11 United players contracts expiring in the summer

Havak

Pokemon master
Every add-on will be activated even if just for the hell of it. Out of the ones who are extended, Darmian will definitely go. Martial could go if someone is willing to offer big enough money (£50m+), but if Mata were to leave then I think it'd take a very big offer for us to let Martial go elsewhere.

Out of Young, Mata, Herrera, Smalling, Shaw, and Jones... I think we definitely need to feck Jones off firstly. I think Young would be offered a one-year contract if Darmian was sold as we expect. Mata and Herrera are at an age where we won't offer them big contracts, so they could look elsewhere. I think Herrera would give it a try though if we aren't looking to purchase another top CM. Smalling & Shaw are the only two I'd be somewhat desperate to keep. We can't sell Smalling & Jones at the same time when Bailly & Lindelof aren't cutting it yet. Smalling is considerably more reliable than Jones, so that one is an easy decision.

A mass exodus rarely occurs at United and we don't even know what our managerial situation will be, but I'd say at worst we would lose:

- Darmian
- Jones
- Herrera
- Mata/Martial

From the list in the OP. There's a couple not in that list in our squad who could leave as well, however.

Last edited:

Alabaster Codify7

What I realistically see happening:

• Ashley Young (33) - STAYS
  • Antonio Valencia (33) – Optional 1 year addon. STAYS
  • Juan Mata (30) - STAYS
  • Ander Herrera (29) - LEAVES
  • Matteo Darmian (28) – Optional 1 year addon. LEAVES
  • Chris Smalling (28) - STAYS
  • David De Gea (28) – Optional 1 year addon. - NO RENEWAL - LEAVES WHENEVER ALLOWED (unsure if the 1yr is mutual or our decision only)
  • Phil Jones (26) - LEAVES
  • Luke Shaw (23) - STAYS
  • Anthony Martial (22) – Optional 1 year addon. - STAYS (IF JOSE LEAVES)
  • Andreas Pereira (22) – Optional 1 year addon. - SEE ABOVE.

Devil may care

Ashley Young (33)
Antonio Valencia (33) – Optional 1 year addon.
Juan Mata (30)
Ander Herrera (29)
Matteo Darmian (28) – Optional 1 year addon.
Phil Jones (26)

I think these should all go, a couple might even go in January

Chris Smalling (28)
David De Gea (28) – Optional 1 year addon.
Luke Shaw (23)
Anthony Martial (22) – Optional 1 year addon.
Andreas Pereira (22) – Optional 1 year addon.

I'd give these 5 new contracts, I think Smalling has been pretty reliable over the last couple of years and did well for a spell under LvG, he's not someone I'd want to be the main starter he is now but you need depth and he's proven way more useful than Rojo, Jones and Lindelof.​

Reiver

Move heaven and Earth to get Dave signed to a new contract. Exercise the options on Pereira and Martial, get Shaw resigned and I won't be too upset if any of the rest go.
This is exactly what I would do too. Quite happy to say thanks and goodbye to the rest.

Canagel

keep DDG, Smalling, Shaw, Martial and Periera.
The rest can go.

el3mel

keep DDG, Smalling, Shaw, Martial and Periera.
The rest can go.
Let's imagine this happened. We'll end up with a situation like this :

Defense : Smalling, Rojo, Lindelof, Bailly
Right back position : Dalot
Left back position : Shaw
Attack : Martial, Lukaku, Rashford, Sanchez, Lingard
Midfield : Fellaini, Fred, Pogba, Periera, Matic

Doesn't it look we'll be severely lacking in options at several positions ? We'll have to sign at least 5 signings to compensate for all these outgoings. They might be deadwood but they're still bench options.

I'm not sure we're going to land 5 signings a summer.

Smores

Don't know what people are concerned about, they were jumping up and down in joy at Woodward not signing people not so long ago.

Very forseeble issue.

nikineil

Doesn't it look we'll be severely lacking in options at several positions ? We'll have to sign at least 5 signings to compensate for all these outgoings. They might be deadwood but they're still bench options.

But we also have 5 youngsters out on loan, no? Realistically, of those 5 needed, I see at least TFM and Tuanzebe getting a shot. Gomes might be knocking the door as might be Greenwood. Even Chong might not be too far off.

Maybe, just maybe.

el3mel

But we also have 5 youngsters out on loan, no? Realistically, of those 5 needed, I see at least TFM and Tuanzebe getting a shot. Gomes might be knocking the door as might be Greenwood. Even Chong might not be too far off.

Maybe, just maybe.
Chong, Greenwood and Gomez are definitely not ready for this level of football at any time soon. It'll be unfair to them.

Probably TFM and Tuanzebe but that will support the defense, the rest of positions are still severely lacking.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Phil Jones got to go, probably Young, Darmian and Mata as well.

cyberman

Don't know what people are concerned about, they were jumping up and down in joy at Woodward not signing people not so long ago.

Very forseeble issue.
Exactly. The next manager could be left with a broken first 11 with no squad depth.
But hey, gotta deprive the club of a summers activity cause we hate the manager right?

Mainoldo

Chong, Greenwood and Gomez are definitely not ready for this level of football at any time soon. It'll be unfair to them.

Probably TFM and Tuanzebe but that will support the defense, the rest of positions are still severely lacking.
Depends who’s the manager. 4 signings should do it a LB, RB, CB and RW. Good summer business.

Canagel

It's just defence that looks a bit short.
Young and Valencia should both leave imo and their positions be taken by TFM and Tuanzebe and then I suppose if we add another CB the defence looks good. Jones and Darmian don't need explaining.

Midfield is fine because Herrera doesn't play anyway so it's not a major loss. And Mata can be upgraded on.
That should leave us needing all together:
1 CB
1 DM to rotate and eventually replace Matic
1 RW
And possibly another LB

POF

These players will be out of contract in the summer:

• Ashley Young (33)
  • Antonio Valencia (33) – Optional 1 year addon.
  • Juan Mata (30)
  • Ander Herrera (29)
  • Matteo Darmian (28) – Optional 1 year addon.
  • Chris Smalling (28)
  • David De Gea (28) – Optional 1 year addon.
  • Phil Jones (26)
  • Luke Shaw (23)
  • Anthony Martial (22) – Optional 1 year addon.
  • Andreas Pereira (22) – Optional 1 year addon.
Source: United.no

Who do you want to stay?

Who do you think would want to leave in our current situation?
I honestly can't believe that. What a terrible position to be in. How has the club allowed so many player contracts come so close to expiry, especially in the current market where even average players are moving for £30-40m? Next summer's entire transfer budget could be just replacing players walking out the door.

If Smalling leaves, the defence would be an utter shambles. If I was another top Premier league club I would be all over Shaw.

Herrera and Mata aren't playing much but are some of the few players in the group with the right mentality. Even more worrying, if they leave, what impact will that have on De Gea?

This is a shambolic situation. The club needs a Director of Football so badly.

el3mel

It's just defence that looks a bit short.
Young and Valencia should both leave imo and their positions be taken by TFM and Tuanzebe and then I suppose if we add another CB the defence looks good. Jones and Darmian don't need explaining.

Midfield is fine because Herrera doesn't play anyway so it's not a major loss. And Mata can be upgraded on.
That should leave us needing all together:
1 CB
1 DM to rotate and eventually replace Matic
1 RW
And possibly another LB
TFM and Tuanzebe are defenders not fullbacks. They can play backs at emergence just like playing Jones there but it's not their position, won't be there long term and won't provide any attacking intent from there at all. We'll be like playing with 3 CBs and 1 FB.

They'll cover for defense but the other options will be severely lacking.

1 fullback on both sides, one of them is 19.
5 midfielders for 3 positions. We don't even know how Matic and Fellaini will be like next season. Maybe the decline will already hit them and will a burden.
5 attackers for 3 positions, one of them we don't know if he still has it or not (Sanchez), as Matic and Fellaini, the decline may hit and starting to become burden like current Valencia

conclusion is this lineup will have zero depth and the bench will be severely with the main lineup won't be even that good. You can't let 6 players go in one summer without replacing, even if they're deadwood, they're still options.

We'll need 4-5 signings at least, and with the current prices and our small budget, we'll be lucky to get 2. Otherwise that will be LVG second season all over again, when we entered the season with Rooney, Mata, Depay and Martial as our attacking options and we all know what happened next.

sp_107

• Ashley Young (33)
  • Juan Mata (30)
  • Ander Herrera (29)
  • Chris Smalling (28)
  • Phil Jones (26)
  • Luke Shaw (23)

Who do you want to stay?

Young / Velencia / Mata / Herrera / Darmian and Jones can leave (6)

Need to keep these 5
DDG / Martial / Shaw / Andreas and Smalling

6 + 1 (Rojo) =7 can get OUT and remaining 5 should Stay

Red00012

Leave jones and darmian go keep the rest , realistically I can only see darmian leaving , he will prob sign a new contract and get some fee for him in the summer then.

redshaw

Keep De Gea, Shaw. Keep Mata Smalling as squad players. If big wages are needed for the latter two then see you.

Martial is a tricky one. Add a year if possible.

Ekeke

I'd extend Mata, Ander, Smalling, De Gea, Jones, Shaw, Martial and Pereira.

However the extension for Mata should be done now and in the summer we should find a new home for him. I'd extend the contract so he isnt leaving for free because I think for a medium sized team or as a squad option for a fairly big team he can still do a job and be worth some money.

But his level here in our system isn't good enough and I'd rather keep Lingard than him.

Andersons Dietician

People seriously have goldfish memory regarding Smalling. Just because he's the least worst of a horrific bunch doesn't mean he is any good. Get rid.
I think it’s more that people watch football and can see that he is actually a pretty good CB, to lose him right now would be stupid, he is certainly worth giving a contract just to keep as a back up option.

Mibabalou

53', 93', 94', 99', 90+1', 90+3', 26', 34'
  • Ashley Young (33) - leave
  • Antonio Valencia (33) – Optional 1 year add-on. - leave
  • Juan Mata (30) - leave
  • Ander Herrera (29) - 1 year deal
  • Matteo Darmian (28) – Optional 1 year add-on. - leave
  • Chris Smalling (28) - leave
  • David De Gea (28) – Optional 1 year add-on. 4 year deal worth 400k
  • Phil Jones (26) - leave
  • Luke Shaw (23) - 2/3 year deal
  • Anthony Martial (22) – Optional 1 year add-on. keep
  • Andreas Pereira (22) – Optional 1 year add-on. keep

we need to be more ruthless with the average players; were not catching up to city with most of this lot

Charlie Foley

• Ashley Young (33)
  • Juan Mata (30)
  • Ander Herrera (29)
  • Chris Smalling (28)
  • Phil Jones (26)
  • Luke Shaw (23)

Who do you want to stay?

The ones in bold can leave.

Can a player with an optional 1 year add on negotiate with another club in the last 6 months of his contract if that add on has not yet been triggered?

Say in February DDG agrees a contract with RM. The optional 1 year add on is then void?

I'd give Mata a short extension. I don't think age is going to affect him much as he's slow as feck anyway. Pereira, Martial, Shaw, DDG, Smalling we need to sign on pronto. I'd also extend Herrera for a year.

Zlatattack

As I mentioned in my post, we have decent youth options to try. TFM, Taunzebe, Mitchell, Chong, Gomes. They can't do worse than the bunch we have now.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Darmian will almost certainly be gone in January for pennies on the dollar.

RedDevil@84

• Ashley Young (33) - leave
  • Antonio Valencia (33) – Optional 1 year add-on. - leave
  • Juan Mata (30) - leave
  • Ander Herrera (29) - 1 year deal
  • Matteo Darmian (28) – Optional 1 year add-on. - leave
  • Chris Smalling (28) - leave
  • David De Gea (28) – Optional 1 year add-on. 4 year deal worth 400k
  • Phil Jones (26) - leave
  • Luke Shaw (23) - 2/3 year deal
  • Anthony Martial (22) – Optional 1 year add-on. keep
  • Andreas Pereira (22) – Optional 1 year add-on. keep

we need to be more ruthless with the average players; were not catching up to city with most of this lot
And how will we replace so many players?? Woodward struggles to negotiate 1 or 2 deals in a window

SAFMUTD

I wanted to make this thread but wasn´t allowed because of the new member stuff. Great post I think its worth the discussion, if we are looking for a masive rebuild (which we should) this is the time. IMO we should not renew several players, yes we would take a hit by letting them go freely but it would be really really hard to sell them with the wages they have. We masively overpay most of our players, even players that arrived to the team without the prestige.

• Ashley Young (33) - Current salary £110,000- Let go
  • Antonio Valencia (33) – Current salary £100,000 -Let go
  • Juan Mata (30) - Current salary £140,000 - Let go
  • Ander Herrera (29) - Current salary £75,000 - Trigger one year option then let go
  • Matteo Darmian (28) – Current salary £60,000 - Let go
  • Chris Smalling (28) - Current salary £80,000 - offer £100,000 at most if not then let him go Depends on wages asked
  • David De Gea (28) – Current Salary £200,000 - Keep
  • Phil Jones (26) - Current salary £50,000 - Let go
  • Luke Shaw (23) - Current salary £70,000 - Upgrade to £110,000 tops Keep
  • Anthony Martial (22) – Optional 1 year addon - Current salary £75,000 - Keep
  • Andreas Pereira (22) – Optional 1 year addo - Current salary £18,000 - Keep
If we let go all the deadwood and lower the contracts of players who dont deserve the wages we can make room to bring some quality.

We have a squad that is full with medium table level players, as mentioned in a post before we need to be more demanding about the quality of the players in the squad.

We should not settle for players that clearly do not challenge for the XI spot. Players like Darmian, Mata, Herrera, Rojo that have been in the club for years and clearly are not getting any better, we need to ship them out. We are to patient with players, you are either XI quality or fighting for it or you´re out it´s that simple.

Last edited:

Web of Bissaka

• Ashley Young (33)
  • Juan Mata (30)
  • Ander Herrera (29)
  • Chris Smalling (28)
  • Phil Jones (26)
  • Luke Shaw (23)

Who do you want to stay?
Stay definitely: De Gea, Martial, Pereira.
Stay: Shaw, Smalling.
Depends (their form and injuries are worrying): Mata, Herrera.
Maybe (for cover): Young.

Don't care about the rest.

Ashley R1+O

Damnnnnnn... Phil Jones is only 26??!
One for the weird feelings of football thread for sure. Did a double take at that. Made me feel old, or something.

Offering Valencia a new deal would raise more questions at this point than it would answer. It should not happen at all.

Keep Smalling, De Gea, Shaw, Martial, H and P reirera. Move on from the rest.

haram

Why has Jones not been sold already. The guy is going to leave on a free after years of being injured here and barely playing.

el3mel

As I mentioned in my post, we have decent youth options to try. TFM, Taunzebe, Mitchell, Chong, Gomes. They can't do worse than the bunch we have now.
These lads are nowhere ready for first team football at Premier League. Feels delusional to think that tbh.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
These lads are nowhere ready for first team football at Premier League. Feels delusional to think that tbh.
I don't know about Mitchell, but he seems to be doing well in Scotland, but Gomes and Chong get knocked over if there is the slightest gust of wind. Think the potential is there with the right manager, but Jose would not have the patience with them. Gomes is too lightweight at the moment.

el3mel

I don't know about Mitchell, but he seems to be doing well in Scotland, but Gomes and Chong get knocked over if there is the slightest gust of wind. Think the potential is there with the right manager, but Jose would not have the patience with them. Gomes is too lightweight at the moment.
I'm not saying they don't have potential, of course they have. They are still several years away from being able to compete with premier league defenders so far. Throwing them in fire now will be more like unfair to them imo.

Fracture90

Exactly. The next manager could be left with a broken first 11 with no squad depth.
But hey, gotta deprive the club of a summers activity cause we hate the manager right?
Are you referring to us not signing another CB this past summer?

Zlatattack

Maybe you've watched them play, I haven't. I just think they can't do any worse than McTomminay or some of the others. Darmian is a grown man who's got no business in the Premier league. I'm not suggesting we place 6 squad players with the youth team, just saying as an option it's no worse than what we have now.

When Mitchell was at Hearts people were saying good things about him. Surely it makes sense to let him deputise for Shaw than Darmian.

wolvored

Perhaps some of the players have been touted around the clubs and no one wants to buy our dross, or wouldnt match the wage, or too old, whatever.
De Gea, possibly Shaw, Martial and Periera due to their age, deserve a new contract. As for the rest, they are now not good enough, all average players and/or injury prone and/or too old, for a team that we should be aiming to be.