1999 Champions League final match thread

Burak1878

I joined this forum in 2001, but I remember how the redcafe was in 99. It was just a fan site. Match reports, songs (mp3s) wallpapers.I also remember I was chatting with Niall on the icq. :)

17 Van der Gouw

biffa bin
I joined this forum in 2001, but I remember how the redcafe was in 99. It was just a fan site. Match reports, songs (mp3s) wallpapers.I also remember I was chatting with Niall on the icq. :)
Thanks, that makes sense then - the site was active in 1999 just not the forum!

Spoony

The People's President

You've be very prolific haven't you? Christ doesn't time fly.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
ITV4 is airing the full match footage from the final right now.

We're 1-0 down with 77 mins played.

Come on you reds... :keano:

I'm also getting irrationally annoyed by the fact that Bayern's shirt lettering is in sentence case.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
"Football, bloody hell!"

Genuinely didn't realise that that quote came from his immediate post-match interview with itv!

The Oracle

I was 13 years old at the time of the '99 Final.

I was watching the match at my grandparents' house (as I did all European games)

...and when the clock struck 90 minutes my grandad said, "They need a miracle now"

Love it! Love it! Love it!

Just watching it on ITV4+1... Blomqvist just missed a sitter!

The Real Treble 99

Just watched the whole match on ITV4. Very emotional & I still get goose bumps! I was 19 at the time & to this day I will NEVER EVER forget the final. Even though we were 1 down we always knew we would do something until the last second of the game. When Teddy equalised it was sheer joy & that pressure was off as we all thought extra time, let’s do this. But forget that, absolute pandemonium & unbelievable emotions poured out when our super sub Ole scored in the last few seconds of the match. Unbelievable season from the players & the great SAF who made that team achieve greatness. Thank you soo much for giving us the best days of my life as a Utd supporter. I will NEVER EVER forget!

United58

Just watched the whole match on ITV4. Very emotional & I still get goose bumps! I was 19 at the time & to this day I will NEVER EVER forget the final. Even though we were 1 down we always knew we would do something until the last second of the game. When Teddy equalised it was sheer joy & that pressure was off as we all thought extra time, let’s do this. But forget that, absolute pandemonium & unbelievable emotions poured out when our super sub Ole scored in the last few seconds of the match. Unbelievable season from the players & the great SAF who made that team achieve greatness. Thank you soo much for giving us the best days of my life as a Utd supporter. I will NEVER EVER forget!
Goosebumps just reading that, didn't start supporting til 2002 but my god this team was something else, Ferguson is absolutely king of the world where football is concerned

Raw

:lol:

Do like seeing old match threads. Helps that it was a lot less populated so it doesn't take an age to read.

Amir

In 1999 I was registered to some mailing list, and with cell phone technology being in its infancy it was a heck of a thing that I was able to receive emails to my phone and be updated.

I watched the final at home, but in the semi final second leg against Juventus I was in army service and was unable to watch the match. So I shut the phone down, went to sleep during the match and was then woken up for my patrol. Then I started walking and restated the phone, receiving all the messages posted during the match and finding out we won 3-2. I don't remember which messages I got first - the ones that mentioned the result, or the ones in which we were 0-1 and 0-2 down!

Needless to say, it was an enjoyable patrol.

Heardy

My wife saw it in the TV guide when flicking through and recorded last 10 mins. She didn’t know the significance of the game but thought I’d enjoy watching it again (bless her).

She couldn’t believe that I could pretty much recall the commentary of the last few minutes I’ve seen it that much.

Pure ecstasy watching that as a 13 year old.

zenith

I wasn't sure where to ask this but was there a match thread on here for this famous match against Bayern Munich? Was RedCafe even around in those days?

If so, is it possible to see that thread now, specifically the injury time!?

If not, does anyone remember what the reactions were like on the "internet" (this was pre-social media I guess!)? Either on here or a similar website?

I would love to see the reactions in those few minutes!!

Thanks

I think you could check out the official forum archives from manutd.com.

I used to post a LOT over there before the forum underwent a rather bad interface overhaul, leading me to stumble upon redcafe.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Ole gets all the retrospective headlines but Teddy Sheringham was the man who really changed that game. Made a massive impact.

United Hobbit

Thanks for this, will watch the ending now then watch it in whole while wfh tomorrow.

"Can Manchester United score, they always score" when you know what happens next still gives me goosebumps

How id love to see us win it again.

What's the accompanying ITV hour long documentaries are we on any of them? Currently on 8pm til 9pm? Also anyone know if our 08 one is on anytime?

This whole this year's Liverpool are the greatest team argument falls flat when watching this team, especially as we had so many home grown players and watching how the treble remains an unprecedented feat. I had a huge poster from the paper of us lifting the trophy in my room

Last edited:

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
I was 13 years old at the time of the '99 Final.

I was watching the match at my grandparents' house (as I did all European games)

...and when the clock struck 90 minutes my grandad said, "They need a miracle now"

Love it! Love it! Love it!

Just watching it on ITV4+1... Blomqvist just missed a sitter!
I said to my dad; " it's over, we've lost", and he said "it's not over, keep watching...".

I had news paper cuttings from that season on my wall. Becks, Giggs, Keane, Scholes, Yorke, Cole. Didn't have any pictures of Solskjear before the final though!

Didn't have any pictures of

madzo2007

Its the best 2 minutes ever!

I was 13 at the time and it still remains the only time I've came close to crying over a football match through sheer happiness. I barely had time to calm down from the equaliser to Ole scoring the winner, "And Solskjaer has won it!" still sends shivers down my spine.

cosimas

also getting irrationally annoyed by the fact that Bayern's shirt lettering is in sentence case.
Hah! I thought it was just me. I'm pretty certain I had a grumble to my mate at the time, and was completely ignored. Gotta love the moment when Colina is trying to encourage the Bayern players to get up and restart the game. :)

United Hobbit

Imagine actually being there...

Unfortunately being down South i never managed to get to OT until the last few years, through one of their supporters' clubs. How id love to go back and get the chance to go to one of the matches where one of the multiple great sides Sir Alex had were playing. Bet the atmosphere at OT was incredible

United58

Thanks for this, will watch the ending now then watch it in whole while wfh tomorrow.

"Can Manchester United score, they always score" when you know what happens next still gives me goosebumps

How id love to see us win it again.

What's the accompanying ITV hour long documentaries are we on any of them? Currently on 8pm til 9pm? Also anyone know if our 08 one is on anytime?

This whole this year's Liverpool are the greatest team argument falls flat when watching this team, especially as we had so many home grown players and watching how the treble remains an unprecedented feat. I had a huge poster from the paper of us lifting the trophy in my room
Our 1994, 1999 and 2008 teams are miles better than 2020 Liverpool

marktan

A lot of you seem to have been 13 at the time, coincidentally I was 13 at the time of the '08 final. I remember it vividly because our TV stopped working that day, my dad had to drive me to my uncles to watch it on his screen. Absolutely shitting it the whole way through, especially through penos..

Looking back it seems like a different time, that was the pinnacle of that United team and it was a slow downhill fall from there. Life also changed a lot after that, I think that's the last time I can remember my dad actually living with us. Things are a lot simpler when you're 13 and your team wins the CL.

LisburnWhite

I had just turned 30 when watching this match, had just been married a few years and had a 6 month old son in a cot in the room.
When Teddy scored my wife and myself shouted so loud the wee man in the cot started bawling his head off.
No sooner had we lifted him out to settle him down than the second goal went in and baby Joe was being shaken up and down and was howling like a mad thing (thankfully he had no after effects and is fine young man now).
Great times and memories that will never be forgotten.

United Hobbit

I think Sir Alex just summed it up in his post match interview saying "they just never give in"

I hope this is a mentality Ole can bring back as it was a trademark of Sir Alex's sides

davidmichael

There’s nights/matches that I remember me going crazy over us winning like the FA Cup final replay in 1990, the Cup Winners Cup final in 1991, the FA Cup final in 1996, beating Everton 4-2 in 2007 and the Champions League final in 2008 but I honestly don’t think anything will ever top that night in 1999 as I’ve never felt so many emotions or euphoria like it and that season as a whole left me an emotional wreck.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Watched that 08 final with my 2 sons, then aged 12 & 8.Their mum was working a night shift.
Will never forget the tension, despair and finally sheer joy of that penalty shoot out. Bedlam! One of those moments that make life worth living.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I was there.

Can still smell the inside of the train on way to Nou Camp singing 'Taking over, Taking Over, Taking Over BarCeLona'.

And seeing Nou Camp for the first time - what a sight! It was 65% all United fans!

Towards the end of the game, I remember dreading going back to the office, as they would all take the piss because I'd spent most of my yearly bonus on the ticket and flight.

Stayed inside stadium for 45 minutes after the game, dancing on our chairs.

And some chap came up with 'Who put the ball in the German Net, Ole Gunner Solskjaer?' by the time we left the stadium as we were all singing it.

I didn't watch the TV version for about 8 years, as I didn't want to spoil those memories.

Last edited:

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
It's quite amazing how they hit the post and the bar twice in the last 15 minutes, things could have been so so different.

I don't really believe in religion or things like fate, but sometimes you have to just accept things were meant to be that night. the "football gods" were with us to finish the story.

We have to remember we didn't have Scholes or Keane which would have made a huge difference, so to be able to claw that back was a real miracle.

It's fair to say bringing on Sheringham and Ole changed the game, and Beckham/Butt really ran the midfield in the last 10 minutes, their energy was vital.

Squeaky Bumtime

Watched it at my aunts' on a small tv (back then that was a moderate size tv :D ), jumped and screamed around after we scored and won. I was always screaming or pumping fists celebration type of guy.
What a team that was... Amazing.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
It's quite amazing how they hit the post and the bar twice in the last 15 minutes, things could have been so so different.

I don't really believe in religion or things like fate, but sometimes you have to just accept things were meant to be that night. the "football gods" were with us to finish the story.

We have to remember we didn't have Scholes or Keane which would have made a huge difference, so to be able to claw that back was a real miracle.

It's fair to say bringing on Sheringham and Ole changed the game, and Beckham/Butt really ran the midfield in the last 10 minutes, their energy was vital.
I never believed in football Gods until I saw Chelsea win the CL in 2012. They were just meant to win that CL. Us in 99, Liverpool in 05, I put down to coincidence. That Chelsea win in 2012 was freaky weird though.

Dannnny

I was 7 at the time, watched it at home with my mum and I had a United flag draped over the sofa. I remember she started to take it down and said "Oh well.. Well done Bayern Munich". I was nearly in tears, and then Teddy struck! Amazing.

Precaution

ive no idea how i been here since 2003 mostly lurking back in the old days of the interwebs but i remember watching the 08 final funnily enough in all places at Watford's ground in their Corporate Box because we just played in a 5 a side national tournament there, that was interesting. fun fact; i became friends with Dermot Gallagher and still friends with his son till this day (my lofty ambitions to be a Referee)

lex talionis

That day is still like yesterday for me. Bayern dominated us in the 90, but then stoppage time happened.

I'm not sure I could have spent time typing posts during such a momentous occasion.