11 United players contracts expiring in the summer

AlexUTD

These players will be out of contract in the summer:

• Ashley Young (33)
  • Antonio Valencia (33) – Optional 1 year addon.
  • Juan Mata (30)
  • Ander Herrera (29)
  • Matteo Darmian (28) – Optional 1 year addon.
  • Chris Smalling (28) - SIGNED NEW CONTRACT
  • David De Gea (28) – 1 YEAR ADDON ACTIVATED
  • Phil Jones (26)
  • Luke Shaw (23) - SIGNED NEW CONTRACT
  • Anthony Martial (22) – 1 YEAR ADDON ACTIVATED
  • Andreas Pereira (22) – Optional 1 year addon.
Source: United.no

Who do you want to stay?

Who do you think would want to leave in our current situation?

Edit: Updated status on players.

Last edited:

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Well we will exercise every add on.

Luke Shaw will be announced this month I imagine.

Can see Herrera and Mata going.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
United trigger every add-on so there aren't actually 11 United first team players on expiring contract. Lazy journalism as usual from Sky Sports.

diarm

Move heaven and Earth to get Dave signed to a new contract. Exercise the options on Pereira and Martial, get Shaw resigned and I won't be too upset if any of the rest go.

RedDevil@84

Hopefully we ll say bye bye to Jones.
Young will probably get a new 1 yr contract. Don't ask me why.

Cliche Guevara

Keep De Gea, Martial and Shaw. Maybe Herrera.

Bin everyone else and bring in a new generation to compliment those already here, who are developing.

Add one or two clever free-transfers for experience and squad depth.

Start the process in January.

dove

Couldn't care less about Jones but we cannot afford to lose Shaw, Smalling, Herrera, Mata and Young for free.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Couldn't care less about Jones but we cannot afford to lose Shaw, Smalling, Herrera, Mata and Young for free.
He's hardly an integral part of the squad.

klsv

Not too worried about Dave, he'd probably sign even if he wanted out. No way he'd walk away for free.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I know but I reckon we could still get ~15m for him, he would suit some leagues perfectly.
I dunno, he's in his thirties now, I'd be pleasantly surprised if we got that much for him.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
DDG, Shaw, Smalling, Martial & Pereira to keep.
Apathetic about Mata & Herrera staying or going.
Get rid of the rest the sooner the better.

Samid

Couldn't care about Jones but we cannot afford lose Shaw, Smalling, Herrera, Mata and Young for free.
They're all duds and if we give them new deals we won't be able to offload them because no one would be willing to match their crazy wages.

Young, Valencia, Mata, Darmian and Smalling all need to leave. I don't mind Herrera but he probably will be going too unless the new manager fancies him.

dove

They're all duds and if we give them new deals we won't be able to offload them because no one would be willing to match their crazy wages.

Young, Valencia, Mata, Darmian and Smalling all need to leave. I don't mind Herrera but he probably will be going too unless the new manager fancies him.
I guess I worded my post badly :lol: I didn't mean to say that they are important players, I hope most of these players leave but I just think we would lose quite a bit of money from potential sales if they leave on a free.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Jones, Dariman and Valencia are the only ones that we need to get rid of. Young is still a good back up. DDG, Shaw, Herrera, Martial and Smalling are priorities in the order they are listed for me.

Nikelesh Reddy

• Ashley Young (33)
  • Juan Mata (30)
  • Ander Herrera (29)
  • Chris Smalling (28)
  • David De Gea (28) – Optional 1 year addon.
  • Phil Jones (26)
  • Luke Shaw (23)
  • Anthony Martial (22) – Optional 1 year addon.

Who do you want to stay?

I think it’s time to let Ashley leave...He’s been a good player to have in and around the squad,but I think it’s pretty pointless to keep him for another year.Would keep Valencia for 1 more year simply because of his experience...I wouldn’t mind Mata and Herrera staying on for a few more years because of what they bring to the squad...Darmian should be sold....If Jones can’t establish himself this season then he should move on...Smalling,Shaw,Perreira and Martial stay on...

Samid

I guess I worded my post badly :lol: I didn't mean to say that they are important players, I hope most of these players leave but I just think we would lose quite a bit of money from potential sales if they leave on a free.
I got your point, my point is that if we give them new deals they will only stink up the place until their new deals expire because no sane club would pay our asking prices plus the crazy wages.

el3mel

My expectations is we'll renew all of them and will sign 1-2 players more max.

peridigm

Need to go and no reason to keep
Release Ashley Young (33)
Release Juan Mata (30)
Release Ander Herrera (29)
Release Matteo Darmian (28) – Optional 1 year addon.
Release Phil Jones (26)

Renew Luke Shaw (23)
Renew Chris Smalling (28)

We'll either sign new deals or renew to get more time
addon David De Gea (28) – Optional 1 year addon.
addon Antonio Valencia (33) – Optional 1 year addon.
addon Anthony Martial (22) – Optional 1 year addon.
addon Andreas Pereira (22) – Optional 1 year addon.

Samid

People seriously have goldfish memory regarding Smalling. Just because he's the least worst of a horrific bunch doesn't mean he is any good. Get rid.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
My expectations is we'll renew all of them and will sign 1-2 players more max.
Think if Jose stops that will happen because some of them are like a comfort blanket to him. It it is another manager, more will go. Some should have gone already. Now they have to decide who to renew, or wait until another manager in and it is just wasting time.

el3mel

Think if Jose stops that will happen because some of them are like a comfort blanket to him. It it is another manager, more will go. Some should have gone already. Now they have to decide who to renew, or wait until another manager in and it is just wasting time.
The new manager will be willing to give most of these lot a chance for 1 more season before giving a verdict on them. We won't be able to replace most of them even as bench options anyway, so I guess we'll renew to all of them.

noodlehair

"It's like..."

• Ashley Young (33)
  • Juan Mata (30)
  • Ander Herrera (29)
  • Chris Smalling (28)
  • David De Gea (28) – Optional 1 year addon.
  • Phil Jones (26)
  • Luke Shaw (23)
  • Anthony Martial (22) – Optional 1 year addon.

Who do you want to stay?

Literally all of those will have to either stay or be replaced, with the exception of Darmian, where having Darmian is basically exactly the same as paying to not have Darmian.

Woodward really is a collosal f*cking idiot.

This is the kind of stupidity Mourinho or whoever manages us is up against..."build a team, oh but, half your players might leave because we're not going to offer them new contracts until the last second...so don't build your team using any of those or we'll end up having to pay them too much"

RedDevil@84

Literally all of those will have to either stay or be replaced, with the exception of Darmian, where having Darmian is basically exactly the same as paying to not have Darmian.

Woodward really is a collosal f*cking idiot
Woodward would get a heart attack if someone asks him to negotiate 10 new player deals. He struggles with 2 or 3 per transfer window

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
People seriously have goldfish memory regarding Smalling. Just because he's the least worst of a horrific bunch doesn't mean he is any good. Get rid.
Couldn't agree less. Smalling is certainly good enough to keep as a squad player.

I would be surprised if we signed 2 new CBs.
Too expensive and too much of a risk.

One commanding CB to lead and organise. It is still quite possible that with proper leadership that both Lindelof and Ballie could fulfil their potential.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Woodward would get a heart attack if someone asks him to negotiate 10 new player deals. He struggles with 2 or 3 per transfer window
Well someone better be asking him. That's a ridiculous situation to be in. It's literally half our squad!

If I'm any of them I'm asking for an extra 10-20k a week as soon as I'm in the first team, since the club will have for some reason deliberately manufactured a situation where I can hold them to ransom

peridigm

I'm no fan of Smalling but he should get a new deal unless we sign all new CB's. Definitely good enough for a squad player. Sadly he's been the most consistent for us in the last 5 years.

Which reminds me. When is Rojo's contract up? He should be sold/released too.

RedDevil@84

Smalling will probably get a new deal because it is not just possible to throw them all out and find replacements.

RedStarUnited

Move heaven and Earth to get Dave signed to a new contract. Exercise the options on Pereira and Martial, get Shaw resigned and I won't be too upset if any of the rest go.
Between Herrera, Mata, Smalling, Jones and Darmian there is a good 50m+ profit to be had there!

Zlatattack

Keep Shaw, Smalling, DDG, Martial, Periera.

Let the rest go. It gives us a change to promote youth or buy new players.

Valencia: new RB or TFM
Darmian: new LB or Mitchell
Young: New RW or Chong
Jones: New CB or Taunzebe
Mata: New CAM or Gomes
Herrera: New CM or Periera

My point is we have options in the market or in house. These guys aren't setting the world alight, moving them on either allows us to give youth a chance or to buy in world class replacements.

DomesticTadpole

Between Herrera, Mata, Smalling, Jones and Darmian there is a good 50m+ profit to be had there!
There is, but the likes of Herrera , Mata and Jones could sign pre-contracts in January and we will get nothing for them. We cannot afford to sell them as it would seriously deplete our squad. All this should have been dealt with, or at least the ones we want to keep. We are going to lose a fortune on the out of contract players and then have to spend a fortune to replace them. There might be a couple of kids promoted, but they won't add the ready now quality we will need to compete. Well run club, not on the footballing front we aren't.

If the likes of DDG decides he has got fed up, then we have big problems.

LoneStar

I would add Smalling to that list. I wouldn't mind if Mata resigned with a lesser contract as well.

But other than those, I would be happy to let the rest go.

Morpheus 7

Getting club's to meet the players high wages are an issue to sell. That said, disgraceful management of players contracts. It's not Arsenal level under Wenger, leaving on a free regularly. It's getting there, such a mess. No player should be walking on a free. Really shouldn't be, there is no plan in place just like on the pitch.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Shaw, de Gea, smalling to stay

The rest I couldn't careless about

DomesticTadpole

Getting club's to meet the players high wages are an issue to sell. That said, disgraceful management of players contracts. It's not Arsenal level under Wenger, leaving on a free regularly. It's getting there, such a mess. No player should be walking on a free. Really shouldn't be, there is no plan in place just like on the pitch.
People saying just let them go. We aren't Manchester City with a bottomless pit of money. We need to be getting some money in to offset any purchases.