2017 Pre Season | Real Madrid vs Manchester United

Dave46

Wow, didn't the game change when Real Madrid introduced their youth team. They were all over us like a pack of pit bulls. They didn't give us an inch in possession, and for long periods we couldn't even get it off them. They had 5 missing from Spain's under 21 team too apparently. These guys will dominate for another decade. I shudder to think how many CLs they have to their name by then.
Our lack of mobility and agility in midfield was exposed against good opposition, once again. Our pedestrian midfield was nowhere in the 2nd half. And we're going to bring Matic in as well! Lol.
I wish we concentrated on bringing in quality young players like Real Madrid. Filling in the gaps with 28 years old journeyman will only put us further behind.
You are over reacting. The second half guys did not care about those kids.

Last edited:
You ate over reacting. The second half guys did not care about those kids.
Well I don't know whether to laugh or cry then. We should have simply dominated them if it was indeed possible. Obviously Herrera was a big loss, but we seem to rely on him too much to provide some drive.

Dave46

Well I don't know whether to laugh or cry then. We should have simply dominated them if it was indeed possible. Obviously Herrera was a big loss, but we seem to rely on him too much to provide some drive.
Jose said in the post game presser that the main guys wanted to play in the first half. I can see they kind of said whatever in the second half.

Listar

It's hard with these friendlies. If you win the other team did not try hard enough, if you lose then your quality and motivation will be questioned.

However, having said that, lindelof did look a suspect. Am worried if he is up to the task for the pace of PL

el3mel

I believe same applies to Madrid main lineup failing to dominate our second string in the first half as well. Both teams second string performed better than the main lineup, no need to make a drama out of it. I think Madrid fans will!hardly care for their players performance against our bench team in that half.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I hope Herrera's fit for the supercup. I want both United and Madrid to play their full strength sides just to see how well we fare and to hopefully produce a nice game.

I believe same applies to Madrid main lineup failing to dominate our second string in the first half as well. Both teams second string performed better than the main lineup, no need to make a drama out of it. I think Madrid fans will!hardly care for their players performance against our bench team in that half.
No drama. I just think the quality of Real Madrid's young players should give some food for thought. They must be excited in Madrid.

The_Order

Wow, didn't the game change when Real Madrid introduced their youth team. They were all over us like a pack of pit bulls. They didn't give us an inch in possession, and for long periods we couldn't even get it off them. They had 5 missing from Spain's under 21 team too apparently. These guys will dominate for another decade. I shudder to think how many CLs they have to their name by then.
Our lack of mobility and agility in midfield was exposed against good opposition, once again. Our pedestrian midfield was nowhere in the 2nd half. And we're going to bring Matic in as well! Lol.
I wish we concentrated on bringing in quality young players like Real Madrid. Filling in the gaps with 28 years old journeyman will only put us further behind.
Yup, I know its only a friendly and Herrera was killed, but Jose's persistence with Fellaini against mobile, technical and intelligent opponents makes the whole team look disjointed and slow

red thru&thru

Wow, some overreaction in here. For those who didn't watch the game, would've thought we lost by 3-4 goals. Did we not win on pens?

Yes, it wasn't our beat game, the second half but we were very good in the first half. Romero made one save of note, whereas KN had to pull out one or two smart saves. Let's not forget, we were playing La Liga & CL winners here.

Second half? We were ok but somewhat subdued after their pen. For some reason, their kids looked more fresh and up for it, which I guess is expected as they have something to prove.

Kant-ona

Good first half, bad second half.

Friendlies are just difficult to judge. Personally, I am just enjoying seeing the lads wearing the new kits.

(Blind with a nice penalty. Seconds after we failed through the middle, choosing the middle again. Cool guy.)

Hamadovich86

These matches are all about fitness, the result doesnt matter and in this case we actually won so nothing to complain about. The real test will be in the Super Cup until then we have to try and get close to match fitness.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
How was Pereira? If United dominated in the first half, hopefully he had a big role to play in that?

Couldn't watch the game!
Him and Fosu Mensah were pretty much the only 2 that impressed IMO. Keepers were fine of course, but the rest were pretty wank. Martial did ok I guess, best of a bad attacking bunch but had the moment of magic. Was a pretty dead game from both teams though.

chicha14

People are reacting on here as if Madrid's under u18's spanked us 5-0. Calm down, the point of these games are to gain fitness and avoid any injuries at all costs. We do not have to win every game by a large margin for it to be a success. People going on about how their youth outplayed us, the youth played better than their first team did, do you see Madrid fans panicking because their youth are better than their CL winning side? The game itself was pretty evenly matched throughout and fairly boring. The heat also took it's toll, those penalties were all tired penalties IMO. No need to panic.

vanderpants

I didn't get chance to watch the match last night, judging from peoples comments it was the same dire and boring football we played last season and nothing has changed ? Can't wait for the start of the season then ;) Just watched that clip above of the penalties, how bad was that !!! Well at least it's 4 wins out of 4 and Ed pulls his finger out and brings in some much wanted new faces, I can only live in hope

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
We are wank at pens. That much is clear. Need massive improvement in that area.
I don't think anyone of them will take penalties for us. Jose said he didn't his best penalty takers, might be true. Pogba, Lukaku, Mata, Herrera all will take before any of these players (except maybe Martial)

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
The penalties were die but some good saves. We can be pleased. There were a lot of changes. It don't matter if their youth had a good second half. You would expect that. It was a good work out and Barcelona will be a good work out too.

Andersons Dietician

Stop it. Martial has had his chances as a striker under two managers. There is a reason Rashford starts there when our first choice is out. If Martial gets back to his form in his first season I'd be all for it but at present time, he's not a better option.
When he was played upfront last year he was also better than Rashford was and you can see the threat when he is central. For me He should be the one getting that spot instead of being shifted out wide where he clearly doesn't want to play. He comes alive when given central opertunities.

podurban2

When he was played upfront last year he was also better than Rashford was and you can see the threat when he is central. For me He should be the one getting that spot instead of being shifted out wide where he clearly doesn't want to play. He comes alive when given central opertunities.
Rashford was way better than Martial last season and Martial has been poor in the striker role.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I agree. Think Rashford as a striker is so overrated. Offers nothing in terms of hold up play whereas the few times I saw Martial there, he looked hungry, full of running and had a physical presence.

Rashford suits being a second striker, or a free-roaming wide forward.

Martial for me is better up top, but right now has to knuckle down and get as much out of playing wide as he can and then start demanding to play centrally. Sulking isn't going to do him any favours.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Thought the first half we coped with their stars very well and deserved to take the lead. I think the injury to Ander so early in the second half derailed us slightly. Their kids wanted to impress so would put a lot of effort in. The penalty was a major brain freeze, but we got there in the end. Jones and Bailly were class in that first half as was TFM. Pereira did well. The run from Martial for the goal was outstanding and people leave Jesse alone, he worked his socks off, was our main threat on goal in that first half and was in the right place at the right time.

Oh and in future make sure we win games without having to go to penalties.

GimmeAKitKat

Four Brown Fingers
Shocking penalties but to be fair, those that missed aren't likely to ever be taking pens, it was just who doesn't usually get to take one and fancies having a go.

Apart from Mhiki i doubt any of those will get near a pen in a competitive game unless we partake in one of those epic shootouts where the first player comes round again.

humdinger

Just saw the highlights. Assumed people were exaggerating about Lindelof's penalty and tackle but they were both absolutely dreadful!!

Andersons Dietician

Rashford was way better than Martial last season and Martial has been poor in the striker role.
He was poor in one game against Wigan when asked to play like a target man and the team played like they had a 6ft 5 swede upfront. The rest of the time he was great. What is it Rashford has done that has you feeling this way?

Loublaze

ATLien
Shocking penalties but to be fair, those that missed aren't likely to ever be taking pens, it was just who doesn't usually get to take one and fancies having a go.

Apart from Mhiki i doubt any of those will get near a pen in a competitive game unless we partake in one of those epic shootouts where the first player comes round again.
Martial has taken a penalty before in a competitive game

Acole9

Outstanding
As the quality of the teams gets better so does the performances. It did dip in the second half and the penalty shootout was a shambles, but a wins a win.