11 United players contracts expiring in the summer

Maccataq

Juan Mata.. I think will go. He's such a likable guy, he gives us a lot from set-pieces and does contribute to the side. However, I think he has just never really fit into the way we've played under any of the managers he's played under (which is odd considering how good he was at Chelsea under Mourinho). It always seemed like we tried to buy more players who liked to play at no.10 instead of playing him there. I hate to sound disrespectful as he's a very good player, but sometimes, particularly in away games with him out wide, it felt like we were playing with 10 men. He should look for a new challenge and unfortunately, it might be at a club who won't be challenging for trophies. If he stays in the Premier League, it'd have to be somewhere like Leicester or West Ham.
Mourinho sold Mata to us as he wasn't playing him. He was Chelsea player of the year 2 years in a row before that but it wasn't under Jose.

I know what you are saying but I really think we should keep Mata. He is a great pro, he really gets Utd as a club and he is an excellent player. I understand that he probably doesn't suit a high pressing game and ideally should play at 10 but he is great for tight games and conducting attacks, especially against teams that park the bus. I think it is a touch disrespectful to suggest it's like we are playing with 10 men, I think much of the problem is that we are weak at right back. I'll be sad if he leaves but if he does he would be able to play at much better clubs than Leicester or West Ham, especially if he moved to Italy or Spain.

Fosu-Mens

That Shaw info is terrible. When extended, why did he need those wages to remain at United? What club was willing to offer him those wages, and offer him the prestige that comes with United? It's crazy. It always pains me to see the wage bill of say Spurs, for players that could leave Spurs for greener pastures and yet they're making less than our players.
He is not alone in getting stupid contracts.
Fred on £120k until 2023
Lukaku on £200k until 2022
Sanchez on £350k until 2022
Rojo on £80k until 2021
Fellaini £100k until 2020

Good luck selling these players for any amount.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Unless we've got about 8 tranfers already lined up and agreed we're going to have to try and get all of them barring one or two on new contracts.

Literally none of the players on that list haven't been needed in the first team at some point this season.

JMack1234

I wouldn't be surprised if Mata decides to leave.

He's a likeable guy and a good player but he's also very smart and he must know that in all likelihood the future direction of United won't suit him. If I was him i'd move to a decent sized Spanish club like Sevilla or Valencia and see the last years of my career out back home in the sun.

Patrick08

He's a likeable guy and a good player but he's also very smart and he must know that in all likelihood the future direction of United won't suit him. If I was him i'd move to a decent sized Spanish club like Sevilla or Valencia and see the last years of my career out back home in the sun.
We will miss his free kicks though.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello

Very likeable but always seems to be on the periphery of games. I'd let him go tbh.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
That Shaw info is terrible. When extended, why did he need those wages to remain at United? What club was willing to offer him those wages, and offer him the prestige that comes with United? It's crazy. It always pains me to see the wage bill of say Spurs, for players that could leave Spurs for greener pastures and yet they're making less than our players.
Question is where Shaws number is coming from. I doubt he is paid that much

lysglimt

Scout
He has scored a grand total of 7 free kicks in 6 seasons for us.
If he was allowed to take them - he would score more. if we get a freekick 20 yards from goal - I expect Mata to score, I never do when Pogba take them

AlexUTD

Looking back on this, let's have an update. Smalling and Shaw have signed new contracts. Nothing confirmed with anyone else.

We might offer Herrera one and also Young but I expect Mata to be released. We'll extend all the contracts with the option and try to move on Valencia and Darmian while they retain value.

Jones, I have no clue on.
Updated post now, thanks for the reminder :D

Agree on Herrera he deserves a new contract along with De Gea and Martial, rest can go.

Zlaatan

Parody Account
Surely Shaw can't be on £150k/week? That sounds insane even for an unconfirmed rumour, which have a habit of being extremely inflated when it comes to United and spending money.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Surely Shaw can't be on £150k/week? That sounds insane even for an unconfirmed rumour, which have a habit of being extremely inflated when it comes to United and spending money.
What does it matter if he is on £150k?
Don't by get this 'outrage' over wages, United are run as a business and wouldn't give out wages without being able to afford them.
United very rarely sell for a profit unless it's a star player anyhow so I don't really see what the issue is.

Maccataq

Don't by get this 'outrage' over wages, United are run as a business and wouldn't give out wages without being able to afford them.
United very rarely sell for a profit unless it's a star player anyhow so I don't really see what the issue is.
Quite right. Fact of the matter is that the going rate for a first team, rotation or backup player at Utd is higher than at other clubs because of our turnover. It is a double-edged sword in that it makes it hard to shift some of these players but that is also a problem of our recruitment over the past few years as we have signed players not good enough for the club.

AlexUTD

When a player`s contract is about to run out, you do not really have much of a choice to pay what he wants to avoud losing him for nothing. That is why i think waiting for a player`s contract have 1 year left is madness. You do not save money if you lose good player for nothing with this crazy market.

Zlaatan

Parody Account
I'm not implying that the club can't afford it and I'm definitely not outraged. I'm well aware of how much money the club is raking in and that paying one player £90k or £150k a week makes very little difference to the overall budget.

I'm just surprised that a player of his caliber is supposedly getting that kind of money. I wanted to resign him and I think he can go on and become a really good player, but that doesn't mean that I can't compare his rumoured salary to other players and wonder why he's getting that much money when other clubs pay similar/better players much less.

It's also much more difficult to get rid of players we want to sell when we're paying them 40% more than any other club would.

When a player`s contract is about to run out, you do not really have much of a choice to pay what he wants to avoud losing him for nothing. That is why i think waiting for a player`s contract have 1 year left is madness. You do not save money if you lose good player for nothing with this crazy market.
That makes sense.

In Rainbows

Quite right. Fact of the matter is that the going rate for a first team, rotation or backup player at Utd is higher than at other clubs because of our turnover. It is a double-edged sword in that it makes it hard to shift some of these players but that is also a problem of our recruitment over the past few years as we have signed players not good enough for the club.
The problem with bigger wages is that you end up making it harder to sell them (as stated by Maccataq). Why would a player on big wages, be inclined to leave the club for much smaller wages at another club? And when you give players big wages that they wouldn't get at another club, it gives other better performing players at the club more leverage to get bigger wages seeing as they rightly would deserve to be on more than the lesser player. It can quickly spiral out of control.

I don't quite get why United have to give bigger wages than other clubs. I understand it for players that need convincing because they'll get similar wages at another club and that can offer them prestige either by how popular a club is or how close to the title they are. However, it makes no sense to give bigger wages to those who aren't all that coveted. Just compare the wages to Spurs' players for example. United is a step up for loads of players, and not just because it's a bigger pay day.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
The problem with bigger wages is that you end up making it harder to sell them (as stated by Maccataq). Why would a player on big wages, be inclined to leave the club for much smaller wages at another club? And when you give players big wages that they wouldn't get at another club, it gives other better performing players at the club more leverage to get bigger wages seeing as they rightly would deserve to be on more than the lesser player. It can quickly spiral out of control.

I don't quite get why United have to give bigger wages than other clubs. I understand it for players that need convincing because they'll get similar wages at another club and that can offer them prestige either by how popular a club is or how close to the title they are. However, it makes no sense to give bigger wages to those who aren't all that coveted. Just compare the wages to Spurs' players for example. United is a step up for loads of players, and not just because it's a bigger pay day.
I get it's harder to sell, but as I've already pointed out, United very rarely look to make a profit on squad players.
United pay more than spurs because we make more money, this will change when spurs get their new stadium up and running.

Maccataq

I agree with what you're saying - as I stated previously, the reason we are in this predicament is down to poor recruitment. If we have first team or squad players on inflated wages vs their ability it's because we have been willing to pay them and regard them as such. If a player is getting 30-40 games a season and the club wants to sign him up to a new contract then he/his agent are going to push for the going rate for similar players at the club. It wouldn't be a problem if those players were ones we wanted to keep of course.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Martial, Herrera, DDG. The rest is due leaving. Clean house, use youngsters if desperate but mostly use the transfer-market more to remedy this. Do not sign them all on

RMD83

I really hope the club has plans to get Herrera signed on to a new contract. He’s been great again recently and throughout his time has been very influinential only to be dropped for long periods. Always thought he was a great signing. Young as well dare I say it is a very important player. Very versatile and deserves another season. DDG, martial and pogba go without saying.

Toad

Martial, Herrera, DDG. The rest is due leaving. Clean house, use youngsters if desperate but mostly use the transfer-market more to remedy this. Do not sign them all on
Agree. I like Mata as a squad player and he could play a part as a sub next season so an additional year wouldn’t hurt for him but the other can jog on.

roseguy64

I'd be fine with Mata staying but the new manager might want to promote a youth player for his spot.

extincti fugax hominum

Smalling, Jones, Shaw and Martial have signed new contracts now.

We should definitely keep De Gea and Herrera. I love Mata but not sure about extending his contract. Losing a player like him for free would be madness though. So maybe extend and sell?

I think we should also keep Andreas Pereira. Don't really know about Young as he's still useful from time to time but we need much better at full-back positions.

Get rid of Darmian and Valencia asap.

arthurka

We should definitely keep De Gea and Herrera. I love Mata but not sure about extending his contract. Losing a player like him for free would be madness though. So maybe extend and sell?

I think we should also keep Andreas Pereira. Don't really know about Young as he's still useful from time to time but we need much better at full-back positions.

We have +1 on Pereira . Mata is 50-50 for me but DDG is a must. Others can leave.

C'est Moi Cantona

Nothing in it for Mata doing that, he'll get a far better deal for himself moving for free, and fair enough really.

Young deal is as good as done by the sounds, and surely Darmian has another year left if we were trying to loan him in January, hopefully not though.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Herrara is a must along with DDG. Can see him having few offers as well. Under the right coach and system he is a lovely player to have.
Not irreplaceable, but considering the market and current prices we should do everything to keep him.

Mata. Feel quite indifferent about it. Whatever club decide wouldn't have problems with it.

We need an rvn

We have +1 on Pereira . Mata is 50-50 for me but DDG is a must. Others can leave.
DDG is a no brainer for all but DDG haters which there can hardly be any of if you're a United fan. I think it's just adding the extra 20k he wants to the contract. Martial (done), DDG, Rashford and even tying down Pogba for another 5+1 years are very important now.

Oneunited26

I am for mata being let go, it frees up the chance to sign a top class attacking forward meaning, when games like Fulham come up lingard would be the back up, having us rest our forward on the right. Extending and keeping mata is another sign it saved Woodward buying a forward, let mata go, he’s too slow, too old and we really could do with an attacking forward on the right, who will rip it up with martial, rashford and pogba. Are we looking to win trophy’s? Or settling?

SamVimes

I am for mata being let go, it frees up the chance to sign a top class attacking forward meaning, when games like Fulham come up lingard would be the back up, having us rest our forward on the right. Extending and keeping mata is another sign it saved Woodward buying a forward, let mata go, he’s too slow, too old and we really could do with an attacking forward on the right, who will rip it up with martial, rashford and pogba. Are we looking to win trophy’s? Or settling?
He's only 30! But I get your point. If we are planning on playing fast paced direct football then Mata does not suit it. Unless, unless you are willing to play him as a 10 in a 4-2-3-1 with runners outside him. Plus Pogba as part of a midfield 2. Pogba's return in our 4-3-3 negates that, but it could be an option.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
So that leaves Herrera, DDG, Mata, Pereira, Young, Darmian & Valencia.

Herrera & DDG are no brainer, they are playing regularly right now. Young deserves another year at least, can play in both sides of full back.

Valencia finished & Pereira isn’t good enough for our level. So letting them go is a wise decision.

If we let Darmian go then a new right back is very priority. I’ll just let him go and we’ll focus getting a new regular right back.

Mata is 50:50, it’ll be nice to keep him and sell him but what club is willing to pay a good amount of fees to take him? If we can secure a good RW like Sancho, I have no issue letting Mata go for free.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I thought Young had agreed a deal. We need to get as many tied down as we can really. Players can always be sold if they can't get games or cause problems. If it's a wage/book balancing issue we should never have gotten in this situation in the first place.

Peole talk about Mata as if it'll be some massive relief to get rid of him. I don't get it at all. He doesn't fit in our first team the way we play but he is hardly a problem causer or useless. If we get someone better in and he wants to leave fair enough but he's not going to make us a worse team if he stays.