12 months since Mourinho was sacked and we've arguably gone backwards

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Almost exactly one year ago, Ole was appointed caretaker manager following the sacking of Jose Mourinho. The toxic one was relieved of his duties having led Manchester United to their 5th defeat of the Premier League season with a loss to Liverpool at Anfield. On December 18th 2018, United sat in 6th with 7 wins, 29 goals and 26 points; fast forward a year, two transfer windows, almost £150 million worth of player additions and an improved team culture - we've amassed 1 fewer point, 1 fewer win and 3 fewer goals. Most importantly, we look just as clueless as we did under Mourinho in his final season. Whether you want to blame Ole or not, it's inconceivable that 12 months since the sacking of our most despised manager, we've seen 0 progress or improvement in most of the aspects related to this behemoth of a football club. How does Manchester United, with all its apparent resources, find itself in this position?

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Almost exactly one year ago, Ole was appointed caretaker manager following the sacking of Jose Mourinho. The toxic one was relieved of his duties having led Manchester United to their 5th defeat of the Premier League season with a loss to Liverpool at Anfield. On December 18th 2018, United sat in 6th with 7 wins, 29 goals and 26 points; fast forward a year, two transfer windows, almost £150 million worth of player additions and an improved team culture - we've amassed 1 fewer point, 1 fewer win and 3 fewer goals. Most importantly, we look just as clueless as we did under Mourinho in his final season. Whether you want to blame Ole or not, it's inconceivable that 12 months since the sacking of our most despised manager, we've seen 0 progress or improvement in most of the aspects related to this behemoth of a football club. How does Manchester United, with all its apparent resources, find itself in this position?
We definitely haven't gone backwards. Progress has been slow though.

Zen86

If you watched any of our games back then, you would know that we most certainly have not gone backwards.

Drainy

Average age of the team has gone down, as has the wage bill. You'd expect things to go backwards in the short term while the team matures.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Gone backwards :lol:

Typical goldfish memory from the average caf poster.

lysglimt

Scout
Did you watch some of our games under Mourinho ?

432JuanMata

I don’t know about backwards. But we haven’t really improved which is bad considering Jose was trying his best to get sacked, while Ole and the players seem to trying there hardest yet we aren’t much better

Di Maria's angel

If you watched any of our games back then, you would know that we most certainly have not gone backwards.
I've seen them all - we're just as bad as we were under a manager who was deliberately throwing games. What does that say about the current man in charge?

RUCK4444

Feck me... I swear the drama queens in here. It’s a feckin embarrassment.

We were a decent VAR decision away from a win today, we’ve been playing well and getting good results. A draw against a buoyed Everton side with a new manager bounce and the weak come crawling out from under their rocks in here.

We’ve gotten rid of a shed load of deadwood, have our best player out almost all season so far, playing kids - and we are still much better than when we were under Jose.

binary bot
If you look at an organisation in purely black and white then you're right. But that's not how it is. We've clearly reshaped the squad into one that, with the right additions, is in a much healthier place for the next 5 years than the clusterfeck that Mourinho was creating in hopes of instant success.

Zen86

I've seen them all - we're just as bad as we were under a manager who was deliberately throwing games. What does that say about the current man in charge?
It tells me you weren’t watching properly. We were awful under Mourinho. Boring, pragmatic, defensive football, without the results to justify it.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian

We were a decent VAR decision away from a win today, we’ve been playing well and getting good results. A draw against a buoyed Everton side with a new manager bounce and the weak come crawling out from under their rocks in here.

We’ve gotten rid of a shed load of deadwood, have our best player out almost all season so far, playing kids - and we are still much better than when we were under Jose.
2 decent results of late. We've done the same all season. A few wins followed by some shockers. Unless you're happy with draws to Sheff and Villa.
We wasn't a decent VAR decision away from a win either.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
We haven’t gone backwards. We are laying foundations I think, in the second phase you will see the butterfly I suspect.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
What would Mauricio Pochettino have done different?

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!

I don't understand how anyone could look at todays game and think we didn't deserve to win this handedly. Fact is we played a draw vs ourselves. Everton had nothing. We were inefficient in front of the opposition goal.

Jacckk1985

Thinks we should ban Niall
No you goldfish man, we have young squad who is capable to play modern game.

Dansk

Sacking Mourinho was a knee-jerk reaction. He led us through our best post-Fergie season, by a country mile. I didn't like him very much and don't appreciate his controversial personality, but I think we could have lived with that better than we can live with a manager whose fundamental competency is a matter of debate. The whole "building a foundation" thing is severely overrated--far too small a percentage of promising youth players turn out to be the real deal, and clubs almost never succeed that way. The stars can align (our class of 92, Barcelona's Messi generation), but by and large, success is achieved and maintained by signing a steady stream of quality players. Mourinho was a much better candidate in that regard than Ole will ever be.

Born2Lose

Will you Mourinho acolytes ever give it a rest. He got sacked, go support Spurs.

dove

People saying we haven't gone backwards :lol: We 100% did, not only points wise, which considering that Jose has literally sabotaged everything just to get the sack but still managed to win more points is amazing. We are worst we have been since SAF, including Moyes era but it's apparently not going backwards because we papered over the cracks with a few wins against good teams.

AndyMUFC

How the balls have we gone backwards?

The Spurs and City performances compared to Mourinho’s last game at Liverpool should tell you all you’re talking shite, even if we’d like to be winning more games.

We’re a couple of attacking signings from being a strong side.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

VAR is a convenient excuse.
Tend to agree with this. A year ago we were in meltdown.
It's rather misleading to judge Ole by Mourinho's meltdown phase i.e his absolute worst. Mourinho, although I didn't like him and believe he didn't do a good job, did get second place and win a cup. Merely matching or being around about his nosedive season is an extremely low standard to hold anybody to.

lRed

It's like most of "fans" on here wasn't there before OGS came in.
Just remind yourself the shit football we had to endure with Mourinho, we didn't progress under him and van Gaal, we are with Solskjaer.
Alzheimer is a disease.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
How the balls have we gone backwards?

The Spurs and City performances compared to Mourinho’s last game at Liverpool should tell you all you’re talking shite, even if we’d like to be winning more games.

We’re a couple of attacking signings from being a strong side.
Because two results don't define a manager. Otherwise we may as well pick out two results each of LVG and Mourinho and claim they were successful here.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Even with the caf being 50/50 on whether to get rid of Solskjaer, I suspect a poll on whether we've gone backwards since Mourinho would overwhelmingly say no.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
VAR is a convenient excuse.

It's rather misleading to judge Ole by Mourinho's meltdown phase i.e his absolute worst. Mourinho, although I didn't like him and believe he didn't do a good job, did get second place and win a cup. Merely matching or being around about his nosedive season is an extremely low standard to hold anybody to.
I think we've made a slight progress. Not nearly enough though and I'd much prefer if we were looking at another manager to take us forward.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Whether you want to blame Ole or not, it's inconceivable that 12 months since the sacking of our most despised manager, we've seen 0 progress or improvement in most of the aspects related to this behemoth of a football club. How does Manchester United, with all its apparent resources, find itself in this position?
Yeah. I also don't get it, cos on because on Football Manager 2020, I turned it around within 10 games and am leading the table by this stage of the season.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down

We have not gotten rid of a lot of deadwood. Sanchez is away on loan and we're paying half his wages still. Darmian is gone, Lukaku is gone but he wasn't deadwood. Herrera is gone which hurt us and Valencia basically retired.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Shut this shit down

Gone backwards :lol::lol::lol:

Before Ole I wasn't even watching our games anymore such was the depression around the club

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Where have I strongly advocated appointing Poch? Not that I'd be against it.
What would anyone have done differently? I'm just seeing a bunch of knee jerk reactions and not any actual suggestions to improvement.

The team that started today ripped Manchester City apart, you can't just go "Oh should have started x" intstead and play the biggest hindsight card ever.

Di Maria's angel

Yeah. I also don't get it, cos on because on Football Manager 2020, I turned it around within 10 games and am leading the table by this stage of the season.
OK. Except Ole has been in charge 12 months and there's been no improvement in the most important aspect of the game - results. But carry on with xG's and whatever else shows that we're moving forward in everything bar winning, scoring goals and not conceding.

Di Maria's angel

What would anyone have done differently? I'm just seeing a bunch of knee jerk reactions and not any actual suggestions to improvement.

The team that started today ripped Manchester City apart, you can't just go "Oh should have started x" intstead and play the biggest hindsight card ever.
This doesn't make sense. I can't have an opinion unless I'm a qualified manager myself?

And what would I do differently? I wouldn't hire an incompetent manager based on nothing but sentimentality.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
The club was right to sack Mourinho but they shouldn't have hired Solskjær on a permanent basis.