Film 1917 (2019)

Member 39557

isn't that exactly what it was supposed to be, though? I saw it in IMAX and was blown away across the two hours. Not many films I've seen could do it to me, and there were a few moments that made me genuinely gasp. This, like Gravity, wasn't a film made for the small screen (although it's a much better overall film than Gravity). In terms of what it was I thought it was incredible.
I don't know. The way some people rave about it, I was expecting a better film around all the spectacle.
It's a good film for the cinema, but like Gravity (although to a slightly lesser extent because of the 3D) it wouldn't be half as good on a small screen.

stepic

Got absolutely no desire to see any more war films. I’m sure it’s technically good, but once you’ve seen Band Of Brothers and Saving Private Ryan - not sure what else needs to be said on the subject.
the thin red line >>>>>>>>> saving private ryan

wr8_utd

:'(
This movie NEEDS to be seen in IMAX. An absolutely spectacular and immersive experience.

ChrisNelson

Saw this last night and really enjoyed it. I think it makes the film even more impressive that it is one continuous scene, it feels more real and you know you're not missing anything.

Top class lead roles and effects, all around great effort and would recommend to all.

RedDevilRoshi

What did you think of it mate?
Thought it was excellent. Had you on the edge of your seat at all times.
I didn’t expect Chapman’s character to die so soon or even at all so that came as a wee bit of a shock to me!

Also thought it was pretty cool with it being shot all in one continuous scene which again makes it even more exciting.

Definitely one to recommend for anyone that hasn’t seen it!

Last edited by a moderator:

ChrisNelson

Thought it was excellent. Had you on the edge of your seat at all times.
I didn’t expect Chapman’s character to die so soon or even at all so that came as a wee bit of a shock to me!

Also thought it was pretty cool with it being shot all in one continuous scene which again makes it even more exciting.

Definitely one to recommend for anyone that hasn’t seen it!
You might want to spoiler some of that mate in case anyone comes to the thread that hasn’t seen it...

Agree with you on your comments!

Last edited by a moderator:

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Watched it on a smaller screen so unfortunately didn't get the full experience but it was bloody brilliant. I never cried as an adult unless I'm listening to live music but the ending almost left me with a moist eye.

RedRazor

on the radio
It's a really great movie-saw it in Isense, and it really pulls you in. The cinematography is something else, but for story, I preferred Hacksaw Ridge.

Sylar

Saw this in IMAX today. Really enjoyed it altho gf didn't :lol:
I was shocked at one of the parts which @RedDevilRoshi mentions
There were one or two slow parts but that's ok for me

Do think it's more spectacle than movie as others have said but the one shot filming (or close to one shot) was great for this type of movie

Jericholyte2

Just seen it. What a film.

The scene where the soldiers go over the top while William tries to run by them was one of the best scenes I've ever seen.
That had me literally grabbing the armrests of my seat. I also started getting shivers and randomly cried, which was wired.

Great film, absolutely stunning work with Rodger Deakins (sp?) but I did count roughly 20 spots where they could hide cuts.

I think most years this would be a sure thing for best picture but, having seen some of the others I think especially Jojo Rabbit and Marriage Story (arguably) are better films.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
I loved 1917, thoroughly impressive and Deakins's body of work is a sight to behold. The whole film worked really well for me and it's not often that I'm so invested in what's going on on the screen.

Camy89

Love Island obsessive
Saw it this afternoon.

Excellent film.

I pointed out to my other half that many of the scenes were exceptionally long and filmed in one go. Really impressive. The sound was spot on, music was rousing and suspenseful, good jump scenes.

The No Man's Land scenes, looked similar to Tranmere's pitch, but the detail in it was unbelievable, bodies everywhere, bloated bodies in the water and these guys just wading through trying to block it all out.

4.7/5

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Great film. Loved the way it was shot. Found it really interesting.

Sylar

Saw it this afternoon.

Excellent film.

I pointed out to my other half that many of the scenes were exceptionally long and filmed in one go. Really impressive. The sound was spot on, music was rousing and suspenseful, good jump scenes.

The No Man's Land scenes, looked similar to Tranmere's pitch, but the detail in it was unbelievable, bodies everywhere, bloated bodies in the water and these guys just wading through trying to block it all out.

4.7/5
the skeleton appearing , the jump and the hand going down was a grusome scene in its simplicity

Dante

Average bang
I enjoyed 1917 a lot more than Jojo Rabbit. But neither should be getting close to Best Picture at the Oscars.

Dante

Average bang
the skeleton appearing , the jump and the hand going down was a grusome scene in its simplicity
I had an English teacher at school who's favourite bug bear was about how modern horror movies weren't really horror, because they weren't actually horrific.

I reckon he'd have approved of that scene. In fact, I'm almost certain he'd consider 1917 to be a horror movie in truest, most literal sense.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I enjoyed 1917 a lot more than Jojo Rabbit. But neither should be getting close to Best Picture at the Oscars.
Agree. From the reviews in here, I took myself off to the cinema to go watch it in IMAX. I don't regret doing so and the film is a must see from the technical and visual aspect, and I can see it doing justifiably well in those categories, but as a whole, story inclusive, it's alright, but not amazing.

Siorac

It's a war film. Excellent cinematography, yes, some of the shots were absolutely beautiful - but overall it was just another war film.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
I thought the second part was a bit rushed, as soon as Ecoust was reached. Still, enjoyed the movie from beginning till the end.

Sylar

I thought the second part was a bit rushed, as soon as Ecoust was reached. Still, enjoyed the movie from beginning till the end.
I enjoyed the first half more especially with the interaction between the two.

I had an English teacher at school who's favourite bug bear was about how modern horror movies weren't really horror, because they weren't actually horrific.

I reckon he'd have approved of that scene. In fact, I'm almost certain he'd consider 1917 to be a horror movie in truest, most literal sense.
Yeah I get that. Its the little things which are horrific but realistic too.

Jagga7

Spectacular film. Really enjoyed start to finish, the one shot take really adds to the tension on many of the scenes. Soundtrack is spot on as well, highly recommend it!

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
I'm going to see this on Sunday with 4 nice women in a luxury cinema where you can drink beer.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
It was really superb. Stunningly shot movie - the scenes when he was in the city at night with the fire lighting everything up were just beautiful. Very moving as well. I loved it.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Finally got around to seeing it yesterday - thought it was good without being great. From a purely technical standpoint, its a marvel... incredibly well shot and great to look at (especially the night scene). The story itself though is soso, and whilst carried by a few incredibly intense scenes, wasn't quite enough for me to hail this is a great film.

One thing I still can't wrap my head around... is this meant to be set in real time? A lot of the articles/marketing around it seem to claim it is, but surely it can't be? Otherwise this "really impossible journey" took all of 2 hours. I know there was one very obvious time jump - but are there meant to be others too?

Anyway, in terms of recent(ish) huge war films I'd put it a level above Dunkirk but not as enjoyable as Hacksaw Ridge - even if it is a level above on a technical stand point.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Finally got around to seeing it yesterday - thought it was good without being great. From a purely technical standpoint, its a marvel... incredibly well shot and great to look at (especially the night scene). The story itself though is soso, and whilst carried by a few incredibly intense scenes, wasn't quite enough for me to hail this is a great film.

One thing I still can't wrap my head around... is this meant to be set in real time? A lot of the articles/marketing around it seem to claim it is, but surely it can't be? Otherwise this "really impossible journey" took all of 2 hours. I know there was one very obvious time jump - but are there meant to be others too?

Anyway, in terms of recent(ish) huge war films I'd put it a level above Dunkirk but not as enjoyable as Hacksaw Ridge - even if it is a level above on a technical stand point.
I'm pretty sure there's supposed to be a level of disbelief when it comes to the time. My guess is that it took place over a 12-18 hour period and the real time scenes were "sped up" a bit. An obvious one is the quick transition from night to day during the chase and river jump.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I'm pretty sure there's supposed to be a level of disbelief when it comes to the time. My guess is that it took place over a 12-18 hour period and the real time scenes were "sped up" a bit. An obvious one is the quick transition from night to day during the chase and river jump.
Well they did say it was 6 AM... so it would get light fairly quickly? (granted not that quickly)

I figured another one was when he was in the car (as otherwise he literally got a ride to travel about 100 metres) ... just think the film could have done a better job of conveying that time is passing quickly or whatever. I don't think the Marketing helps - with taglines like "Time is the Enemy" and whatnot.

My initial thought when leaving the cinema was "was that mission really that difficult?!" ... and i'm still not entirely sure.