19/20 PL Top Goalscorer?

Sigma

Well, he's already seen a massive dip in goalscoring form since his anomalous breakout season. He just isn't really that clinical and his first season at Liverpool still has a lot of people hoodwinked.

He regressed to his mean last season and if he stays at his natural level, he'll be trounced by Kane, providing the latter can stay fit for most of the season.

(But I ultimately agree with your question. I don't see why Salah should drop off in scoring much more than he already did last season.)

If everyone stays fit all season, the only players I can see giving Kane any grief are the City boys through sheer volume of chances. That team creates so many chances that a profligate striker could hit 20 with ease -- and they have much better than profligate.
Being clinical doesn't necessarily matter. The more chances you have, the more goals you tend to score. If you make more chances for yourself, you will score more goals. Salah's movement is maybe the best in the world. He will get a lot of chances.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
If Kane stays fit then he will win it.

Nialinho

I'm gonna go with Sterling. Kane, Salah and Aguero are all in with a shout, Mane will be up there too. I think Martial will surprise a lot of people but be 5-6 goals off the pace.

TheLiverBird

Well, he's already seen a massive dip in goalscoring form since his anomalous breakout season. He just isn't really that clinical and his first season at Liverpool still has a lot of people hoodwinked.

He regressed to his mean last season and if he stays at his natural level, he'll be trounced by Kane, providing the latter can stay fit for most of the season.

(But I ultimately agree with your question. I don't see why Salah should drop off in scoring much more than he already did last season.)

If everyone stays fit all season, the only players I can see giving Kane any grief are the City boys through sheer volume of chances. That team creates so many chances that a profligate striker could hit 20 with ease -- and they have much better than profligate.
Each to their own, but the BIB is a baffling sentence for me

there's not really any evidence to suggest Kane will "trounce" Salah in the goals department if Salah stays at his natural level :D

What is Salah's natural level?? the Level of the season where he scored 22 League goals (31 all comps)

or the season he scored 32 League goals (46 in all comps)

Kane and Salah are 2 completely different players, Kane could beat Salah this year, he's good enough, but it will take a lot to be Salah, a lot imo

I'm going for

Salah
Aguero
Kane
Aubameyang
Sterling
Mane

not in that order, but I think they will be the front runners.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Won't play enough matches / minutes. City does an excellent job managing him and the amount he plays so he's available for big matches and stays fresh, but it does mean he's not likely to win golden boot, PFA POY, etc.
I agree somewhat. Moreover I feel if he played too much he would pick up a strain or injury.

Supports
England
Mo Salah is a 4 season wonder at this point...
He's nowhere near good enough at finishing that he should be the PL record holder though. He lucked out with his finishing in that first irregular season. He brings much more to the game than just goalscoring though and that's why I specifically talked about his regression in goalscoring terms (having said that, his increasing selfishness is actually diminishing his other contributions).

I haven't said anywhere that he's not a good or even great player. He clearly is. It's just that if you simulated that same season without injuries repeatedly, you would expect either Kane or Aguero to end up with the Golden Boot in most of them and for one of those two to take the record (in terms of raw finishing ability, they're a tier above the rest of the league).

Each to their own, but the BIB is a baffling sentence for me

there's not really any evidence to suggest Kane will "trounce" Salah in the goals department if Salah stays at his natural level :D

What is Salah's natural level?? the Level of the season where he scored 22 League goals (31 all comps)

or the season he scored 32 League goals (46 in all comps)

Kane and Salah are 2 completely different players, Kane could beat Salah this year, he's good enough, but it will take a lot to be Salah, a lot imo

I'm going for

Salah
Aguero
Kane
Aubameyang
Sterling
Mane

not in that order, but I think they will be the front runners.
One season can be an anomaly and that's likely what Salah's 32 goal season was, especially looking at his tally last term. His 21 goals last time around seems like a much more realistic target/representation of his goalscoring abilities.

Kane, on the other hand, has never had a season in which he has played as many games as Salah did last season while scoring less than 21 goals. In fact, Kane's had a season in which he played fewer games and scored 29 goals (the highest GPG in a PL season). Kane also has the highest overall GPG in PL history (just 0.01 above Aguero).

Last season was Kane's own anomaly: a season marred by injuries in which he managed to score less than 20 in the league, which is absolutely atrocious by his standards and his worst ever by quite some distance.

Kane has actually been pretty unlucky in that if you took his GPG from a few of his 5 seasons so far and allowed him to play 36-38 consistent games in them, he'd have broken Salah's record multiple times already. Kane's 29 in 30 season particularly stands out because he could've put the goalscoring record beyond anyone for a very long time and even broken the >38 game record despite being in the PL era, which would've been a fantastic feat.

The viciousness of full strength Kane unrestrained by injuries was demonstrated in 2017 when he scored more goals than anyone else, Messi and Ronaldo etc. included, with a far superior GPG to them as well. He's still the only player besides them to have done that this decade (AFAIK) so it looks likely he'll finish the 2010s as the only player to have beaten Messi and Ronaldo to any kind of long-term scoring record. I still don't think most people appreciate just how elite Kane's striking ability really is.

Unless he has another injury nightmare this season, it's likely that Kane will revert to his goalscoring mean, which the, admittedly inconclusive, evidence suggests is higher than that of Salah. By my reckoning, in any average season, the smartest bet for the Golden Boot is Kane, like it has been ever since he scored 21 in ~28 during his breakout season.

To each their own though, of course.

Last edited:

dmode

I really hope Rashford and Martial would be in the race... but my little finger tells me that strangely it could be Sanchez... it's his make or break season under Ole and he's got the ability.

Honestly, seeing our first match, it would bring me immense pleasure to see those three succeed.

Eddy_JukeZ

I really hope Rashford and Martial would be in the race... but my little finger tells me that strangely it could be Sanchez... it's his make or break season under Ole and he's got the ability.

Honestly, seeing our first match, it would bring me immense pleasure to see those three succeed.
People are still pinning hope on Sanchez?

Mate, he is finished.

lysglimt

Scout
Ashley Barnes :
First he scored 18, 11, 8 and 5 goals for Brighton but now he has turned it around.
He has scored 0,6,9,12 goals the last 4 Seasons ...the way this continues, he will surely get 20+ this season :)

tonnas

Kane auba sterling, followed by salah. Rash and Marital will both get more then 15 league goals, they might be a bit far off but they will be close

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
I reckon Salah takes it for a third year running. High 20s tally.

Perseus

Ashley Barnes :
First he scored 18, 11, 8 and 5 goals for Brighton but now he has turned it around.
He has scored 0,6,9,12 goals the last 4 Seasons ...the way this continues, he will surely get 20+ this season :)

Only as good as the service he receives and it usually has to be on a plate for him. Infuriating player to watch. Good defender for a forward.

Who provides his assists?