2019/20 Rivals - Arsenal

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Emery will probably start the season hoping Mikhi can wake up and offer something. If not Nelson will have even more chances to show what he can do. He's only 19 but if he can replace Iwobi and we manage to ship Mikhi off, that would save us a huge amount of money that can be put towards a CB.

Ooh2B

Supports
Arsenal
I’m delighted with all that business. At least the club are making moves!

Here’s hoping they all work out.

I am a bit sad to see Iwobi go, but £35 million!

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.

Your defence is still ultra shite

JMack1234

I like every single of their transfers apart from Luiz which seems a barmy move.

Che Guevara

Supports
Celtic
Your defence is still ultra shite
You can't look at their defence in isolation from the rest of the team. Most teams with good midfields and sharp strike forces (and Arsenal have a decent midfield and a very sharp strike force this season) can manage their defensive vulnerabilities by putting the opposition under immense pressure. Even Barca were once like that at some point.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
You can't look at their defence in isolation from the rest of the team. Most teams with good midfields and sharp strike forces (and Arsenal have a decent midfield and a very sharp strike force this season) can manage their defensive vulnerabilities by putting the opposition under immense pressure. Even Barca were once like that at some point.
They will probably go through the 'liverpool before VVD' time. Great attack but a clusterfeck at the back. Difficult to expect a title challenge or even consistentcy without proper defence.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal

Mustafi cost us 35 million...just think about that for a bit.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Not happy if we lose Iwobi.
Same, crap business from us.

Only silver lining is that we should see Nelson get some time. But if it ends up going to Mkhi, who we should have sold, then I will be very frustrated.

It would have been OK if we invested that money into that Upa. from Liepzig, but we didn't. So it's likely money that we won't see again knowing Kreonke. Not sure if we can expect Raul to pull off coups like he has every window.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
I think Arsenal have had a better window than Spurs.

That said they still haven't sorted the CB issue for me. I don't really rate Luiz and on paper it just looks like you can get at them.

They'll be tasty going forward so I expect they will have an exciting season but will still leak goals.
Very typically Arsenal post the Cole/Campbell/Toure/Lauren era.

Our defense was a shambles last season, and whilst we have signed a great young LB it's the CB situation that needed to be addressed the most.

We have effectively just replaced Koscielny with Luiz. I personally don't see that as an improvement on an already poor defensive situation.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
They addressed all their weaknesses apart from CB which they might have even declined in.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
No more #Kronke out blud shit from AFTV this season. They've backed Emery and fooled us all with this budget limit smokescreen. No excuses, top four or out.
There should always be #KreonkeOut. This successful window is on Raul and not Kreonke. He's worked his magic within some constraints.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Very typically Arsenal post the Cole/Campbell/Toure/Lauren era.

Our defense was a shambles last season, and whilst we have signed a great young LB it's the CB situation that needed to be addressed the most.

We have effectively just replaced Koscielny with Luiz. I personally don't see that as an improvement on an already poor defensive situation.

I think Kos would have been on the injured list more. He breaks down quite regularly now.

Ooh2B

Supports
Arsenal
The Koz issue was handled very nicely by the club. They stuck to their guns (pun intended) with regard to a transfer fee and not letting him away for nothing. Plus, it never really blew up the way it could have regarding his behaviour, albeit he’s fecked his 9 year legacy for himself.

The Luiz transfer seems like a very nice bit of wheeling and dealing by Raul, considering the timeframe/budget constraints?/lack of decent, available talent etc. himself and his team did a really decent job this window.

Balotelli's Bib

Supports
Arsenal
Really impressed with our transfers. Would have been nice to move Mustafi on, but it cant all happen in one window.

Not fussed on Iwobi, 35 mil is a good price to cash in on. Good luck to him though, always gave 100%.

I also wish Welbz all the best, shame injuries have blighted him the last few years.

On paper we look good for top 4, will be interesting to see where we are come Christmas. Great to see the board backing Emery and splashing some cash to at least try get us back into the Champions League.

While our defense is still suspect, I believe if we play 3 at the back with 2 wingbacks we should be harder to beat.

Tierney / Kolasinac Bellerin / Niles
Holding / Tierney , Luiz , Sokratis

Of course Tierney, Holding and Bellerin are yet to come back from injury, but I expect to see something like this, especially away from home when they return.

With Ozil still here, and the pacey front 3 in front of him I'd hope he is licking his lips for easy assists.

Footy is almost here!!!

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM

Only silver lining is that we should see Nelson get some time. But if it ends up going to Mkhi, who we should have sold, then I will be very frustrated.

It would have been OK if we invested that money into that Upa. from Liepzig, but we didn't. So it's likely money that we won't see again knowing Kreonke. Not sure if we can expect Raul to pull off coups like he has every window.
Not convinced by Nelson yet. Not sure what he’s done to lead us to think he’s ready for this kind of role. And the less said about Mhiki the better...

I’m assuming that Upamecano is still a target, so fingers crossed for Jan/ next summer.

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
I think we’ll play:

Leno

Bellerin Sokratis Luiz Tierney

Ceballos Torreira Xhaka

Pepe Lacazette Aubameyang
With a second side looking like:

Martinez

Mainland-Niles Chambers Holding Kolasinac

Guendouzi Willock

Mhikitaryan Özil Nelson

Martinelli
And you then have the likes of Mustafi, Monreal, El Neny, Saka, Smith-Rowe (going back to Liepzig?) and probably some others I’m missing. It’s better than last season but there are definitely gaps in the squad. We’re very reliant on the front three staying fit...

NoPace

My understanding of the advanced stats and well, the eye test seem to both support the idea that Iwobi could be a great CM but he's poor in the final 3rd. I do wonder if he'll be the next winger to become a top CM, like Schweinsteiger, Dembele (was a striker too I guess), Rakitic and others.

Che Guevara

Supports
Celtic
They will probably go through the 'liverpool before VVD' time. Great attack but a clusterfeck at the back. Difficult to expect a title challenge or even consistentcy without proper defence.
I don't think their defence is as awful as people make it out to be. They have added Luiz and Tierney. Chambers (best Fulham player last season) and Holding (one of their best defenders before his injury) are back. I think they will finish higher than last season.

MC89

Supports
Celtic
When arsenal play Norwich, paddy will be in direct competition with KT:eek:

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
My understanding of the advanced stats and well, the eye test seem to both support the idea that Iwobi could be a great CM but he's poor in the final 3rd. I do wonder if he'll be the next winger to become a top CM, like Schweinsteiger, Dembele (was a striker too I guess), Rakitic and others.
I've maintained for a few seasons now that Iwobi could become a quality CM. I really wish we would have given it a go at some point - in fact this is what I've been telling my Everton supporting mates that have asked me about him.

MalBot

Supports
Arsenal
Really impressed with our transfers. Would have been nice to move Mustafi on, but it cant all happen in one window.

Not fussed on Iwobi, 35 mil is a good price to cash in on. Good luck to him though, always gave 100%.

I also wish Welbz all the best, shame injuries have blighted him the last few years.

On paper we look good for top 4, will be interesting to see where we are come Christmas. Great to see the board backing Emery and splashing some cash to at least try get us back into the Champions League.

While our defense is still suspect, I believe if we play 3 at the back with 2 wingbacks we should be harder to beat.

Tierney / Kolasinac Bellerin / Niles
Holding / Tierney , Luiz , Sokratis

Of course Tierney, Holding and Bellerin are yet to come back from injury, but I expect to see something like this, especially away from home when they return.

With Ozil still here, and the pacey front 3 in front of him I'd hope he is licking his lips for easy assists.

Footy is almost here!!!
This can still happen this window.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Arsenal have had a fantastic window in my opinion. They usually dont but they really did some great business and there team is a better team then last season. I love every signing they made.

As for the David Luiz opinions I would agree with you except....he was 8M! In todays market that is peanuts and too get a proven and experienced EPL defender who at his best is a good EPL player is great business. For 8M they win either way. If he does great he was an 8M steal. If he does bad he was only 8M and they can EASILY get that money back in todays market.

Great window!

Fooza

I really don't get why everyone is going on about how Arsenal have had a great window. Apart from Pepe, the rest have been very average. Especially Luiz :lol: Chelsea are no mugs, they let him go for a reason and I won't be surprised if he ends up injured throughout his spell there.

On Pepe I want to see how he fits in the premier league, as it is a big step up from the league he was in, he's still a risk imo. Only success is they got rid of deadwood but Aaron Ramsey will be a huge miss.

I think it'll be us and Arsenal battling for 4th this season. May the best team win :devil:

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
I really don't get why everyone is going on about how Arsenal have had a great window. Apart from Pepe, the rest have been very average. Especially Luiz :lol: Chelsea are no mugs, they let him go for a reason and I won't be surprised if he ends up injured throughout his spell there.

On Pepe I want to see how he fits in the premier league, as it is a big step up from the league he was in, he's still a risk imo. Only success is they got rid of deadwood but Aaron Ramsey will be a huge miss.

I think it'll be us and Arsenal battling for 4th this season. May the best team win :devil:
Yeah, this. Their midfield and defensive on paper is very underwhelming. I’d certainly say ours is better. Not sure about Pepe yet but Auba/Laca were better than Rashford/Martial last season.

Krovv

RedCafe Verified
Supports
Arsenal
Can we still sell players to teams from other leagues? I know the transfer window is shut for English clubs but does that stop them from selling to say Real Madrid till September?

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Can we still sell players to teams from other leagues? I know the transfer window is shut for English clubs but does that stop them from selling to say Real Madrid till September?
Yeah that’s right. We can still sell players until the end of the month.

Balotelli's Bib

Supports
Arsenal

Tierney, Saliba, Ceballos (loan) and Luiz are very average signings? Let's see how they fare after a few games first? Saliba is one for next year, but I really don't understand how you have come to your conclusion.

Can you share why you think these players are very average?

Luiz for 8 mil when we desperately needed defensive reinforcements is good business. Pretty sure he went for like 50 mil only a few seasons ago?

You can have 4th, I reckon we'll get 3rd this season.

Krovv

RedCafe Verified
Supports
Arsenal
Why can't we sell Ozil to some Turkish outfit?
MLS or China is our best bet at this point. The guy earns too much for most leagues and doesn’t give a crap about playing football anymore so none of the big European teams want him. I wish we had a better striker than Giroud in his first season with us — Özil had a decent season but he never improved after that.

Amarsdd

Tierney, Saliba, Ceballos (loan) and Luiz are very average signings? Let's see how they fare after a few games first? Saliba is one for next year, but I really don't understand how you have come to your conclusion.

Can you share why you think these players are very average?

Luiz for 8 mil when we desperately needed defensive reinforcements is good business. Pretty sure he went for like 50 mil only a few seasons ago?

You can have 4th, I reckon we'll get 3rd this season.
Saliba - potential, but he's not at Arsenal this season. So no help for your team this season
Tierney - coming back from injury, and he is coming from the Scottish league and that also playing for Celtic who is a level above most teams there
Ceballos - this one I think is a wildcard. He's replacing an important player for you guys and don't think he's as good as him yet. Also depends a lot on how he settles and also how willing he is to give his all as he's on loan.
Luiz - if Arsenal is planning on playing a back 3, then he is a good buy. But in a back 4 he has always been suspect. And yeah he was 50 mil when he was in his prime, he's 32-33 now?

Last edited:

Balotelli's Bib

Supports
Arsenal
Saliba - potential, but he's not at Arsenal this season. So no help for your team this season
Tierney - coming back from injury, and he is coming from the Scottish league and that also playing for Celtic who is a level above most teams there
Ceballos - this one I think is a wildcard. He's replacing an important player for you guys and don't think he's as good as him yet. Also depends a lot on how he settles and also how willing he is to give his all as he's on loan.
Luiz - if Arsenal is planning on playing a back 3, then he is a good buy. But in a back 4 he has always been suspect. And yeah he was 50 mil when he was in his prime, he's 32-33 now?
I agree about Luiz playing in a back 3. He is a ball playing center half. I mentioned this in my previous posts. If we see him played in a back 4 I'll be worried.

Tierney is a humble lad, will give everything for the shirt. Still hasnt kicked a ball for us so I cant comment on his quality. If we are talking about his time for Celtic he was always a tidy player. His 'injury' was a hernia, not expecting that to effect his football career in the slightest.

Ceballos from the limited time I've watched him l quite like the look of. An aggressive box to box midfielder looking for the forward pass and link up play.

When CBs are going for 80 mil now Saliba could be an absolute steal at 25. Hopefully he has a good year and progresses nicely out on loan.

Seems weird that they get labelled as very average signings before they've even kicked a ball for us. On paper, I'd say they were what we needed, they were what we could afford, and that it's a bloody nice change to see Arsenal actually doing proper business in the transfer window.

As mentioned before I predict we'll finish 3rd this season. Comfortably.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
The thing with Arsenal is this window is a good start but the main thing they need to focus on is improving the mentality at the club, without that it will be a case of same old maybe with a few extra points due to Pepe's individual quality (which in fairness could be enough for top 4 but still). It's easy to say Luiz can offer leadership and a winning mentality but Cech and Alexis both fell into that category too.

It's something that has to start from the top and can't happen overnight.