2011 Women's World Cup

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
Ridiculous over-exaggeration from a highly sexist pre-determined view.

Yes, it's nowhere near the same level (mainly because girls aren't brought up to train anywhere near the level boys are, and then later women have nothing like the training abilities available to them, or the enormous amount of money pumped into it to improve training), but it's not that bad.

I've been impressed by plenty of female footballers in the past, some of them aren't half bad, and you know it.
Fact is, if it was given more exposure, more money, if girls were encouraged to pursue football to the same amount and level as boys, the quality would go way, way up.

Our school didn't even have a girls football team until Year 10, whereas boys had one from Year 3.

The reason the quality is not the same level is because so many people neglect it and push it to the sides - with a bit more exposure and some assistance, we could see some pretty good women's teams.
What about the gulf between men & women's tennis?

There have been rumblings at Wimbledon about the parity in prize money because the women's game isn't as good...

alastair

ignorant
I'm all for equal pay in tennis to be honest. I think it's harsh on women that they're deemed not fit enough to play five sets - Serena and Venus would still be battering it about after ten sets.

phelans shorts

I'm all for equal pay in tennis to be honest. I think it's harsh on women that they're deemed not fit enough to play five sets - Serena and Venus would still be battering it about after ten sets.
Well the equal pay in tennis is actually weighted in the females favour as they can play doubles due to the shorts games.

Don't get me started on them two though.

Dyslexic Untied

I remember when I was about 14, and the local team I was playing in beat one of the best female teams in Norway 16-0 in a friendly.

The gulf in quality between men's and women's football is extremely large. I reckon it is larger than any other high profile sports. And since most football interested men have played football themselves, many will be better than the best female players and teams. Thus making it pretty uinteresting TV.

surf

David James on female football: Women's football has improved hugely over the years but it lacks exposure | Football | The Observer

Not all that interesting or insightful, but nice to see that not everyone is a sexist, prejudiced neanderthal.
Don't know if "exposure" is the best choice of word here. Unless he is tacitly expressing approval for Blatter's ideas on the subject.

Anyway, I hope this tournament does not keep Copa America off the TV schedules. The time difference between Argentina and Germany might help.

Laphroaig

If quality is that important, why the feck would anyone watch football that doesn't involde the PL or (two best teams in) La Liga? I'm watching Viking - Rosenborg at the moment, and the gulf in class between them and United is pretty huge.

Dyslexic Untied

If quality is that important, why the feck would anyone watch football that doesn't involde the PL or (two best teams in) La Liga? I'm watching Viking - Rosenborg at the moment, and the gulf in class between them and United is pretty huge.
Though I agree entirely with the idea that football is more enjoyable the better the quality, the difference between watching RBK-VIiking and the Womens World Cup is that in the former match everyone will be better than you have ever been. In the latter that is not so.

Twisted_Woody

Scout
The point I'm making is that women athletes dress like women athletes different clothes and stuff. Same with women tennis players etc You're in no doubt you are watching women playing the sport. Even with stuff like showjumping, although they dress in a similar fashion, you know whether you are watching a man or a woman on a horse.

They shouldn't be ashamed of being women such that they need to dress & look like men to play the sport, its the same with women's cricket.

I'm not debating the standard of play, just the fact they they don't differentiate themselves, almost like they don't want to be seen as women.

I'm not criticising them as sports women or the legitimacy of the competition.

Does this make any sense?
I get what you are saying now. I still don't agree. Who care what they wear. Its a game that requires shorts and a T-shirt ffs. I don't feel the need to sexualize women at every turn.

Are you sure? In women's football, 50 yard lobs are scored in seemingly every game because the keeping ability is so bad. For obvious reasons, chesting the ball down is off limits too. It's dire.
Germany play quite well. Did you see some of the saves the Canadian goal keeper made? It still isn't VDS level but you can hardly call it dire.

Fact is, if it was given more exposure, more money, if girls were encouraged to pursue football to the same amount and level as boys, the quality would go way, way up.

Our school didn't even have a girls football team until Year 10, whereas boys had one from Year 3.

The reason the quality is not the same level is because so many people neglect it and push it to the sides - with a bit more exposure and some assistance, we could see some pretty good women's teams.

I'm not saying it would get to the same level as men's football, I know it won't, but it would get a heck of a lot better.
This is why the USA, Canada, Germany and China have such good sides in the Women's game.

Also, a general comment to everyone: it is nice to watch players not dive, fall, whine and cry all the time. Today Christine Sinclair took an elbow to the face and was screaming to get back on the field. If that was in the mens game he'd most likely have rolled around, screamed, cried, delayed the game by requesting a stretcher, and then become magically cured.

Don't slag off the Women's game when they play with more heart than most of the men I watch.

Twisted_Woody

Scout
Though I agree entirely with the idea that football is more enjoyable the better the quality, the difference between watching RBK-VIiking and the Womens World Cup is that in the former match everyone will be better than you have ever been. In the latter that is not so.
Way to generalize every player at the tournament...

I saw plenty of amateur cock ups today. I also saw plenty of skill.

Laphroaig

Also, a general comment to everyone: it is nice to watch players not dive, fall, whine and cry all the time. Today Christine Sinclair took an elbow to the face and was screaming to get back on the field. If that was in the mens game he'd most likely have rolled around, screamed, cried, delayed the game by requesting a stretcher, and then become magically cured.

Don't slag off the Women's game when they play with more heart than most of the men I watch.
Good point, and part of the reason why I much rather watch the Norwegian league than the Spanish.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
To be honest it`s just true.

This says everything........
The U 15 team of Osnabruck (3.Bundesliga) have played 1-1 against the german women`s nationalteam in a friendly.
The U 15 of FC Cologne have beaten 3-1 the german women`s nationalteam in a friendly.
...................................i´m not sure a Redcafe team would beat San Marino but we could win the women`s World Cup. :)
Of course males are going to beat womens teams, thats a no brainer.
Last year I looked after a local under 15 boys rep side for 2 games against New Zealands Under 17 world cup side in training games and the boys won. They won because even at 13 and 14 they were faster and stronger with sharper reactions to the girls. Technically the girls were as good as the boys and to give you an idea, one of the boys is right now at the under 17 world cup playing for NZ.

One of the girls in the NZ under 17 side was a girl I had coached since she was 7. She played in a boys team for me till she was 14 at which point she was only just beginning to struggle with the physical advantages of the boys. She was our best player, our captain and controlled the game for us from central midfield. All the boys in the team respected her because she could really play. The team played in the top division for its age in the biggest city in NZ and we came runner up a couple of years running in that division.

None of the boys she played with or against have the attitudes to girls and womens football that we see in football forums simply because they know just how good the best girls really are and also just how hard they train and how dedicated they are.

I guess the people who slag off girls/womens football or compare it to the male side of the game are those who have never had any contact with the female side of the game, never coached it, never played with or against female players, dont have sisters or female friends who play at a high level etc etc etc. What the ignorant will do is make comparisons that are simply moronic.

Ive coached at every level in NZ apart from internationals and Ive coached, boys and girls, men and women in our top leagues for both sexes respectively.
Womens and girls football for those involved is very rewarding and all the things people enjoy about the males side of the game are evident in the female side of the game just at a slower pace.

I watch Premier div football every weekend during the season, used to go to OL to watch Utd, love the Champions league and world cups. I also happily go and watch my local club in our local amateur league here in NZ. The difference between the English Prem and our local club league is just massive but the local club league for me is worth watching. Its worth watching because I know the quality is much lower and dont let it bother me, you see some good and bad football but its still football, its live not on tv and its my local scene.

Its a case of perspective and people who just slag off womens football using the excuse that its rubbish compared to the male game completely miss the point of football.

You think a Red Cafe side could beat a World Cup womens team?. Maybe but it would only be because men are simply physically stronger and faster, it wouldnt be because of a difference in skill level or playing intelligence. Go check out Marta on you tube.

Its pointless to try and compare the two, they are two different games in some respects.

Dyslexic Untied

Way to generalize every player at the tournament...

I saw plenty of amateur cock ups today. I also saw plenty of skill.
Read my post again. In the one match, everyone is better than me. In the Womens World Cup that isn't so. I'm not saying no one is better, I'm just saying that there are some that aren't.

MG

What about the gulf between men & women's tennis?

There have been rumblings at Wimbledon about the parity in prize money because the women's game isn't as good...
Well, again, it's for similar reasons. Girls aren't encouraged to do it as much from an early age, and aren't given the same training.

I personally think plenty of women would be perfectly capable of doing the same amount of sets as the men do in tennis anyway, the Williams sisters would very easily be able to do it.

Mick1991

In tennis? Where I'm from girls are encouraged to do it more than fellas. I would imagine the playing field in tennis is pretty even.

MG

In tennis? Where I'm from girls are encouraged to do it more than fellas. I would imagine the playing field in tennis is pretty even.
It isn't. Girls aren't encouraged more than boys in any sport nationwide apart from Netball really. And possibly rounders.

Or, at least, not given the same training.

Stack

Well, again, it's for similar reasons. Girls aren't encouraged to do it as much from an early age, and aren't given the same training.

I personally think plenty of women would be perfectly capable of doing the same amount of sets as the men do in tennis anyway, the Williams sisters would very easily be able to do it.

Quality of training for girls is just as good as the boys these days. You need to go have a good look at whats happening at your local clubs. The numbers are taking off.

MG

Quality of training for girls is just as good as the boys these days. You need to go have a good look at whats happening at your local clubs. The numbers are taking off.
It's getting better but it's nowhere near the quality provided for boys, especially with regards to football. There are very few professional female footballers, most of them have day jobs because they're just not encouraged to take it up full-time or pursue it single-mindedly in the same way as boys are, and boys are from a young age.

Mick1991

It isn't. Girls aren't encouraged more than boys in any sport nationwide apart from Netball really. And possibly rounders.

Or, at least, not given the same training.
Nobody encourages a lad to go play football or tennis or any other sport, the same goes for girls, they generally have an interest and go off and play. (although in the case of football I would imagine it would be a little harder but not as much as you seem to think). I would imagine that a rough and tumble sport like football just holds that bit more allure to fella's?

I just don't see the divide that you seem to see at a normal level. (Not national or anything like that but just boys and girls wanting to play a sport in a local area). I watch women's football as I have mentioned and enjoy it, the gap at such a high level is certainly there on that I don't disagree but your stance on girls who want to play sport is a little off in my opinion.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
I get what you are saying now. I still don't agree. Who care what they wear. Its a game that requires shorts and a T-shirt ffs. I don't feel the need to sexualize women at every turn.
Who said anything about sexulalising women? I'm merely talking about differentiating men & women.

And it was you who posted the link to the Playboy shoot, which is surely sexualising...

How is shorts and a shirt "looking like a man"? :houllier:
I refer you to the pic in my previous post, I honestly had to look several times & check the copy under the photo to confirm that it was infact the women's side & not the men's...

Mick1991

There playing a sport Colin, not heading out to the club! I could show you a nice German playboy shoot of some female footballers that would change your opinion.

Anyway, if this is about looks then the men's game can't really go on bragging too much either.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
You've missed the point entirely, I'm just talking about women looking like women, its a simple as that.

Why is everyone trying to twist every point that I make round to be something completely different?

And the Playboy shoot has already been posted...:drool:

Twisted_Woody

Scout
You've missed the point entirely, I'm just talking about women looking like women, its a simple as that.

Why is everyone trying to twist every point that I make round to be something completely different?

And the Playboy shoot has already been posted...:drool:
Define 'look like women'.

United87

I had this argument with two female friends, I said kind of off the cuff that the best female player in the world, Martha or whoever, wouldn't make it in division 2 in England. Obviously being women they got offended and uppity. The more I thought about it the more I thought my opinion was probably right, division 2 is quite a high standard and females just aren't as strong or as fast as males.

Now I'm starting to doubt myself again, could Marta make it in Division two?

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
They've improved quite a lot particularly fitness wise but no woman's five-a-side team could have won the game I saw my 17-year-old son playing in the local league this afternoon.
Nope. Iceland is ranked at 16th best women's national team in the world but they still can't beat a team of 16-18 years old dudes in an Icelandic team. And that's a team which statistically has about 5-12 players that will continue to play semi-pro football.

Mick1991

I'd imagine five aside would even up the playing field a bit, not saying they'd win but less emphasis on speed and power would help a bit.

kf

I had this argument with two female friends, I said kind of off the cuff that the best female player in the world, Martha or whoever, wouldn't make it in division 2 in England. Obviously being women they got offended and uppity. The more I thought about it the more I thought my opinion was probably right, division 2 is quite a high standard and females just aren't as strong or as fast as males.

Now I'm starting to doubt myself again, could Marta make it in Division two?
No mate, not a chance. Someone posted above that a top women's side would be Blue Square Premier standard but they just wouldn't.

It's fine for women to play football and enjoy it but it's stupid to compare it to the men's game. Boys teams beat international women's teams. Probably the best boy sprinters might beat the top women sprinters? Don't really know about that one...

For me, the women's world cup isn't a good investment of my time. It's just not the same, the standard is so poor.. .all over the pitch and especially the goalkeeping. Sorry but it's just a fact.

Stack

It's getting better but it's nowhere near the quality provided for boys, especially with regards to football. There are very few professional female footballers, most of them have day jobs because they're just not encouraged to take it up full-time or pursue it single-mindedly in the same way as boys are, and boys are from a young age.
You are completely and utterly wrong about the quality of coaching of girls football.
I am halfway through my UEFA B licence and I coach both boys and girls and the coaching styles for the two differ slightly but the content is the same. I coach with a big bunch of coaches at rep level and all of the coaches there are very well qualified. At club level as always the best coaches end up working with the best squads in a club, again on the girls side the best girls teams in a club in the top divisions all have top coaches. The quality of coaching of girls from the age of 5 all the way through is as good as the coaching of boys.
Right now, today in fact I am going to shoot some video footage of a 17 year old girl at her school game so she can use it to apply to either a college in the US or a University in Australia. This particular girl wants to make a profession out of football, if she cant do it on the playing side she wants to be involved on the coaching sides. She is already a qualified Coerver coach. Another girl I coached who wasnt a great player but loves the sport has taken up coaching as a career path and she is just 18. Right now she works for a "sports for kids" program fulltime, not paid very well but its her first job and its in football.
I know others just like her and Im in little New Zealand, a non football country.

What the majority of forum junkies are missing is real life experience of whats going on with girls/womens football. Its on a huge growth curve which is great for everyone involved.