1999 Champions League final match thread

Sparky Rhiwabon

I wasn't sure where to ask this but was there a match thread on here for this famous match against Bayern Munich? Was RedCafe even around in those days?

If so, is it possible to see that thread now, specifically the injury time!?

If not, does anyone remember what the reactions were like on the "internet" (this was pre-social media I guess!)? Either on here or a similar website?

I would love to see the reactions in those few minutes!!

Thanks

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
I think the oldest member I've seen had a 1999 join date, not sure if Niall himself. Oldest threads in the classic area are from 2001 so I don't think the forum was around during that game. Niall probably became a glory hunter after that final and created the forum then.

17 Van der Gouw

biffa bin
If it weren't for the fact people using dial-up internet would have taken about 5 minutes to submit each post

Assuming the same caliber of posters were active on Redcafe, the thread would look like this ten minutes in:

FFS, cheap free kick
feck off Johnsen
1-0 down already. We're shit
Embarassing
Same old shit. Going to get buttfecked tonight
All the top.reds saying we're going to turn it around can feck off
feck off Fergie, playing Blomqvist in a game like this
Need to sell off half of this shower of twats, get Rivaldo and Del Piero next year
Goes to show what lack of spending will do. Wont win shit with these academy idiots
OMG we're shit

...5 minutes after full time

Maybe now we'll be able to attract some big names next year and not have to rely on scraping it

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
For those saying that the current crop would be dejected and horrid... Is that what the 2011 and 2009 match threads were like? Prove it?

I know we are dispirited at the moment, but if we were on the verge of a treble, the posts wouldn't be like that at all. It would be more like this

Oh well. Its a fantastic achievement. No Keane or Scholes has killed us though.
and
please... Please... Just a moment of magic :(

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
I wasn't sure where to ask this but was there a match thread on here for this famous match against Bayern Munich? Was RedCafe even around in those days?

If so, is it possible to see that thread now, specifically the injury time!?

If not, does anyone remember what the reactions were like on the "internet" (this was pre-social media I guess!)? Either on here or a similar website?

I would love to see the reactions in those few minutes!!

Thanks
Nope. Not in this form anyway. Was just a fan website with news and stuff I think from around 1997 until a few months after CL final

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Nope. Not in this form anyway. Was just a fan website with news and stuff I think from around 1997 until a few months after CL final
Really? That's interesting. What was the domain back then?

kps88

For those saying that the current crop would be dejected and horrid... Is that what the 2011 and 2009 match threads were like? Prove it?

I know we are dispirited at the moment, but if we were on the verge of a treble, the posts wouldn't be like that at all. It would be more like this

and
Yep. The mood is far more cheerful and there's a real sense of camaraderie, even when things aren't going too well.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
I saw a google group post once and the comments were during a United game in 1997. People may have been posting on there during the 99 final, not sure how to find it though.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
FFS Schmeichel get back in goal you fecking gimp!
Why do we never score from set pieces?
That baby faced idiot?!! FFS Fergie, why don't you just hand Bayern the cup?
Sign the crossbar! :drool:
Sigh. Beckham's corners are useless, one in five fail to beat the first man! He must be on at least 50 grand a week!
We miss Keane and Scholes so much it's scary
Oh wait, that last one still applies...

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
:lol: ''Why do we never score from corners'' will have 100% been said.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Why are so many of the older users banned?
Always wondered that myself, 90% of the posters back then seemed class too, shame they ain't around anymore.

2 man midfield

I didn't know the internet existed until around 2007, nearly signed up in 2011, couldn't due to the email restrictions, did in 2012 and was promoted after 4000 posts.

A week after signing up they de-restricted the email signup and just after promotion it got easier to make it up here. You now see fellas knocking about in the mains with 100 odd posts!

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
I didn't know the internet existed until around 2007, nearly signed up in 2011, couldn't due to the email restrictions, did in 2012 and was promoted after 4000 posts.

A week after signing up they de-restricted the email signup and just after promotion it got easier to make it up here. You now see fellas knocking about in the mains with 100 odd posts!
I got up in like 500 in 2008

2 man midfield

I got up in like 500 in 2008
I think there's a few cases of people coming up in under 1000 posts, but until a few months back i'm sure it was extremely rare. Definitely been a bit more relaxed recently.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Also what's up with the guest system in the older threads ? See naught of that these days.. :confused:

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I think there's a few cases of people coming up in under 1000 posts, but until a few months back i'm sure it was extremely rare. Definitely been a bit more relaxed recently.
I came up on my 100th post I think it was.