2 points behind City

Martialfc

Is it bad that I’m gutted city lost as I can’t stand the thought of the scum winning the league ? I know it’s early days but I genuinely think I have a problem..

Reactions: Sultan

Bulldog United

Is it bad that I’m gutted city lost as I can’t stand the thought of the scum winning the league ? I know it’s early days but I genuinely think I have a problem..
No, I think it's normal. Given the gulf in class between the rest of the league and those top two, we have no choice but to pray for our bitter local rivals City to keep them off their perch.

Reactions: Sultan

cyril C

Liverpool premier league winners 2020 thread is all that is left
Correct. If just being 2 points behind City was worth celebrating, then how about 2020 is Liverpool to lose, from Sep! No other team is in any form and even if City picks up, which they will do, winning the League 3 times in a row is impossible. So only a Leicester scenario and a capitulation of Liverpool will see them crying baby again, 3rd time....

Decomposing In Paris

This thread is hilarious, I can't believe something so simple has prompted so much condescension & complaining!

We are in fact 2 points behind City, it's not comparing our league position to Wolves.

I think some of us have missed the tactical insight that this week was really about though...
We should get our legends to play Liverpool midweek next.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
No, I think it's normal. Given the gulf in class between the rest of the league and those top two, we have no choice but to pray for our bitter local rivals City to keep them off their perch.
Liverpool have Chelsea away and us at Old Trafford coming soon.

There’s no point looking at the league table yet really. Let’s see where they are after those games.

Lentwood

Just wished we would have scored our penalties because the mood would be completely different around here.
I know you’re style @Wumminator so I’m not sure if you’re being 100% sincere but I very much agree with this statement

Fact is, we’ve arguably had the chances to win every game we’ve played. We could feasibly with more luck and the bounce of a ball be sat on 15pts

I accept we aren’t great and there is A LOT of work to do...but by nature of having a young side we’re going to let points slip that more experienced sides wouldn’t. We have to live with that as part of the rebuild

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
I know you’re style @Wumminator so I’m not sure if you’re being 100% sincere but I very much agree with this statement

Fact is, we’ve arguably had the chances to win every game we’ve played. We could feasibly with more luck and the bounce of a ball be sat on 15pts

I accept we aren’t great and there is A LOT of work to do...but by nature of having a young side we’re going to let points slip that more experienced sides wouldn’t. We have to live with that as part of the rebuild
Agree fully. I also hope that with a full season with a reduced wage and youngsters given a chance we might identify two/three areas to really improve next year.

Lentwood

Agree fully. I also hope that with a full season with a reduced wage and youngsters given a chance we might identify two/three areas to really improve next year.
That’s my thinking. This isn’t FIFA or Football Manager - even if we COULD sign 7/8 players in one window I highly doubt that strategy would be effective. We’d probably end up with another 4/5 duds that need moving on if we did that.

A phased approach is far better. Sign proven, established but ‘young’ players in the positions we need to fill most urgently each Summer.

Next year we should be looking for a CM, a winger and a CF between the ages of 20-25

Dr. StrangeHate

After running the numbers through a sophisticated extrapolation software, it tells me that Liverpool are going to end up with 114 points this season.

Bestietom

Finish today and we are in Champions League. Let's see where we are after another 33 games. A long season ahead of us still, but if we can manage to stay in touch with top 4 until Christmas and bring in a few players then you never know.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
We could easily be in front of them. That Palace game .....
Oh well, it will be close race with them for 2nd spot if we presume that Liverpool is a champion already( i mean, in those 33 games to play i can't see where they will lose points).

Josep Dowling

I was amazed to see we are 4th having already dropped 7 points from 15. Just shows how all the top teams are struggling except Liverpool.

I just hope we get Champions League just so we can get Sancho.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
It’s all good, but it’s the top spot we need to look at, at least at this stage of the season.

I’ve said before but the only way you can make a confident charge for the top 4 in this league is if you challenge for the title. Aiming for 4th or whatever is so risky, you need to spend most of the season fighting for 1st in order to guarantee 4th.

wolvored

If we can finish 2 points behind City on the final day, this will be a major leap forward and also mean the Champions League.

Sterling Archer

2 points behind City...okay...but that also means...
1 point ahead of Bournemouth
...and more importantly...
7 points behind the leaders, Liverpool

This thread should be merged with 'Why we've lowered our standards for Ole".

R'hllor

What a thread and if you think things would be more rose if results were better, maybe but results arent the issue for many, we have seen that movie in the past under JM etc. "Shit peformance, good 3ts" "We got away with it but who cares win is a win" and so on week in week out, it always ended up in the same manner for us in a long run.

patty123

"2 points behind City"

Never mind that, barring a win for the hammers tomorrow, we stay fourth, lets build on that if you ask me.

OldSchoolManc

It’s a new dawn,
It’s a new day,
It’s a new life,
For United...

And I’m feeling like the owners have stitched us up good and proper, relying on the hope that the team will miraculously click

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
Was looking for a positive thread to post this in...

Copied from reddit:

"We have the same amount of clean sheets at Old Trafford this season as we had last season. 2 clean sheets in 19 matches last season and 2 clean sheets after 3 games this season!"

Sterling Archer

Joint best defence in the league.
Mate, that proves my point.

When LVG was here, we winced at his slow possession football. Not United enough. FA Cup for the first time in a decade. Not good enough.

With Jose, we laughed at an unbeaten run because it was mostly draws. His multiple seasons getting us the joint second best defense in the league after 38 games (not 5) was chided because the attacking prowess wasn't there. Not United enough. League Cup and Europa League. Not right for United.

And here we are purring about Ole, five games into a season 7 points behind the leaders already. Because we let in the fewest goals in the league after spending the most money in the league on defenders? What about that attacking United culture? We're 7th for number of goals scored. We're outpossessed by teams at our own home playing some defensive counter style football. What happened to our heritage? I'm still seeing the aging Matic, Young, Mata starting games. So what about that heritage again?

Knee jerk. Hypocrisy. Let's talk the team and Ole up after a while yet.

sugar_kane

Before kick off on opening day we were level on points so if anything we’re going backwards :(

Grande

Mate, that proves my point.

When LVG was here, we winced at his slow possession football. Not United enough. FA Cup for the first time in a decade. Not good enough.

With Jose, we laughed at an unbeaten run because it was mostly draws. His multiple seasons getting us the joint second best defense in the league after 38 games (not 5) was chided because the attacking prowess wasn't there. Not United enough. League Cup and Europa League. Not right for United.

And here we are purring about Ole, five games into a season 7 points behind the leaders already. Because we let in the fewest goals in the league after spending the most money in the league on defenders? What about that attacking United culture? We're 7th for number of goals scored. We're outpossessed by teams at our own home playing some defensive counter style football. What happened to our heritage? I'm still seeing the aging Matic, Young, Mata starting games. So what about that heritage again?

Knee jerk. Hypocrisy. Let's talk the team and Ole up after a while yet.
You are not being genuine. Most neutrals have observed we play a more positive style of football now, as opposed to under LVG and Mou. The players as well. It’s the ability to pull it of that’s inconsistent.

You are comparing LVG and Mourinho after two full seasons to Solskjær five games into his first full season? Disingenuine. You are comparing Solskjær after three reinforcements, with LvG and Mou after 13 and 11? When you dub others knee jerk, is that hypocrisy?

‘ ... and here we are purring’. Are you? Have you read this thread? Are you genuine?

You are mentioning Mata, Young and Matic referring to heritage, why? Because they are old, when we play about the youngest team in the league? Because they are defensive players? Are they? What is your argument?

Havak

Pokemon master
It's just so strange being a United fan, as while I think performance-wise we haven't been great by any means, but we should have easily taken 13/15 points thus far and the vast majority of the time we would have. If those games were played again with a big moment or two going our way per game, we'd be close to maximum points and sitting in 2nd. I really just never know what to expect from us and I don't know whether that's exciting or frustrating.