2011 Women's World Cup

Sonny Feehan

That's just a load of bollocks, it's easily up there with league 2/Blue Square games.
Sorry mate. Just not true and my daughter played for Fulham. Best to enjoy Women's soccer as you would enjoy women's tennis or golf. On it's own merits and within it's own physical limitations.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
They've improved quite a lot particularly fitness wise but no woman's five-a-side team could have won the game I saw my 17-year-old son playing in the local league this afternoon.
Nobody involved in playing or coaching ever expects girls to compete with boys. Boys are stronger and faster, especially once they hit 13-14. thats why leagues all around the world stop girls playing in boys teams from around the age of 14, give or take a year.

Stack

Sorry mate. Just not true and my daughter played for Fulham. Best to enjoy Women's soccer as you would enjoy women's tennis or golf. On it's own merits and within it's own physical limitations.
Thats the key right there, Best to enjoy womens football on its own merits within its own limits. Do that and its easy to enjoy.

Stack

The point I'm making is that women athletes dress like women athletes different clothes and stuff. Same with women tennis players etc You're in no doubt you are watching women playing the sport. Even with stuff like showjumping, although they dress in a similar fashion, you know whether you are watching a man or a woman on a horse.

They shouldn't be ashamed of being women such that they need to dress & look like men to play the sport, its the same with women's cricket.

I'm not debating the standard of play, just the fact they they don't differentiate themselves, almost like they don't want to be seen as women.

I'm not criticising them as sports women or the legitimacy of the competition.

Does this make any sense?
You do realize womens shirts and shorts in football uniforms have a womens cut to them? You do realize that football uniforms are the way they are because thats whats required design wise to be functional?
What on earth do you think women football players should wear?.

Women footballers do want to be seen as women but having your hair and make up done up for a game isnt practical. Most play with their hair up because its practical in a game, see them out of their football attire and its a different look. Your comments are just bizzarre.

Twisted_Woody

Scout
I might have a look. Who's your best players and what are England's hopes for the tournament?
I remember Canada used to spank England regularly. I'm guessing they have improved by leaps and bounds.

It'd be funny if England won the Women's World Cup before the men won the Men's World Cup again.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Canada's Christine Sinclair is a fooking warrior, apparently.

BERLIN—Her goal was brilliant, but Christine Sinclair’s highlight Sunday was a battle on the sidelines with her own medical staff as they tried to treat her broken nose.

Sinclair was struck in the face by a brushback elbow from German defender Babett Peter in the 48th minute of Sunday’s match. She crumpled to the ground, and was helped off the pitch by a pair of medics.

When she took her hands away from her face, it was clear that her nose was bent over nearly perpendicular to her face. As one doctor tried to tend her, Sinclair repeatedly brushed away his hands and screamed, “I want to play.”

Sinclair looked past the men at coach Carolina Morace. There appeared to be tears in her eyes.

“The doctor said to me, ‘Her nose is broken. She can’t play,’” said Morace afterward. “I asked him what she’d be risking. He said, ‘If she gets hit again in the face, it will be worse and maybe she’ll need surgery.’ But she looked at me and said, ‘Let me play.’”

Sinclair went back onto the field on an absolute tear.

A few minutes later, she collided heavily in mid-air with a German. Sinclair popped up, looked back at her opponent, who was looking worse for wear, and screamed, “Get up!”

“I looked at her — she takes the front post on corners — and I thought, ‘Oh my,’” said Canadian goalkeeper Erin MacLeod. “Her nose was like a big zig-zag. I said, ‘Do you really want to still be here?’ And she said, ‘Yeah, I got it.’ She’s tough. She wears the armband for a reason.”

In the 82nd minute, Sinclair scored a magnificent goal from a 25-yard free kick. The ball curled up and around the German wall, then dipped under the bar.

After the whistle, she joined her teammates in clapping the crowd. Only then would she submit to proper medical care. She was taken to a nearby hospital to have her nose realigned.

“It’s not the prettiest,” teammate Melissa Tancredi said afterward, grinning. Tancredi would know. She had her own nose broken by a kick in the face three years ago.

Coach Morace said the nose will not affect Sinclair’s next start against France on Thursday. She will likely play with a protective facemask.

The team was livid that Germany’s Peter was not penalized on the play.

“FIFA came to us and said very clearly that to use the elbow is a yellow or red card. The referee goes away like she was a faker,” Morace said tightly.

However, the incident raised her already lofty estimation of her biggest star to new heights.

“She’s fantastic. Not every player can do what she did,” Morace said. “That’s why she is a champion.”

Canada

Twisted_Woody

Scout

BERLIN—Her goal was brilliant, but Christine Sinclair’s highlight Sunday was a battle on the sidelines with her own medical staff as they tried to treat her broken nose.

Sinclair was struck in the face by a brushback elbow from German defender Babett Peter in the 48th minute of Sunday’s match. She crumpled to the ground, and was helped off the pitch by a pair of medics.

When she took her hands away from her face, it was clear that her nose was bent over nearly perpendicular to her face. As one doctor tried to tend her, Sinclair repeatedly brushed away his hands and screamed, “I want to play.”

Sinclair looked past the men at coach Carolina Morace. There appeared to be tears in her eyes.

“The doctor said to me, ‘Her nose is broken. She can’t play,’” said Morace afterward. “I asked him what she’d be risking. He said, ‘If she gets hit again in the face, it will be worse and maybe she’ll need surgery.’ But she looked at me and said, ‘Let me play.’”

A few minutes later, she collided heavily in mid-air with a German. Sinclair popped up, looked back at her opponent, who was looking worse for wear, and screamed, “Get up!”

“I looked at her — she takes the front post on corners — and I thought, ‘Oh my,’” said Canadian goalkeeper Erin MacLeod. “Her nose was like a big zig-zag. I said, ‘Do you really want to still be here?’ And she said, ‘Yeah, I got it.’ She’s tough. She wears the armband for a reason.”

In the 82nd minute, Sinclair scored a magnificent goal from a 25-yard free kick. The ball curled up and around the German wall, then dipped under the bar.

After the whistle, she joined her teammates in clapping the crowd. Only then would she submit to proper medical care. She was taken to a nearby hospital to have her nose realigned.

“It’s not the prettiest,” teammate Melissa Tancredi said afterward, grinning. Tancredi would know. She had her own nose broken by a kick in the face three years ago.

Coach Morace said the nose will not affect Sinclair’s next start against France on Thursday. She will likely play with a protective facemask.

“FIFA came to us and said very clearly that to use the elbow is a yellow or red card. The referee goes away like she was a faker,” Morace said tightly.

However, the incident raised her already lofty estimation of her biggest star to new heights.

“She’s fantastic. Not every player can do what she did,” Morace said. “That’s why she is a champion.”

Canada
I hope most of Spain are taking notes...

Laphroaig

Canada
Mia Hamm had a go at the men's game, saying there's a lot more drama queens there, but I couldn't find the article in English.

Mexico's goal was a rather nice strike:

Richter

Hairy big footed Swede
In fairness, I don't think any male really feels threatened by female football. The level is probably lower than any professional male league.
Many many years ago a boy under 15 team my friend played for had a friendly against the female Swedish national team that were top 5 in the world at the time. The boy team held back and still won with 17-0....

Stack

Many many years ago a boy under 15 team my friend played for had a friendly against the female Swedish national team that were top 5 in the world at the time. The boy team held back and still won with 17-0....
That wouldnt happen today. No chance in hell

Stack

I attended a couple of coaching clinics and seminars that Hope Powell was the key speaker and coach for a couple of years ago. She came across as a very determined woman and during a question and answer session she was asked what was the most important thing New Zealand needed to do in the womens game to improve. Her answer was fitness. Other answers to questions signaled to me that she still followed the worn out British attitudes to football which value guts, determination, physical prowess etc over technical ability.
England really need to beat NZ in a couple of days time but having watched the game against Mexico I cant see them winning the tournament. Hope Im wrong. ( although I do hope NZ pull off the unexpected and beat England)

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
That's bollocks. Female athletes are pretty fecking fast.
The British female record for 100m is 11.10. The boys under-15 record is 10.93. But that's the thing though, given the natural advantages men have, it simply isn't fair to compare. For example, nobody looked at Marion Jones sprinting down the track or Paula Radcliffe in the marathon and said "well she's pretty crap compared to men really".

davisjw

The British female record for 100m is 11.10. The boys under-15 record is 10.93. But that's the thing though, given the natural advantages men have, it simply isn't fair to compare. For example, nobody looked at Marion Jones sprinting down the track or Paula Radcliffe in the marathon and said "well she's pretty crap compared to men really".
The thing you have to compare is how many other men have gotten in between 11.10 and 10.93 - I would imagine a lot.

In sprinting, milliseconds are critical and usually the only difference. A second is a long ways off.

The women's game is slower and more about technical abilities than amazing dribbling. It's not crap football, just different, more relaxed.

forevrared

The North Korea coach has blamed their loss to the US on the fact that some of the Korean team was struck by lightning while training in North Korea and didn't get to join up with the team in time - coincidentally the goalkeeper and four defenders were most affected according to him.

Stack

The thing you have to compare is how many other men have gotten in between 11.10 and 10.93 - I would imagine a lot.

In sprinting, milliseconds are critical and usually the only difference. A second is a long ways off.

The women's game is slower and more about technical abilities than amazing dribbling. It's not crap football, just different, more relaxed.
You are nearly right. Its less about physical attributes and more about technical abilities yes but dribbling fast is a technical ability and the best women players are bloody good at it. We have a young international player here called Olivia Chance who at 17 can dribble past anyone or through anyone. She is good a dribbler as any boy I have ever seen and can beat a player with skill moves as well as boy I have seen. If i looked at our boys and girls international under 17 squads olivia would be the best dribbler technically out of the 2 squads.

Ballache

Supports
Martial
You are nearly right. Its less about physical attributes and more about technical abilities yes but dribbling fast is a technical ability and the best women players are bloody good at it. We have a young international player here called Olivia Chance who at 17 can dribble past anyone or through anyone. She is good a dribbler as any boy I have ever seen and can beat a player with skill moves as well as boy I have seen. If i looked at our boys and girls international under 17 squads olivia would be the best dribbler technically out of the 2 squads.
yes but can she do it on a cold night away to Stoke? i think not!

LLMU

which country offers a women professional football league ? without a proper league , don't think the game will grow far.

Stack

which country offers a women professional football league ? without a proper league , don't think the game will grow far.
The game on the women's side doesn't need a pro league to grow far. It's already grown massively with a basically amateur base. It's the fastest growing women's sport in the world. Girls at school love it and the growth at school level all over the world has been huge. 10 years ago the best girls had to play with boys teams to progress, we see girls making it to international level having learned the game in all girls teams and leagues.

LLMU

My point is where do they go from here once they finished school. To continue playing, they need a proper league.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
:houllier: In the Oz-Brazil match Brazil just wasted an amazing change. The woman took forever to turn and shoot.

forevrared

My point is where do they go from here once they finished school. To continue playing, they need a proper league.
It's essentially failed twice already in America, even with the biggest names in women's soccer I suppose. The league now is down to 6 teams last I heard and that was right after they'd gotten Marta to sign.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
The biggest problem is that the game isn't very entertaining. People won't go out of their way to attend games if the game isn't any good.