fredericson
oyedele
nolan
berry
norkett

mantato hanbury fitzgerald baumann musa on the bench

holdsteady

Hates Sir Alex Ferguson
Berry slips in Nolan deftly who fails to finish 1 on 1.

Minutes later Arsenal keeper is closed down on his line and fouls Norkett (I think). Norkett scores from the spot. 1-0 to United. They've had Arsenal pinned in the opening 10 minutes. Deserved.

holdsteady

Hates Sir Alex Ferguson
Fredricson cracking hit from the edge of the box saved well by the Arsenal keeper. United head over from the corner.

United all over Arsenal at this point.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
United pressing really well and Arsenal have found it difficult to get out of their half. It's just a pity we haven't got a second goal because I'm not sure we'll be able to maintain the tempo.

holdsteady

Hates Sir Alex Ferguson
Berry takes down Arsenal player in the box. It's Arsenal's first attack. Bradley scores 1-1.

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
Wondered how long it'd be before our customary defensive feck up would occur. Actually happened quicker than I expected.

holdsteady

Hates Sir Alex Ferguson
Norkett with a backheel to Berry who blasts over. Was pretty

lysglimt

Scout
Berry really had a first half to forget. First he falls asleep on a throw-in letting an Arsenal-player inside the box, and when trying to make up for that, he trips the players and gifts Arsenal a completely unnecessary penalty - and at the end he shot over in a very good position.

First 30 minutes were probably the best we have played all season - and Arsenal could barely get out of their half - but once we gifted them the goal, they took over the game.

holdsteady

Hates Sir Alex Ferguson
Oyedele wins a header, Williams picks up the 2nd ball and smacks it past the keeper on the half volley. 2-1.

Not sure what I think of Williams on the whole, personally.

holdsteady

Hates Sir Alex Ferguson
Murray arrives backpost from a Berry low cross but blazes over. Should have been 3.

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
Arsenal forward pretty much just ran the length of the pitch and got a shot off with us barely attempting a tackle. Probably should have made it 4 as well tbf.

Bigsid

So we finish bottom of the group and bow out of the competition. In 19 games across u21s and u18s we have won 3.

ariel

Apparently MUTV was live on the clubs site. Was watching it there till the end.

Ethan Williams was impressive. Scored both goals with his weaker foot. The second was a difficult shot too.

Mickson

So we finish bottom of the group and bow out of the competition. In 19 games across u21s and u18s we have won 3.
Travis Binnion has about three jobs at the same time? But yeah, I think our players in the U21 are overrated. Savage McNeill, Shoretire etc.

Beaucoup

We are great at pressing and running, but when we get the ball we are clueless, we have some fantastic creative players, we just don’t utilise them with our style of play.

Remember the geese

Yes, but don't see him making any fuss at United. McNeill and Savage, I don't even think they will play in The Championship still people think they have something to offer at United.
I think Shoretire should be out on loan in the Championship. I think he could be a Mason Mount type of player for us, but I agree that it is probably unlikely for whatever reason. The hype around McNeill is maddening. Those who don't watch the academy tend to believe he is some sort of wonderkid! Due to the pre-season tour, Savage's reputation took a massively climb too. This despite him being very average.

Demaw

I was stunned savage got an extra contract. He was ordinary in academy.

Bertie Wooster

I think Shoretire should be out on loan in the Championship. I think he could be a Mason Mount type of player for us, but I agree that it is probably unlikely for whatever reason. The hype around McNeill is maddening. Those who don't watch the academy tend to believe he is some sort of wonderkid! Due to the pre-season tour, Savage's reputation took a massively climb too. This despite him being very average.
I'd say the same applies to Zidane Iqbal. The pre-season tour matches, mixed with the eagerness to see a South Asian player come through the academy and make it here, has led to calls for first team opportunities that I really don't think his (or Savage's) ability warrants.

Both have major limitations to their game, and only limited positives that really don't suggest they should be getting PL minutes - here or elsewhere - any time soon. If ever.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I'd say the same applies to Zidane Iqbal. The pre-season tour matches, mixed with the eagerness to see a South Asian player come through the academy and make it here, has led to calls for first team opportunities that I really don't think his (or Savage's) ability warrants.

Both have major limitations to their game, and only limited positives that really don't suggest they should be getting PL minutes - here or elsewhere - any time soon. If ever.
Agreed. I've been very vocal on here on who I rate highly in the youth teams and Iqbal never came near the top of my list. Although the fact that they both, Savage and Iqbal, grasped the opportunity when presented means they should be given further opportunities, if we don't reward youth who play well when given the opportunity then players won't want to join us.

Remember the geese

I agree with you. I was going to include Zidane Iqbal along with Savage but thought against it because I consider him a slightly better talent. However, I'd be very surprised if he made it here with us. Angel Gomes was a similar type of player to him and a far superior talent. Kobbie Mainoo is the biggest talent in our academy in my opinion.

Bertie Wooster

Completely agree that Kobbie Mainoo looks the best talent coming through.

He's the most 'complete' player that we have in the youth levels. We've got some who look technically decent but are either very small or too slow or they lack much end product, etc. Or defenders / #9's who've got the right build in terms of height but who seriously lack pace or the ability to read the game, technical ability to play out from the back, or whatever.

For me, the ones who are closest to having a good enough 'all round' game to potentially make it here are currently Mainoo, Hannibal and Garnacho. With Laird and Fernandez possibles. And in that order, with Mainoo the most promising.

Beaucoup

We have too many average players in our ranks who would struggle to get into most top academy sides, this, in my opinion holds back the better players, as they are playing week in week out in non-functioning teams with no recognised style of play other than trying to out run and out battle the opposition.

bdecuc

Agree about Kobbie Mainoo. He seems quite talented. I've liked the look of Dan Gore also. Good ability with a competitive streak.