2 points behind City

Gasolin

I admire your optimism and wished I had the same, but here are the issues with the points you have raised:
1 - Once United take the lead in games, we don't push for a second the way Pool and City do. The opposition then puts a few attacks together and are able to nick a point or better. Leicester game seems to be an exception - we rode our luck. Eventually over a season, our lack of efforts on goal will tell (we are 6th in the table in no. of shots).
2 - Agree that our 3 signings are looking great, but there are gaping holes in the team elsewhere in midfield and attack - not nearly enough for a team that wants to challenge.
3 - I hate to say it, but this Liverpool is unlike any other Liverpool of the Premiership era. They are good in every department and it will take another almost flawless campaign from City to stop them winning the title.
4 - Regarding Ole and making these players mentally tougher, it remains to be seen. Every time there's a small crisis (going behind etc.), they don't respond particularly well. Time will tell of course.
Well there's not much I can say. Maybe just this.

1. When Ole had his run of victories, he was asking for the 2nd and 3rd goal, so this is a state of mind we are willing to go for. If the hyper comes back, it's altogether in my opinion.
3. The bench is still going to be a problem and I am sure it will happen, a season is always funky.

Toni's Left Foot

John Stones now out for up to five weeks leaving City with just 1 established central defender in Otamendi.

Eric7C

Well there's not much I can say. Maybe just this.

1. When Ole had his run of victories, he was asking for the 2nd and 3rd goal, so this is a state of mind we are willing to go for. If the hyper comes back, it's altogether in my opinion.
Why did it disappear in the first place? Top 4 was well within reach at that stage of the season and the players simply threw it away and Ole could not rescue the situation. We all want him to be a success here, but the evidence just doesn't seem to back it up at the moment.

Having said that, I am all for giving him this season so that we can ascertain if there is tangible progress or not. As you said, he's bought good players and seems to want the right kind too (pacy wingers and forwards), though at the same time he seems to have blind spots (playing Rashford as a striker, Pogba in a withdrawn role and not playing Fred enough).

Le Red

To all the people thinking somehow this is a good thing:

2/5 = x/38 --> 38x2 = 5x --> 76/5 = x --> x = 15.2

Meaning that if the tendency were to continue, we'd finish 15 points behind them.
It would be a good thing if not for the fact M. City had tougher fixtures and is arguably underperforming.
Yay.

momo83

Massive Snowflake
Crystal Palace are just a point behind us... so what a title challenge it’s its going to be any one of 12 teams can win it.

Le Red

Somebody delete this disgraceful thread and remove OP's thread creating privileges.
The team is already shameful enough, we can do without the Caf posters making it even more embarrassing.

Lee565

This weekend has brought reality back, man city back to destroying teams after a minor blip whilst we continue to score a single goal from open play in a match where we have to rely on getting a clean sheet every match to stand a chance of getting points.

Mark_Barca

Supports
Barcelona
This aged well. No idea why people create these threads. Destined to haunt you.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
As I said, embarrassing thread, tongue-in-cheek or not.

Lee565

I'm guessing along with the PSG result, being 2 points behind man city after 5 games of a new season will be Solskjear's biggest claim to fame whilst managing United.

Popcorn

Not sure which teams we can confidently overcome in the table on current form. Probably Palace, maybe Bournemouth? Need a few players to step up their goal tally.