2017 Pre Season | Barcelona vs Manchester United

Kostur

海尔的老板
Feck me. The absolute state of this thread.

I enjoyed the game. First half we played well. Second half, not so much. Am loving Pogba this pre-season. Absolute monster.
It's incredible how much more enjoyable games are when you don't visit the gamethreads during the game, I swear. I've popped up like twice today without even reading what people write and the game was very entertaining, the first half that is, the second one was gash but I genuinely couldn't care less.

It's the way to go next season to spare your nerves imo.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
It's incredible how much more enjoyable games are when you don't visit the gamethreads during the game, I swear. I've popped up like twice today without even reading what people write and the game was very entertaining, the first half that is, the second one was gash but I genuinely couldn't care less.

I never go near the thread during games. Literally a lunatic asylum. Sometimes pop in after to gauge the temperature. Always regret it.

Cooksen

The Millennium Falcao
Played decently in the first half not so much in the second but still its preseason and fitness and flow are more imporant then just results.

The kit we wore was horrible though and this game was hard to watch due to the kits.

Crashoutcassius

haha so true !

I never go into the thread on match day except at half time. If fellaini or lingard or playing I will probably never go in as it is two one dimensional. If fellaini or Lingard aren't playing then they are a bit more bearable, usually van gaal is blamed or else the team is praised for a plucky performance in light of x player being injured (can be literally anyone, from zlatan to shaw, was even rooney once)

Mihai

Barca looked pretty frightening with Pedro and old David Villa on the wings. It's the philosophy that is the hardest to tackle for the other teams.
Oh yes, let's forget that you had the best midfield of the modern era in Busquets, Xavi and Iniesta (all of them in their prime).

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Agree, there is such in depth analysis about philosphies and tactics as if it is all rocket science, when half the supposedly new tactics are just adaptionsof stuff from the 70s even. If philosphies were the be all and end all why are the likes of Guardiola spending a fortune to implement them...because it is about the players. 4-4-2 is out of date......hell our side is light years away from Fergies 4-4-2 because we have a few weak players in our side, for me so far I am not convinced it has been improved at all either with our two signings.
Agree to a large extent on the philosophy stuff. People on here point to Spurs as if we should be following their lead, getting more out of half decent players (although they still have a decent amount of positions with better players). We should be following Barca's lead by having a team full of players worth a bomb because of just how good they are, and get them playing well together.

Last edited:

Von Mistelroum

Just finished this game and obviously it was a friendly, but the gulf in class was very clear for anyone to see. It put me in mind of the old 'Harlem Globetrotters' exhibitions in the first half. Pogba, Bailly (mostly) and Rashford (to an extent) aside, our players looked like clumsy oafs chasing professional players.

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry
If we continue to play Fellaini and Carrick in midfield then we will be lucky to finish in the top 5, for me it is important we get a decent CDM which then allows Pogba and Herrera to concentrate in the right areas without having to do too much of the defence work.

Also, we desperately need a winger that can not only get pass a defender but put in decent crosses for Lukaku, someone like Perisic would be perfect.

Hamadovich86

May be you should. And this is comming from a die hard United Fan.
Maybe I should what? Be worried about Barca without MSN? Thats unnecessary because at least 2 of those three will still be there next season and would beat the snot out of us if we face them in the CL.

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry
Does anyone know if the squad will return to Manchester or go directly to Sweden from their base in LA?

prtk0811

Maybe I should what? Be worried about Barca without MSN? Thats unnecessary because at least 2 of those three will still be there next season and would beat the snot out of us if we face them in the CL.
No , About Philosophies.

prtk0811

and get them playing well together.
I often feel we lack supporting runs and inter link up play in the final third. We have to shoot from long distances and depend on individual quality of the player and the finish.

Hamadovich86

No , About Philosophies.
United has a clear club philosophy which is supposed to be based on youth, winning and entertaining. We dont have a football philosophy as such, under Mourinho its like "win, else dont lose" is our philosophy. Under LVG it was keep the ball but dont do anything else with it.

Barca have a consistent club philosophy based on which they bring in managers to implement this way of playing. Thats just one way of doing it and while it brought them success it may not work for United.

Ventura

What I gather from this thread: Any and all criticism is strictly illegal because "it was a pre-season game" and it doesn't matter how underwhelming we're looking.

I'm going to say though that we're looking like last season, which I guess is not surprising.

el3mel

@prtk0811

No, I am not. I Exactly know the difference between the two. And If you read closely i have mentioned about improvisation of Lvg style. Lvg was a double edged sword himself because he cut his own brilliant ideas with the rigid mechanical Style which was brainless at times because of being rigid but also had world class ideas and ability at the same time in his philosophy

Pep's made it more fluid and improvised on the ideas of lvg and just improved what was missing from the incomplete Lvg philosophy and made its more complete.The basic difference between the two is fluidity and penetration and better pressing off the ball. But The Core of the Philosophies remains exactly the same. Pep and barcelona bettered it via the micro analysis of Principles of attacking and defending and improvisation of what was missing.
LVG doesn't really have any brilliant ideas to be restricted by his rigidity. Passing backwards and sideways is something any coach can teach to any group of players. The brilliance is to convert them to a fluid attacking system that cut teams and score, something you yourself admitted he lacked so what's the brilliance idea in applying basic ideas learned by footballers in the academy ?

It's not his rigidity. They guy views the possession as the target itself. He wants the keep the ball as much as possible to prevent the opponent from getting. I'm struggling to understand the hard thing in teaching this to a group of professionals to call it "principles". Do you mean our players couldn't pass or build the attack before LVG learned them?

If LVG philosophy stops at teaching basic principles he's a crap coach, simple as that.

If you Look at 5 Principles of Attacking and Defending and Micro analyze them ,Which are penetration, support/depth, mobility, width and creativity/improvisation

Lvg's style lacked the penetration which is achived by running beyond the defensive midfeilders in space with the ball and finding players with a simple pass who are running beyond or are positionally beyond the def midfeilders of the opposition through the centre and in wide areas the penetration is achived via running beyond the full backs or cutting inside and finding players there with a simple pass. And for that you need mobility in the attacking midfeild which he restricted and forced the midfeilders to be positionally safe and not commit in attack through the middle. Pep and barcelona simply fixed that wrong piece in the philosophy. While Support/ Depth , Width, and Creativity/Improvization and Symetrical Passing in bal circlulation is still the the same
If he lacked all these in his claimed philosophy what was he doing then ? No penetration and no mobility = no attack. You're proving my ideas with this paragraph.

The 5 Defensive Principles are delay, depth, balance, concentration and composure/discipline/patience.

When you press the on rushing source of creativity in the middle and wide areas who is on the ball and on the support of that player You delay the oppositions pace of attack and force them to either loose the ball or pass it sideways and when you press wide areas too you force them to loose the ball or pass it backwards.
And again that's what I said. The guy is a highly defensive manager but instead of defending by parking the bus he defends by keeping possession of the ball to prevent the opponent from attacking. That's even worse than parking the bus, at least the later gives you chance to counter but in this terrible system you're just controlling the ball. You're not attacking and at the same time you hardly pull the opposition defenders away from their place to counter, resulting in what we were seeing. That's the worst football I have seen in my life.

The rest of what I say next is analysis of LVG system which I hardly disagree with but it contradicts all your talks about principles he put except if you believe sideways are principles to build on!

Lvg Built a good platform Like he Did with Bayern Munich But some of the pieces were missing which Mourinho did improve by buying the right players but we still needed players to improve the attacking principles of Width and creativity/ Improvization in wide areas.
Built a platform ? He destroyed the team and left in a mess for the next manager to solve. The way he renewed the team was mess in its finest. He got rid of the whole core of the team he got, sold more than 30 players in 2 seasons and added 9 players to the squad. That result is an empty squad lacking depth and quality in almost all positions except GK. Failing to challenge for the title all the rest isn't a surprised. It's because of the stupid way this squad had been built.

Renewal of a team is done gradually. You need to leave a certain core in the team then start replacing them step by step in order not to disturb the link between players and to keep good old players who can support the newcomers, then you should target highly talent players or proven ones to replace the old pieces. All this should be done gradually in a number of years. SAF had been the best manager I have ever seen in this regard. He was moving the team from a generation to the next smoothly and brilliantly.

What LVG was to sell all the team in 2 years, then bring a group of mediocre players to replace them, then he gives excuses of doing this to give chances youth, ha !

LVG has destroyed the squad, not built anything. The squad he left was bang average whose only ambition is to challenge for a top 4 spot.

Lvg's record against the top 5 teams in epl was fabolous but he struggled against smaller teams . Last season we faced big teams in first months and last months of the season and liv in january and our record against top 5 teams was very bad compared to lvg's.
That's hardly an achievement. WHU had a great record against big teams in LVG second season as well. We're not a small team to have all our ambitions in defeating big teams while we kept losing against all other crap ones. SAF lost twice against Liverpool in 2008/2009 but won the title and we mocked Liverpool fans for celebrating the win while we were celebrating the title.

Fellani was just a Plan B when all his plans failed.
And he's still as well plan b only so ?

LVG was the one who invented Fellaini as a striker so he wasn't even stick that much to these claimed principles.

That was a time when the money was not being spent to achive and build a super strong team every year. This is a new era. The Buying strength of teams can ensure they always remain on a very high level at all times and the Rivalry of clubs have taken the game to new level.
No money can replace players like Ronaldo or Messi. It's not like these players grew on the tree, and their insane goal record is somewhat unprecedentedly occur in football and won't be followed.

Entering the age of money when each superstar costs at least 80m each club will find it much harder to replace their superstars when leaving. The transmission from this generation to the next one won't be as simple with the money asked for each player and no one is forced to pay.

Barca has great attack but they have been loading the rest of the team with mediocre players depending on MSN. When Messi and Suarez are done, they will find big trouble with all the average players in the squad with no goal scoring machine upfront. With their strategies Barca future isn't actually that pretty. That's an example.

Chelsea was the last reactive counter attacking team to win the Ucl back then and inter was in 2010. Since then All 3 teams who have won the Ucl Play Proactive Posession based football and are dominant forces. Its not just because of the players but also the playing philosophy a huge factor in it. The platform that lvg Built and Heynecks and pep took forward at bayern made them the european force too. So this decade only 1 team won the ucl who played reactive counter attacking football.
The last 4 CLs have been won by only 2 teams. This point proves nothing tbh. I won't deny LVG put good foundations in Bayern but definitely not here.

Lvg Built the same Platform at united, Mourinho Improvised it last season and played Proactive Posession Football for majority of the season apart from Last one and half month and 1st month. We must not Ditch Basic Lvg Proactive Posession philosophy at all but Improvise on it in posession and find ways to achive more penetration Yet Playing on Posession.
Again after you criticized all his system up top you say he built a platform ? A platform of an average squad lacking depth and quality full of mediocre and overrated players whose only ambition is top 4 and all his tactics was to keep the possession and pass backwards and sideways all the game ?!

If that's what is considered a platform then I don't want it.

You give too much importance to some basic principles any assistant coach can teach.

Symetrical Side to Side ball circulation is just for finding more space and makes the game beautiful which is not a must but when there is lack of space A simple switch of sides should not be neglected which the likes of Pogba needs to be learning.
I don't disagree but the problem starts when this becomes your main tactic and you start doing it aimlessly, and again I don't think a group of professionals need w coach to teach them that.

No team can win all the time , But philosophies do win in longer time frame. We have to adapt to it since we are back in europe now.
Fact is the word " philosophy " can be applied to any manager. Any manager has his own philosophy of how to play the game. It's not restricted to possession football.

I'll have to go now so I mayn't replay on the next post immediately. Have your time. :D

Tom Van Persie

No relation
It's pre season you morons

Get a grip
Somebody needs to tell these people that we beat Barca 3-1 a few summers ago and we ended up finishing that season in 5th place. It really irritates me how much people take pre-season results so seriously. Modern day football eh.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
What I gather from this thread: Any and all criticism is strictly illegal because "it was a pre-season game" and it doesn't matter how underwhelming we're looking.

I'm going to say though that we're looking like last season, which I guess is not surprising.
The thing is most of us remember how amazing we looked in the two pre-season tours we played under LvG. We had convincing wins over Madrid, Liverpool, Barca etc and them two seasons weren't exactly great, were they? People using pre-season performances as an indication on how we're going to do this season are way off the mark.

Hamadovich86

Barca looked pretty frightening with Pedro and old David Villa on the wings. It's the philosophy that is the hardest to tackle for the other teams.
Well it depends on who you replace the players with, Pedro and especially David Villa are top players but if you have Bojan and Deulofeu playing there suddenly the philosophy isnt so frightening isnt it? A club philosophy, team strategy and match tactics are all super important and you need the right players to implement it. And one you have the GOAT plus two of the top 10 players in the world you'll scare the shit out of any team.

Parry Gallister

Only saw the first half. First 25 mins were pretty positive and very even, some inventive attacking play from us and good ball movement, only let down by some rushed final balls and maybe a sub-par finish or two. Could easily have been one up.

After that Barcelona dominated the half, midfield was bypassed, not the sort of game Carrick should be in imo.

Pogba, Blind, Jesse, Rashford, De Gea best players on our side.

Was the second half any good and did Martial look good?

parkthebuslads

It's a bit disingenuous for people to keep pretending that anyone feeling pessimistic is in anyway being influenced by results.

AdnanRED

Not bothered by results in pre-season. Especially after we beat barca with lvg and then had my hopes up only to watch the most boring stuff ever and struggle in the league. I like the way players have built some chemistry this pre-season, need 2 more mature in there prime players and we can challenge for the league, especially after looking at city and chelseas squad.

serghei

Supports
FC Barcelona
Well it depends on who you replace the players with, Pedro and especially David Villa are top players but if you have Bojan and Deulofeu playing there suddenly the philosophy isnt so frightening isnt it? A club philosophy, team strategy and match tactics are all super important and you need the right players to implement it. And one you have the GOAT plus two of the top 10 players in the world you'll scare the shit out of any team.
True, but we're more or less always going to have top players starting in attacking positions. No matter if some other teams have the same players, they won't be able to play like Barca. Because the cultural element, the philosophy, are not the same.

trevor newnham

Supports
Vigo RFC, Charlton
Only saw the first half. First 25 mins were pretty positive and very even, some inventive attacking play from us and good ball movement, only let down by some rushed final balls and maybe a sub-par finish or two. Could easily have been one up.

After that Barcelona dominated the half, midfield was bypassed, not the sort of game Carrick should be in imo.

Pogba, Blind, Jesse, Rashford, De Gea best players on our side.

Was the second half any good and did Martial look good?
BLIND >?????? Are you serious. He was the best passer in the side....for Barcelona. he gave the ball away every time he got it. Their goal was from yet another Blind misplaced pass. We desperately need a quality left back. Hopefully it will be Shaw because he is twice as quick as Blind...or Damian, for that matter. Otherwise, we have to get in the market for a left back. And pray to God, Herrera's injury is short term. I would play perira in fronnt of Fellaini every time. He's quicker, sees a better pass and doesnt give away constant ridiculous fouls

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
You need a couple of years more to add enough quality, gel as a team and make experience at higher levels. It is a bit like catching ropes if you see Atletico and Juventus as attainable targets already, they were not built in a day and their 2 CL recent finals put them right below Madrid, Barca and Bayern in the general consensus, while you are in the 10-15 bracket. That is to say both start with the QF as realistic target, while your main goal this year is passing the group stage and fight for the PL.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
You need a couple of years more to add enough quality, gel as a team and make experience at higher levels. It is a bit like catching ropes if you see Atletico and Juventus as attainable targets already, they were not built in a day and their 2 CL recent finals put them right below Madrid, Barca and Bayern in the general consensus, while you are in the 10-15 bracket. That is to say both start with the QF as realistic target, while your main goal this year is passing the group stage.
Hard to disagree with this. I fancy our chances of beating any of these sides in a cup tie, but in terms of consistency, we'll likely need another couple of years under Mourinho with stable development/progression before we're back at the top in terms of on-pitch performances.

It's why we need to sign a couple of more players this window. Jose needs to be allowed to construct his own team. Hard to manage in this climate of inflated fees, but it has to be done.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Feck me. The absolute state of this thread.

I enjoyed the game. First half we played well. Second half, not so much. Am loving Pogba this pre-season. Absolute monster.
Only saw the first half but, a couple of brain farts aside, thought we did well. We really threatened on the break and Pogba and Rashford both looked excellent against top opposition. A couple of top players would give us a very strong squad.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Didn't watch the game cos, you know, job. Still its a pre-season friendly. Why are so many people having a meltdown because we lost?

Also we lost to Barcelona. This isn't like back in the Moyes error when we lost to Thai all star XI! :lol:

prtk0811

You need a couple of years more to add enough quality, gel as a team and make experience at higher levels. It is a bit like catching ropes if you see Atletico and Juventus as attainable targets already, they were not built in a day and their 2 CL recent finals put them right below Madrid, Barca and Bayern in the general consensus, while you are in the 10-15 bracket. That is to say both start with the QF as realistic target, while your main goal this year is passing the group stage and fight for the PL.
Passing the group stage ? come on.