2017 Pre Season | Sampdoria vs Manchester United

the hea

My feelings about Mata is that he does very little in our build up play or when our opponents have the ball. He really just tries to get in the box at the earliest opportunity. When he should be outside helping to develop the play he has already snuck in the box. This means that he will score a few goals resulting in some fans ignoring how little he contributes to our overall play. I find him frustrating because he is obviously skillful but I suspect that he is probably sneaky by nature. I would bench his tush and bring him on in times when we are chasing a game because the one ting he can do is sneak in the box at the right time to tap in a goal.
When it comes to Martial I am disappointed that he has not had enough playing time with Lukaku. I would have loved for them to develop an understanding and become twin terrors like Cole and Yorke. Martial dribbling into the box and knowing where Lukaku is going to be would make all our dreams come true.
In fact I am not seeing anyone besides Pogba really try to link up with Lukaku but I am old school and believe that our strikers should be the one taking the most shots to goal and Herrera and others should think first about feeding him the ball rather than going for a glorious long range shot. Its not as if he is static. I am not saying that Lukaku should be the only one shooting but as Zlatan said to Pogba give/ pass him the ball.
Seems like we have a similar view of him. I don't remember if it was on here or somewhere else but I once said he is a midfield poacher and I think that is a good description of him, he can spend 89 minutes on the field without even being noticed and then BAM he suddenly pops up in the box and scores a goal.

markhrad

Seems like we have a similar view of him. I don't remember if it was on here or somewhere else but I once said he is a midfield poacher and I think that is a good description of him, he can spend 89 minutes on field without even being noticed and then BAM he suddenly pops up in the box and scores a goal.
Apt description. " midfield poacher ".

TheReligion

Abusive
He thanked the board for getting him three signings but he wants four but he doesn't seem too hopeful about it and what with the news about Perisic tonight it looks like our business might be done.
Nah. You don't show your hand. First rule of the transfer game. You'll learn son.

Robertd0803

:lol: feck me lighten up. They were having a little fun
Nah still think it was stupid attention seeking and embarrassing that it went viral.

Anyway nice to see Matic settling in nicely, Miki keeping up the scoring and Martial running at defences for fun. The indirect free kick in the box was just comical all round from Blinds backpass, David Mays commentary and the fact we scored from it :lol:

WhoDaGOAT

Any of you who stood up for more than one Mexican wave should be ashamed of yourself. That was cringeworthy.

edgar allan

I think tonight demonstrates again that Lukaku ( like Ibra last year) is wasted up front on his own. If we are going to score enough goals to compete in the PL Jose needs to change his mindset.

Android1974

Incredibly anal about player positions in lineups
I think tonight demonstrates again that Lukaku ( like Ibra last year) is wasted up front on his own. If we are going to score enough goals to compete in the PL Jose needs to change his mindset.
Wow, imagine if he was really playing alone upfront (and Mkhitaryan, and Mata afterwards, weren't all over him), what would you say.

el3mel

Can you name a box to box player Jose has signed or selected in the mould of a Herrera?

I think of Essien, Maniche, Khedira, Fellaini, Mikel, Muntari etc as his type of box to box player - big, strong, physical fecks.
No need to list names. Jose himself said Herrera is one of the most intelligent players he ever managed and he already loves him and see how important to his system. He loves Fellaini but he had never managed to steal the place from Herrera and was always playing with him not instead of him so your assumptions is strange. Jose sees Herrera as one of his "players" already.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
I would not call khedira big, he's tall but he isn't big nor is he a box to box midfielder. Mikel is not someone I would immediately describe as big strong, physical. Maybe earlier in his career he was box to box, but he isn't that player. Fellaini is never really been out and out box to box for us. It's only really Essian I've seen.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
Sorry just seen this now. Was talking about his expectations for the season both personal and team. Covered squad happiness and the video of him playfighting with Joel Pereira.

Seemed extremely happy and was good to see.

Maybe @GifLord will be able to find a clip of it?

Tosicsleftpeg

Haven't managed to watch any of the games live in pre season unfortunately as don't have MUTV but I watched the highlights today and was impressed by a few things despite only having watched extended highlights.

I thought the system looked good, our squad didn't really suit playing 2 high wingers as we don't really have the players in the squad to be able to employ the 4 3 3 effectively all the time. We were getting masses of crossed into the box and both of our goals resulted in balls played into the box (the Mata goal obviously more of a cutback but still technically a cross) Valencia is fantastic as a wing back as we've seen for a while now.

Rashford and Martial are both looking very confident as well which only bodes well for us, really looking forward to the season starting now.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
fantastic run from valencia for our first goal; woeful defending from valencia for their equaliser. no more needs to be said

edgar allan

Wow, imagine if he was really playing alone upfront (and Mkhitaryan, and Mata afterwards, weren't all over him), what would you say.
He was left isolated om a good few occasions and Valencia was left at the prospect of crossing into an empty box also.
Lukaku is going to earn his wage this year for sure.

Android1974

Incredibly anal about player positions in lineups
He was left isolated om a good few occasions and Valencia was left at the prospect of crossing into an empty box also.
Lukaku is going to earn his wage this year for sure.
He was so isolated that the small Mkhitaryan got all the headers in the box.

edgar allan

He was so isolated that the small Mkhitaryan got all the headers in the box.
Yeah a few times, and a good few times he won a high ball and was on his own. If Jose has the courage to play Martial/Rashford well up against Lukaku I can see us scoring alot of goals this year.[/QUOTE]

marlowe78

The encouraging signs were seeing Pogba playing closer to goal with Matic behind him and a solid half for Mkhitaryan. Lukaku, though, has disappointed me so far. He is faster than Ibra but I think skill-wise he's a significant step down from him. When Lukaku has his back to goal or is in a tight area, I don't have the feeling that he can create a goal-scoring opportunity out of nothing like Ibra so often did. I think Jose should be looking at, someway and somehow, using 4-3-3 so that Lukaku has the runners to create space for him. If we continue having a single man up top, we'll run into the same kinds of problems as Ibra where he's either getting no service or he keeps dropping deep to help us get forward.

I've had the nagging feeling that we'll again be struggling for goals, even though we have players for a very good attack. The one goal we scored yesterday, for example, was when Sampdoria had players forward for a free kick taken in our box, which is very rare. It was a nice counterattack - Valencia and Darmian both made decisive plays - but it came out of an odd moment in the game. This has been an ongoing pattern - we seem to nick goals when the opposition makes a bad mistake or we're able to get it onto Fellaini's head. We just can't seem to create goals with the opposition in front of us.

The second half was poor until the last 15 minutes or so, even taking into account the many changes (and Sampdoria keeping all 11 out from the 1st half). Our passing was all over the place and we had trouble just holding onto the ball. Herrera was unlucky in hitting the post but for much of the half he looked lost. Fellaini, Tuanzebe, and Joel Pereira were about the only ones who played well. Even Mata was nondescript before scoring.

Outside of the goal, we were okay defensively. Lindelof, though, I am concerned about. CBs especially need time to settle into a new team but he looks overawed by the task ahead and is not even getting the basics right. He might develop into a very good player for us but you wonder how many points he might cost us early in the season. I also don't think making him one of the CBs in a 3 will do him any favors, as he won't have the support of a FB in a back 4.

So I guess the big element of the day - Matic. Mkhitaryan MOTM.

edgar allan

The second half was poor until the last 15 minutes or so, even taking into account the many changes (and Sampdoria keeping all 11 out from the 1st half). Our passing was all over the place and we had trouble just holding onto the ball. Herrera was unlucky in hitting the post but for much of the half he looked lost. Fellaini, Tuanzebe, and Joel Pereira were about the only ones who played well. Even Mata was nondescript before scoring.

Outside of the goal, we were okay defensively. Lindelof, though, I am concerned about. CBs especially need time to settle into a new team but he looks overawed by the task ahead and is not even getting the basics right. He might develop into a very good player for us but you wonder how many points he might cost us early in the season. I also don't think making him one of the CBs in a 3 will do him any favors, as he won't have the support of a FB in a back 4.

So I guess the big element of the day - Matic. Mkhitaryan MOTM.
I though Pereira had a shocker, I was really looking forward to seeing him but nothing went right for him on the night.
He gave the ball way frequently and his crossing was hopeless.

marlowe78

I though Pereira had a shocker, I was really looking forward to seeing him but nothing went right for him on the night.
He gave the ball way frequently and his crossing was hopeless.
You must be speaking about Andreas Pereira. I agree that he didn't play very well, was rushing his passes and just looked too overanxious in whatever he did. I'm a fan of him, though, I think he has the tools to succeed.

Last edited:

edgar allan

You must be speaking about Ander Pereira. I agree that he didn't play very well, was rushing his passes and just looked too overanxious in whatever he did. I'm a fan of him, though, I think he has the tools to succeed.
Yes sorry, my mistake. I agree he looked anxious.