12 months since Mourinho was sacked and we've arguably gone backwards

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Let's see what the second half of the season brings, if anybody had said that United would win the 'Treble' at this time of the year in the 98/99 season they'd have been carted away by the men in white coats and put in a padded cell for their own protection.
We had only lost like 2-3 games that season so what are you talking about?

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
We had only lost like 2-3 games that season so what are you talking about?
And your point being? We were by'n'large piss poor in the first half of that season, Arsenal winning the double the previous season then showing us our backsides in the Charity Shield had appeared to knock the stuffing out of us, nobody could see what happened after Christmas happening, nobody.

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
And your point being? We were by'n'large piss poor in the first half of that season, Arsenal winning the double the previous season then showing us our backsides in the Charity Shield had appeared to knock the stuffing out of us, nobody could see what happened after Christmas happening, nobody.
So Ole will turn this around because in '99 we did? Logic where?

Paxi

We were inconsistent in the league leading up to new year which was common until Jose Chelsea. We were always slow starters. Of course winning the treble was an amazing achievement and most fans can only dream of that but we had a lot to be optimistic about seeing as we had 37 points in the league and we've just navigated group of death in CL.

Enigma_87

You know who
Let's see what the second half of the season brings, if anybody had said that United would win the 'Treble' at this time of the year in the 98/99 season they'd have been carted away by the men in white coats and put in a padded cell for their own protection.
We were 1st on 12th of December in that 98/99 season. Seriously that's a terrible comparison.

Paul_Scholes18

Ole needs to push the players more in training and work on attacking patterns. Also a midfielder and striker is a must to get this window. If neither of these things is done we will keep being terrible and we need to hope we can grind our way to a cup title.

Class of 63

Sourness
We were inconsistent in the league leading up to new year which was common until Jose Chelsea. We were always slow starters. Of course winning the treble was an amazing achievement and most fans can only dream of that but we had a lot to be optimistic about seeing as we had 37 points in the league and we've just navigated group of death in CL.
Not talking about the results, we just didn't look right.

Enigma_87

You know who
Then down to 4th on Boxing Day.

I'm not making a comparison. Don't know why anybody would think I was.
https://www.worldfootball.net/schedule/eng-premier-league-1998-1999-spieltag/19/
We actually were 3rd 2 points off the top.

We then got back to #1 at the end of Jan and held it up until April unrivaled.

You brought up the treble winning season to correlate to our current woes.

Would anyone say we would be champions during Christmas in 98/99? Pretty sure many would and did - Arsenal double winning side was always behind us and our biggest rivals for the title at the time were Chelsea and Villa.

Would anyone say we would win the FA cup at the time? We won it 2 times in the last 4 years so pretty sure we could.

CL - sure we were under performing at the time, but the domestic double was clearly on the cards at the time and if someone said we could win it all he wouldn't "have been carted away by the men in white coats and put in a padded cell for their own protection "....

Alejandro Angel

I am much happier watching Utd at the moment, rather than the Moyes, Van Gaal or Mourinho periods.
I believe we can get much better and a strong Striker number nine who can hold up play and receive the ball with his back to goal, to play against deep that sit deep. Also a number 10 who will work hard and can slide the ball through.
We have many things going for us, but need a true leader and someone who can dictate the tempo of the game.
Although I am frustrated with the games against teams setup to frustrate it has been much better, where I am most concerned is that the players need to start working harder from the front not allowing teams time to compose themselves. Martial although gifted in a lot of ways does not lead the line well enough for me when he closes opponents down he always gives them a easy way out so he doesn't have too tackle it is lazy and opposition teams know this and are not worried whilst he is close to them, also his movement has been brought up numerous times, he could get so much better. Whenever Andy Cole joined he worked on his overall game and although not seen as the best In his position (would any of us really have wanted Shearer or Fowler over him) although great players they were much more selfish and did not create the space that Cole did, he was a major reason for creating late goals due the teams being tired. Unfortunately Liverpool seem to be doing this and City.
So to get back to my point I prefer seeing Utd this season at least trying to get the ball higher up.the pitch, remember Van Gaal and Mourinho as soon as we conceded the ball we dropped back below to the halfway line and defended,it was tedious to watch. We need a few leaders and a couple to return to form, but it is more encouraging than previous years.
My only problem this years is that it is Liverpool that is looking unstoppable at the moment.

Paxi

So. There are people believing we could end up with treble like in 1999?
Delusions knows no bounds with Ole cultists. They make Haram look passive on Mourinho.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
All the signs are there mate. We're not in the CL though. So it's micky mouse treble. I can't wait for Lingaard to pull off what Giggs did against Arsenal in Fa cup semi final. Or our midfielder destroyer Fred emulating Keane. Jaap Stam is not even in the same league as maguire. He's the most expensive CB of all time for a reason. The free flowing duo of Rashford and Martial is awfully similar to Yorke and Cole making Barca look like mugs. Beckhams right foot is nothing compared to James.

Giggsyking

So you are telling us to wait on no objective base but only hope, buy time like Ole is doing?

Giggsyking

Ole needs to push the players more in training and work on attacking patterns. Also a midfielder and striker is a must to get this window. If neither of these things is done we will keep being terrible and we need to hope we can grind our way to a cup title.
One year of time he had to coach them on attacking patterns, did you see any pattern?

Paul_Scholes18

One year of time he had to coach them on attacking patterns, did you see any pattern?
The patterns seem to be to give the ball to our wingers who try to beat the man or put crosses in with noone in the box. Or take crazy shoots from outside the box in Rashfords case. Martial must have been told to just stand like a cone in the box and ocationally drop deep to get the ball and then spread it wide.
Lingard shall just drift around moving into the least dangerous space to fool the opponents that he is no danger and then ocationally run behind the lines to get 1vs1 with the keeper.
Maguire shall also keep the ball for a long time to put the enemies and fans into sleep.
Pereira has been instructed to give the ball away so we can win it back and counter.

Class of 63

Sourness
https://www.worldfootball.net/schedule/eng-premier-league-1998-1999-spieltag/19/
We actually were 3rd 2 points off the top.

We then got back to #1 at the end of Jan and held it up until April unrivaled.

You brought up the treble winning season to correlate to our current woes.

Would anyone say we would be champions during Christmas in 98/99? Pretty sure many would and did - Arsenal double winning side was always behind us and our biggest rivals for the title at the time were Chelsea and Villa.

Would anyone say we would win the FA cup at the time? We won it 2 times in the last 4 years so pretty sure we could.

CL - sure we were under performing at the time, but the domestic double was clearly on the cards at the time and if someone said we could win it all he wouldn't "have been carted away by the men in white coats and put in a padded cell for their own protection "....
I brought up the treble season with it being the perfect example of a team being piss poor/average in the first half of the season, then improving a wee bit in the second half of the season in reply to a doom-monger saying we are on course for our worst League points total post SAF whilst we are still in fecking December.

Class of 63

Sourness
We can still get a quadruble so yes! Have faith in Ole doing it!
Delusions knows no bounds with Ole cultists. They make Haram look passive on Mourinho.
All the signs are there mate. We're not in the CL though. So it's micky mouse treble. I can't wait for Lingaard to pull off what Giggs did against Arsenal in Fa cup semi final. Or our midfielder destroyer Fred emulating Keane. Jaap Stam is not even in the same league as maguire. He's the most expensive CB of all time for a reason. The free flowing duo of Rashford and Martial is awfully similar to Yorke and Cole making Barca look like mugs. Beckhams right foot is nothing compared to James.
And all these years we've been told there was only three wise men :lol:

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
We topped the group in the EL as well. It's pretty similar to when we where in the group of death with Barcelona and Bayern Munich.

Paul_Scholes18

There are 5 great wise men in the world. Woodward, David Moyes, Van Gaal, Mourinho and Solskjaer.

Sadly the lack of funds and quality players here was not enough for them to win the big things, but they had the right ideas . With more time they would all win us title after title and bring us back to glory.

The ideas are simple. Totally destroy the team in the short run in order to create space for future improvements. Once improvements start the momentum will carry you to the top.

Yakuza_devils

Feck me, of all the season 99 was picked to draw similarity with this season. Speechless!

Paul_Scholes18

Glad you're coming around to my way of thinking, not that it was my way of thinking, but hey
This season is more impressive so far. Ole played small teams which is harder to beat than the big guns as we all know based on this season. We are onto something big with Ole.

Ronaldo's Love Child

I am much happier watching Utd at the moment, rather than the Moyes, Van Gaal or Mourinho periods.
And you know why that is? Hope. You have hope that OGS will get it right and all the gears will eventually click into place and we will start winning something.

The good thing about hope is that it can last for an indefinite period. It really depends how optimistic you are.

I think all of our expectations were lowered during Mourinho's final twelve months and OGS's first 12 months. The problem will be what will YOU feel when we haven't progressed 12 months from now?