2018 PGA and Golf in General

Lj82

Poulter with the postbox outfit on! :lol::lol::lol:
Lol. Incredible scenes.

Molinari the clear player of the tournament. Amazing golf. Super consistency.

Some great upsets. Poulter handing the world number one player his first solo defeat of the Ryder Cup. Oleson beating Spieth.

Casey almost beating Koepka

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Amazing day.
  • Molinari first European to go 5-0 and does so with the match-winning concede that decided the Ryder Cup. First man to go 5-0 in Ryder Cup and win a major in the same season.
  • Sergio becoming the all-time leading points scorer in the Ryder Cup.
  • Olesen and Rahm winning so all Europeans won at least one match.
  • Postman Poulter beating the world #1 and delivering again. Only 2-2 overall, but no shame in the two losses being against the best American pair.
  • Fleetwood getting hammered but losing his shit in the celebrations.
  • Woods going 0-4 for the weekend. Mickelson 0-2.
  • Biggest winning margin by the victors since 2006. Europe have now won 9 of the last 12 matches.
AND NOREN SINKING THAT feckING PUPPY

Robbo's Shoulder

Supports
United and Barrow AFC
Absolutely fantastic, bit squeaky bum at 1 point but so many great performances out there.
On a side note, why do the Americans all seem spoilt little childs?

Lj82

All the others piling on top of him as if it was the winning put. :lol: It's going to be an epic party, that's for sure.
It was a great way to end the tournament!
Fantastic putt to win his game after his opponent had laid up perfectly. I guess it also helps Noren erase memories of his game yesterday when he dragged Garcia down

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
One thing that has been missed in the aftermath is the age of some of the Europeans, and based on history we might have seen them in their last Ryder Cup. Westwood faded away and couldn’t qualify at 45 this time. Poulter and Stenson will be 44 next time, Casey 43, Garcia 40 (and has faded badly over the past two years). All four of these guys relied on wildcards and were the eldest in the team. Rose might still be playing well at 40, but it could well be a very different, less experienced European team in two years time.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
One thing that has been missed in the aftermath is the age of some of the Europeans, and based on history we might have seen them in their last Ryder Cup. Westwood faded away and couldn’t qualify at 45 this time. Poulter and Stenson will be 44 next time, Casey 43, Garcia 40 (and has faded badly over the past two years). All four of these guys relied on wildcards and were the eldest in the team. Rose might still be playing well at 40, but it could well be a very different, less experienced European team in two years time.
I reckon Poulter could get us a point on the last day of the Ryder Cup swinging from a wheelchair at 90 years old

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
On a serious note, wasn’t it refreshing to see golf being played on a proper set up where you were rewarded for accuracy over distance? With some exceptions the yanks failed to grasp that. It wasn’t a coincidence that Molinari was 5-0. Also, Tiger & Mickelson looked as if they didn’t want to be there; that’s 6 points lost.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
On a serious note, wasn’t it refreshing to see golf being played on a proper set up where you were rewarded for accuracy over distance? With some exceptions the yanks failed to grasp that. It wasn’t a coincidence that Molinari was 5-0. Also, Tiger & Mickelson looked as if they didn’t want to be there; that’s 6 points lost.
Yes but at the same time I think a course should reward some element of risk. The best courses in the world do this brilliantly, this one, not so much.

Kag

As someone said, "This is the first thing you tweet after the Ryder Cup?"
No problem with this. The Tour can be a lonely place and it’s tradition to get in on the piss after the event, irrespective of whether or not they win. Golfers (on both sides) don’t mope around after a Ryder Cup loss. Why would they?

Kag

Pretty good event in the end. Europe hit fairways and holed more putts. That’s about all there is to it. I don’t think we got to see enough of the 18th, mind.

Got to say, though, I’m sharp getting sick of the inflated role of captaincy. It makes watching the coverage (McGinley, Jesus!) border on gruelling. Apart from playing Mickelson in the foursomes (which was always strange), Furyk was responsible for little else. The rest is up to the players.

I read a horrific article earlier that criticised the captain’s picks (even though it was Bjorn who was, laughably in itself, initially criticised for his). Finau, Woods and Bryson were quite literally the hottest men on the planet when they were picked. You don’t contest that in hindsight.

I thought the course was cracking, too. Fantastic layout with some very special holes.

The Purley King

I think it’s great we can have a course where having to belt the ball 300+ yards off the tee is not a necessity to get a good score.
Loved watching on Sunday what a great day!

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
No problem with this. The Tour can be a lonely place and it’s tradition to get in on the piss after the event, irrespective of whether or not they win. Golfers (on both sides) don’t mope around after a Ryder Cup loss. Why would they?
Not something like "Congrats Europe" first before Phil showing off?

Lj82

Reed had an interview with NYT and criticised Speith for not wanting to partner him. He also criticised Furyk for not playing him more, saying someone with a great Ryder Cup credential like him sounsh not be benched.

What a crybaby. He played horribly in the first two days!

diarm

That poor woman who was hit by Koepkas drive has lost the sight in her right eye (apparently the eyeball exploded! :eek:).

She says she is looking to sue the organisers for not providing a warning before the ball went into the crowd. I'm not sure how I feel about that - the player did shout "Fore" and I believe that when you attend a golf tournament you are accepting the risk that you may be hit by a wayward shot.

Still feel desperate for her though. It's a terribly unfortunate outcome.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
That poor woman who was hit by Koepkas drive has lost the sight in her right eye (apparently the eyeball exploded! :eek:).

She says she is looking to sue the organisers for not providing a warning before the ball went into the crowd. I'm not sure how I feel about that - the player did shout "Fore" and I believe that when you attend a golf tournament you are accepting the risk that you may be hit by a wayward shot.

Just saw that this morning. She's likely to never regain sight in it.

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire

At least Koepka shouted Fore. I know it didn't help this lady, but when you see the damage it can do, I find it incredible the amount of players, particularly on the PGA tour that don't shout fore.

Not shouting fore in the hope of a good bounce off of someone's head is a fairly shitty thing to do.

Last edited:

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
At least Koepka shouted Fore. I know it didn't help this lady, but when you see the damage it can do, I find it incredible the amount of players, particularly on the PGA tour that don't shout fore.

Not shouting fore in the hope of a good bounce off of someone's head is a fairly shitty thing to do.
This.

On the note of her legal actions, I understand it’s to cover her medical costs (at least so is claimed).

I wonder what precedent there is and what responsibilities organisers have?

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Surely can’t expect players to pay out for hitting someone who’s stood in a place you could reasonably expect the ball to go.

I’d imagine the event would have insurance though, I’ve seen policies for similar things at work for F1.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
As an amateur hacker I've always had my own insurance in case I hit someone, or get hit by someone else.

For full time pros surely they would have their own as you see spectators hit regularly.

Lj82

Johnson and Koepka had a scrap at the post-tournament festivities, apparently.

Reed has also bitched about Spieth, saying their partnership was broken up because Spieth didn't want to play with him.
Now an anonymous member of the team has come out to slam Reed, saying that he begged to be pair with Tiger. Also criticised him for playing poorly on Saturday and that he was a burden to Tiger.

Camy89

Love Island obsessive
So the lady that got hit by Koepka's ball and was blinded in one eye is now saying 'She could have died':

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/golf/45734449

Now, what happened was terrible, and she's been incredibly unfortunate. However, part of me feels she's just got euro signs in her eye(s). In what way could the organisers stop her getting hit? I just don't quite understand her angle on this.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Mrs Remande said she was "very angry" about a number of issues:

She believes the marshals should have warned that a ball was coming as spectators would not have heard shouts of 'fore' from the tee.

She says the marshals did not communicate that players were attempting to drive for the green instead of laying up on the fairway.

She claims officials did not check on her or visit her after she was taken to hospital.

She alleges there was a lack of safety warnings on the ticket and signage around the venue.
As bad as I really do feel for her, this is frankly bullshit.

They couldn't hear the shouts of fore from the tee? Give me a break, you absolutely can.

How would marshalls know what shot the player is going to opt for? And lack of safety warnings is crap, it'll be on the ticket for a start.

It's a horrible accident and terrible for her, but suing the organisers is a bullshit move.

Ainu

I find these accusations that she's just after money a bit bizarre. She's just learned that she will have to live the rest of her life without depth of sight. That's just tragic, it's hard to even imagine how much of an impact that can have on someone's life. It's a freak accident and she's probably taking it out on the wrong people by suing the organisation (no one's really to blame), but I have a lot of sympathy for her.