20/20 Hindsight - Europa League

Jericholyte2

Now I know I’ll probably get destroyed for this, but I was one of those arguing that Ole should use the kids for the Europa League after the CL was guaranteed, knowing the way the 20/21 season was setting up.

I really think this was a massive mistake by Ole and will bite use this season. Instead of giving the 1st team a genuine break from football they had competitive games well into August, only a few weeks off and then one ‘pre-season’ game before back to the rigours of the Premier League.

Because if this I think this entire season is really going to be a long slog for us. I would argue this season we should completely write-off the domestic cups and fully concentrate on top 4 which I think will be VERY difficult for us in this state and to try and make some kind of splash in the CL.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Now I know I’ll probably get destroyed for this, but I was one of those arguing that Ole should use the kids for the Europa League after the CL was guaranteed, knowing the way the 20/21 season was setting up.

I really think this was a massive mistake by Ole and will bite use this season. Instead of giving the 1st team a genuine break from football they had competitive games well into August, only a few weeks off and then one ‘pre-season’ game before back to the rigours of the Premier League.

Because if this I think this entire season is really going to be a long slog for us. I would argue this season we should completely write-off the domestic cups and fully concentrate on top 4 which I think will be VERY difficult for us in this state and to try and make some kind of splash in the CL.
I'll share the kicking with you I thought the same thing at the time.

Rajma

It was pretty obvious back then, fans can be forgiven of course for getting caught up emotionally (because silverware) but our staff should have know much better considering our squad depth. I’ve been vocal about binning this cup sharpish given the circumstances.

By the way, completely agree on the domestic cups...Should be mix of youth/squad players all the way this season...

United58

Agree with this, with our (lack of) depth we're in serious trouble once the games start piling on. We finished last season badly and went into this one exhausted already

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Nah balls to that, it was a competition we should have won and with Liverpool collecting trophies for fun at the moment we need to start winning silverware again pronto

Crashoutcassius

we were close to winning it, a bit of a miracle saved seville and inter looked rubbish in the final. we'd be happy today if we had of gone on to win it for the sake of 2 extra games and 2 weeks

Tiber

The only good thing about the Europa League is the champions league place it offers

we were close to winning it, a bit of a miracle saved seville and inter looked rubbish in the final. we'd be happy today if we had of gone on to win it for the sake of 2 extra games and 2 weeks
Indeed.

You found say that unless you win a trophy, then you might as well have lost in the first round in hindsight.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Nah balls to that, it was a competition we should have won and with Liverpool collecting trophies for fun at the moment we need to start winning silverware again pronto
Collecting trophies for fun? They’ve won 2 trophies in 9 years.

Rajma

They collecting major trophies because of the smart management by Klopp, he realised how dependent they were on their first 11 and binned all the domestic cups by playing teenagers we on the other hand...Sometimes you need to be realistic around the whole situation unless you are ManCity.

Amarsdd

Not a mistake, but a calculated risk that, unfortunately for us, didn't work out. Nothing more than that really.

charlenefan

They collecting major trophies because of the smart management by Klopp, he realised how dependent they were on their first 11 and binned all the domestic cups by playing teenagers we on the other hand...Sometimes you need to be realistic around the whole situation unless you are ManCity.
Liverpool's team is good enough to win the league though, ours isn't. So if we bin off the lesser competitions we're effectively binning off winning a trophy

charlenefan

CWC fair point but the super cup is just a glorified charity shield.
Well it depends on which table you check but you can guarantee the scousers are counting it as a major honour

Amarsdd

Its a bit different really resting your team for smaller cups in the middle of the season vs a pretty good cup in a tournament after the league has ended. Liverpool won't have rested their team if they were in the CL (even the EL) at the end of last season just so they might start better this season.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
We were 3 games away from winning Euto trophy. I hate this kind of thinking which are common last few years. Who needs FA cup, who needs league cup, who needs Europa league....
It is like we are winning few trophies every year so we can ditch one or two. Rubbish.

Untd55

It was the right thing to go for the Europa League.

This has absolutely no impact on our season; time to put this excuse to bed. They have had a month of rest and we have heard nothing about the players being injured.

They would have recovered physically by now. If they haven't recovered mentally then they are weak.