2 Senior Players Scrap At Training

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Any guesses? :lol:
The Sun has a habit of using blacked out versions of the actual players in situations like that so trying to work out the hair styles. Best not to guess for legal reasons but I think I've worked out the one on the right

BigRon1985

If memory serves, Jim Holton and Stewart Houston got into a right ding-dong at the Cliff one day. Apparently, the Doc had to promise exclusives to a couple of journos who witnessed it just to keep it out of the papers. George Graham, when he was with us, had a habit of spicing training sessions up. Having been a member of Arsenal's double winners, he didn't take kindly to players he thought weren't putting in 100%. The Doc, it is said, encouraged him in this.
The Doc era (when players had pride in the shirt|) dressing room was quite a volatile place to be and dust ups were quite common.

Apparently Gordon Hill did a mean Norman Wisdom impersonation so when things kicked off he would go into a routine and the whole dressing room would fall about laughing! :lol:

Last edited:

honirelandboy

Hopefully Maguire got a few slaps, he couldn't even say in that famous interview that his form was bad this season. Maybe someone caught Shaw eating a curry cheese bacon chip in the jacks. Maybe Rashford, Pogba, Lingard were dancing and mucking around during training, Maybe someone called out Scott and AWB as championship players.
Who knows

Bole Top

most likely Lingard and whoever he was trying to gift his dancefloor hoodie to. can't say I blame the other player.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
The Sun has a habit of using blacked out versions of the actual players in situations like that so trying to work out the hair styles. Best not to guess for legal reasons but I think I've worked out the one on the right
Yep and the one on the left.

crossy1686

career ending
About time to be honest, I would have thought this was happening more often if they genuine care about their careers in top flight football.

The blacked out players are two defenders by the way

Dante

Average bang
If The Sun knew who was fighting, they would have revealed it.

The silhouettes were deliberately picked because they know that Maguire is the most hated footballer in England, so his image was always going to create the most controversy and discussion online.

If Maguire actually was one of the fighters, the 'papers would have jumped on it in a heartbeat. Would have been all their Christmases come at once.

Mmm-Qatarian

That this is being reported in The Sun and only The Sun makes me think that it's almost certainly not the big deal it's being made out to be in the article.

I'd be willing to wager that this "shocking training ground scrap" is in fact the sort of confrontation that you'd see fairly regularly across all training grounds.

Dante

Average bang
What legal reasons? This isn't a police investigation or an ongoing court case.

The blacked out images are because The Sun don't know who was fighting. Choosing Maguire for one of the blacked out images was the journalistic equivalent of throwing chum into shark infested waters.

Dante

Average bang
That this is being reported in The Sun and only The Sun makes me think that it's almost certainly not the big deal it's being made out to be in the article.

I'd be willing to wager that this "shocking training ground scrap" is in fact the sort of confrontation that you'd see fairly regularly across all training grounds.
Yep. It happens all the time. At every club.

SER19

Just counting down days until the cull. After so little to celebrate I'll be celebrating some departures like a last minute winner

MattyLT

Can't name names, or give you my sources, but I can tell you there were choreographed dance moves involved.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Having seen the silhouette on the right again it looks more like Aguero than his actual statue.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
What legal reasons? This isn't a police investigation or an ongoing court case.

The blacked out images are because The Sun don't know who was fighting. Choosing Maguire for one of the blacked out images was the journalistic equivalent of throwing chum into shark infested waters.
legal reason: if it turns out there was no scrap, they could be sued. not identifying the players lessens any chance

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Can't name names, or give you my sources, but I can tell you there were choreographed dance moves involved.
I take it you've just returned from the Jamaican Delegation's Spring Ball.

Dante

Average bang
legal reason: if it turns out there was no scrap, they could be sued. not identifying the players lessens any chance
Newspapers lie all the time without getting sued. Legal action only comes into play if the story affects the accused person materially. Which this story wouldn't. Especially since training ground fights happen all the time. And if The Sun had a source, all they need to do is add the word 'allegedly'.

They don't know shit. But they do know that the internet is full of people desperate to hate on United. It's an easy article for them.

Mmm-Qatarian

For them to be successfully sued for the story, the players in question would have to prove beyond reasonable doubt that no altercation took place. Even if it transpired that the "shocking scrap" was, in fact, only a minor argument their case would likely be thrown out.

The potential for serious legal ramifications for The Sun here is practically non-existent; if they knew who was involved in this fight I have no doubt they'd reveal it, and especially so if they knew it was one of the easy targets like Maguire.

Maticmaker

Noel Cantwell was the 'boss', Captain on and off the pitch, an elegant player and a real gent when not competing, but made Keane look like a choir boy, when he did.

Was known to have a good left hook and was often referred to as 'the man' a real leader, and "everybody knew their place with him" according to Denis Law quote.

(for those too young, Noel was captain of 1963 Cup Winning team, first trophy Busby won after Munich and led the team that won the 1966-67 League Championship)

Smithy89

Wouldn't mind seen most of them lot get chinned, most fight they've showed all season.

Coleyoscar

Fights aren't as uncommon as you think, even in our best years there were scraps in training.
Dead right. Not a good image but a training scrap isn't necessarily indicative of a problem in the squad. The leaking of the story is a worry however.

I'm hoping the summer clear out and the arrival of Ten Hag will offer fewer opportunities for the United haters in the media. (We can but hope...)

Chripper

Really nothing to see hear. Happens everyday.

The "Man United's season hits new low" is cute, though.

Quagmire Maguire

This is a none story, fights happen in training at all clubs. The news getting out is more of an issue than any actual 'fight'.

This squad is obviously toxic though and a large part of that toxicity will be gone in a few short weeks.

Bestofthebest

Whilst these things happen quite often in football it is always magnified if Utd are involved. I take this with a large pinch of salt until more substantial evidence is provided.
As for the stories about players drinking, in the old days this was also not just Utd players. I did use to frequent a pub in Sale and often saw Paddy Crerrand , Denis Law and several other players in there. Also saw Georgie boy on a night out with Mike Summerbee once, so it was not an unusual in those days and as already stated there were no mobiles or social media then.

Oranges038

It's The Sun.

So, I'd imagine it went something like this.

"Pass the fcuking ball quicker"

"Fcuk off"

"No, you fcuk off"

Stupid headline a load of spin and words like believed and witness and sources close to and insider etc. etc. and you have a sun story
Also, quite clear from the silhouettes who they want it to be seen as.