19 children and 2 teachers killed in Texas school shooting (24 May 2022)

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I rather have A chance then no chance.
If you gun is kept safely under lock and key it is no protection because you can't get to it. If it is left unlocked for protection your kids might well play with it and kill themselves. Or it gets stolen and is used to murder people like my father in law and his brother (true story).

Last edited:

RedDevilQuebecois

Knowing you COULD try and do something, how do you say you’re horrified and do jack shit. How do they square that with themselves?

Go stand in front of one of the parents and say ”I’m heartbroken ….. but”.

I already mentioned it earlier, but I will do it again anyway. Those politicians better come and see exactly what the bodies of those poor innocents look like now because of the politicians' own choices. Why? Because those politicians deserve to have nightmares for the rest of their lives after they see what they have allowed to fester.

Only after that I will allow McConnell to get slapped by a heartbroken parent if he still somehow has the guts to even come up with those words.

Last edited:

Moby

Dick
Surely there will come a tipping point to this madness? Surely?

The american gun lobby is some of the most despicable bunch of subhuman scum on earth. Equivalent if not worse than organised terrorist organisations.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Any inkling why ZA wasn’t included in this?
They have weirdly skewed data due to having such bad crime figures in general especially in the black townships where crime and mass unemployment isn't great I'd guess.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff

The american gun lobby is some of the most despicable bunch of subhuman scum on earth. Equivalent if not worse than organised terrorist organisations.
I very much doubt it.

prateik

Now is not the time to talk about guns guys..
It's time for thoughts and prayers

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member

We’ve had Columbine, Pearl, Parkland, Vegas, Pulse, Texas church, California church, Sandy Hook, San Bernardino, Buffalo, El Paso, Pittsburgh, DC sniper, Charleston, Virginia Tech, UT sniper, Gilroy, that’s just off the top of my head.

Don’t see a tipping point coming anytime soon.

Abizzz

6 presidents have been shot while in office. 4 of them died. It will take a cultural shift to change anything. I have no more hope a single event will.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
My point is the guy who wants the gun will still get it…criminals have illegal guns all the time. So if someone wanted to do it they would have a gun and you would just sit and watch as you mowed down.
Actual criminals don't do this shit. They use guns for proper crimes like robery, gang violence, drug trade etc.

I live in a country where only criminals have guns and I feel a lot safer. It's Jealous Joe and Incel Mike down the street, you need to be concerned about. They never commited a crime on their lives, and would never get past the necessary hurdles to find an illegal gun. Those are the ones I would actually need to be afraid of if I lived in America.

Guns are useless for defence anyway. It's all Hollywood crap. Initiative and willingness is what decides the outcome of shootouts. It.won't matter how armed the security guy is. He'll just be shot from the back instead. These guys chose schools because it hurts society more, not because it's easier.

Your only reasonable point is that the ban wouldn't stop shootings. Not overnight. It's largest benefit would probably be a slow change of culture. Less leople learning to shoot, less people in gun ranges, less guns in TV or youtube. 30 years from now they would be seen by the majority of the population as a stupid thing of the past.

Reactions: Invictus

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
It’s never going to be zero sum, any lessening of gun violence by whatever common sense method is a good thing. Cigarettes weren’t banned, they just had restrictions placed on where they could be smoked. Hundreds of thousands of people’s lives were saved yearly worldwide by these common sense restrictions. The same thing can happen for gun control.
What I’m saying is people that argue for more guns isn’t the answer. Arming citizens isn’t the answer. Allowing people to walk around with guns in holsters is insane along with people openly carrying rifles in their towns. Strict gun control is impossible so really this is a moot argument. Now the poster I responded to seemed to indicate arming guards at school would help which is exactly what the NRA would love to happen. It didn’t help today with the shooting with an armed person on the scene before the shooting. So what I am saying is ban all semi-auto rifles. Turn them all in.Maybe charge $100 a bullet who knows.But I do admit I am a leftist and a liberal but also have a glock. If they said hand it in tomorrow I wouldn’t mind at all. The kids are long gone so we go to the range and have our fun albeit surrounded by NRA nut bags. Stuff like this shooting though makes me start to think maybe I am part of the problem just by owning one myself. I don’t know. It’s just getting out of hand.

Ekeke

I 100% agree with your first paragraph.

As for the last one it’s never that thought out, it’s all a reaction and these guys aren’t doing research on what people at shop rite do or don’t carry a gun.

All I’m saying is if a gunman was shooting a mall up and he was 50 feet away from you and your family your going to wish you had a gun and knew how to use it.

As you said, 1000% their should be stricter laws on being able to acquire guns but banning them out right is just stupid.
Fair

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
What I’m saying is people that argue for more guns isn’t the answer. Arming citizens isn’t the answer. Allowing people to walk around with guns in holsters is insane along with people openly carrying rifles in their towns. Strict gun control is impossible so really this is a moot argument. Now the poster I responded to seemed to indicate arming guards at school would help which is exactly what the NRA would love to happen. It didn’t help today with the shooting with an armed person on the scene before the shooting. So what I am saying is ban all semi-auto rifles. Turn them all in.Maybe charge $100 a bullet who knows.But I do admit I am a leftist and a liberal but also have a glock. If they said hand it in tomorrow I wouldn’t mind at all. The kids are long gone so we go to the range and have our fun albeit surrounded by NRA nut bags. Stuff like this shooting though makes me start to think maybe I am part of the problem just by owning one myself. I don’t know. It’s just getting out of hand.
I was agreeing with you. Apart from football allegiances, we agree on everything here.

I own two. We aren’t the problem.

ExoduS

America is f**ked. There is something rotten here. I live here and can feel how alienated people are from one another.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
I was agreeing with you. Apart from football allegiances, we agree on everything here.

I own two. We aren’t the problem.
Yes but we probably differ where it comes to actual having guns. In other words “people are the problem not guns” is a saying I don’t believe in. Without guns people with guns isn’t possible which stops mass shootings. Don’t get me wrong,guns are fun which a lot on here might not understand but if they all came off the street I believe the shootings end and I have no problem with that.

Skills

Snitch
My point is the guy who wants the gun will still get it…criminals have illegal guns all the time. So if someone wanted to do it they would have a gun and you would just sit and watch as you mowed down.
No they don't. Most developed countries have extremely tough regulations even just on the possession of guns - and being in possession of any kind of military weapon would have you locked up on some serious charges.

The regulations on possession, are enough of a deterrent to keep weapons away from a good number of criminals.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
I'd argue if you own a gun and spend money at stuff like gun ranges you are definitely part of the problem. Not only you contribute financially to an undesirable industry, you count for statistics that are used by pro-gun activists.

Not trying to be judgemental, but that's what it is, no matter how small a part you are.

I politically defend green policies but still drive short differences due to commodism, I'm part of the polution problem. Not as much as an oil industry advocate, but as a principle it certainly applies.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
Criminals will always find a way to get illegal gun. Banning weapons and the right to bear arms and protect yourself just leaves you defence less against these shooters.

All these schools should have trained and armed security personnel. Ex military or law enforcement.

After something like this thinking we don’t need guns is absurd.

Criminals will always have access to guns, banning guns help the criminals more then the innocent.
Better yet, if one of the good toddlers were carrying a weapon this whole massacre could had been prevented!

Dudu

Horrifying and tragic, yet completely unsurprising.

Death toll could end could up surpassing Sandy Hook.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
I'd argue if you own a gun and spend money at stuff like gun ranges you are definitely part of the problem. Not only you contribute financially to an undesirable industry, you count for statistics that are used by pro-gun activists.

Not trying to be judgemental, but that's what it is, no matter how small a part you are.

I politically defend green policies but still drive short differences due to commodism, I'm part of the polution problem. Not as much as an oil industry advocate, but as a principle it certainly applies.
I don’t think learning how to protect yourself and use a weapon is a bad thing. I rather know how to use it safely.

Too left is a proven and too right is equally a problem, both who are too far on each side are dumbasses.

Find a balance, that’s where I’m at .

RedPed

Whatabouter.
No they don't. Most developed countries have extremely tough regulations even just on the possession of guns - and being in possession of any kind of military weapon would have you locked up on some serious charges.

The regulations on possession, are enough of a deterrent to keep weapons away from a good number of criminals.
If one thing history has shown, it's that there's no point reasoning with gun loons. You're wasting your breath.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I don’t think learning how to protect yourself and use a weapon is a bad thing. I rather know how to use it safely.

Too left is a proven and too right is equally a problem, both who are too far on each side are dumbasses.

As a Brit living in the UK with zero gun crime all I can say is that your opinion is alien to us. It's just bat shit crazy. America is a lost cause ultimately, it will require a President to have lived through their own trauma of losing a child to gun crime to change anything and even then it will be small, tiny steps.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Australia had a mass school shooting, took all guns, and guess what they didn't have any mass school shootings afterwards. But I guess Australia isn't USA so it won't work.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
As a Brit living in the UK with zero gun crime all I can say is that your opinion is alien to us. It's just bat shit crazy. America is a lost cause ultimately, it will require a President to have lived through their own trauma of losing a child to gun crime to change anything and even then it will be small, tiny steps.
Wrong sadly. They have no power and would probably start a civil war. They really have some nerve talking about Russia.

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )

An 18 year old should not be able to buy assault weapons. That's where I'm at.

reelworld

I 100% agree with your first paragraph.

As for the last one it’s never that thought out, it’s all a reaction and these guys aren’t doing research on what people at shop rite do or don’t carry a gun.

All I’m saying is if a gunman was shooting a mall up and he was 50 feet away from you and your family your going to wish you had a gun and knew how to use it.

As you said, 1000% their should be stricter laws on being able to acquire guns but banning them out right is just stupid.
or, if you don't meet a gunman at all, you could always went crazy and kill your family yourself

Tarrou

I don't think even that would make much difference

the President alone doesn't have enough power

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
When you consider the fact that there are more dead civilians from US mass shooting crime than the Russian fierce attack on Ukraine soil with bombs and guns and tanks etc yesterday, you know something’s not right.