20/21 Youth Intake thread

trajbu

Most probably the U18s squad will be composed of ...

Goalkeepers:
Dermot Mee
Johan Guadgno
Ondrej Mastny
(New signing Radek Vitek possibly as the season progresses)

Defenders:
William Fish
Calen Gallagher-Allison
Harvey Neville
Iestyn Hughes
Bjorn Hardley
Owen Dodgson
(New signing Marc Juardo)

Midfielders:
Charlie Savage
Charlie Wellens
Martin Svidersky
Max Haygarth
Zidane Iqbal

Forwards:
Mateo Mejia
Noam Emeran
Shola Shoretire
Omari Forson
Deji Sotana
(New signing Joe Hugill)

Promising 15 year olds Manni Norkett, Daniel Kavanagh and Isak Hansen could make the odd appearance as the season progresses.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
+ Polakowski, Murray, Bennetts, Aaroen and Pye (if we have signed him).

I expect Neville will play more for the U23 team because we have Jurado & Hughes for the U18's and Laird gets hopefully a loan move.

Hoof the ball

While it remains very early in their respective careers, these players - led by the very gifted Zidane Iqbal - have a real chance of developing into a 'golden generation' for the club.

Utdstar01

Are there any good Irish players in the underage setup currently. Sotana sounded unsettled the last Id read and Odubeko went to West Ham?
Sotona wouldn't be a huge loss imho. Don't think he's good enough.

jb8521

@khoazany @jb8521
Any idea what's gonna be the squad for u18s next season?
As of now it's looking like
Mee, Guadagno, Polakowski & Vitek
Hughes, Jurado, Bennett, Gallagher- Allison, Fish, Hardley, Pye, Dodgson
Svidersky, Iqbal, Wellens, Savage, Forson, Shoretire, Mejbri, Hansen-Aaroen
Sotona, Emeran, Hoogewerf, Mejia, Hugill

I'd expect there will probably be another 2/3 signings as well & would expect to see some of the u16s like Murray, Mather & Kavanagh feature at times as well

Utdstar01

You sure, he's the closest we've got to a 'natural' winger at the club, at any level, and he's got pace to burn.
I mean from what I've seen he's extremely raw, he can make some very strange decisions. Pace aside, I don't really know what his strengths are. Obviously I hope he kicks on next year and proves me wrong.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
I mean from what I've seen he's extremely raw, he can make some very strange decisions. Pace aside, I don't really know what his strengths are. Obviously I hope he kicks on next year and proves me wrong.
He might be raw, but he's obviously been allowed to just go out there and express himself as all the kids are, sometimes he'll make a mess of it whilst other times he'll look unplayable, and i'd rather that than the over-coached kids that most clubs are producing nowadays - if he stays at the club and moves up to the 23s then he'll need moulding as a team-player and to learn the do's and don't.

His strengths, he loves taking on and beating his opponent, then the next one, and in tights areas as well, and despite being officially the quickest player at the club he rarely needs to use it to do just that.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
As of now it's looking like
Mee, Guadagno, Polakowski & Vitek
Hughes, Jurado, Bennett, Gallagher- Allison, Fish, Hardley, Pye, Dodgson
Svidersky, Iqbal, Wellens, Savage, Forson, Shoretire, Mejbri, Hansen-Aaroen
Sotona, Emeran, Hoogewerf, Mejia, Hugill

I'd expect there will probably be another 2/3 signings as well & would expect to see some of the u16s like Murray, Mather & Kavanagh feature at times as well
Sotona hasn't signed a new contract yet right? Anyway, that's a big ass U18 squad. That's 25 members you've listed there without the u16 and new signings!
Possible promotons for Fish, Mejbri, and Hoogewerf to u23?

KevinJoh

Sotona hasn't signed a new contract yet right? Anyway, that's a big ass U18 squad. That's 25 members you've listed there without the u16 and new signings!
I guess it depends a lot on what will happen with U23 players. Some are already released, and I guess some will be loaned. Fish will probably be in U23, especially if Bernard leave on loan (as well as Taylor) which is expected. Not sure about Mengi, as I guess he will be around as first team backup. Also, Ramazani leaving, and Mellor possible loan, that leaves us without anyone in his position. Hoogewerf already played for U23, so I guess he will be included more there, while Mejia and Emeran will need games in U18 after injury. Wellens also, definitely will play for U23 as well, Iqbal and Svidersky. Mejbri won't play for U18 at all, bar youth cup

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
I guess it depends a lot on what will happen with U23 players. Some are already released, and I guess some will be loaned. Fish will probably be in U23, especially if Bernard leave on loan (as well as Taylor) which is expected. Not sure about Mengi, as I guess he will be around as first team backup. Also, Ramazani leaving, and Mellor possible loan, that leaves us without anyone in his position. Hoogewerf already played for U23, so I guess he will be included more there, while Mejia and Emeran will need games in U18 after injury. Wellens also, definitely will play for U23 as well, Iqbal and Svidersky. Mejbri won't play for U18 at all, bar youth cup
Iqbal isn't even a regular in u18. I'm not sure if he'll be playing games for u23 right now.

Mr. P.

Iqbal isn't even a regular in u18. I'm not sure if he'll be playing games for u23 right now.
I watch all u 18 games and Iqbal was injured and only played in the most recent games From what I saw he looked quite promising. There were quite a few major injuries for players Never even saw Noam Emeran so just because he didn’t play much doesn’t mean he won’t be playing next season in u 18.

jb8521

He's on the retained list so I'd say he has another year on his contract. I'd expect quite a few of the u23s to leave on loan & we always seem to have a fair few injuries so there should be plenty of games for everyone apart from the keepers. I'd expect Mejbri to start the season with the u23s & the likes of Hoogewerf, Hugill, Sotona & Emeran will all probably get plenty of games for the u23s. I'd say Fish will probably play some games for both teams because we have Mengi, Ercolani, Bernard, Bejger, Hockenhull & Denham for CB so will depend on who gets loaned out but he will probably captain the u18s.

lenny_1248

You sure, he's the closest we've got to a 'natural' winger at the club, at any level, and he's got pace to burn.
Elanga is far better and he is winger.
What does he has except his pace to be the most natural winger at the club? Absolute nonsense. He is as one dimensional as a player can be, the difference between him and even Elanga in technique and skills is enormous, nevermind the players from first team.

Last edited:

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Elanga is far better and he is winger.
What does he has except his pace to be the most natural winger at the club? Absolute nonsense. He is as one dimensional as a player can be, the difference between him and even Elanga in technique and skills is enormous, nevermind the players from first team.
Elanga is a far superior player but is he a winger, or a wide-forward?

Prodigal7

I remember watching Mason Greenwood and Max Haygarth running the show at the Milk cup a while back and though Mason had a little more edge to his game I thought Haygarth was in the same class. Constant injuries for Haygarth I understand, how's he doing in the U18s?

lenny_1248

I remember watching Mason Greenwood and Max Haygarth running the show at the Milk cup a while back and though Mason had a little more edge to his game I thought Haygarth was in the same class. Constant injuries for Haygarth I understand, how's he doing in the U18s?
Played only 3 games I believe. So, hard to judge his game. Hopefully, next season he will play more and overcome his injury issues. Though, he missed a lot of crucial time for his development during these years.

Hester_manc

I am sorry, if this if not the right place for this post, but I could not find a perfect thread for this feature. You probably don't understand Danish, but the clip shows a 16-year-old Danish player, Jeppe Kjær. He already plays in the best Danish league. Notice how he can make a tame into a dribble in the same motion
and can put a masked pass between 3 opponents. He has everything to be huge.
https://www.tv3sport.dk/sport/fodbo...er-16-arigt-stortalent-efter-laudrupsk-assist

Last edited:

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Has anyone seen much of Shola Shoretire? I remember hearing he looks extremely promising.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I am sorry, if this if not the right place for this post, but I could not find a perfect thread for this feature. You probably don't understand Danish, but the clip shows a 16-year-old Danish player, Jeppe Kjær. He already plays in the best Danish league. Notice how he can make a tame into a dribble in the same motion
and can put a masked pass between 3 opponents. He has everything to be huge.
https://www.tv3sport.dk/sport/fodbo...er-16-arigt-stortalent-efter-laudrupsk-assist
Unless there's some sort of link to United then yes you're in the wrong place. I did try to watch the video though and it says it's not available in the UK.

Varun1

Unless there's some sort of link to United then yes you're in the wrong place. I did try to watch the video though and it says it's not available in the UK.
Agree that he's probably in the wrong place but I find these youth scouting really interesting. Half of the time it reads like someone has copied a list from FM but not posts like these ones.
I can't view it either , from the UK.

lenny_1248

Has anyone seen much of Shola Shoretire? I remember hearing he looks extremely promising.
He played a lot in U-18 including all FA Youth cup games. So, I guess a lot of people saw him on a frequent basis.
And yes, he's good. Most importantly, he made a significant progress during the season being only 15 for the majority of it.

Reactions: Solius

khoazany

I think the core starting XI will be

Mee
Hughes/Jurado - Fish - Hardley/Gallagher - Pye/Dodgson
Svidersky - Aaoren/Savaga - Iqbal/Forson
Wellens/Forson - Sotona/Mejia - Shoretire/Emeran

Probably Fish will move up to the 23s at some points. I think Hoogewerf will play for the U23s mainly cause frankly that frontline for U18s is really stack and the U23s will lack some numbers after Ramazani's departure, Chong's probably not playing at that level again and I think we might loan Mellor out, too. If the likes of Shoretire, Sotona, Wellens etc did well enough to get pushed to the U23s at some point then we might see Hugill, or Kavanagh/Mather from the U16s.

Expect Fish, Shoretire, Hardley, Aaoren to emerge as key players of this team and hopefully we'll see Sotona, Svidersky, Forson etc gearing up a level or two and Mejia/Emeran to get back to their best post-injury.

lenny_1248

I think the core starting XI will be

Mee
Hughes/Jurado - Fish - Hardley/Gallagher - Pye/Dodgson
Svidersky - Aaoren/Savaga - Iqbal/Forson
Wellens/Forson - Sotona/Mejia - Shoretire/Emeran
Exciting team. Especially considering we have not even seen Mejia and Emeran bc of injuries.
Is Sotona staying by the way? There were rumours he might leave the club.

lenny_1248

@khoazany
How do you expect U-23 look like? Considering Garner/Levitt/Kovar will go to loan, Laird will be promoted to the first team, etc.

khoazany

@khoazany
How do you expect U-23 look like? Considering Garner/Levitt/Kovar will go to loan, Laird will be promoted to the first team, etc.
Something like

Bishop
Puigmal/Bejger - Mengi - Bernard/Hockenhull/Fish - Devine
McCann - Mejbri - Helm
Traore/Stanley/Haygarth - Mellor/Hoogewerf - Elanga

I think there are rooms for Sotona/Shoretire/Wellens to move up at some point.

dablem_10

I have not much overview about our youngsters, but i would like to know how Svidersky is doing. Is he ny good? I dont mean he would be united first team quality, just if he has qualityto make it to u23 team? Im bit sad my other countrymen Fojticel was released, but yeah, he is already 20, and kovar or vitek are much better. Dont think he is even slovak league bottom team quality, but its always harder for keepers to make it

Mickson

I have not much overview about our youngsters, but i would like to know how Svidersky is doing. Is he ny good? I dont mean he would be united first team quality, just if he has qualityto make it to u23 team? Im bit sad my other countrymen Fojticel was released, but yeah, he is already 20, and kovar or vitek are much better. Dont think he is even slovak league bottom team quality, but its always harder for keepers to make it
Yeah, he should definitely make it to the U23 eventually (it's not that hard though...) how good he is we don't know yet, he has played too little to draw any big conclusion. He was a decent back up this season and always did his job well. Should get more playing time next season.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
Laird, Ercolani, Emeran, Mejia, Svidersky, Hughes & Haygarth haven't played much football in the last year because of injuries and now because of the coronavirus too therefore i really wish all the best to them for the upcoming season.

lenny_1248

Something like

Bishop
McCann - Mejbri - Helm

thanks

Mickson

Something like

Bishop
McCann - Mejbri - Helm

Another year with Bejger and Puigmal at RB? Zzzzz.

dutchred

I'm really looking forward to see how Devine progresses this year. I think he is better left back than Williams and is left footed.