2014 in music

datura

Anyone listened to The Men's "Tomorrow's Hits"? I'm doing it right now and there's definitely some good stuff on it, even though it's pretty much classic rock, rock'n'roll, maybe a bit of country, or whatever you want to call it.
I quite like them, although I wasn't as sold on Tomorrow's Hits. They used to be really punky

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
I quite like them, although I wasn't as sold on Tomorrow's Hits. They used to be really punky

I enjoyed that. Cheers :)
It's quite different from the songs on "Tomorrow's Hits" I wonder how it'll work in concert.

datura

The Teleman album is finally out tomorrow, and also the the Hamilton Leithauser (walkmen lead singer). Really enjoying the Neil Young, kinda sounds like Neil doing Daniel Johnston it's so lo fi. The new Sharon Van Etten is fantastic.

Loublaze

ATLien
'Shriek' by Wye Oak is the best thing i've heard this year so far. And I also enjoyed the new Michael Jackson album 'Xscape' even thought the motivation behind its release is pure greed. It was good to hear some shelved songs from the Bad era. I've also enjoyed Atlas by Real Estate and St Vincent's St Vincent

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Been listening to the new albums by F**ked Up and The Pains of Being Pure at Heart at work today - completely contrasting styles of music, but both thoroughly enjoyable. Found F**ked Up's effort a little more immediate then some of their previous stuff - which I'd say is a good thing - and this new Pains album is an indie delight... they've got some girl doing guest vocals on a lot of the songs and they're the album highlights so far for me.

Maagge

I listened to Röyksopp & Robyn's latest collab the other day. I don't think the album will ever get on any "best of"-lists but the opening track is great.

Maagge

She's got an awesome voice

And some great lyrics 'I washed your dishes, but I shitted in your bathroom' :lol:
Yeah, I'm really enjoying her voice on "Taking Chances" just now.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Really like the new Sharon Van Etten stuff I've heard, lovely voice. Quality earlier stuff too, got into her and St Vincent off the back of their link to The National.

The new Pains of Being Pure At Heart disappointed me on the first few listens but I probably didn't give it a proper chance, I'll go back to it again. Listened to their first two albums to death, someone described them to me as a cross between Belle and Sebastian and Ash, which meant I was pretty much guaranteed to like them.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
New album by The Antlers! Loved Hospice and really liked Burst Apart too. This new one sounds less intense and immediate on the first few listens, very pretty music though...

Last edited:

Acole9

Outstanding
I know they're not everyone's cup of tea but I bought Linkin Park's new album on Monday. Anyone else on here a fan or has bought the album? I'd be interested to know what you think of it.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

Fairly well known now Radio 1 has started flogging it but likely to be one if the tracks of the summer.

Maagge

The new parquet courts lp is v good.

@Maagge

Dodging and Dodging is the tune though. Not on youtube. Feck you google.
For some reason I didn't get an alert here. But yeah, "Ducking & Dodging" is quite good. I had the album on in the car the other day. I think I liked "Light Up Gold" better, but I've only been through the new one one time.
Like this:

I just downloaded this to my phone today. Never heard anything from them before.

The latest from White Lung is basically the same song 10 times over.

datura

For some reason I didn't get an alert here. But yeah, "Ducking & Dodging" is quite good. I had the album on in the car the other day. I think I liked "Light Up Gold" better, but I've only been through the new one one time.
I think Light Up is more immediate, but this one is really growing on me and the later slower numbers are fantastic

Maagge

I think Light Up is more immediate, but this one is really growing on me and the later slower numbers are fantastic
I agree very much with the first part. It was immediately noticeable. If it grows on me is yet to be seen though.
@sullydnl I'd imagine "Familiars" is a grower as well. And as you said, it's got some very pretty tunes.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I agree very much with the first part. It was immediately noticeable. If it grows on me is yet to be seen though.
@sullydnl I'd imagine "Familiars" is a grower as well. And as you said, it's got some very pretty tunes.
Definitely. It's slow burning but Silberman's voice and lyrics are really gorgeous. I liked Burst Apart a lot but I get the feeling I'll come back to this album more.

Maagge

Definitely. It's slow burning but Silberman's voice and lyrics are really gorgeous. I liked Burst Apart a lot but I get the feeling I'll come back to this album more.
From the one time I've heard it so far it sounded like pretty much a straight continuation of "Burst Apart" (not a bad thing), it's been some time since I last listened to that, mind.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Great Divide by Twin Atlantic came out today. Already on my third listen. Brilliant album.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Like Atlas by Real Estate.

Cloud Nothing's new one here and nowhere else didn't excite me after listening to a couple of songs.

Heard a few songs of the fka twigs very highly rated album. Seemed interesting and different but possibly a bit overdone. Will listen to the whole thing properly.

Has anyone heard rosanne cash's album? Nothing groundbreaking but a simple and sweet little album.

Loublaze

ATLien
Like Atlas by Real Estate.

Cloud Nothing's new one here and nowhere else didn't excite me after listening to a couple of songs.

Heard a few songs of the fka twigs very highly rated album. Seemed interesting and different but possibly a bit overdone. Will listen to the whole thing properly.

Has anyone heard rosanne cash's album? Nothing groundbreaking but a simple and sweet little album.
One of my favs this year. Also liked Shriek by Wye Oak

Brown Toothpick

Supports
FC Barcelona
Just discovered this gem of a band called Augustines. Great music and a brilliant album this year from them, only their second. This song in particular stood out for me, but the album in whole is great.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Anyone listened to Julian Casablancas + The Voidz album? It's sick.

Maagge

Alright. Iceage have been awarded Best New Music by Pitchfork for the third time in a row. I thought I'd start listening to it. The new record seems pretty fecking good at first listen. Going through a second time now.

I went to one of their gigs a few years ago. 3 am at a festival. It was pretty intense. The earlier stuff was more punk though.

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
My top 5 in no order would probably be

Alt J - This is all yours
Royal Blood - Royal Blood
Kasabian - 48:13
Jack White - Lazaretto
The Black Keys - Turn Blue

Maagge

:lol: The Lord's Favourite is ridiculous (I'm still on about Iceage).

Duffy

Who needs races when you're racist?
Albums of the year so far for me are La Petite Mort by James and Carry On The Grudge by Jamie T.