's cheaper to keep crap players on the wage bill than it is to spend the increasingly exorbitant transfer fees to replace them.

It all comes down to spending as little as possible, despite the fact that the club could spend half a billion in each transfer window without worrying about violating FFP restrictions. Usually, we only spend enough in each window to keep the squad competitive for Champions League places, but after the past few windows, I'm not entirely sure that's true anymore.

Ballist1x

If we were so concerned about our bloated wage bill, we wouldn't keep giving poor and aging players contract extensions. Players like Smalling, Jones, Young, Rojo, and Mata should be encouraged to leave as soon as possible so we can replace them with players of a standard that befits the size and status of the club. However, we won't force them out because it's cheaper to keep crap players on the wage bill than it is to spend the increasingly exorbitant transfer fees to replace them.

It all comes down to spending as little as possible, despite the fact that the club could spend half a billion in each transfer window without worrying about violating FFP restrictions. Usually, we only spend enough in each window to keep the squad competitive for Champions League places, but after the past few windows, I'm not entirely sure that's true anymore.
Truth is we've bought incredibly badly season after season for a long while now.

The board and the owners are probably sick of slashing out only to lose millions on these players who fail and are either a write off or worth a tiny fraction of their buy price.

I think past managers have been supported and bad contracts have been given, leading to this situation.

Do I wish we had spent more and bought a midfielder? Yes.

Are the board skeotucal having taken a bath on Fellaini, losing Hererra on a free and possibly being forced to write Sanchez off? That's the equivalent of £60m plus write off there.

Not to mention Fred who looks like a £50m write off currently.

Last edited by a moderator:

Scholsey2004

Truth is we've bought incredibly badly season after season for a long while now.

The board and the owners are probably sick of slashing out only to lose millions on these players who fail and are either a write off or worth a tiny fraction of their buy price.

I think past managers have been supported and bad contracts have been given, leading to this situation.

Do I wish we had spent more and bought a midfielder? Yes.

Are the board skeotucal having taken a bath on Fellaini, losing Hererra on a free and possibly being forced to write Sanchez off? That's the equivalent of £60m plus write off there.

Not to mention Fred who looks like a £50m write off currently.
I suspect that Ed Woodward has been the leading figure in a lot of our previous signings. There's a tendency to maintain the same transfer targets after a manager gets sacked for instance, which suggests Woodward pushes on with those targets rather than wasting the groundwork he's already put in. That would be understandable if we were then bringing in a manager with the same MO but that isn't usually the case.